Options

SC2: Dreamhack and NASL tomorrow! You will never get any work done!

• Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    it's as though dhal has such hampered mental capacity that he can't contribute to an argument in any meaningful way.

or recognize jest

iowa on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    There are plenty of free resources to improve chess play, and learn how to play piano, and learn some tips for how to train better in a gym scenario. But that doesn't invalidate having a teacher who can tailor their influx of information to better suit your learning style and rate of improvement.

People learn differently. Some work better learning alone, some work better learning as part of a group, and some benefit far more from having someone to give instant feedback when they improve (a teacher) than trying to recognise that feedback for themselves.

and like I said it's not something I understand.

i have lived a life where money is so tight for me that I can't grasp why you would pay someone to teach you how to play a game rather than just learn yourself. That has literally never been an option for me.

iowa on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    iowa wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    and i will be honest I think paying money for that is kind of ridiculous.
    What do you think about people who pay for personal trainers? Or martial arts lessons? Or piano lessons? Or chess lessons?

You're paying for the time of someone with more experience and/or a stronger grasp of fundamentals and execution in a field you want to improve or excel in.

dude relax iowa isnt a nerd he doesnt play videogames he just complains about balance in one on a videogaming forum.
    There are plenty of free resources you can utilize to become better at this game. I guess it's just funny to me that someone is willing to pay money to train rather than just recognize the flaws in their play themselves. Thats part of the fun of this game for me.

itp dhal reveals that he cannot grasp the concept of irony

You can also learn how to play chess, be fit, learn martial arts, and learn piano without a one-on-one trainer.

It's just way, way, way, way, way better with one.

Khavall on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would also appreciate it, Iowa, if you would just go away or stop trolling.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "This applies both to high templars and collosi." nowhere does it say that its only a problem if both high templar and collosi are being used at the same time, you dolt. The statement is saying that A) high templar splash is too strong and B) collosi splash is to strong. it is not saying that 'Collosi splash combined with high templar splash is too strong' even though that is true.

please take a course in basic reasoning

the quote from Blizzard says neither of these things. It does not specifically mention either of the two options being individually overpowered, nor does it mention the combination of the two being overpowered.

You cannot draw a conclusion 100% either way from that statement, but given that they said Protoss splash damage is too strong, that does lean you, logically, towards assuming that it is both units together, as well as the fact that they only nerfed the templar to start with. You are once again taking quotes and attempting to pull meaning from them to suit what you want, whereas I am simply pointing out to you your fallacies in such.

For example trying to claim that warpgates + chronoboost are overpowered because of a claim that Blizzard said, MONTHS AND MONTHS AGO, "protoss can dump MINERALS too easily with warpgate and chronoboost lategame". Which they fixed with a zealot build time change. And as tux pointed out, there aren't any other mineral dumps on the warpgate than zealots, so there is no other thing that they could have been referring to.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    Again: No, Blizzard has not said that. What Kim said in the 1.1 sitrep was that it was too easy to a) proxy gate zealots early and b) dump minerals late by spamming out zealots late-game, so they increased the build time in 1.1 to address both problems. That does not equal a problem with the concept of warp gates.

EDIT: And I'll link the sitrep again.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/692221
    David Kim wrote:
    We have two key changes in mind for the zealot: the build time is being increased from 33 to 38 seconds, and the warpgate cooldown is being increased from 23 to 28 seconds. Zealot rushes are currently too powerful at various skill levels, particularly those that rely on rapidly assaulting an enemy base from nearby "proxy" gateways. We feel the window players have to scout for and fend off this rush is too small. We also want to address the problem of protoss being able to dump minerals a bit too quickly with the combination of warpgates and Chrono Boost.

I find the language of
    "We also want to address the problem of protoss being able to dump minerals a bit too quickly with the combination of warpgates and Chrono Boost."
    to be pretty ambiguous.

but sure you can have that victory

anyway
    "We felt late game protoss splash damage was slightly overpowered. This applies both to high templars and colossi. We felt that if we were to nerf both of these units protoss may end up too weak in the late game. Therefore, we decided to adjust high templars first and see how the game plays out. As we’ve mentioned many times before, we feel it’s safer to take small steps in making balance changes than making drastic changes to an entire race."

so collosus are getting a nerf. the collosus is slightly imba according to blizzard

And this goes back to what I said about idiots like you taking preliminary discussions from Blizzard and turning them into absolute "this is what is changing" statements.

Nowhere in that statement does it say "Colossus are OP we are gonna nerf them".

What they say is "we feel lategame splash damage for Protoss is slightly overpowered". What this means, and it was true, is that the combination of warp-in instant storm high templars with a colossus ball were too strong. Since they don't want to nerf both and risk making Protoss too weak in the lategame, they changed the templar first. This has, like it or not, admit it or not, had the effect of making Protoss colossi balls pretty much the be-all end-all. In most games, eventually a Protoss would phase out Colossus from their army and stick to exclusively templar once they had safely transitioned to that tech on multiple mining bases with abundant gas. Now, however, the Colossi tech path is still stronger, so there is no reason to transition.

Personally I would have preferred they nerf the Colossus and leave storm/amulet upgrades the way they were, but its not up to me.
    "This applies both to high templars and collosi." nowhere does it say that its only a problem if both high templar and collosi are being used at the same time, you dolt. The statement is saying that A) high templar splash is too strong and B) collosi splash is to strong. it is not saying that 'Collosi splash combined with high templar splash is too strong' even though that is true.

Dude, nowhere does it say that both are too powerful separately. The only thing it says is that they felt Protoss splash damage was slightly overpowered.

You read way more into that then was there too, you just read it in a different way and then hilariously touted your apparently amazing reasoning capabilities.

Khavall on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    I would also appreciate it, Iowa, if you would just go away or stop trolling.

+1

Guek on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    or recognize jest
    The difference between you 'joking' and you trolling is imperceptible.

JAEF on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is why you don't gg early. Your opponent may be much more terrible than you think.

repimg-33-202170.jpg

(As an aside, I've been called a hacker twice in like 6 games. That's good, right?)

(Also, I broke my no-4gating rule, but I think you'll appreciate the extenuating circumstances)

I enjoyed this replay :) Apparently he "did the math in his head"

That said, however, I do wish you'd have built that cannon one spot lower so that it formed part of a complete wall, or at least put another pylon there to block it. You had plenty of time to do so, and probes are never going to keep zerglings back for long.

I did like how you checked the gold base thoughl.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

the quote from Blizzard says neither of these things. It does not specifically mention either of the two options being individually overpowered, nor does it mention the combination of the two being overpowered.
    "We felt late game protoss splash damage was slightly overpowered. This applies both to high templars and colossi."
    You cannot draw a conclusion 100% either way from that statement, but given that they said Protoss splash damage is too strong, that does lean you, logically, towards assuming that it is both units together, as well as the fact that they only nerfed the templar to start with. You are once again taking quotes and attempting to pull meaning from them to suit what you want, whereas I am simply pointing out to you your fallacies in such.

For example trying to claim that warpgates + chronoboost are overpowered because of a claim that Blizzard said, MONTHS AND MONTHS AGO, "protoss can dump MINERALS too easily with warpgate and chronoboost lategame". Which they fixed with a zealot build time change. And as tux pointed out, there aren't any other mineral dumps on the warpgate than zealots, so there is no other thing that they could have been referring to.
    Yes you can't be 100%

of course not. but you can make inferences think about what they seem to be implying from that statement.

how are there not any other mineral dumps than zealots? stalkers are only 50 gas, not a large cost in the late game.

plus we have david kim trying out different warpgate ideas etc etc etc

I feel that this indicates there will be a change to warpgates in the future.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://tactic3d.complexitygaming.com/ who's signing up for this? Open no-cost registration, $10k in prizes for the top 16.

Edit: US and Canada (minus Quebec) only :(

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

"We felt late game protoss splash damage was slightly overpowered. This applies both to high templars and colossi."

Yes you can't be 100%

of course not. but you can make inferences think about what they seem to be implying from that statement.

how are there not any other mineral dumps than zealots? stalkers are only 50 gas, not a large cost in the late game.

plus we have david kim trying out different warpgate ideas etc etc etc

I feel that this indicates there will be a change to warpgates in the future.

because the whole idea of dumping minerals is that you have a bunch of minerals you aren't using because you're using your gas on something else.

dumping gas along with minerals defeats the purpose of a mineral dump.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is why you don't gg early. Your opponent may be much more terrible than you think.

repimg-33-202170.jpg

(As an aside, I've been called a hacker twice in like 6 games. That's good, right?)

(Also, I broke my no-4gating rule, but I think you'll appreciate the extenuating circumstances)

I enjoyed this replay :) Apparently he "did the math in his head"

That said, however, I do wish you'd have built that cannon one spot lower so that it formed part of a complete wall, or at least put another pylon there to block it. You had plenty of time to do so, and probes are never going to keep zerglings back for long.

I did like how you checked the gold base thoughl.
    Yeah, I wasn't sure of the timing, so I left the spot open for my Zealot. Plus I didn't want the Cannon to get destroyed while building. I was going to drop another Pylon with that Probe, then cancel it when the Zealot popped (like I've seen HuK do), but I fucked up and the Probe died.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well it seems that this discussion is over.

I wouldn't have stopped had I not been called a "cunt" of course.

always the towering pillar of morality aren't we, duck.

iowa on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    well it seems that this discussion is over.

I wouldn't have stopped had I not been called a "cunt" of course.

always the towering pillar of morality aren't we, duck.

Yes, your slapfight is over. And you might want to check the edict again, cunt.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Is it possible for a statement of fact to be a targetted insult???

interesting thought experiment.

iowa on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Everything is perfectly balanced.

I only bring this up b/c you posted this in the middle of colossi/HT balance discussion. While I will agree the game is (apparently)pretty much balanced at this point, I would argue the more important question is "is it fun?" For both players and spectators. I figure that everyone agrees that colossi are the most boring tech choice in the game, but due to balance reasons, protoss is getting pigeonholed into going that route everytime (this is certainly arguable as protoss players surely have other doors to open, but the current metagame supports this view). Either colossus needs to be knocked down to the perceived value of the other tech choices or the other tech choices need to have their perceived value bumped up to that of the colossus if variety is desired. Obviously this makes for a huge balance headache.

Obviously this is all based on the current metagame. Maybe a huge shift in the metagame will make the other tech choices as desirable or even more desirable that going colossus.

I just don't see the same excitement in games of SC2 that was readily apparent in BW. And I'm afraid that strategies may stagnate, which will only make it worse.

EDIT: I fear that everyone is too concerned over whether the game is perfectly balance (and accept that as good enough), when I feel that, what good is a perfectly balanced game if it isn't exciting to watch/fun to play?

Maratastik on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Olorin wrote: »

I only bring this up b/c you posted this in the middle of colossi/HT balance discussion. While I will agree the game is (apparently)pretty much balanced at this point, I would argue the more important question is "is it fun?" For both players and spectators. I figure that everyone agrees that colossi are the most boring tech choice in the game, but due to balance reasons, protoss is getting pigeonholed into going that route everytime (this is certainly arguable as protoss players surely have other doors to open, but the current metagame supports this view). Either colossus needs to be knocked down to the perceived value of the other tech choices or the other tech choices need to have their perceived value bumped up to that of the colossus if variety is desired. Obviously this makes for a huge balance headache.

Obviously this is all based on the current metagame. Maybe a huge shift in the metagame will make the other tech choices as desirable or even more desirable that going colossus.

I just don't see the same excitement in games of SC2 that was readily apparent in BW. And I'm afraid that strategies may stagnate, which will only make it worse.

this is definitely my primary concern as well. i think terran is the most dynamic of all 3 races. they have so many nifty toys, such broad tech options, and a bevy of strats that are fun to watch. this is why I support making gateway armies more powerful at the cost of colossi because I think it'd lead to more interesting matches. imagine if blink stalkers were even MORE powerful or zealots did more than just serve as meatshields that quickly vanish against late game armies. of course it'd be at the expense of colossi but it'd also be more fun to watch.

Guek on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks, A Duck!

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Guek wrote: »

this is definitely my primary concern as well. i think terran is the most dynamic of all 3 races. they have so many nifty toys, such broad tech options, and a bevy of strats that are fun to watch. this is why I support making gateway armies more powerful at the cost of colossi because I think it'd lead to more interesting matches. imagine if blink stalkers were even MORE powerful or zealots did more than just serve as meatshields that quickly vanish against late game armies. of course it'd be at the expense of colossi but it'd also be more fun to watch.

And despite their broad tech options, the prevalence of colossi centric builds in PvT, is limiting the terran to going viking. There has certainly been some variation (a recent mass thor game comes to mind), but vikings are still probably the most effective option to deal with colossi. Having one race stagnate can potentially cause the other races to stagnate in the matchup as well, which makes for some very boring games.

Obviously I am being a bit pessimistic...but I feel my concerns have at least some merit.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The last 10 pages of this thread were brought to you by TeamLiquid.net. And curse you TotalBiscuit, for jinxing us and saying we were "sensible". Or maybe he planned this all along...

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I think a problem with protoss is that stargate tech is so situational.

Phoenixes are great units, don't get me wrong. But they are very situational. They are great at harass, but only good as part of your army if your opponent has a very specific unit mix that is useful to have the phoenixes against, such as a couple banshees, or a couple tanks that you can lift.

Void rays are also great units, but they also suffer from a similar problem. As part of an army, they are only good in numbers greater than 4-5, and they also die very quickly when focused, especially by a cheap and easily massed unit like marines, which Protoss needs AOE units to effectively deal with large numbers of. Besides that, they're essentially harass units.

Carriers are great, but take a long time to get to and are not as powerful once on the field as a Colossus would be in a similar situation.

Gateway units themselves are good, but they need support units to really shine, and the problem with the current metagame (which may not be reflective of the overall state of the game but is a current true fact right now) is that the only tech path that provides truly effective support units (key fact - support units as part of an army, not merely harass units) is the robotics tech path.

If there was a change made to make Protoss capable of dealing cost-efficiently with masses of hydralisks or marines using a tech path besides Colossus, I think we'd see a lot more stargate play. As it is, any plan involving stargate tech vs Terran or Zerg has to, at some point, be transitioning into Colossus to deal with the inevitable hydralisks or marines.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blinks stalkers are already balling. You can deny Z his third just by continually harassing him

Although if more players learned that the response to your opponent going for expensive flashy tech is to go fucking kill him, then that harass might get into trouble

Robman on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    imagine if blink stalkers were even MORE powerful or zealots did more than just serve as meatshields that quickly vanish against late game armies. of course it'd be at the expense of colossi but it'd also be more fun to watch.

Are we not aware of 4 gate and 6 gate pushes? Those are extremely prevalent as is. You don't even need colossi. Mind you this is from a zerg viewpoint.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    what good is a perfectly balanced game if it isn't exciting to watch/fun to play?
    This is an entirely separate issue. If you're really concerned about this I imagine you were crestfallen when the patch notes announced a change to the templar (fun/dynamic spellcaster that's interesting to watch) rather than the colossus?

While I support the idea that the game should be, when possible, designed to be more fun to watch I also think that theorycrafting the massive amounts of balance changes required to effectively force viability for certain units or playstyles in the metagame is both silly and a waste of time. The metagame continues to change on its own and Blizzard will do what Blizzard does, whether you think that X changes to warpgate tech and Y changes to mothership rushes would be super rad or not.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    imagine if blink stalkers were even MORE powerful or zealots did more than just serve as meatshields that quickly vanish against late game armies. of course it'd be at the expense of colossi but it'd also be more fun to watch.

Are we not aware of 4 gate and 6 gate pushes? Those are extremely prevalent as is. You don't even need colossi. Mind you this is from a zerg viewpoint.

Well you would have to do more than just make gateway units stronger and colossi weaker, for the exact reasons you pointed out.

Delaying warpgates would probably be enough to balance 4gate with stronger gateway units.

Nerfing FF (I don't know how, but in some way) would probably be enough to balance 6 gate pushes.

But I feel I'm delving too far into a hornet's nest so I'm not going to keep suggesting "potential balance changes." My main point is, I don't care what changes I just want something about protoss to change (either a metagame shift which would be ideal, or through balance changes, which would be ugly an impractical).

Maratastik on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blizzard's method for balancing Colossus/HT seems the opposite of their intention. Taking out amulet was a massive change that has badly disrupted the meta-game towards Colossi only. I have no idea how they didn't see that the change would cause that. Nerfing the amulet to 15 energy, and nerfing Colossus damage a little bit would have been the slight change they wanted.

Buffing Gateway units seems like a really bad idea to me though. 4 and 6-gate pushes are already terrifying enough at pretty much all levels of play. I do, however, like the change (I think Dhal mentioned) where they'd increase WG cooldowns and reduce build-times for units built from a Gateway after WG research is complete.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As a side note I signed up for that tourney.

It'd be cool to be plopped in a weak bracket and get to the second qualifier where you could at least get a few games versus some good players. Heck maybe even you get super randomly to the top 32 and get a nice match with a pro.

redraptor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    what good is a perfectly balanced game if it isn't exciting to watch/fun to play?
    This is an entirely separate issue. If you're really concerned about this I imagine you were crestfallen when the patch notes announced a change to the templar (fun/dynamic spellcaster that's interesting to watch) rather than the colossus?

While I support the idea that the game should be, when possible, designed to be more fun to watch I also think that theorycrafting the massive amounts of balance changes required to effectively force viability for certain units or playstyles in the metagame is both silly and a waste of time. The metagame continues to change on its own and Blizzard will do what Blizzard does, whether you think that X changes to warpgate tech and Y changes to mothership rushes would be super rad or not.

Oh I agree with this 100%. Trying to change that much at this point is entirely impractical, which is why I don't like discussing the topic. But I'm just feeling a bit pessimistic about the current state of the matchups. And I do think that even if the game is perfectly balanced in it's current state, if the meta game doesn't evolve, I don't know if the scene will survive. And that's my fundamental worry, does the current balance state support an evolution in the metagame? Obviously it's impossible to answer that. And we still have two expansion packs to go through.

And again, I realize I'm am being very pessimistic. It's just kinda how I feel right now.

EDIT: and in answer to your question, yes I was very crestfallen at the HT nerf. I would much rather have seen a colossus nerf. And I say this as both a terran and protoss player.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It just seems early to say that any race is limited in a matchup.

not saying changes couldn't bring benefits if that's what they decide to do, but I can't see passing a verdict right now for certain tech being too obvious of a choice or too powerful over other tech.

I don't think protoss want to go colossus every game, even pro players, not just because it's boring but because it's obvious. I imagine some variability will come to the matchup in more than the creative one base plays we've seen on both sides. if terran make mech work, that would obviously influence protoss by force. if toss make any given thing work, that will change how terran plays. not enough time has passed for me to say this won't happen.

at least, that's how I understand the evolution of these matchups. something that takes time.

maybe a certain breed of mech play is OP tvp. maybe there is a way to integrate stargate besides phoenix vs. vikings. dunno.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    spanishiwa build better at it. ultras so fast, no early gas

repimg-33-202182.jpg

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dhal actually ruins around 3 pages by complaining about how iowa and I ruined the 3 before that. lol.

Maybe you could have gotten to high masters if you didn't spend so much time arguing on forums Dhal. (/sarcasm)

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Evangir wrote: »
    Blizzard's method for balancing Colossus/HT seems the opposite of their intention. Taking out amulet was a massive change that has badly disrupted the meta-game towards Colossi only. I have no idea how they didn't see that the change would cause that. Nerfing the amulet to 15 energy, and nerfing Colossus damage a little bit would have been the slight change they wanted.

Buffing Gateway units seems like a really bad idea to me though. 4 and 6-gate pushes are already terrifying enough at pretty much all levels of play. I do, however, like the change (I think Dhal mentioned) where they'd increase WG cooldowns and reduce build-times for units built from a Gateway after WG research is complete.

yes, this is the one I proposed.

Basically current build times, lets take a zealot for example, is 38 seconds out of a gateway, and 28 seconds (+5 warpin time) out of a warp gate.

If we keep the base 38 seconds for normal gateways, leave warp gate tech where it is.

Then once you have researched warp gate, the build time for a zealot out of a gateway is shorter. For arguments sake, we could say its the same as warpgate time, so 28+5 = 33 seconds. This is post-warp gate research. Maybe that number might need to be tweaked up or down.

The build time for a zealot out of a warp gate after that would be 38 + 5 seconds warpin, so it takes a LOT longer to build units out of a warp gate than out of a gateway, with the advantage of having those units where you want them instantly, while simultaneously not introducing the problems of proxy gates being too strong, which is what would happen if you just flat out reduced gateway times.

This would then introduce an interesting dynamic for Protoss, whether to make all your gates into warpgates and go full offensive, whether to play a defensive style with some warpgates for warping in vs harass and some gateways to balance it out so that you can still get some good fast production, or whether to go full macro style and rely on static defenses and army positioning, and keep everything in gateway form.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's been a real prevalence of cheese on the ladder lately. I don't think it was this bad about 2 months ago.

Just about every ZvZ I have banelings rushing straight for the mineral line around 5 minutes in.

Lots of blue flame rushes into 2 port cloaked banshee.

Lots of fake 3 gate/nexus cancel into 4 or 5 gate.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    If protoss late game is ineffective why not just change blink and charge a little bit? Maybe add a move speed buff to blink.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    But I'm just feeling a bit pessimistic about the current state of the matchups. And I do think that even if the game is perfectly balanced in it's current state, if the meta game doesn't evolve, I don't know if the scene will survive.
    Luckily Blizzard has a rather significant financial investment in the success of SC2 as an esports platform and they employee people whose jobs are to make SC2 balanced and interesting.

They pay people to worry about it so that you don't have to.

JAEF on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Oh I agree with this 100%. Trying to change that much at this point is entirely impractical, which is why I don't like discussing the topic. But I'm just feeling a bit pessimistic about the current state of the matchups. And I do think that even if the game is perfectly balanced in it's current state, if the meta game doesn't evolve, I don't know if the scene will survive. And that's my fundamental worry, does the current balance state support an evolution in the metagame? Obviously it's impossible to answer that. And we still have two expansion packs to go through.

And again, I realize I'm am being very pessimistic. It's just kinda how I feel right now.

EDIT: and in answer to your question, yes I was very crestfallen at the HT nerf. I would much rather have seen a colossus nerf. And I say this as both a terran and protoss player.

Don't forget that we're getting two expansions. The scene is exciting enough at the moment, with enough variation in builds to sustain itself for 2-3 years until we get new units out, in addition to balance changes. I think concerns about SC2's ability to entertain indefinitely is a little premature.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    But I'm just feeling a bit pessimistic about the current state of the matchups. And I do think that even if the game is perfectly balanced in it's current state, if the meta game doesn't evolve, I don't know if the scene will survive.
    Luckily Blizzard has a rather significant financial investment in the success of SC2 as an esports platform and they employee people whose jobs are to make SC2 balanced and interesting.

They pay people to worry about it so that you don't have to.

Oh lord, I if I had been drinking anything it would be all over my monitor right now. Thanks for that.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Evangir wrote: »

yes, this is the one I proposed.

Basically current build times, lets take a zealot for example, is 38 seconds out of a gateway, and 28 seconds (+5 warpin time) out of a warp gate.

If we keep the base 38 seconds for normal gateways, leave warp gate tech where it is.

Then once you have researched warp gate, the build time for a zealot out of a gateway is shorter. For arguments sake, we could say its the same as warpgate time, so 28+5 = 33 seconds. This is post-warp gate research. Maybe that number might need to be tweaked up or down.

The build time for a zealot out of a warp gate after that would be 38 + 5 seconds warpin, so it takes a LOT longer to build units out of a warp gate than out of a gateway, with the advantage of having those units where you want them instantly, while simultaneously not introducing the problems of proxy gates being too strong, which is what would happen if you just flat out reduced gateway times.

This would then introduce an interesting dynamic for Protoss, whether to make all your gates into warpgates and go full offensive, whether to play a defensive style with some warpgates for warping in vs harass and some gateways to balance it out so that you can still get some good fast production, or whether to go full macro style and rely on static defenses and army positioning, and keep everything in gateway form.

There would have to be like, a million adjustments to balance with this if that were to happen.

Like the fundamentals of playing Protoss would have to change, basically.

Protoss is a race built around specific timings. Their macro mechanic makes certain timings work. Their main unit producing structure allows specific timings. Protoss is like, the ridiculously time-focused race. Changing the nature of timings of gateways would change that in a really, really serious way.

Khavall on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I fuckin hate everything about the zerg, but they are the most fun to draw

hydra.jpg

wakkawa on