Options

KotOR: We Hate Taris More then Skywalkers Hate Sand!

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Speaking of stuff that was easy to miss. On my first play through I only trained Anton. I was surprised to learn how many of your party can be trained. I got everyone on my second play through, plus knowing what I would be doing, I didn't level any of them till after I had trained them, giving me super over powered party.

I screwed it up on my DS playthrough and ended up using KSE to "correct" my influence levels.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It would be pretty difficult to get through the game without reaching a prestige class. You'd have to be making a point of rushing it.

Don't you need to swing to Light/Darkside to get the prestige stuff as well? Maybe he was staying neutral.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    Staying neutral takes a conscious effort.

Tube on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

really?

In both KOTOR games i have to actively work to get to the extreme alignments and not be neutral.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I remember now why I hate Manaan so much. Whoever made those seabed walking around in super slow motion areas needs to have their nuts kicked.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I remember now why I hate Manaan so much. Whoever made those seabed walking around in super slow motion areas needs to have their nuts kicked.

luckily in KOTOR2 they speed up the spacesuit walking. Although you end up looking like you are in a Benny Hill sketch

GaryO on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The first time i did that I didn't realize you needed the sonic emmiter

It took a while to get back D:

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just received KOTOR as a gift! Do they make armor out of Cortosis? I think that would be a good idea.

SvK on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SvK wrote: »
    I just received KOTOR as a gift! Do they make armor out of Cortosis? I think that would be a good idea.

They make fucking wristwatches out of cortosis in KOTOR. Cortosis is the KOTOR equivalent of iPods. Everyone has cortosis.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Probably woven in some of the heavy armor. But no, obviously lightsaber proof armor is sort of defeating the point.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yavin station has some ridiculously overpowered items. It's my first playthrough with access to all that gear and it's just crazy. Disappointed that they didn't add any new superpowered pistols though.

Also why does the guy that runs that station/shop place buy everything at such a high price? It's basically allowing me to buy absolutely all the best gear in the game. Race bonds are worth 60 but he was giving me 156 for them!

I'm planning on going down the dark route, is it at all possible to do so
    without having to kill Mission? I've grown quite fond of her massive sneak attack bonus.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yavin station has some ridiculously overpowered items. It's my first playthrough with access to all that gear and it's just crazy. Disappointed that they didn't add any new superpowered pistols though.

Also why does the guy that runs that station/shop place buy everything at such a high price? It's basically allowing me to buy absolutely all the best gear in the game. Race bonds are worth 60 but he was giving me 156 for them!

without having to kill Mission? I've grown quite fond of her massive sneak attack bonus.

Yeah, YOU don't have to kill her...hehehehe...

But, no.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »

really?

In both KOTOR games i have to actively work to get to the extreme alignments and not be neutral.

Dang, that's...kinda weird. I had the exact opposite experience. I so much as sneezed at someone and it was all "+ Dark Side Points!" and then Kreia in all her old wrinkled glory was there shaking her goddamn finger at me making me feel like I fucked up Christmas again.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ah well that's a pity. It's probably the first playthrough where I've actually used her fully. Being able to do 60-80 damage per hit on stunned enemies was quite a revelation.

I'll have to get the walking carpet to do the deed though, I've never done that before :twisted:

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yeah, YOU don't have to kill her...hehehehe...

But, no.

There are much much worse things a dark sider could have done to her than have her killed.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not with a Teen rating there isn't.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SvK wrote: »

They make fucking wristwatches out of cortosis in KOTOR. Cortosis is the KOTOR equivalent of iPods. Everyone has cortosis.
    I have cortosis-coated cookware. It's non-stick and I can use it to defend against marauding sith!

Monger on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Havelock wrote: »

really?

Dang, that's...kinda weird. I had the exact opposite experience. I so much as sneezed at someone and it was all "+ Dark Side Points!" and then Kreia in all her old wrinkled glory was there shaking her goddamn finger at me making me feel like I fucked up Christmas again.

I think I had DS mastery before I finished Taris or very soon after.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

really?

Me tooooo.

Maybe we're just crazy people.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Basil wrote: »

really?

Me tooooo.

Maybe we're just crazy people.

We must be brothers

Only closer :winky:

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So what's with Malak missing half his face? Is this ever explained anywhere?

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Plot wound. It makes him eeeeeeevil.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I believe it was mentioned Revan wanted to make a point in a conversation once so blew off his jaw with a lightsaber or somesuch.

Those sith, amirite?

Astale on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well I just finished him off with some blasters to the face to match that fetching face hole he had. Fun times

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Astale wrote: »

I believe it was mentioned Revan wanted to make a point in a conversation once so blew off his jaw with a lightsaber or somesuch.

Those sith, amirite?

You would be correct good sir

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I managed to get the widescreen hack working with the standard exe file, so that's taken care of.

The only issue I have left is that none of the movies will play (like the one when you get on the escape pod, or the brief dream sequence right after). I'll get sound, but no video, usually just a frozen screenshot of the last sequence before the movie loads.

I've tried to look up a solution, but so far none have worked. Help please.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Those sith, amirite?

Sith Revan was such a dick. But mostly to Malak so it was cool.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Theres a theory that Revan wasnt, in fact, a dick.

and instead, willingly did what he had done to prepare the galaxy for far far worse threat that was looming on the horizon

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm not talking about that stuff. I'm talking about blowing off Malak's jaw and programming HK-47 to insult him because he thought it was funny.

I don't think those things are so much about preparing the galaxy as much as they are just for shits n' giggles.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm not talking about that stuff. I'm talking about blowing off Malak's jaw and programming HK-47 to insult him because he thought it was funny.

I don't think those things are so much about preparing the galaxy as much as they are just for shits n' giggles.

Honestly.

If you were making an assassination slash protocol droid, how could you NOT make HK-47

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i had a strong inclination to play this game a couple of days ago, not sure what brought it up.

KOTOR is such a great game, too bad KOTOR 2 is so unfinished and unpolished.

Obsidian has a way of taking a really awesome franchise and they just make it suck just so its not terrible, but its good anymore.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, the Revan-as-unwilling Sith is a retcon from what goes down in KOTOR2. On its own, the basic pre-game events for KOTOR are just typical things that would happen pre-game. Especially for a game story that generally adheres very closely with 'typical' Star Wars narratives.

The concept of Revan being more grey morality didn't happen until Obsidian diverted from the more usual Black vs White stuff.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't really put too much blame on Obsidian for the way KOTOR2 turned out, they didn't get enough time to complete it.

On an unrelated note, I managed to leave Taris after just 2h 36m. Should help motivate me when I decide to do another playthrough, knowing that first boring bit can be cut down to a reasonable time.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I don't really put too much blame on Obsidian for the way KOTOR2 turned out, they didn't get enough time to complete it.

On an unrelated note, I managed to leave Taris after just 2h 36m. Should help motivate me when I decide to do another playthrough, knowing that first boring bit can be cut down to a reasonable time.

there is a mod that lets you skip Taris, and gives you all the xp you should have gotten on it, plus the option to select weither you want the lightside taris path or darkside path.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    L.E.O. wrote: »
    i had a strong inclination to play this game a couple of days ago, not sure what brought it up.

Obsidian has a way of taking a really awesome franchise and they just make it suck just so its not terrible, but its good anymore.

granted Obsidian has a track record of releasing buggy games in this case its because Lucasarts was like "Christmas is coming out release the game so we can make monies" even though Obsidian was all like "erm we're not finished yet"

GaryO on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GaryO wrote: »

granted Obsidian has a track record of releasing buggy games in this case its because Lucasarts was like "Christmas is coming out release the game so we can make monies" even though Obsidian was all like "erm we're not finished yet"
    it was a game i was really excited about and was disappointed, i hold a grudge to obsidian. is alpha-protocol any good? eh, its ok.
    and obsidian bought the rights to the forgotten realms from bioware. damn you obsidian!

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Both KoTORS are excellent. The first runs strongly on the heroic epic motif that has been Bioware's thing for most of their games, while the second has much superior writing in terms of nuance and character motivation.

Obsidian's track record aside, you can't blame anyone but LucasArts for the sorry state at release. The sequel had between a third to a half the time KoTOR had in development.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

Those sith, amirite?

As I recall, Malak challenged Revan to a duel when he considered himself the stronger sith. So Revan cut off his jaw.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    GaryO wrote: »

Obsidian was also 'Hey, give us more time and money! We're overbudget and overschedule!' They aren't blameless. LA simply made the bigger, more visible, mistake of pushing the release date up three months.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

there is a mod that lets you skip Taris, and gives you all the xp you should have gotten on it, plus the option to select weither you want the lightside taris path or darkside path.

And here I am, playing the game like a sucker!

Joking aside though, that sounds great. Has there been a good mod list posted for KOTOR anywhere?

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png