Options

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    you finally looked at your own sig?

No, I have no clue where my DS wireless dongle is, and the home network is currently all wired and I'm realizing now how much of a bear it'd be to add a wireless router in for what would essentially be just for the DS.

Have fun trying to get that dongle to work on Win7, too. Unpossible!

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Curses used to be a big deal in older DQ games when people didn't expect them. Also there was less equipment and upgrades, so you'd be deep in this dungeon and find an awesome-looking item and put it on immediately and suddenly you're being choked for 5 HP every step. It was a challenge to get out alive and it taught you a lesson in caution, and made those early NES games feel a bit more complicated and dangerous.

Nowadays you've got more tools to help you survive it to get back to a church, so they're just an annoyance. I haven't been cursed in this game yet, but if it's the way I think it is:

- The item is not uncursed, it's just that you can unequip it now; if you put it back on, you're cursed again
    - You can keep it equipped but any negative effects it has will still be in effect

IIRC the best whip for Jessica in DQ9 was cursed, but it was so much better than any other whip that you still did more damage despite losing a turn being "tangled in the whip" every once in a while.
    Unless there's something better than the Gringham Whip in DQ8, the best one isn't cursed I think. Besides, now that Alchemy exists most cursed things can be alchemised with Saint's Ashes to remove the curse and give you an upgraded, uncursed item.

But Curse was an absolute joke in DQ8 anyway, since the main character was immune to all forms of curses, including cursed equipment. :lol:

edit: Just made it to Alltrades in my new game...debating doing some grinding for alchemy ingredients to build up a bunch of Gigasteel equipment.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Arcus wrote: »
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Is there a fygg in dourbridge? I've talked to a guy who says the dude who lives in the house in the middle of town had one (I don't even know which house its reffering to) then found a dude in a bar saying he traded it but now who to.

Sort of...
    After talking around town you find the fygg has been sold from one hand to another, finally ending up with a guy who lives near a quarry and shapes stone

Also, I know the remake calls him Kiryl, and that may be his actual japanese name, but to me that dude is Cristo 4 lyfe!

Do i have to talk to everyone or can I just skip to the guy?

Actually I don't really think you need to talk to everyone. Truthfully I just went and explored the place after the town and it was mentioned when I got up there.

Arcus on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Anecdotal and all that but...

At least at my store it seems like this is doing a bit better than average. As of last night we had 3 copies left from our third shipment.

Thats about 10-12 copies sold in the store in a week alone. And yet we only had 2 preorders. Im thinking nintendo's advertising might be doing the trick. I would not be surprised (and honestly hope) to see this break the top 10 for the july NPD.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    143999 wrote: »

No, I have no clue where my DS wireless dongle is, and the home network is currently all wired and I'm realizing now how much of a bear it'd be to add a wireless router in for what would essentially be just for the DS.

(Seriously, though. If anyone knows how to make this work, enlighten me. I've tried eveything.)

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

(Seriously, though. If anyone knows how to make this work, enlighten me. I've tried eveything.)

I got it to work though mind you its a bit convoluted and might cost you some cash.

I grabbed virtualbox and installed an instance of XP in it (Got a free copy of XP from my college for being a tech student). From there I installed the drivers and program inside XP, and then run it from there.

:lol:

Zerokku on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    for getting the device to work did you follow this walkthrough?
    [link]http://pokeh.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/how-to-get-the-nintendo-wifi-usb-connector-working-in-windows-7/[/link] just curious

Pailryder on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Here's how to get the Nintendo Wifi Dongle to work in Windows 7.

1. Throw the Nintendo Wifi Dongle in the trash.
    2. Go to your nearest electronics store.
    3. Purchase an Apple Airport
    4. Connect the Airport up in "Create a Wireless Network" mode.

Worked like a charm for me (with thanks to the fine folks in Mo's Tech Tavern). :)

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a feeling I'm the only person on the planet who constantly hears this, but... every time I go into a church and hear the church music start playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-3scZXke9k

I somehow always think I'm about to hear this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYGZOnGjdg

It's in a different key, yeah, but maybe at least somebody else out there hears it too? :P

Captain K on
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I finally found a way to get flurry feathers relatively easily...only to discover that the thing that I was gathering them in order to create (a staff of divine wrath) is practically worthless. :(

I guess I'll try to make a lightning staff next. Just have to find a dependable source of thunderballs (or exploit the regenerating blue chests, whatever ends up being faster.)

The very small island on the very east side of the map above the one with the Yggdrasil tree. 3 thunderballs, and the guy who gives the gladiator quests. Now I'm off to purchase the strategy guide!

Athaedos on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK I remember finding the triple stack metal slimes but can't remember where. A little help please?

Also I finally decided to switch classes up. My main is now a Warrior, I kept my mage, but my Martial artists is now a Priest and my thief is now a Ranger with an axe.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Metal Medleys (the stacked metal slimes) are in the Bad Cave by Bloomingdale.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Metal Medleys (the stacked metal slimes) are in the Bad Cave by Bloomingdale.

aw yeah, thanks

Algertman on
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, kind of a newb question, but can you trade maps with someone you've already tagged? That is:

If I have tagged my wife's game, and then get a new map, can we tag again, and trade the map?

Also, how many maps get traded per person per tag? i.e. If I had map A and she had maps X, Y, and Z, and we tag, do I end up with maps, A, X, Y, and Z? Or does she pick one and I end up with only one of the X, Y, or Z maps?

Thanks for you help and I'm sorry if this info was somewhere else in this thread!

HD

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are we 100% certain that overworld resources take 1-6 hours to respawn? It's been well over 12 hours and some items haven't respawned when I checked.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This has proven useful. I'm already ahead on some of my gear.

Alchemy List!

I've been farming Reapers for Evencloth. So many easy early recipes that use it.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are we 100% certain that overworld resources take 1-6 hours to respawn? It's been well over 12 hours and some items haven't respawned when I checked.

I'm also utterly confused about respawn times. It looks to be randomized in some form, but I've had random amounts of time work with respawns. I swear my fisticups spawn hasn't happened in days, while other I've been farming other things like royal soil with ease.

Arcus on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Someone at GameFAQs said he waited 40 hours for something that still hadn't spawned, but after staying at the inn it showed up right away. Something to try.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just thought I'd ask, how exhaustive is the guide for this game?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just got a strange accolade.
    Happy-Go-Lucky: for being touched by the lucky stick

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I just got a strange accolade.
    Happy-Go-Lucky: for being touched by the lucky stick

In game event, or just lucky in some combat?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GameFAQs says it happens when you go into the battle records screen when your number of battles fought are all the same digit, i.e. 777, 333, 1111.

So try to get it before 1000 I guess. I'm at 934, glad I learned about it.

EDIT: Hey this is a pretty huge spoiler so don't click it, but here is a set of tiny pics of all/most of the cameo costumes you can get in DQ9, as well as some info on getting them:
    Double spoiled, just to make sure:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/zerox101/DQcoplayparty.png

Apparently some characters are unlocked via wi-fi (whenever they decide to deploy them) and show up at the Stornway inn, where you get pieces of their outfit from doing different things. One thing is talking to them on your birthday.

Other sets are just drops off of bosses, I assume the cameo bosses.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, that's really cool.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    harvest wrote: »
    Just thought I'd ask, how exhaustive is the guide for this game?

Almost 500 full color pages. It's no DoubleJump guide, but it's really good.

Maxxed out Paladin's skill on my, er, Paladin. And Ranger skill on my melee DPS character. Switching to Paladin as my MC (the passive to HP and Resiliance is nice), Gladiator on my DPS character (kinda a no brainer) and the like.

KiTA on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, I had 555 battles

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Ah, I had 555 battles

Get 10 accolades and you get:
    Name Dropper

Hahah!

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok so if you think you're near the end of the game and you kill a boss and then go into the door he was guarding and you see another boss, do not heal up to the max and then bravely take him on

Leave and save

Because that guy is two boss fights one after the other

Also do not listen to Mumblyfish, because I got destroyed with everyone at level 42

I have all the best equipment I can get and a team of minstrel/martial artist/priest/thief with a good bit of leveling done in other classes for extra abilities as well

Guy is tough, and he removes your buffs indiscriminately unlike most other bosses

So you're saying my low 30ish team needs to go exercise. I kind of thought so; those 100-point Kafizzles were just raping me.

(And I do have a paladin, but I'm clearly not abusing him correctly.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You know you play this stuff too much when your playing DQ 9, listening to EOIII soundtrack via youtube, while reading Final Fantasy fanfic. o_O

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fuck Disruptive Wave. That is all.

quaigy on
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright so fisticuffs is a 4 hit skill correct? is there any other multi hit skills in the 4 or more range? I just want to kill metal things really fast without the hit or miss crit skills.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yessss, you son of a bitch game I did it. I beat your two slimes with wizard ward. I did it even though you robbed me with your 4 HP metal slime on a round where I actually enthralled it to make it stay around longer after doing 2 damage.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Now, if only that were anywhere near the most unreasonable quest the game gives you.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alright so fisticuffs is a 4 hit skill correct? is there any other multi hit skills in the 4 or more range? I just want to kill metal things really fast without the hit or miss crit skills.

Propeller Blade, the claw attack you get with 3 points, is a two-hit attack. Neither hit is guaranteed against a metal slime, of course, but it's two hits instead of one per character.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Now, if only that were anywhere near the most unreasonable quest the game gives you.

I refuse to believe anything could be as unreasonable as beating the optional boss of DQ5 in 15 turns. Whatever they give me later may be crazy, but I doubt it will require 25 hours of grinding to even stand a chance.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think Fan Dango does 8 hits, but personally I prefer the consistency of Metal Slash. If you can have your whole party use it consecutively, with the combo bonus you can usually take down an LMS in one round.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Off the top of my head, Fisticuffs, Fans, Spears, Bows, and Claws all have (at least--Fan is more I think) 4-hit attacks. The Claw one is probably the worst in that each hit does 25% of normal attack damage so it evens out to just being one hit. Swords have a 4-hit ability if you have a Falcon Sword equipped and use the Falcon Blade ability.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This guide kinda sucks in that in the item section it doesn't tell you where to find stuff or how you would get them. It just kinda shows pictures and base stat. I haven't used a guide in a long time but I feel there have been better ways of doing this in RPG guides.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gilder wrote: »

I refuse to believe anything could be as unreasonable as beating the optional boss of DQ5 in 15 turns. Whatever they give me later may be crazy, but I doubt it will require 25 hours of grinding to even stand a chance.
    Honestly, if it was something like that it'd be fine because at least it's something you'd have some kind of control over.

"Use Whistle to enrage enemies and then finish them off with a Critical Hit" is pure and total randomness. And even that isn't the most ridiculous from what I've heard.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    This guide kinda sucks in that in the item section it doesn't tell you where to find stuff or how you would get them. It just kinda shows pictures and base stat. I haven't used a guide in a long time but I feel there have been better ways of doing this in RPG guides.

Maybe you have to go online to playonline.com and enter in the code ITMLST to see where to get everything. Oh wait, this isn't really a Square game this time around is it?

Gilder on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gilder wrote: »

Honestly, if it was something like that it'd be fine because at least it's something you'd have some kind of control over.

"Use Whistle to enrage enemies and then finish them off with a Critical Hit" is pure and total randomness. And even that isn't the most ridiculous from what I've heard.

Wait do you have to use Whistle before using Sooth Sayer for quest 113? Because the quest SAYS NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING OF THE SORT.

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.