Options

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• Options
    PeonsPeons Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://imageshack.us/f/831/38843306.jpg/

Pic of the first major siege I had in my current fort that is operating under my challenge rules.

1. Can never fully seal the fortress off from the outside world.
    2. Must get 90%+ of siege kills in hand to hand combat.

Pretty much the only traps this fortress has at the front door are just for capturing the occasional thief that comes in, I have cage traps up (After this pic was taken) for capturing goblins for mass executions and lols.

Anyway, this first major siege was incredibly bullshit. I get sieged by goblins, I organize my military and the humans decide to siege me at the exact same time. I still have no idea how the humans got pissed at me, their trading caravan came, left peacefully with large profit and their diplomat had made it out after saying "Nice place".

My first military squad in full iron gear met the goblins, killed a decent amount but were wiped out except for 2. The goblins retreated but the trolls that were with them didn't. The trolls started destroying my barracks (Right above the main gate) while I scrambled to get another squad ready. Unfortunately the squad refused to get some of the gear inside the fort and wanted to get the gear outside the fort. Queue large scale wrestling match with the trolls that went straight into the main halls (The huge trail of blood, vomit, and bones going into the main hall).

Meanwhile, the humans are sitting outside laughing and not advancing near/into the fort. The 3 trolls that are left are full yellow from all the dwarves beating them with their fists, and most dwarves that engage them are just battered.

I grabbed yet another 10 dwarves and sent them in against the trolls, but a few went out to have fun with the humans (Gear grabbing again). Queue bombardment of mass arrows on dwarves, but funnily enough their marksmen were complete crap and only killed a few dwarves before running out of ammo.

The trolls are STILL screwing my main hall, and destroying workshops while laughing at dwarves punching them in their face, and one dwarf is outside surrounded by 8 human archers who are out of ammo and are just BEATING him with their crossbows... apparently a pig tail cloak means that once you're knocked out you are invulnerable to iron crossbows.

Queue the entrance of a dwarf I have begun to think of Dwarf Fortress's Brock Samson. I had recruited yet more dwarves into a military squad, and one of them happened to be a wood cutter. This psychotic dwarf enters the scene and immediately lays WASTE to every hostile NPC on the map. He killed every troll, almost every human, and while chasing the humans away he triggered a goblin ambush of 5-7 goblins, and proceeded to just beat the beejesus out of them.

This dwarf now has 40 kills, 1 forgotten beast kill, and a few random kills from before he was in my fortress and is a named champion axe lord. I built him a tomb.

Every time I get sieged though, this guy is hauling major ass (He got a lot of armor use expertise, and is now faster then most of my unarmored dwarves while wearing full plate) and just wrecking goblin/human/elf shit. He was hanging out near an elven caravan after I accidentally tried to trade them a wooden bin, and they got all pissy. You can probably guess what happened to said elven caravan.

Peons on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Peons wrote: »
    http://imageshack.us/f/831/38843306.jpg/

Pic of the first major siege I had in my current fort that is operating under my challenge rules.

1. Can never fully seal the fortress off from the outside world.
    2. Must get 90%+ of siege kills in hand to hand combat.

Pretty much the only traps this fortress has at the front door are just for capturing the occasional thief that comes in, I have cage traps up (After this pic was taken) for capturing goblins for mass executions and lols.

Anyway, this first major siege was incredibly bullshit. I get sieged by goblins, I organize my military and the humans decide to siege me at the exact same time. I still have no idea how the humans got pissed at me, their trading caravan came, left peacefully with large profit and their diplomat had made it out after saying "Nice place".

My first military squad in full iron gear met the goblins, killed a decent amount but were wiped out except for 2. The goblins retreated but the trolls that were with them didn't. The trolls started destroying my barracks (Right above the main gate) while I scrambled to get another squad ready. Unfortunately the squad refused to get some of the gear inside the fort and wanted to get the gear outside the fort. Queue large scale wrestling match with the trolls that went straight into the main halls (The huge trail of blood, vomit, and bones going into the main hall).

Meanwhile, the humans are sitting outside laughing and not advancing near/into the fort. The 3 trolls that are left are full yellow from all the dwarves beating them with their fists, and most dwarves that engage them are just battered.

I grabbed yet another 10 dwarves and sent them in against the trolls, but a few went out to have fun with the humans (Gear grabbing again). Queue bombardment of mass arrows on dwarves, but funnily enough their marksmen were complete crap and only killed a few dwarves before running out of ammo.

The trolls are STILL screwing my main hall, and destroying workshops while laughing at dwarves punching them in their face, and one dwarf is outside surrounded by 8 human archers who are out of ammo and are just BEATING him with their crossbows... apparently a pig tail cloak means that once you're knocked out you are invulnerable to iron crossbows.

Queue the entrance of a dwarf I have begun to think of Dwarf Fortress's Brock Samson. I had recruited yet more dwarves into a military squad, and one of them happened to be a wood cutter. This psychotic dwarf enters the scene and immediately lays WASTE to every hostile NPC on the map. He killed every troll, almost every human, and while chasing the humans away he triggered a goblin ambush of 5-7 goblins, and proceeded to just beat the beejesus out of them.

This dwarf now has 40 kills, 1 forgotten beast kill, and a few random kills from before he was in my fortress and is a named champion axe lord. I built him a tomb.

Every time I get sieged though, this guy is hauling major ass (He got a lot of armor use expertise, and is now faster then most of my unarmored dwarves while wearing full plate) and just wrecking goblin/human/elf shit. He was hanging out near an elven caravan after I accidentally tried to trade them a wooden bin, and they got all pissy. You can probably guess what happened to said elven caravan.

See this is why I love this game so much... the picture doesn't say much, but the imagery conveyed is 5 Barrels full of awesomeness.

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You built him a tomb, but he's not dead yet, right?

Because although it's fitting, it seems a little overkill. If this asshole doesn't live forever in corporeal form, he certainly already will in legend.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dump his corpse in the river, his ghost will guard your fortress for all eternity!

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jesus, I triggered a tidal wave of ambushes that quickly ended my civilisation.

Now, I've sent a team to reclaim the fortress. A team where everybody has the biting skill. Any hidden goblins gonna have a terrible time. Also, I ponied up for a war durdwarf to accompany Chief Explorer Miner.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I used to always dig into the sides of mountains, but lately I've been preferring to dig a big hole straight down. I then build what is effectively a small castle on top of that to defend it. I even had a moat in one. Which was great, until winter rolled around and the moat froze.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Jesus, I triggered a tidal wave of ambushes that quickly ended my civilisation.

Now, I've sent a team to reclaim the fortress. A team where everybody has the biting skill. Any hidden goblins gonna have a terrible time. Also, I ponied up for a war durdwarf to accompany Chief Explorer Miner.

Jojo knows whats up.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You built him a tomb, but he's not dead yet, right?

Because although it's fitting, it seems a little overkill. If this asshole doesn't live forever in corporeal form, he certainly already will in legend.

Yeah he's still alive, I have another axe dwarf champion too that seems to be following in his foot steps, gave him a tomb also (Bit worse on the value scale of course).

My noble is probably going to flip shit if he ever walks near either of their tombs because they're as good as his.

Peons on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Finally getting the hang of this. Farming is one thing that throws me consistently, why wont my dwarves plant all the seeds I have? they only plant like 3 or 4, when I have 15, and 12 plots...

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Laziness, I end up by the time I have a decent sized fort going just having 2 guys that do nothing but plant and harvest, not even haul, they just plant and harvest. When not harvesting they drink heavily and sit around my halls.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Finally getting the hang of this. Farming is one thing that throws me consistently, why wont my dwarves plant all the seeds I have? they only plant like 3 or 4, when I have 15, and 12 plots...

Planting seems to be kinda meh on job priority. Turn off your farmer's hauling labors (Leave food hauling on so he'll empty the fields too instead of waiting for other dwarves to do it for him) and he should chain plant when he's not eating/drinking/sleeping (Or getting caught in parties).

Peons on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    my fort finally succumbed to forgotten beasts and goblin ambushes, i had issues an alert to keep my dwarves in my burrow, but i was trying to lure goblins to my front gates so i could shoot them, I issued 2 commands to pull the lever to lower the gate and raise it up again, but the gate didn't go back up so i opened up my front door to about 20 goblins against my 3 marksdwarves and 2 injured macedwarves.

it did not go well.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I keep hoping Minecraft will turn into a 3D version of Dwarf Fortress, because I'd dearly like to get into DF, but I get tired of the game's appearance pretty quickly.

EDIT: Yes, I know this makes me a bad person. What's the best graphics mod for DF?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mayday's set. It's not up to date on his official site but the forums keep it maintained, you can probably find the thread with the latest patch by Googling.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I keep hoping Minecraft will turn into a 3D version of Dwarf Fortress, because I'd dearly like to get into DF, but I get tired of the game's appearance pretty quickly.

EDIT: Yes, I know this makes me a bad person. What's the best graphics mod for DF?

I've discovered that Phoebus' Graphics Set is probably the best and up-to-date graphics package out there now.

IMHO

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I've discovered that Phoebus' Graphics Set is probably the best and up-to-date graphics package out there now.

IMHO
    Wow, that might actually get me to switch to a tileset...

Does it mess with text like others do? My one pet peeve about tilesets.

gilrain on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

IMHO

That's almost enough to tempt me to use a graphics mod.

Almost.

Then the shame bubbles up.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tragedy Strikes! And in it I find the hand of a higher being. Happenstance? You tell me...

It all started with a message of Possession. What made it odd was that it was a young Dwarven girl. A child by the name of Zan 'Orbgrips'. She claims a craftshop and sets to work. Meanwhile...

I've dug down to the magma sea and have a nice forge area set up. I'm gearing up for glass production so I dig a channel out for the magma to get to my kiln. It's a straight tunnel 1 block wide and 10 blocks in length. I smooth it out and prepair to carve fortifications into the end of it to let the magma in. In hidesite, this tunnel is longer than my previous ones, and relying on the 'ole carve and outrun the magma trick might have been a bad idea.

Reguardless, I set the designation.

Going off to work on other areas I see the message "Odom 'Wetbolt' Engraver has bled to death!"

Seems he DIDN'T outrun the magma, though he did make it to the end of the tunnel. He died on the ramp leading up. I investigate!

Poor bastard didn't have a chance

"He is quick to tire and quite clumsy"
    "His is very fat"

Then I notice something else. He was married with two children. A boy and a girl.

Yes! His Daugther is none other than the mad dwarven girl madly working away in my craftdwarf's workshop! Clearly she was so disturbed by her fathers death (BEFORE IT HAPPENED) that she was possessed by unknown forces.

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    gilrain wrote: »

I think it basically has to mess with text, due to the dumb way Toady designed it. O's, periods, commas, apostrophes and more are all shared between text and graphics. The icons that indicate quality are all used elsewhere too, so instead of <sword> you get STAIRCASEswordSTAIRCASE or whatever.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I think it basically has to mess with text, due to the dumb way Toady designed it. O's, periods, commas, apostrophes and more are all shared between text and graphics. The icons that indicate quality are all used elsewhere too, so instead of <sword> you get STAIRCASEswordSTAIRCASE or whatever.
    Well, dang. I'm sticking with ASCII until that gets changed. I'm sure you get used to it, but the sheer jankyness of the whole thing would grate on my nerves.

gilrain on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My only problem with maydays is that it looks good when you smooth out the stone, but once you start engraving its really wonky looking :\ Don't suppose any of the sets makes all the engraved walls/floors look the same?

LockeCole on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

If you enable TTF it will use proper font instead of the sprites, thus eliminating that* problem

*However, on my system (ubuntu 10.04/11.04 official nvidia drivers), it also causes crashes over.. something on certain screens. In adventure mode, the aimed attack screen causes it.

That's the only place I've noticed, haven't tried it in dwarf mode.

[e] I use Ironhand's graphics, for what it's worth. I like them slightly better than Phoebus's

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In my experience, engraving barely looks any different from regular walls. If by "wonky" you mean "little dwarf and item icons everywhere," you need to turn off "show engravings." I forget where it is, in the in-game options menu somewhere probably.

That'll make engravings look like regular walls instead of showing the picture of whatever was drawn there.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In my experience, engraving barely looks any different from regular walls. If by "wonky" you mean "little dwarf and item icons everywhere," you need to turn off "show engravings." I forget where it is, in the in-game options menu somewhere probably.

That'll make engravings look like regular walls instead of showing the picture of whatever was drawn there.

Phoebus' set fixes that. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the problems of O's sharing the same tile as barrels. :?

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As far as texture packs go, I use Ironhand's myself. I like the bits and pieces he took from other packs, and his animals are awesome.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I just got back into playing this again - having plenty of Fun working out how pastures and all the other new features work. Forgot how time-consuming this was!

But I just checked the civilization screen and was surprised to find only dwarves are listed there! I guess I forgot to check on embark...

I really don't want to restart now or I think I'll lose interest again, but sieges make things much more interesting. Is there a mod or ini edit I can make to "force" access from all civilizations? Or is the only option to abandon fort? :(

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The civ screen will be blank until you encounter the other civs, ie. when traders come or goblins attack. Give it a year or two, most likely you will start to get goblin thieves or baby snatchers and they will appear on the civ screen.

EDIT: To toggle off engravings in game use the (d)esignation menu, its one of the options (v maybe?). Then just select the area and it will turn the crazy pictures into uniform tiles again. Or you can set an option in the init file to default engravings to off.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I got incredibly irked at the elves when I had setup a big trade, and had gone through and manually selected all the trade items (Since all my trade items are in wooden bins), and apparently I accidentally had one wooden item in there.

Now the elves get all pissy that I must've chopped down their cousin's love slave or something and started packing up. I've decided that I will no longer be a slave to the elves and their crazy wood fetishes. What gives them the right to come to my fortress every year bearing nothing BUT wooden items/logs but they get all pissy when I try to give them wood back.

I sent my Brock Samson axedwarf over, and I just imagine that he screamed out "TRADE FOR THE TRADE GOD", because now the trade depot is bathed in blood and I stole all the elves crap. I'm sure next spring those flimsy poofters will come waving their pointy sticks or something.

Peons on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I assume they only make their woodcrafts from trees and branches that died of old age or fell in storms.

Which still means they're depriving the forest of potential nutrients but whatever!

Also, did Toady remove the thing where they demand that you only cut down a few trees a year? It hasn't happened to me in ages and I clear cut constantly. Or is that just if you piss them off?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I got it recently, and I responded by slow killing them with my wrestling squad.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well that was quick...

Found a spire of adamantite... WOOT.

Knock down one wall and OH LOOK... the adamantite spire goes about 30 levels up from here...

and it's hollow...

And it's home to ALL KINDS OF HFS....

And I don't have a military... AT ALL...

22 dwarfs dead in 2 minutes...

Rerolling with a tad more trees on the next map.

SulSeeker on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so i settled on a map with a spring (just the spring, no other part of the river!)

aaaaaaand

aaaaaaand

it's frozen

how do i get water :(

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    unless you're in a glacially cold area, it'll melt at some time during the year

then you can drain some of it underground with a floodgate system, to have some when you need it.

Water doesn't freeze from biome temperature underground.

Make sure you put it in a cistern three or more levels tall; it lets the grit and dirt sink to the bottom, so dwarves won't get bad thoughts about drinking brackish water.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Recently I've been building my fortresses around a giant spiraling ramp that goes all the way from a fortified entrance down through the cavern layers to a living space by the magma. I like being down deep, and it really doesn't take that long for a dwarf to walk up or down the ramp.

TurnpikeLad on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is it going to be impossible to keep animals on a map that snows over one season a year with the new pasture rules

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As far as I know you can still make indoor pastures.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    Make sure you put it in a cistern three or more levels tall; it lets the grit and dirt sink to the bottom, so dwarves won't get bad thoughts about drinking brackish water.

Wait, really? I have never done this and never seen this complaint.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sometimes people implement features in their minds that haven't been coded into the game yet.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    6th times the charm!

I finally got a good spot, and a good start. I've been working on digging down and so far my fortress looks like this (list goes down from ground level):

Entry, with walled off main open air area, trade depot, and 2 leavers for locking the main door and pulling up the draw bridge, 30 traps in the main entry hall.

Warehouse for general goods, plots with floodgate irrigation from nearby lakes

Stone warehouse (this thing is huge, holds all my stone and metal ore)

6 workshops
    6 more workshops
    7 furnaces
    Main hall, food storage, armory
    Dormatory
    Start of my barracks

And now I'm struggling, I'm only 10 or so levels down into the earth, but I am at a loss to dig deeper. Should I just delve and spread out once I'm 50 or so levels down?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dkarrde wrote: »

Wait, really? I have never done this and never seen this complaint.

It is something that *can* happen. Usually in dirt and sand. It doesn't always happen though.

Amikron Devalia on