Options

[STEAM] Summer Sale is in full swing. Current Contests now featured in OP (λ)

• Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Left 4 Dead 2 Giveaway!

Simply ask me for a copy in a clever way. I'll accept requests until 8:00 pm EST and choose a winner then based on my secret clever calculation formula. Please PM request to me as I will be away from now until then, and won't be keeping up with what I am sure will be another 20+ pages of thread while I'm gone.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    GOD DAMN IT I JUST BOUGHT THE SIMS 3 PACK

FUCK YOU STEAM

Edit: apparently this has been addressed, and Magic Pink has perhaps learned a lesson about giving context?

Maybe you should learn not to be condescending and to not jump to being insulted for stupid reasons.

Maybe I should've added a smiley face to indicate whimsy, but you're starting to be a goose over it.

Perhaps adding something about serving the Newell to indicate that you weren't suddenly angry, because as is, your post really comes across as being pissed off, presumably about having bought The Sims 3 prior to the Daily.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been surprised and a little disappointed that so far there really hasn't been anything that I felt like purchasing, since at the moment I can.

Now, this past winter there was a LOT I wanted to get, but I was extremely short on cash, so I missed out.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    Has Capsized been cheaper than 4.99?

Nope, wanting it and Metro and maybe Inside a Star Filled Sky to go on sale

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Heh, I just remembered I still have an ER bill in addition to having a bachelor party/tux rental to pay for this week. Gonna ease up on my purchases even more (I've been pretty low-key all sale anyway).

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Psiberian wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'll have to pick up the Zombie one, I was told it was pretty fun (and hell, $3 is nothing :P).

Side note - I bought Darksiders earlier when it was $5. Man that game is fun. I'm not sure I care for the PC controls though - I'm going to have to get my 360 controller hooked up I think.

i actually bought this game twice. the first time on my xbox loved it, then bought it on my computer *I serve the newel* I actually preferred the kbam controls to the xbox by a large margin.

I don't know, it just feels so weird to me. Especially mouse clicking to attack when attacking involves a lot of button mashing :P I'm much more used to a gamepad for that kind of gameplay.

Also the whole "Hold CAPS LOCK and press a number key" thing feels clunky as hell :)

understandable, the xbox controls for me were the same way for me awkward key presses to do stuff. I wish you luck, i never could get my xbox controller to play on my pc lol

I've gotten it to work before (Psychonauts on PC is fun as hell with a gamepad :D) but it's really convoluted. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I recall having all kinds of issues with the controller syncing - like, it interfered w/ my actual 360 or something weird like that.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Capsized was in a 5 for 10 indie deal a month or so back, along with several games that have gone on sale in this (atom Zombie, ARES, Sword and Soldiers) in the 3 dollar range.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are the character packs for Killing Floor actual new characters or just reskins? Sorry if this has been asked. I cannot keep up with this thread for the life of me.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rizzi is a pretty cool dude eh gifts games and doesn't afraid of spouse nagging.

And Killing Floor skins are just skins, no new voices or anything.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SkutSkut is the winner.
    He guessed correctly.
    The word was Wang.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I own all the games for today's tickets. Well, I did have to buy Rush.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I was thinking about buying GTA IV: Complete Edition just to get the episodes (since I already own GTA IV), but when I visit the store page it says "You already own Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition"

Is the Steam store confused or did they upgrade my edition of GTA IV somewhere along the way, unlikely as that sounds? I'd prefer not downloading 15 GB just to find out.

They are seperate games, you dont need to buy one to buy the other. That is what steam is telling you. Just buy episodes, to buy complete there is no point.

Except that right now buying the complete edition would be much cheaper than buying Episodes separately.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So I was thinking about buying GTA IV: Complete Edition just to get the episodes (since I already own GTA IV), but when I visit the store page it says "You already own Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition"

Is the Steam store confused or did they upgrade my edition of GTA IV somewhere along the way, unlikely as that sounds? I'd prefer not downloading 15 GB just to find out.

They are seperate games, you dont need to buy one to buy the other. That is what steam is telling you. Just buy episodes, to buy complete there is no point.

Except that right now buying the complete edition would be much cheaper than buying Episodes separately.

But, if I recall, you can't. If Steam is telling you that you already own the game, you can't buy it.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Are the character packs for Killing Floor actual new characters or just reskins? Sorry if this has been asked. I cannot keep up with this thread for the life of me.

Just skins. Nothing game mechanic based, but I like snagging them to show support for the developers, even if just on sale.

Which is something I've been wondering about; I wonder if there'll be any rewards for the developers? Like, for the item that's redeemed the most or something? We've heard that games on sale see remarkable leaps in profits, so that alone is a good reason to put in a little effort if they got the chance, but it'd be interesting to see what items were redeemed the most, the least, the earliest (first thing people grabbed, etc), but I imagine many of those statistics would be kept private, as is the Newell's naturally secretive state.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    SkutSkut is the winner.
    He guessed correctly.
    The word was Wang.

Oh, I guess you haven't been around long enough to know about wombat

8-)

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll have to pick up the Zombie one, I was told it was pretty fun (and hell, $3 is nothing :P).

Side note - I bought Darksiders earlier when it was $5. Man that game is fun. I'm not sure I care for the PC controls though - I'm going to have to get my 360 controller hooked up I think.

i actually bought this game twice. the first time on my xbox loved it, then bought it on my computer *I serve the newel* I actually preferred the kbam controls to the xbox by a large margin.

I don't know, it just feels so weird to me. Especially mouse clicking to attack when attacking involves a lot of button mashing :P I'm much more used to a gamepad for that kind of gameplay.

Also the whole "Hold CAPS LOCK and press a number key" thing feels clunky as hell :)

understandable, the xbox controls for me were the same way for me awkward key presses to do stuff. I wish you luck, i never could get my xbox controller to play on my pc lol

I've gotten it to work before (Psychonauts on PC is fun as hell with a gamepad :D) but it's really convoluted. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I recall having all kinds of issues with the controller syncing - like, it interfered w/ my actual 360 or something weird like that.

Sounds like you were using the wireless adapter. Which is so bad they stopped making it. Corded 360 controller tends to just work. At least, I've never had to fidget with it (Except when trying to use the trigger keys on really old games, as they recognize them as hat switches or something.)

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SkutSkut is the winner.
    He guessed correctly.
    The word was Wang.

I knew this, but was already classily gifted this.

I owned the first episode on 360 but didn't finish it. Highly looking forward to playing both on PC, though I'm seriously bummed there won't be a third.

Also, is it me or is PA's comic art of late bordering on an unpleasant Ren and Stimpy style? Not too long ago the artwork was perfect, which is especially apparent in these games. Now it's slowly creeping to something more slapstick and cartoonish.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    In the case of GTAIV, I want to buy it, but not only does that mod seem to not work period with the Steam version, one GAF poster said my PC setting wouldn't be able to handle it very well.
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.22 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.67 GB
    Adapter Description ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Primary Adapter
    Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
    Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Device ID 68B8
    Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 2990
    Subsystem Vendor ID 1682

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
    Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 012.013.000.000
    BIOS Part Number 113-HD577AZNF91-113-C01301-007
    BIOS Date 2009/12/04

Memory Size 1024 MB
    Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 850 MHz
    Memory Clock in MHz 1200 MHz
    Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 76.8 GByte/s

Even though I've got Witcher 2 on high settings and it runs perfectly.

I tried to run it early on with the same processor, and it was rough compared to the console version. That said, a few patches had gone by and I started it up once again to test performance. It's not that bad if you are willing to make some compromises.

The issue is that the game was really designed to run on more than 2 cores, as both consoles have at least 3.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hmm I have some L4D2 and Bat-Interest but I may sit this one out. Still I said that yesterday and 3 hours later I had Guild Wars and AI War :/

hamdingers on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tip for anyone playing King Arthur: it is a bad idea to hold off on the fight vs King Idris in the beginning like I did to instead go find the Lady of the Lake--if you do this, he has the time to just continuously recruit, while you don't yet have that ability, and so when you go after him, he crushes you and you have to go back to an earlier save. >.<

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Sounds like you were using the wireless adapter. Which is so bad they stopped making it. Corded 360 controller tends to just work. At least, I've never had to fidget with it (Except when trying to use the trigger keys on really old games, as they recognize them as hat switches or something.)

Yup, it's wireless

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Looks like today I'll go w/ Atom Zombie Smasher, and pick up Zombie Driver and And Yet it Moves.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

But, if I recall, you can't. If Steam is telling you that you already own the game, you can't buy it.

Well then I guess the only conclusion to draw here is that Steam is being dumb.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm bout out of money, so I've decided to be stingy lest something I really wants shows up later.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Christ, I go out for a coffee and you guys have shat out eight pages in my absence!
    ...should've been 10.<3

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, the only thing that really grabs my interest is Batman:AA, but I think the weight of my [strike]backlog[/strike] future gaming repository™ has reached a critical mass whereby any game over $5 just doesn't interest me enough to buy it.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Yup, it's wireless

They don't make the receiver anymore?

I had to replace one not too long ago (just stopped working) and had to do a bit of searching to find a replacement. Beyond that I haven't had any problems other than the issue with Oblivion and AP (still wondering if other controllers work on the latter).

How does one connect a 360 controller to the PC wired? All I have is a cable for the battery pack.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Last Son wrote: »
    Anyone have opinions on the Gothic games? Do the older ones, which seem to have the higher metacritic scores, have issues running on current computers?

Gothic games are great. 1 and 2 are a high point. 3 seems a very YMMV game. 4 sucks. But its a polished kind of suck so I guess if you go in not expecting Fallout 3 level of gold, it might not be terrible. At that price, its hard to say no to the whole set though. If you like those kind of games then there is no real reason to warn you away from any of them. Just know that 4 seems to really lose the general feel of the first 3.

This is pretty accurate. I have the whole set of them, I have enjoyed them all ( though i beat the first two in non steam versions originally.), 4 isn't a bad game really, it just doesn't feel like a game in the Gothic franchise. I had a lot of fun with 1-3 though, they were all good. Honestly I want Risen to go on sale for less, but i'll buy it for $14 its on for right now either way, Risen is the real 4th Gothic game.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SkutSkut is the winner.
    He guessed correctly.
    The word was Wang.

I knew this, but was already classily gifted this.

I owned the first episode on 360 but didn't finish it. Highly looking forward to playing both on PC, though I'm seriously bummed there won't be a third.

Also, is it me or is PA's comic art of late bordering on an unpleasant Ren and Stimpy style? Not too long ago the artwork was perfect, which is especially apparent in these games. Now it's slowly creeping to something more slapstick and cartoonish.

I really like the direction the artwork in Penny Arcade is going. It's getting some really nice lines, colors, balance and expression. I'm definitely not missing the stiff, copy/paste style of the past. It's been pretty great to see the team grow as artists.

And it's a cartoon. Why would it need to look any other way than "cartoonish."

Drake on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    *xbox controller stuff*

So mine is technically wireless but it has the usb cable to plug it in/charge it. When I do so the computer sees that it is a wireless xbox controller and the drivers install just fine ( before plugging in and after) but the controller never shows up in control panel or in device manager... /quandary I don't know if that means that i must get the wireless adapter to make it work or if there is some other voodoo i need to do to make it function. any tips appreciated.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Don't suppose the OP could stay updated with current running contests from members? I realize it might be challenging, but it would be good to keep people in the loop. By my count we've got two contests running now.

...... O_o

"Challenging" is a bit of an understatement. I'll do my best, but the people who host the contests need to help out and not just assume I'm going to catch their initial post. Hopefully this helps....

If you're going to run a contest, please PM your post to me and I'll quote/spoiler it in the OP.

Please do not assume I saw it and then get upset if it's not there. And please have patience with me and understand if it's not in the OP 5 seconds after you send it.

Same courtesy applies to when the contest is over. Please just shoot me a quick PM with the name of the winner.

Edit: If any contests are still running from the previous thread, please let me know as well. Thanks.

Decoy on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    in case anyone cares , you need the full game to get the atom smasher zombie ticket. the demo won't hack it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't think achievements work in any demos, do they?

Corpekata on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    *xbox controller stuff*

So mine is technically wireless but it has the usb cable to plug it in/charge it. When I do so the computer sees that it is a wireless xbox controller and the drivers install just fine ( before plugging in and after) but the controller never shows up in control panel or in device manager... /quandary I don't know if that means that i must get the wireless adapter to make it work or if there is some other voodoo i need to do to make it function. any tips appreciated.

The custom xbox 360 controller drivers might work, but as is, the charge n play cable doesn't let you use the 360 controller by default. Only a hard wired 360 controller works. (I spent a good while hunting one down used from gamestop, personally.)

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    As maz- was classy enough to gift me Jagged Alliance 2 earlier and I (too) have an extra copy of Frozen Synapse taking up space in my account, I'm going to return the favor.

But as it's quite early here, and I'm too sleepy to think up anything too clever, I'll just lift someone else's CONTEST format from earlier in the week:

1. Anyone interested in the copy, send me a friend request on Steam. When I wake up in 4 hours (aka 7 PM EST), I'll use random.org to choose who gets the game. If you're already my friend, then send me a PM.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Last Son wrote: »
    Anyone have opinions on the Gothic games? Do the older ones, which seem to have the higher metacritic scores, have issues running on current computers?

Gothic games are great. 1 and 2 are a high point. 3 seems a very YMMV game. 4 sucks. But its a polished kind of suck so I guess if you go in not expecting Fallout 3 level of gold, it might not be terrible. At that price, its hard to say no to the whole set though. If you like those kind of games then there is no real reason to warn you away from any of them. Just know that 4 seems to really lose the general feel of the first 3.

This is pretty accurate. I have the whole set of them, I have enjoyed them all ( though i beat the first two in non steam versions originally.), 4 isn't a bad game really, it just doesn't feel like a game in the Gothic franchise. I had a lot of fun with 1-3 though, they were all good. Honestly I want Risen to go on sale for less, but i'll buy it for $14 its on for right now either way, Risen is the real 4th Gothic game.

Cool, decided to pick up the pack thats just 1, 2, & 3. I figure I can always pick up the 4th during the winter sale if I like them.(If I manage to play all of them, my gamebank has gotten absurdly large from this sale)

Last Son on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Good golly, both GTA games are 30 gigs combined.
    Ugh. Stupid bandwith caps.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    *xbox controller stuff*

I'm pretty sure you need *some* kind of adaptor to get it to work as a PC gamepad. The Play & Charge Kit doesn't work (which is a damn shame and probably a gimmick to get more money out of people like their crazy overpriced hard drives :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How is GTA4s perfomance on the pc after the patches? Do I still need a really really good computer to run it?

Fuga on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    *xbox controller stuff*

The custom xbox 360 controller drivers might work, but as is, the charge n play cable doesn't let you use the 360 controller by default. Only a hard wired 360 controller works. (I spent a good while hunting one down used from gamestop, personally.)

And for the record, the wireless adapter can have issues with certain games. It is probably preferable to pick up a wired controller for the nominal additional cost and not have to deal with the headaches caused by the wireless adapter. Additionally, if you have a PS3 controller and the charge cable, you can set that up to be a USB gamepad with your computer (which is what I do).

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697