Options

MINECRAFT - Build to the sky, Dig to the depths. Join the masses.

• Options
    EnclaveEnclave Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Griefing doesn't worry me. You just go back and fix it.

That's why I'm trying to tell you to skip the water, it'll be easier to just fix a road or a train track than to fix a blown out canal.

If you really want to boat somewhere, there's water everywhere, you can jump in a boat right down the hill from spawn and float to any of the major areas.

Don't do canals, it's never good.

Honestly, with my current idea water is a side thought. Not even 100% necessary, but I would like it there just so everybody can travel how they want.

Enclave on
  • Options
    PaulTheAfraidPaulTheAfraid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The reason I don't want to do a water/railway hybrid is the fact that the waterway will be obsolete once we can use minecarts. Obviously a walking path below is easily doable, but what you're describing sounds enormous. Noisymunk and I built a pretty compact structure, but once it was multiplied by just a few sections, it didn't seem that way at all. Again, please build an example somewhere near the spawn and I'll try to look at it with an open mind tomorrow morning (I've already been convinced to change my mind twice so far).

I'm sorry if I sound so negative; it's just that I fully intend to throw myself into this, and I don't want to go crazy doing so :P. However, whatever we ultimately end up doing is really up to the server regulars, so if they want a railway/waterway hybrid, that's what it will be.

PaulTheAfraid on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I'm presuming we'll need people to basically stripmine and fill up the stocks with mats for the builders, yes?

I'm strangely comfortable with this thought.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I assure you, what I have in mind is not going to be huge, I've built something similar in single player that's 5 blocks wide in total (2 of said blocks are taken up by the walls, and this structure will have no walls)

Making a 5 block wide walking area, that really isn't going to be an issue I think.

Also, I know exactly how you feel. I've been thinking about this for 3 days straight now and just want to start working on it as well, feels like this will be my mark on Ein's server, my Columbia, my Rapture. I'm sure you feel exactly the same.

Enclave on
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Enclave wrote: »
    Griefing doesn't worry me. You just go back and fix it.

That's why I'm trying to tell you to skip the water, it'll be easier to just fix a road or a train track than to fix a blown out canal.

If you really want to boat somewhere, there's water everywhere, you can jump in a boat right down the hill from spawn and float to any of the major areas.

Don't do canals, it's never good.

Honestly, with my current idea water is a side thought. Not even 100% necessary, but I would like it there just so everybody can travel how they want.

You can travel by boat. You'll have to go down to the coast to do it.

In order for this thing to meander through the countryside in a pleasing manner, we can't do a canal.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    How is it possible to collect lava/water without it draining completely? This is in singleplayer.

If you don't pick up a 'source tile' for the flow then you're good. You can only bucket up tiles that aren't moving (so have a static surface texture image rather than a moving one). For water the flow rate is high enough that pulling a single static square from a pond will cause it to fill back in and 'settle' rapidly. This isn't the case with lava; the only lava you can ever bucket are source tiles, so taking a bucket of lava will permanently lower the level of lava available in that place.

For water you can make a permanent, infinite water source by digging out a 2x2 'well', bucketing water into two opposite corners, and then taking out one bucket at a time from anywhere in the 2x2 area. This won't work with lava as the only way to make a static pool of lava is to fill every square with a bucket.

Thank you sooooo much!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Truthfully, after the bathysphere ride in Rapture, I have to say that boat-transit canals are hilariously unreliable and a recipe for aggravation.

Notch is supposedly working on SMP for the next update. We'll see what happens. In the mean time, we should plan and get materials.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Truthfully, after the bathysphere ride in Rapture, I have to say that boat-transit canals are hilariously unreliable and a recipe for aggravation.

Notch is supposedly working on SMP for the next update. We'll see what happens. In the mean time, we should plan and get materials.

That's what I've been hearing. More and more I think the road with rail system above it is the way to go.

When I get home I'll build a quick mock up of my idea so people can check it out without me describing it.

I'll also leave out the water ways, at least for now.

Enclave on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It should be mine carts. Boats are terrible long term solutions. They are far too fragile to be relied upon to go across map in. Not to mention you have to constantly restock them.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't even want to make anything on Colrapture yet. I've just been strip mining various islands and putting the results into the warehouses. Since Ember's is easier to find for me, I've just been putting everything in there.

I made about 1k in glass, and so far I've found about 2 stacks of gold. I've been logging in during off hours so I don't mess with the lag.

For those of you advocating minecarts, I hope you understand that they're broken. So right now a travel system would be water or walking.

belligerent on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Belligerent: We're proposing this for the future, when minecarts work. I think the unspoken prayer is that Notch might be fixing them 'soon'.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    Belligerent: We're proposing this for the future, when minecarts work. I think the unspoken prayer is that Notch might be fixing them 'soon'.

Well, there's that. But also if we can make a system that incorporates mine tracks in the design, it'll at least be future proofed and we can start building now even if the carts continue to not work for months.

Enclave on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, I'm not sure about connecting it to Columbia. The /spawn location at the airship is so dramatic.

And, Tim's fields are kind of off-limits for shenanigans, so I don't know that he'd want a major transportation hub down there.

There's also a fucking huge ass lava river right under the farmlands that I found yesterday. Shit is awesome. That would probably screw up and underground plans.

As for above ground you could make the transit way go to the cliffs on the edge of the farm and I could have a dirt road meeting it at the bottom.

ffffffffffffuuuuuuu

We don't need to go that deep with this. Surely we could get away digging less than 10 blocks deep?

There's two blocks of dirt followed by maybe one block of stone before some MASSIVE natural caves start all with lava in them. I tried to map them, but when making steps I kept opening up more caves.

I also found a secret Communist lair hidden under my barn. I will eradicate this red filth apon my return.
    So underground is probably no go. Also the bedrock is right down there as well as the top soil was lowered to give Columbia more room.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, I'm not sure about connecting it to Columbia. The /spawn location at the airship is so dramatic.

And, Tim's fields are kind of off-limits for shenanigans, so I don't know that he'd want a major transportation hub down there.

There's also a fucking huge ass lava river right under the farmlands that I found yesterday. Shit is awesome. That would probably screw up and underground plans.

As for above ground you could make the transit way go to the cliffs on the edge of the farm and I could have a dirt road meeting it at the bottom.

ffffffffffffuuuuuuu

We don't need to go that deep with this. Surely we could get away digging less than 10 blocks deep?

There's two blocks of dirt followed by maybe one block of stone before some MASSIVE natural caves start all with lava in them. I tried to map them, but when making steps I kept opening up more caves.

So underground is probably no go. Also the bedrock is right down there as well as the top soil was lowered to give Columbia more room.

Tim, if we go with my idea for a road/rail system, would there be anywhere in your field you would like it to go through? Or would you like the road to end at the top of the mountain to overlook the wonders of Columbia and your field?

edit:

I ask because that may be a good starting point to begin building if it's what we go with, that way if you want it to go through the field then we can figure out where would be best so things can be built around it how you like.

Enclave on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

ffffffffffffuuuuuuu

Tim, if we go with my idea for a road/rail system, would there be anywhere in your field you would like it to go through? Or would you like the road to end at the top of the mountain to overlook the wonders of Columbia and your field?

edit:

I ask because that may be a good starting point to begin building if it's what we go with, that way if you want it to go through the field then we can figure out where would be best so things can be built around it how you like.

Well we could end it at the top of the cliff and then make an airport where the track then shoots off into the air and eventually meets up at the airship docking port.

Otherwise I could easily find you a path through the fields, but then the cart would just end at my farm house. And my farm is really just the backdrop to Columbia.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope Notch adds something for dying stone different colors. We need more color in this world.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it's not a game it's a toolset! games need obstacles and objectives, Minecraft is about making obstacles and objectives.

Man

Mannnnnnn

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ein, as an admin, are you able to spawn spawner blocks? Can we have a zoo?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ein, as an admin, are you able to spawn spawner blocks? Can we have a zoo?

Lol, I've been wanting to build a zoo in my single player world but can't due to spawners not being movable anymore. I'd love if somebody built a zoo. Just make sure you double up on the glass on the Creeper cage, don't want those little bastards getting free!

Enclave on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have a mission for someone.

I need a player to hunt down some cactus. As much as possible is ideal, but only a bit is also fine. I also need a shit ton of sand.

We need to get our cactus fields going for color variation.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can work on that later tonight, if nobody else does.

The desert has all the cacti and sand you'll ever need, right from the get-go.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I need a player to hunt down some cactus. As much as possible is ideal, but only a bit is also fine. I also need a shit ton of sand.

What happened to the old cactus field I made?

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lux782 wrote: »

I'm guessing it didn't survive the server modifications?

Enclave on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lux782 wrote: »

I'm guessing it didn't survive the server modifications?

yes indeed. Only one fallow field and the mushroom field survived.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I planted (or replanted) a ton of cactus in the Dunes when Ein first got the server going again. Should be plenty to harvest over there :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could someone PM me the address to Ein's server please? Or is there more I have to do?

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is there a warp point out to the dune? Or is it just /dune

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I can do that.

EDIT: It's /warp desert

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

I can do that.

EDIT: It's /warp desert

I can probably take care of it then. I should get out more anyway.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    KitanthoKitantho Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could I get an invite to the Steam group please?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/kitantho/

Kitantho on
  • Options
    TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Please add me to the Steam group whenever possible. Thanks a bunch!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ElectricBoots

Tremblay on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, so I gotta get a steam account.

Done and done.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SipexFelane

Some bot took my bloody name, they always do >.>

Sipex on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you're logged in and looking for mats, check ember 1st. I harvested a little bit (1/2 a stack) of cactus earlier today. there's some trees there,too.

belligerent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Damnit, Server is full. And when I did get it, the game froze. What's the max number of people on this server at any time?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Damnit, Server is full. And when I did get it, the game froze. What's the max number of people on this server at any time?

Server is capped at 24 people.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

Server is capped at 24 people.

Seems like a small number for such a big place.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hrm, if I'm unable to get on when I get home from work then I'll have to try to build the example of my road/rail system tomorrow, which will annoy my girlfriend as we're moving the last of her stuff to our apartment tomorrow.

Enclave on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The good thing is that I've heard that Iron is super plentiful on our new map. Hell I've found a ton just below the farmland in that massive cave system.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited September 2010
    That's good, we're going to need a metric asston of iron for the railway I'm sure.

Enclave on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I also found a secret Communist lair hidden under my barn. I will eradicate this red filth apon my return.

Don't tell me this server is going to play out redstone cultists like underdark. Let people build with the stuff without bitching and moaning.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
This discussion has been closed.