Options

Board Games - Arcana has pretty cards and it's a fun game!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    Everyone preorder Alien Frontiers pronto. I played a game last night on Vassal and it thoroughly owns.

Gah, doesn't print until 3/31? I thought the reprint was supposed to hit in January! :?

yeah :(

to scrublords who havent preordered yet: it's a worker placement game where the dice are the workers. and it has a retro-50s sci-fi space exploration theme. do it, fuck

My copy should be arriving in a couple days. Hope it arrives TOMORROW so I can actually bring it to game night on Thursday.

I'm interested in why I would want that when I already own Kingsburg. Sell it to me!*

*probably still won't actually buy it. Unless you're really good at selling.

What I've heard from people who've played both is, your best choice isn't as obvious or something.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The mechanics are similar, but having played both AF doesn't simply usurp Kingsburg. Especially when Kingsburg has an awesome expansion, and AF could frankly use one in the near future.

I'd say that it's simply different. It's not like the step from To Court The King, which was OK, to Kingsburg which extremely similar but way more awesome.

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also preordered the new puzzle strike printing and yomi games.

Kinda sad I missed out on the wooden deluxe chip edition for puzzle strike though.

Dracil on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    dont be, a lot of them were fucked up beyond repair and he had to issue refunds. hopefully this round will be different though!!

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Dracil, how was your copy of Terra Prime? Mine's got the mold so it got tossed.

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the insights and links. It looks pretty fun, I'll keep it in mind if I need another game [strike]on[/strike] piled up near my overfull shelves.

antherem on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gaebril wrote: »
    Along that line, Wasabi is a really pretty tile-laying game about sushi preparation. It's a good GF game I think, although personally I find it a little simple.

Well, my gf doesn't need "gf games", her favorite so far is Puerto Rico (or maybe BSG?) because of the strategy involved. She doesn't like the luck and simplicity of the other board games we have (Carcassone, Ticket To Ride, Settlers).

So simpler would probably worse in this case.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    dont be, a lot of them were fucked up beyond repair and he had to issue refunds. hopefully this round will be different though!!

Correction: I want the deluxe set with the replacement/late printing chips.
    RoadBlock wrote: »
    Dracil, how was your copy of Terra Prime? Mine's got the mold so it got tossed.

Haven't opened it up actually.

I played Homesteaders like the next weekend after I got back, and I did wish I had gotten that one instead since it was more fun than I expected.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Having played both Terra Prime and Homesteaders, I agree. Homesteaders is bad ass, and I was totally against playing it originally because of the theme. I'm glad I got over it. :)

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like Alien Frontiers. I'm so bored of Kingsburg. AF rewards creativity in how you play your dice (and in what order) with what technology cards you have and the current setup of the board. For me, Kingsburg feels very same-y every game now and having too many low rolls seems to take you out of the game. In AF, if you roll low you can still do something on pairs/triples/straights and even if nothing else you just put them all in the colonist track which is just as worthwhile. It just feels much more engaging and fun to me. I would definitely give it a try.

PolarBear on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also preordered the new puzzle strike printing and yomi games.

Kinda sad I missed out on the wooden deluxe chip edition for puzzle strike though.

I've been playing PS online at http://www.fantasystrike.com/dev/#. The interface kinda sucks for now, but damn is that a fun game. I've played around 7 games, and won 4 or 5, so I'm feeling pretty confident. Of course, I just got hosed playing Midori against Argrag or whatever. Having a hand with 3 Wounds is not fun.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Welp bit the bullet and ordered civ boardgame for christmas. Of course I might havea couple of playthoughs before than :). Any tips to playing?

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Welp bit the bullet and ordered civ boardgame for christmas. Of course I might havea couple of playthoughs before than :). Any tips to playing?

bring a book

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For the New Civ boardgame? It looks decently fast-paced, to me. Is that from personal experience?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I've never played it actually, but from the pictures on the geek it seems like the ultimate in Fantasy Flight million-different-kinds-of-bits circlejerkery. which is fine! I am playing an android pbp on this very forum! but be prepared for slow going.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    antherem wrote: »
    Everyone preorder Alien Frontiers pronto. I played a game last night on Vassal and it thoroughly owns.

Gah, doesn't print until 3/31? I thought the reprint was supposed to hit in January! :?

yeah :(

to scrublords who havent preordered yet: it's a worker placement game where the dice are the workers. and it has a retro-50s sci-fi space exploration theme. do it, fuck

My copy should be arriving in a couple days. Hope it arrives TOMORROW so I can actually bring it to game night on Thursday.

I'm interested in why I would want that when I already own Kingsburg. Sell it to me!*

*probably still won't actually buy it. Unless you're really good at selling.

While its certainly like Kingsburg in some respects, it is not just a reskin of the game. I haven't played it though so I will just refer you to this review. Not highest production, but gives lots of shots of the board and a breakdown of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFTzD7iPzA

I think one of the biggest sells for me is the old school art. I just love the way the gameboard and cards look. I want a poster of the box cover art as well.

I saw that game for sale at one comic shop now I understand why he wants $100 for it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I figure at this point I'm almost certainly ordering Puzzle Strike for the gaming club I run. 20-30 minute games are perfect for the time we have available. The students love Cosmic Encounter, so they're used to asymmetric, fast-paced, random gameplay, and I think they'll dig the components.

I finally had a chance to play a 3-player game. My Jaina against Grave and DeGrey. I managed to take down DeGrey but had wounded myself too much to keep going. Jaina's rush attack doesn't work as well when there's another opponent.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I played dominion last night and had a really fun time. If I bought the main game, the 3 expansions, and the 3 promo cards, how many of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TPWZBM/ref=s9_simh_se_p21_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=1PCW6ZT3ZYGNN3JV8VRR&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1263465782&pf_rd_i=91mmx59mm would I have to purchase? Thanks for any help.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ultarune wrote: »
    I played dominion last night and had a really fun time. If I bought the main game, the 3 expansions, and the 3 promo cards, how many of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TPWZBM/ref=s9_simh_se_p21_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=1PCW6ZT3ZYGNN3JV8VRR&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1263465782&pf_rd_i=91mmx59mm would I have to purchase? Thanks for any help.

Based on the PDF at Mayday games, Dominion has the following numbers of cards:
    Dominion 470 59 92 Std Euro (Blue) 5
    Dominion Alchemy Expansion 130 59 92 Std Euro (Blue) 2
    Dominion Intrigue 470 59 92 Std Euro (Blue) 5
    Dominion Seaside Expansion 250 59 92 Std Euro (Blue) 3
    Dominion Prosperity Expansion 300 59 92 Std Euro (Blue) 3

That's a total of 1620 cards, so 17 packs of 100 sleeves each should cover it with some spares. Note that there are 4 expansions, and Prosperity is fantastic.

Darian on
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can probably even cut it to 15 packs, unless you want to sleeve all the randomizers and the duplicate Treasure cards in Intrigue.

(p.s. Darian puerto rico!)

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    PolarBearPolarBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    For the New Civ boardgame? It looks decently fast-paced, to me. Is that from personal experience?

I have played a 3 player all new players game in ~5 hours. Hoping to cut it down to 4 hours max for game night.

The game does have a lot of components, but it is well streamlined. There are like 5 phases each round, and most of these phases go fast. It is just the city management phase that suffers from AP. Even though there are only so many things you can do, there are ~15 rounds in the game and there is a very real tension where you want to be "in the race" for the different victory conditions. You don't want to screw it all up, so you try and consider all your options. Even still, it only felt like people were taking too long maybe 3-4 times the whole night.

The slowness came from not being familiar with the tech cards, wonders, and buildings. Once everyone is more familiar with the stuff I believe it will speed up a lot.

Tomorrow we are trying to get a 4 player game done in our 4 hour game night block of time.

PolarBear on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

bring a book

Ya don't know what you're talking about.

It takes less than half the time playing 4 people than the computer game against the AI.

4-player at bgg.con took 4-5 hours.

Dracil on
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ultarune wrote: »

That's a total of 1620 cards, so 17 packs of 100 sleeves each should cover it with some spares. Note that there are 4 expansions, and Prosperity is fantastic.

Thank you very much sir. It was quite expensive, but I purchased the game, 4 expansions, 3 promos, and enough sleeves for them, but its a fun game, and it will last. I had added all four expansions to my amazon cart, but forgot to add dominion itself, hence my game and 3 expansions comment. Corrected that however. Looking forward to breaking it out.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If you get bored waiting for the stuff to get here then just click this link ----> http://dominion.isotropic.org <---- and play online. I am idling on there most of the time, hit me up.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My friends and I have played the new Civ game a couple times now and even with some analysis paralysis, we can finish a 4 player game in under 3 hours easy.

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I caught the hype for Alien Frontier because it sounded fun and I preordered it.

But then I had to watch that tom vasel video and a few other reviews.

Now I think I'm more excited for the end of march than holiday season.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    New piece on BSG:Exodus up. The support characters, trauma mechanic (how cool is that!) and trial looks fantastic. I thought the Pegasus expansion was great but this looks incredible.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    take it to the BSG thread pal!!

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    right you are, just posted there :).

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Hm, pretty sure Mayday has that wrong somehow - Seaside has 26 kingdom piles, so that's 260 + 26 randomizers. Alchemy has 12 kingdom piles + 16 potions + 12 randomizers (for 150 in total), and so on.

Endaro wrote: »
    Well, my gf doesn't need "gf games", her favorite so far is Puerto Rico (or maybe BSG?) because of the strategy involved. She doesn't like the luck and simplicity of the other board games we have (Carcassone, Ticket To Ride, Settlers).

So simpler would probably worse in this case.

No offense to your gf, dude. :) My wife loves Le Havre and Ravenloft, but I know how it goes for most folks.

Gaebril on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Actually, that's also ignoring the fact that victory piles contain 12 cards, not 10. Still, I think 17 packs should be plenty. If running short on sleeves, you could leave out the extra set of base cards from Intrigue.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    you could also leave out familiar, because fuck familiar

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Three games of Resistance tonight as my FLGS was hosting the launch thing. Travis was there too. We had 3 tables going on at once. Spies actually won two of the games I was in, which is a nice change.

Impulse bought the Resident Evil game because it had the promos. So far, the best thing I like is the awesome container design. The cards came on the top plastic lid. After you unwrap them, you can put them under in their designated slots (and looks like it fits with sleeves). Manual even comes with a guide on where to put them for easy organizing. We'll see how the game itself is later on though.

My Alien Frontiers game actually arrived today, signed by the designer, and with the preorder Space Crane cards. They are now sleeved and I am happy and hope to play tomorrow.

Also hope to get people to play Jungle Speed and maybe bust some hands.

Dracil on
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Rank: Major Floating in my tin can.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am dying to get The Resistance in time for my Christmas family reunion but I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere. Has anyone seen it for a decent price? Funagain games has it but the cost to ship it to me is $10! Slightly on the same topic, I'm so proud of how my family reunions have been going. They were all board game haters a few years ago but I've converted 33* out of 38 of them and now I get a lecture from my 87 year old grandma if I don't bring a large enough bag of games.

*I'm sure I'll be able to convert the other three once they're old enough to talk!

Timmy on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    PR game 19 should now be running.

I didn't realize I have to re accept it sorry guys!

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Timmy wrote: »
    I am dying to get The Resistance in time for my Christmas family reunion but I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere. Has anyone seen it for a decent price? Funagain games has it but the cost to ship it to me is $10! Slightly on the same topic, I'm so proud of how my family reunions have been going. They were all board game haters a few years ago but I've converted 33* out of 38 of them and now I get a lecture from my 87 year old grandma if I don't bring a large enough bag of games.

*I'm sure I'll be able to convert the other three once they're old enough to talk!

There's like 20 copies at my FLGS. I could buy and send it to you if you want. I have a coupon for free shipping from the store.

It'll be like $20 + ~10% tax.

If you don't mind a used version, I also have like 3 copies of the game. Or you could take an unused one whose cards were cut off-center. Your choice. :P

Dracil on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    March 31 for Alien Frontiers? D:

So who's bringing a copy to PAX East?

antherem on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    7 Wonders just game out of Pre-Order on CoolStuff. Lets see how long I can resist spending money I shouldn't spend.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Woo, got BSG + Pegasus in the mail. Now to nag at friends for a game evening.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Woo, got BSG + Pegasus in the mail. Now to nag at friends for a game evening.

your first time out, either play the base game or play with the pegasus board and the objective card from the base game, except with 10 distance instead of 8. the new caprica board is super boring and anticlimactic, and bumping the distance to 10 keeps things balanced.

scrivenerjones on
This discussion has been closed.