As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is it just me or are pet classes a bit too strong?

Topped out pets seem to hit at like 50-70% of a player's strength, and it's not like the pet classes are gimped for their own damage. I think I'm swapping my shaman to druid since I am not that impressed with 51 point shaman dps.

My massive blow crits for over 1000, with another 400 point DOT on the end, but it's only about 20% of my rotation and the rest of my rotation feels weak. Shaman has crap for CC as well...

Constrictor on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Help the players of Rift end a terrible affliction that is seemingly plaguing tens of thousands of players.

WPS - or WoW PvP Syndrome - impacts the frontal lobe and turns gamers into selfish, one-on-one minded PvPers who neglect working as a team at all costs.

Those stricken with this disease are easy to point out. They complain about losing 1v1 fights while in battles with 28 other players around them. They believe they should be able to roll up to any target and destroy them - regardless of whether that person is working within a team or not.

And when they don't get what they want, they cry and complain instead of looking at themselves and trying to figure out what they're doing wrong.

Your donation of the WPS telethon will help ease those with the disease into a team setting. They'll be explained simple concepts like focus fire and crowd control, and how to properly apply those in warfronts. We will also try and match these players with guilds who queue in groups of 5 to help maximize their warfront pleasure.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?111953-Please-Join-Me-For-A-Telethon-to-End-WPS-(WoW-PvP-Syndrome)

Ugg, nothing personal, but this has nothing to do with WoW. Bad players are bad players, and trying to say "Oh, they are bad because they played WoW" is insulting and stupid, even if it's meant to be funny. Why not call this the EverQuest PvP Syndrome, or the Lego Universe PvP Syndrome, or High Fantasy MMO PvP Syndrome, Or The Stupid People Who Don't Understand PvP Syndrome?

I just don't understand the need to stigmatize one games players in a new game, in some vein attempt to make the new game seem better and more awesome.

Well, in his defense, WOW PVP taught people a lot of bad habits, like gearcheck PVP, team comp check PVP, the resilience rubber banding (rogues killing people in a single stun at 80 was hilarious, and by hilarious I mean the WOW dev team are idiots and should go work fast food).*

That said, I PVPed a bit in WOW, and I'm pretty decent in Rift thus far, and even play a healer! I'm like a nurturing mother bear to all my terrible little PUGers in war fronts. I'm pretty happy with how healing is working, though I am reserving judgment till I have more experience. It seems like it counters non-burst, slows burst, but cannot outheal dedicated burst even without CCing the healer, which seems good.

Edit: * The fact that they patched the Burning Down the Hill quest in this leaked patch notes pleases me. Because that quest was obviously terrible, and they quickly noticed and rectified it. I'm hoping that carries forward to all parts of the game in the future.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So far I haven't been able to run a dungeon as any spec other than Bard. My buddy tends to tank, and does a good job of it...but we keep getting healers that are just a bit shaky. I don't mind of course because bard is rad but still. I'd like to go ranger and see my blood raptor smash faces some time.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    aldo37aldo37 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What kind of platinum are people having when they hit 50, and did you buy the 40 mount? I'm 37 and nearing 70 plat between just normal questing and pricing crafting mats to move quickly (selling pretty low) and just wonder if I could get back up to the 50 mount plat reasonably quickly if I buy the 40 one when I get there.

Right now I have about 140 plat at level 47 and bought the 40 mount right at 40. I guess I am ahead of the server because the price that I can sell some crafting mats is absurd. Yesterday I put *four* sagebrush wood on the AH for 1p (which I thought was horrendously overpriced) and it sold literally in like an hour. It's been like this throughout with runebirch and mahogany as well. I also got lucky and saw some people post up spellspun silk stacks for like 1p last week, which I thought was crazy since silk bags alone (the previous bags) were selling for 1.5 and you can make nearly four bags with one stack. Bought up like 400 of it and had an outfitter make a crapton of bags and sold them for around 2p each. So you should have enough plat at 50 easily.

Also re the leveling curve and being behind: I learned this the hard way in beta when I got stuck on the quests near perspice (were high 30's/40ish when I was mid-30's). So I made sure to do as many rifts as possible and whenever was someone was looking for an extra member for a dungeon I joined them. I spent the weekend going back and forth between north moonshade/droughtlands/IPP. When the IPP quests got too high, I went back into droughtlands (which were previously too high). It's worked well and I went from 42? on friday to 47 yesterday and in every area I was about 1 level ahead or even with the quests I was doing.

I guess the crappy thing about having a good pace is that I have done maybe three or four rifts since 38 because no one is my level.

aldo37 on
  • Options
    Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Help the players of Rift end a terrible affliction that is seemingly plaguing tens of thousands of players.

WPS - or WoW PvP Syndrome - impacts the frontal lobe and turns gamers into selfish, one-on-one minded PvPers who neglect working as a team at all costs.

Those stricken with this disease are easy to point out. They complain about losing 1v1 fights while in battles with 28 other players around them. They believe they should be able to roll up to any target and destroy them - regardless of whether that person is working within a team or not.

And when they don't get what they want, they cry and complain instead of looking at themselves and trying to figure out what they're doing wrong.

Your donation of the WPS telethon will help ease those with the disease into a team setting. They'll be explained simple concepts like focus fire and crowd control, and how to properly apply those in warfronts. We will also try and match these players with guilds who queue in groups of 5 to help maximize their warfront pleasure.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?111953-Please-Join-Me-For-A-Telethon-to-End-WPS-(WoW-PvP-Syndrome)

Ugg, nothing personal, but this has nothing to do with WoW. Bad players are bad players, and trying to say "Oh, they are bad because they played WoW" is insulting and stupid, even if it's meant to be funny. Why not call this the EverQuest PvP Syndrome, or the Lego Universe PvP Syndrome, or High Fantasy MMO PvP Syndrome, Or The Stupid People Who Don't Understand PvP Syndrome?

I just don't understand the need to stigmatize one games players in a new game, in some vein attempt to make the new game seem better and more awesome.

See I dont' think people can play both ends against the middle when it comes to WoW. Folks can't on one hand talk about the games impact on MMO markets, but then say you can't make assumptions about its players or player base as a result.

Fact is when it comes to PvP, WoW reinforced and even encouraged a lot of bad habits. Everybody pulling in their own direction is one such habit. treating pvp like just another gear grind is another. not working with your teammates is a third. and the belief you should be able to kill any other player if you're looking at them with tunnel vision is another.

And I think not acknowledging that, or citing it when people QQ about pvp game play mechanics, is a mistake.

(I probably shouldn't have called out specific people in that thread. thought better of it but couldn't edit the post on the official forums. so I pulled an epic forum poster move ... reported my own thread.)

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Well, in his defense, WOW PVP taught people a lot of bad habits, like gearcheck PVP, team comp check PVP, the resilience rubber banding (rogues killing people in a single stun at 80 was hilarious, and by hilarious I mean the WOW dev team are idiots and should go work fast food).*

This.

I mean go check the QQ threads in Rift's pvp forum. The vast majority of them boil down to "I solo queue. but i'm coming up against groups of players who work as a team and working by myself I can't defeat them. But I'm not smart enough to recognize that, so you need to nerf X."

One of the guys I cited was complaining that he was attacking Player A, but couldn't kill him unless Player B was out of mana, and that this isn't balance. So basically a a roguey stealthy guy he full expected to be able to roll up to another player and kill him through his friend healing him. Sound like pvp in a certain game?

I also don't think you can underestimate the number of WoW pvpers who relied heavily on just being better geared than their opponents.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    (I probably shouldn't have called out specific people in that thread. thought better of it but couldn't edit the post on the official forums. so I pulled an epic forum poster move ... reported my own thread.)

You really should. If someone is such a tool that you remember them by name in the writhing sea of cacophonous voices that is a MMO official forum, you might as well do so.
    This.

I mean go check the QQ threads in Rift's pvp forum. The vast majority of them boil down to "I solo queue. but i'm coming up against groups of players who work as a team and working by myself I can't defeat them. But I'm not smart enough to recognize that, so you need to nerf X."

One of the guys I cited was complaining that he was attacking Player A, but couldn't kill him unless Player B was out of mana, and that this isn't balance. So basically a a roguey stealthy guy he full expected to be able to roll up to another player and kill him through his friend healing him. Sound like pvp in a certain game?

Yeah. You should be able to win a 1v2 if you are vastly better skilled, in much the same way that my world PVP guild won 3v10s and the like at equal level / gear, but you're absolutely right in that bad players want to no skill burst their way through healing and that is something that shouldn't be possible.

Heck, when I main heal in Black Gardens, I keep a look out for enemy healers to stick my 5 second silence on, while DOTing the flag carrier. I'm not going to solo anyone as 23 Sent, but that sort of teamwork helps the DPS do their job.
    I also don't think you can underestimate the number of WoW pvpers who relied heavily on just being better geared than their opponents.

I realize it was an extreme example, but at the end of BC, my friend and I rerolled on a new server. We wanted to PVP as mage / lock in 2v2 arenas with full blue PVP gear (the best we could get w/o a sugar daddy or lots of grind) and some PVE epics. We weren't expecting to do well at all, but what happened surprised us. Our opponents could AFK till we were OOM and then beat us. And as bad as some of the people were, that was almost an accurate example of their strategy. And the worst part about this was that while I'm probably in the top quartile of PVPers, good but by no means awesome, my friend is probably one of the best PVP Mages in the entire world. And yet, regardless of that, he could be beat by AFKing.

I'm hoping I'm not wrong, but I'm tentatively optimistic about gear issues in PVP looking at the difference between level 20 blues and level 50 blues.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Yesterday I found out that you can drop a lesser shard into a greater shard slot. Cool if you want to do that I guess, but don't be like me and do it by accident.

Or be like me and drop an epic one there by accident.

Echo on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that whole post is nonsense program.

you did not get beat by players who didn't try to beat you. they didn't go get some lunch, come back and go oh, this guy has finally ran out of mana casting against me time to kill him.

you used a terrible comp in a terrible bracket and got beat. there's a reason there's no titles from 2v2 anymore.

Angry on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Selecta wrote: »
    So far I haven't been able to run a dungeon as any spec other than Bard. My buddy tends to tank, and does a good job of it...but we keep getting healers that are just a bit shaky. I don't mind of course because bard is rad but still. I'd like to go ranger and see my blood raptor smash faces some time.

I have the same thing happen to me. But I did get to run my sabo through DSM when we got another bard who really really wanted to bard it up. Fine by me. Incriminate meant my tank never even thought of losing agro and I really enjoyed blowing things up.

On the sabo. I get such mixed signals about it. When soloing my Sabo\Ranger is so much better than the bard. I get two misdirects that I can use on the pet and most of the time I two shot equal enemy mobs. Yet I hear its horrible for PvE.

Then I hear people going nuts about PvP Sabo. It takes 5 (or more?) seconds to get someone fully stacked. During that time, you get nothing.. nada.. no damage. And if your dead before you can detonate.. you get nothing. I mean, in PvE thats fine cause the first 5 stacks are agro free with talents. Is it the nothing that gives people trouble? IE: They don't pay attention to anything if it doesn't do damage right away? Is that why people are so much more up in arms than say getting hit by 5 ranger builders then headshot?

cptrugged on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Selecta wrote: »

I have the same thing happen to me. But I did get to run my sabo through DSM when we got another bard who really really wanted to bard it up. Fine by me. Incriminate meant my tank never even thought of losing agro and I really enjoyed blowing things up.

On the sabo. I get such mixed signals about it. When soloing my Sabo\Ranger is so much better than the bard. I get two misdirects that I can use on the pet and most of the time I two shot equal enemy mobs. Yet I hear its horrible for PvE.

Then I hear people going nuts about PvP Sabo. It takes 5 (or more?) seconds to get someone fully stacked. During that time, you get nothing.. nada.. no damage. And if your dead before you can detonate.. you get nothing. I mean, in PvE thats fine cause the first 5 stacks are agro free with talents. Is it the nothing that gives people trouble? IE: They don't pay attention to anything if it doesn't do damage right away? Is that why people are so much more up in arms than say getting hit by 5 ranger builders then headshot?

It's easy to miss a Sab building charges on you while you're fighting other people, and suddenly have 75% of your health vanish at an inopportune time.

That said, a Sab can't do dick if you know he's there because in the time he's building charges up there's an excellent chance you can just murder him.

Sabs really don't do more damage over time than anyone else, they just take 7.5 seconds worth of DPS and pile it onto one second. But barring their 51 point root ability they still need to actually take that 7.5 seconds to set it up. But PvP, especially PvP where healers are so potent, is all about spike damage and Sab does that better than anyone else, so welp.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Wow. The market for some crafting materials is just dirt cheap on my server.

Heavy leather, 1.5g each.
    Linen cloth, 80s each.
    Silk cloth, 4g each.

Now if only ore followed those patterns too. Titanium ore/bars is still 10g each.

Echo on
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I think it's because people get shocked by the huge burst. A 5 point headshot isn't the same as a 5 point detonate with that one single target charge. Any pvp sabo that's tried to go up against a full out healer knows that it's a pretty futile effort, and if the other team knows what you are it's really easy to take you out of the fight.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Wow. The market for some crafting materials is just dirt cheap on my server.

Heavy leather, 1.5g each.
    Linen cloth, 80s each.
    Silk cloth, 4g each.

Now if only ore followed those patterns too. Titanium ore/bars is still 10g each.

I'm seeing something similar. It feels like the market is trying to stabilize itself.

I actually went looking for cloth, and found stacks for under 10p!

Maddoc on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's that the only defense against sabs is either:

A) Have tank level HP
    B) Have shielding spells
    C) Kill Sab before 5 seconds have elapsed.

And C is the answer to anything in the game: "well OBVIOUSLY just kill them before you die"

The main issue with Sabs though is multiple sabs being able to use each other's charges. Two sabs turns the "sit and do nothing for 6 seconds" into "blow someone up every 3 seconds" due to how charge stacking works (it's not a personally owned debuff that you use for your own spells)

Personally, I don't mind sabs, I just think they make low level PVP absolutely silly. But Black Garden is by default silly because everyone sits in a big clump by game design, and you either have bards trivializing the encounter due to limitless healing resources and nullifying AE damage, or sabs and marksmen immediately murdering anything within 30ish yards.

The balance issues with some of the classes get better in the later BGs where you aren't all forced to be clumped up in the same small area. But my personal sab suggestion would be to increase their damage per charge and thus DPS, but lower the max charges to 3 to reduce the single hit burst. Because the issue is they can't hurt tanks, but can at lower levels oneshot clothies (and at higher levels get about 50-70% damage on them, which makes for trivial deadeye shot=>detonate combos since detonate doesn't care about combo points, and you built up 5 of them stacking charges)

kildy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Angry wrote: »
    that whole post is nonsense program.

you did not get beat by players who didn't try to beat you. they didn't go get some lunch, come back and go oh, this guy has finally ran out of mana casting against me time to kill him.

you used a terrible comp in a terrible bracket and got beat. there's a reason there's no titles from 2v2 anymore.

Well, it was a terrible comp, see previous posts about arena specifically being a team comp check, but the gear difference really was that bad. You're simply being a silly goose if you say it wasn't.

I got my terrible Frost DK / Frost Mage comp (they totally count as frozen for Ice Lance! Synergy) up to 1800 or so back when we had actual gear however.

Though that is part of the problem with WOW's PVP. Arenas for the longest time were the only real source of good PVP gear, and god forbid you try to play with RL friends because they are RL friends, rather than a hand picked specific team comp of people who not only PVP but also raid to supplement gear gaps.

Edit: And that goes along with the rotten foundation of WOW PVP. Guild Wars gives you max stats weapons / armors for having a pulse, but in WOW they intentionally create a tiered Raid-like progression which saps all legitimate competition out of it. "After you pass 1400 Elo in Chess, you get an extra pawn," is on its face retarded, and that goes the same for MMOs. I don't mind some small numbers progression, because if someone wins by 1 HP due to having a bit more gear, that's all the more incentive to own them after, but it shouldn't be an important part of the experience. It was too tainted by poorly thought out PVE mechanics and raid mentality to ever be good.

Hopefully Rift will learn from the mistakes of other MMOs.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lol I read the current conversation and it's like 80% nonsense buzzwords and shorthand that only makes sense if you speak the MMO dialect. . .

TLDR: my brain hurts trying to figure out what the hell you even mean.

pretty much all I got from it was -> making gear matter more in PVP than player skill is pants-on-head.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is Warlock/Necro/x any good? I want to try something opposite of my rogue ( Ass/Rift)

Also, Void Knight? Are fun they in PvP against the mana people? I like to kill blue mana people :)

I would do Necro/Warlock/x myself, but yes, it's an amazing combo.

When I tried Void Knight in beta, I was not impressed, but you should give it a whirl. Can't hurt.

I'm currently using a Necro/Warlock/Dominator build. Only level fifteen at the moment, with 3 points in warlock, 0 points in dominator and the rest in Necro. Basically using dominator for Neural Prod as an instant cast damage source, while the necro DoTs tick away. Warlock gives another nice DoT in Leech Life or whatever it's called, and the three points are used to boost its stats.

Pull some enemies with your pet, then stack up four dots on it, spam neural prod. The only thing that's putting me off is thinking 'why didn't I just roll warrior for this much dps' but it's still good times. I might switch out dominator for chloromancer for shits and giggles.

zen- on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like Necro in this game because it plays like Necro from EQ.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    lol I read the current conversation and it's like 80% nonsense buzzwords and shorthand that only makes sense if you speak the MMO dialect. . .

pretty much all I got from it was -> making gear matter more in PVP than player skill is pants-on-head.

Short summary: In some MMOs with bad PVP mechanics, there were a very large number of things that prevented it from being fun and skill-based. I'm hoping Rift avoids those same pitfalls, and have thus far been satisfied, but I'm still level 24, so I am reserving judgment.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I seem to recall a stat on your character sheet called Valor, that reduces the amount of damage players deal to you.

So, if you're wondering "will gear matter in pvp" in rift, signs point to "resilience is already implemented"

kildy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

the TLDR version is WoW fostered bad pvp habits with players, basically because it was focused on the individual and not the team, and as a result there are some pretty funny QQs in the Rift forums from people who don't understand that PvP is a team sport.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    kildy wrote: »
    I seem to recall a stat on your character sheet called Valor, that reduces the amount of damage players deal to you.

So, if you're wondering "will gear matter in pvp" in rift, signs point to "resilience is already implemented"

plus there's the whole pvp ranking system which we don't know much about.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OK in any PvP game the answer to winning is right here:
    Seriously, kill the support first or you'll get nowhere.
    217534009_hZ5oD-L-2.jpg

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm wondering if I'd have a little more fun questing with a flashier, primary dps rogue spec. I really <3 the bard, but cadence/chord/coda with optional motifs can get hella boring out in the field. The trade off is the sheer survivability and utility, but sometimes I just want to gut the mob NOW rather than aggressively pursuing death by tinitus.

Is downtime low with most dps specs? It seemed like, though they had drink, it's not really meant to be a regular part of the questin/killin rotation while leveling up.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did my time in PvP.

I don't want to go into it again as I did before.

Also, today is a sad day cause I won't be able to play Rift after tomorrow morning for a whole 5 days. :( Must get to lv 44 by then.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm wondering if I'd have a little more fun questing with a flashier, primary dps rogue spec. I really <3 the bard, but cadence/chord/coda with optional motifs can get hella boring out in the field. The trade off is the sheer survivability and utility, but sometimes I just want to gut the mob NOW rather than aggressively pursuing death by tinitus.

Is downtime low with most dps specs? It seemed like, though they had drink, it's not really meant to be a regular part of the questin/killin rotation while leveling up.

Once you're 22 pick up this Assassin spec. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVM_.V0b.GhRbhodoz Open with Paralyzing Strike, puncture, then whatever attack for 5 points and use your finisher. Mob will be just about dead, you'll have taken 1-2 hits, move to the next mob. If you pull 3 mobs, use Side step and spam twin strike for damage against 2 mobs at once. Win.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CorriganX wrote: »

Once you're 22 pick up this Assassin spec. http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVM_.V0b.GhRbhodoz Open with Paralyzing Strike, puncture, then whatever attack for 5 points and use your finisher. Mob will be just about dead, you'll have taken 1-2 hits, move to the next mob. If you pull 3 mobs, use Side step and spam twin strike for damage against 2 mobs at once. Win.

Thanks, I'll check it out! I'm also going to try some ranged just because it seems this game handles that pretty well so far.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Roll a ranger spec, or an assassin with Rift Scavenger or the increased incoming healing (it blends well with that strange hp potion in assassin)

I run an assassin/riftstalker for burning things in pve, a bard build for "this may suck", and a nightblade/riftstalker build for group dps/non bard pvp.

kildy on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is really no downtime in this game. Drinking fills your health back up from empty in about 3-5 seconds. From half health, it take about 1.5 seconds. Don't worry about downtime. In the end, Assassin is much faster than bard. Sure, after I kill 10 mobs, maybe I have to drink for a few seconds, but you're still working on mob number 6. Also, unless you have backstab, there's no reason at all to open with a stun on a single mob. Assassinate drops their health about as much as you'd get it down while they're stunned. And It's quite a bit faster.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You get PS at 14, Backstab at 16. Once you get Subterfuge you can PS, Puncture, finisher, all before they get out of stun and even hit you once. Use the stun and you can kill targets before they hit you once. It might not be as fast as using Assassinate, but you can chain much faster not having to drink at all.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    is rift still holdin' strong?

queues and whatnot didn't butcher the population?

i'm primarily a pvper, don't really plan to do any particular pve specifically endgame, so i was hoping this would survive, and the pvp would be decently complex.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    OK in any PvP game the answer to winning is right here:
    Seriously, kill the support first or you'll get nowhere.
    217534009_hZ5oD-L-2.jpg

Also you need to focus targets

It's much more important than say, wow, because of the amount of aoe healing in Rift

override367 on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll put it this way.

The 31 servers they added this past week are all at medium, high or full population. And there are still some mild queues on the busier servers (but nothing as horribad as pre-launch).

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, Mercy, here's my reaver build that got me from 35-50 very easily. The basis of this build is to do average damage while healing like crazy with Soul Feast, Grisly Works (which procs off even gray mobs), and if needed, Master of the Abyss.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cAkL.Vuqx0ukzbk.x0c.EGc0zcMMz

Single mobs, pull with Infestation, Soul Sickness, Necrotic Strike, Blood Fever, and drop attack points with Fiery Burst. Spam Searing Strike until it's time to reapply DoTs. When pulling multiple mobs, which is better than one-on-one with this build, queue Plague Bringer, then toss out Soul Sickness, Necrotic Strike, and Blood Fever. You have two elemental AoE finishers, Storm Burst and Earth Burst, and they both have a cooldown. If you pull more than 3 mobs, just use Storm Burst and Cyclone Strike, because the lost damage on the other mobs from Earth Strike isn't worth it. Use Thunder Strike until DoTs fall off. The only reason I took points in Champion was for the finisher boost and extra power, because the power crits on even the smallest DoT tick, and you will be power starved in AoE.

There are some good OHSHIT buttons here. Master of the Abyss is a MASSIVE heal that only gets bigger the more mobs you're fighting, and it seems to crit a lot. It's usually a 75% heal when fighting 5 mobs. Creeping Death is useful for escaping, as it snares every enemy around you for 10 seconds while giving them a DoT. If you have to run, Weakening Essence keeps them away from you. Finally, Tempered Will is a CC breaker.

Since Mercy doesn't believe there's any synergy between reaver and riftblade, here's what I've found.

1. Planar Attunement: Increase DoT damage by 10%. Fiery Burst is a DoT, and even it's base damage is high. Storm Blade is also a DoT.
    2. Rift Fury: Increases non-physical damage by 1.7% for each riftblade point. 27 points = 45.9%. Everything in the reaver tree is non-physical, and if you increase Soul Sickness damage, you increase health gained through Soul Feast!
    3. Power from the Masses: 20% chance per point to reduce damage by 1% for each mob around you, up to 10%. If you have more than 1 mob, everything you do is AoE, including Storm Burst and Thunder Strike.

With 6 mobs around you, you're going to heal for over 700 every 3 seconds, and with the defensive skills taken in this build, most won't do more than 100-150 per attack. The only trouble comes from casters, because they're cocks. At least you'll have Riftwalk for them, but don't try to pull 6 casters, because even a void knight isn't that stupid.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

IMO the great thing about this game? Buy the other spec and play around with something completely different and see how you like it.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I enjoy bard, too but get bored. Try Bard+Nightblade. Power Chord and Dusk Strike make super fast 4pt combos, and nearly everything is magic - wrath/fury are great finishers. Open with Dark Malady and kill mobs before the 20% bonus wears off. Stealth + ranged sap...super fun combo.

sim on
  • Options
    BenebBeneb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    With leveling...I'm at 35 on my assassin I still find it better to open with jagged strike on mobs and just blow them up. Paralyzing strike is only used in pvp for me or if I try and get those last few mobs before I force myself to drink :)

Beneb on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mine and Adda's ISP is having trouble so we can't log on..... not happy.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Ok, Mercy, here's my reaver build that got me from 35-50 very easily. The basis of this build is to do average damage while healing like crazy with Soul Feast, Grisly Works (which procs off even gray mobs), and if needed, Master of the Abyss.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cAkL.Vuqx0ukzbk.x0c.EGc0zcMMz

Single mobs, pull with Infestation, Soul Sickness, Necrotic Strike, Blood Fever, and drop attack points with Fiery Burst. Spam Searing Strike until it's time to reapply DoTs. When pulling multiple mobs, which is better than one-on-one with this build, queue Plague Bringer, then toss out Soul Sickness, Necrotic Strike, and Blood Fever. You have two elemental AoE finishers, Storm Burst and Earth Burst, and they both have a cooldown. If you pull more than 3 mobs, just use Storm Burst and Cyclone Strike, because the lost damage on the other mobs from Earth Strike isn't worth it. Use Thunder Strike until DoTs fall off. The only reason I took points in Champion was for the finisher boost and extra power, because the power crits on even the smallest DoT tick, and you will be power starved in AoE.

There are some good OHSHIT buttons here. Master of the Abyss is a MASSIVE heal that only gets bigger the more mobs you're fighting, and it seems to crit a lot. It's usually a 75% heal when fighting 5 mobs. Creeping Death is useful for escaping, as it snares every enemy around you for 10 seconds while giving them a DoT. If you have to run, Weakening Essence keeps them away from you. Finally, Tempered Will is a CC breaker.

Since Mercy doesn't believe there's any synergy between reaver and riftblade, here's what I've found.

1. Planar Attunement: Increase DoT damage by 10%. Fiery Burst is a DoT, and even it's base damage is high. Storm Blade is also a DoT.
    2. Rift Fury: Increases non-physical damage by 1.7% for each riftblade point. 27 points = 45.9%. Everything in the reaver tree is non-physical, and if you increase Soul Sickness damage, you increase health gained through Soul Feast!
    3. Power from the Masses: 20% chance per point to reduce damage by 1% for each mob around you, up to 10%. If you have more than 1 mob, everything you do is AoE, including Storm Burst and Thunder Strike.

With 6 mobs around you, you're going to heal for over 700 every 3 seconds, and with the defensive skills taken in this build, most won't do more than 100-150 per attack. The only trouble comes from casters, because they're cocks. At least you'll have Riftwalk for them, but don't try to pull 6 casters, because even a void knight isn't that stupid.

This sounds pretty fun. I will have to try this, but after I hit 40 on my Rogue. GOTTA GET MY GRIND ON. I'm supposed to use a 2h for this AoE-Grind madness, right?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
This discussion has been closed.