Options

New [Chat] On the Block

• Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't think I'm going to be good at symbolic logic... Let me have my rhetoric dammit!

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the greatest reason I continuously come back to [chat] is that a lot of you folks have good, interesting music recommendations that you randomly post in the thread.

Daxon on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    the only people that really bother me are people who say "i don't do drugs" and then get schwiggity wasted at bars and look down on people who do other things (like pot)

just because something's legal doesn't mean it's not a drug, and a dangerous one at that

alcohol is way more dangerous and worse for you than pot so don't snub your nose at people who smoke when you go out and get trashed every saturday night you fucking hypocrites

i drink a fair amount and don't do pot

but i don't generally like being aroudn potheads for basically 3 reasons:

1) i have a security clearance for my job, and if something happened to associate me with a pot-related crime, it would be career over

2) the effects of pot tend to make people vague in a way that i find disagreeable. i mean, a lot of drunks are unpleasant as well, but stoned people have always unpleasant to be around for me. i guess while drunks tend to be kind of uninhibited and primal (which is like i said sometimes bad), marijuana gives people a mental state that i just find impossible to empathize with really.

3) pot culture & hippie culture are just loathsome

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Mori I think you might just want to get me a subscription from the get-go. I'm getting fairly excited myself.

I hope Turbine has some way to "gift" subscriptions.

Ooor I could just set up an account, give you the info, and let you fix it from there.

Okay, but we're both sticking to the 500 Turbine Points allowance and whatever we earn from the game.

That's fine. I have no idea what the points are even used for.

Sorry if I'm making you worry.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    so i maintain that the alleviation of pain is categorically different than recreational hallucination.

i guess i feel like if someone wants to make a case that recreational drugs are okay, then it should be done on its own merits rather than a comparison to meduical "drugs" as a broad category.

i mean, drawing a corellary to alcohol is probably the easiest approach. lots of people drink for fun, but few people take advil for fun.

What about, like, Oxycontin?

"if it's okay for someone in extreme pain then it's also okay for me to take for fun" is not a reasonable position.

generally speaking, acceptable drug use is seen as a physical pallative. i guess if you were to break it down further, people tend to regard it as a necessary evil, made necessary by extreme pain.

without the counterbalance of "curing a medical condition" or "alleviating pain", the drug use is seen as gratuitious and morally suspect. i don't see it as morally incoherent to be anti- recreational drug use.

Some of the religious proscriptions against drug use are based in the idea that impairing drug use makes it harder to follow the religious tenets or rituals. So if you're in extreme pain, and the extreme pain is so distracting that you can no longer pray, but taking a small amount of oxycontin would reduce the amount of distraction due to pain by a degree greater than the mental impairment it causes, then that may be acceptable per some of those religions.

That makes sense to me. You have a moral duty to uphold, and you are altering your body chemistry in such a way to better uphold your moral duty.

In this case, though, it comes down to the same cost/benefit analysis that any kind of drug use (or any medical procedure) is going to come down to (although perhaps with a different final goal in mind based on your religious motivation). Is it better for me to take this drug than to not take it?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I am interested in TOR. I'm thinking of picking it up next Summer.

I enjoyed the demo at PAX. I intend to play at launch.

Ditto. SpaceWoW here we come!

Man there devs were hella non plussed, especially compared to torchlight and Tera who were right next door, much more friendly and excited.

I meaning fucking firefall just had a live demo they ran every 15 or so minutes (next to the douchebags of dragon age 2, I seriously lost some respect for bioware based on the assholes they had at that booth) and their devs were chatting people up.

Bottomline Bioware needs to teach their people how to do some fucking PR if they are going to show up at fan shows.

I felt the same way at the Red Dead booth at East, when me and my friends went in to do their demo the guy was clearly sick of doing it. In the future I'll probably try to schedule my booth visits for the earliest times when there isn't an awesome panel occurring.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mori I think you might just want to get me a subscription from the get-go. I'm getting fairly excited myself.

Ooor I could just set up an account, give you the info, and let you fix it from there.

Okay, but we're both sticking to the 500 Turbine Points allowance and whatever we earn from the game.

It's not you specifically. I just have a tight ass when it comes to electronic payments.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    A standard beer in a bar is 0,4 litres

a beer bottle or a small beer can is the standard size, 0,33

large beer cans are 0,5 litres

ten large ones is a lot, ten small ones isn't, ten bar-sized ones is a lot if you bought them all in a bar because that would cost $texas

Oh good, just making sure that 10 0.5 litres beers was not "a little". I know you drink a lot, but that would be obscene.

Uh, .33 liters is roughly 12 ounces so I think? 10 would be 120 ounces of beer. Unless someone is drinking that over a period of 6-7 hours most people are going to be intoxicated.

0.5 is what I'd say is "one beer"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Don't you slight NKoTB Daxon. Don't you do it!

The song made me disgusted with myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA

Infinitely better, not a challenge, but still true.

Nice

I just stumbled across him and Formant records in general last month thanks to boomkat.com. I have been hugely on the cavernous dubsteppy tip lately. A lot of good stuff out there in the Burial/dubstep-goes-Basic-Channel vein. Curious to see where they will take the sound.

Are you into the more straight up garagey stuff? Kind of a taste I'm still acquiring, but I've been dipping my toe into the more flagrantly neo-garage chopped chipmunk vocals end of the pool these days.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNj5AIJrZm8&feature=related

desc on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Will hit the nail on the head with mmos. Even though they are buggy at release it is truly the only way you are going to run through the low level dungeons and get a sense of exploration and not, lets get this done quick I gotta farm it on my 100th alt for blah blah. Going to have a friend at max level help us rape the place.

There is that problem too, but honestly I'd rather let a game cook then jump in at launch deal with buggy broken laggy shit that you just have promises will work later.

Though I'm seriously thinking of trying Tera at launch because I haven't done that with a korean game and I heard koreans do a lot of interesting things, like eat my dog, wait shit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm interested to see how the MNC... release schedule, I guess, goes.

It's a $15 game with 3 planned DLCs, the first of which is free, and the second two will cost an undisclosed amount of money.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the greatest reason I continuously come back to [chat] is that a lot of you folks have good, interesting music recommendations that you randomly post in the thread.

Speaking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66yUYlOx5KM

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've gotten to the point where I drink O'Douls simply so that people don't feel guilty drinking around me.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I've gotten to the point where I drink O'Douls simply so that people don't feel guilty drinking around me.

if i don't have the money to drink (and usually i don't want to drink anyway) i usually get root beer

Organichu on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I don't think I could bring myself to drink non-alcoholic beer. Beer doesn't taste good enough to justify a lack of alcohol and it is empty calories like whoah.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'm interested to see how the MNC... release schedule, I guess, goes.

It's a $15 game with 3 planned DLCs, the first of which is free, and the second two will cost an undisclosed amount of money.

One million dollars

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    3.3 liters of beer still isn't 'a little'

I was joking

but it's not like, huge amounts of beer either

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Don't you slight NKoTB Daxon. Don't you do it!

The song made me disgusted with myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEkvbRmfrA

Infinitely better, not a challenge, but still true.

Nice

I just stumbled across him and Formant records in general last month thanks to boomkat.com. I have been hugely on the cavernous dubsteppy tip lately. A lot of good stuff out there in the Burial/dubstep-goes-Basic-Channel vein. Curious to see where they will take the sound.

Are you into the more straight up garagey stuff? Kind of a taste I'm still acquiring, but I've been dipping my toe into the more flagrantly neo-garage chopped chipmunk vocals end of the pool these days.

I.. I'm sorry, I didn't understand anything of that second part. I stumbled upon Burial completely by accident (as I've done with 90% of my music) and like their sound. Generally I like electronica stuff, wouldn't know about the difference between garagey or whatnot.

Read: I am fucking terrible at understanding genres and frequently invent my own which correspond with nobody else.

I'd love to hear anything else you've got to recommend though :P

Daxon on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It's not you specifically. I just have a tight ass when it comes to electronic payments.

I'm sorry, I don't know either of you personally, and this is absolutely none of my business so please ignore it, but since you're going to post your lives on the internet, that entire tree above just reeks of bad things happening to the casual observer.

Please continue having a nice day.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    so i maintain that the alleviation of pain is categorically different than recreational hallucination.

i guess i feel like if someone wants to make a case that recreational drugs are okay, then it should be done on its own merits rather than a comparison to meduical "drugs" as a broad category.

i mean, drawing a corellary to alcohol is probably the easiest approach. lots of people drink for fun, but few people take advil for fun.

Okay, that first statement is fair. I'll agree with that.

Your second statement implies that I'm making this argument in order to piggyback recreational drug use upon the legitimacy of medical drug use. I'm not. If anything, it's based on a more transhumanist notion that we currently have the medical technology to make ourselves "better than normal." You look at some of the things we treat with medical technology - say, acne through Accutane, or mild depression through SSRIs - and it calls into question why we consider a certain physical state "normal."

We talked a little bit about infections. Whether or not we tolerate an infection depends largely on how it makes us feel. Almost all of us have candida, staphylococcus, heliobacter, dust mite, and an uncountable number of other infections living on or inside our bodies at all times. This is why immune system impairments are so dangerous. Some of these infections are going to have minor, subclinical effects at any given time. Get an upside stomach when you're stressed out? Hi, heliobacter. Have an itchy, flaky scalp? Oh hey thar candida. Ever have an asthma attack? Might be (probably is) aggravated by dust mites.

Whether or not a physical condition is caused by infection is interesting etiologically but does not inherently define whether or not it is a medical condition.

Nobody lives up to their physical ideal. Not a single person. Some very healthy people come close. When people are below a certain baseline, they're considered to have a medical condition; when they're above that baseline we consider them particularly healthy. But that baseline itself is kind of a wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey thing defined by a negotiation between the individual and his culture.

i guess i am not really steeped in transhumanist thought here, but it does strike me that your position requires taking the whole morass of human motivations and the actual effect/ intended effect of drugs or medication as well as social standards and moral frameworks, and then standing back about ten miles and kind of squinting at the whole mess and drawing parallels/ forming theories.

it's the same sort of thing i sense from objectivists who want to reduce ethical frameworks to simple systems of excange and "voluntary/ involuntary altruism." this is to say that i think it's probably a philosophically consistent system, but requires overlooking a lot of important and socially useful distinctions.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Will hit the nail on the head with mmos. Even though they are buggy at release it is truly the only way you are going to run through the low level dungeons and get a sense of exploration and not, lets get this done quick I gotta farm it on my 100th alt for blah blah. Going to have a friend at max level help us rape the place.

There is that problem too, but honestly I'd rather let a game cook then jump in at launch deal with buggy broken laggy shit that you just have promises will work later.

Though I'm seriously thinking of trying Tera at launch because I haven't done that with a korean game and I heard koreans do a lot of interesting things, like eat my dog, wait shit.

Getting in early on any game has advantages and disadvantages. I find the "what the fuck"RANDOMBULLSHIT"what the fuck?!?!" scenarios you can get in the early release of any online game to be entertaining. But it can also be frustrating.

Sometimes the stupid, unfair, uneven, buggy bullshit is part of the charm, at least if the rest of the game is well designed and fun. Sometimes it isn't. Waiting for a more stable, balanced release of a game (usually an MMO but really any online-focused game) will let you avoid a big part of the early bullshit, but part of that early bullshit is the charm.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited September 2010

What about, like, Oxycontin?

"if it's okay for someone in extreme pain then it's also okay for me to take for fun" is not a reasonable position.

generally speaking, acceptable drug use is seen as a physical pallative. i guess if you were to break it down further, people tend to regard it as a necessary evil, made necessary by extreme pain.

without the counterbalance of "curing a medical condition" or "alleviating pain", the drug use is seen as gratuitious and morally suspect. i don't see it as morally incoherent to be anti- recreational drug use.

I didn't know what argument you were making. I just thought you were saying "no one takes painkillers for fun" and thought, I'm p sure that's how my cousin ruined his life and ended up in rehab.

oh no kind of the opposite

i was saying that pallative drug use is a different beast than recreational drug use

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fuck games with planned DLCs

Like Mafia 2.... that shit has been out a month and there's already new content up on Steam

why could that not of been included at launch? :\

Tav on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry, I don't know either of you personally, and this is absolutely none of my business so please ignore it, but since you're going to post your lives on the internet, that entire tree above just reeks of bad things happening to the casual observer.

Please continue having a nice day.

How so?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Speaking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66yUYlOx5KM

I've been listening to these dudes, the Yoshida Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ron17xFNBf0&feature=player_embedded

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I remember in WoW when the Paladin self buff that was supposed to make you attack faster but do less damage made you attack faster and do MORE damage.

I would just throw on a two-hander and tank instances via raw DPS.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14601-afro-beat-airways-west-african-shock-waves-ghana-togo-1972-1978/

This will probably be the first CD I purchase new in a long time.

And probably one of the few times this year Pitchfork has been fucking worth anything.

Sheep on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Getting in early on any game has advantages and disadvantages. I find the "what the fuck"RANDOMBULLSHIT"what the fuck?!?!" scenarios you can get in the early release of any online game to be entertaining. But it can also be frustrating.

Sometimes the stupid, unfair, uneven, buggy bullshit is part of the charm, at least if the rest of the game is well designed and fun. Sometimes it isn't. Waiting for a more stable, balanced release of a game (usually an MMO but really any online-focused game) will let you avoid a big part of the early bullshit, but part of that early bullshit is the charm.

Yeah I hear ya, and I've been there for launches and its a certain level of excitement about seeing new places before its catalogued for everyone else.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2010

o god korean games

hope you like grinding!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Like Mafia 2.... that shit has been out a month and there's already new content up on Steam

because then they almost might as well not have bothered

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    It's my birthday tomorrow!

What did you young whippersnappers get me to toast my thirty-fifth glorious year on this planet?

Bogart on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What bothers me more than games with planned dlc's is games that have updates on launch day, meaning they specifically shipped a broken game to stores just to make a release date so that they can have the extra time they need to make it work.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Certainly Preach, but it isn't just seeing new places, its experiencing stupid nonsense. Bugs that let you trick the AI into attacking a friendly player? Probably frustrating if you're being griefed with no way to respond, but if you're just discovering this while playing with a friend, its probably a very entertaining experience.

Finding new (often unintentional) strategies or combinations can be fun. You can't do that as much when the game has aged, which is good (many of those unintentional strategies are removed because they make the game less playable or fair) but also means players who get in first have a unique experience.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, Narcossist was rad. Urgh, wish I had more time to cultivate my taste in music.

Daxon on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    3.3 liters of beer still isn't 'a little'

I was joking

but it's not like, huge amounts of beer either

Well, right but it's certainly enough to put someone over the legal limit if you're talking about that much in 2-3 hours, at least in the states.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

because then they almost might as well not have bothered

Well, as I linked earlier, 2K Czech created the game and then Take Two basically had some guys come in, cut the game up into pieces, and those pieces are gonna cost you an extra 15$.

Sheep on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Someone just posted a link saying 2K games gutted the content of it in order to specifically sell the DLC, which was origionally in the full version of the game.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's so fucking awesome to understand another language, even if its just rudimentary at best

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    the only people that really bother me are people who say "i don't do drugs" and then get schwiggity wasted at bars and look down on people who do other things (like pot)

just because something's legal doesn't mean it's not a drug, and a dangerous one at that

alcohol is way more dangerous and worse for you than pot so don't snub your nose at people who smoke when you go out and get trashed every saturday night you fucking hypocrites

i drink a fair amount and don't do pot

but i don't generally like being aroudn potheads for basically 3 reasons:

1) i have a security clearance for my job, and if something happened to associate me with a pot-related crime, it would be career over

2) the effects of pot tend to make people vague in a way that i find disagreeable. i mean, a lot of drunks are unpleasant as well, but stoned people have always unpleasant to be around for me. i guess while drunks tend to be kind of uninhibited and primal (which is like i said sometimes bad), marijuana gives people a mental state that i just find impossible to empathize with really.

3) pot culture & hippie culture are just loathsome
    That's... nice I guess. It isn't really what I was talking about though.

MikeMan on
This discussion has been closed.