Options

[STEAM] Summer Sale is in full swing. Current Contests now featured in OP (λ)

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Sounds like you were using the wireless adapter. Which is so bad they stopped making it. Corded 360 controller tends to just work. At least, I've never had to fidget with it (Except when trying to use the trigger keys on really old games, as they recognize them as hat switches or something.)

Its not absolutely terrible, and they still sell them (which I assume means they still make them.) When it works, its perfect, as I've been using mine for years. The controllers behave no different than a corded, and the controllers can be synced with either the PC or 360 without issue.

The problem is when it doesn't work, and MS support pulls some 90 day warranty exclusion bullshit and won't support their product. [LIST=2]
    [*]Make sure you have the current software, which is the same that is provided for the corded controller (hence the link.)
    [*]If the fuse inside fails, it can soldered over.
    [/LIST]

As an alternative, the PS3 controller can be used with a USB cable and MotionJoy to emulate a 360 controller. Its pretty slick.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Psiberian wrote: »
    *xbox controller stuff*

So mine is technically wireless but it has the usb cable to plug it in/charge it. When I do so the computer sees that it is a wireless xbox controller and the drivers install just fine ( before plugging in and after) but the controller never shows up in control panel or in device manager... /quandary I don't know if that means that i must get the wireless adapter to make it work or if there is some other voodoo i need to do to make it function. any tips appreciated.

The custom xbox 360 controller drivers might work, but as is, the charge n play cable doesn't let you use the 360 controller by default. Only a hard wired 360 controller works. (I spent a good while hunting one down used from gamestop, personally.)

Correct. Play and charge cable is power only, no data is carried on it. It does not make your controller into a wired controller.

captaink on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I keep seeing people with these Eschalon games. are they really that good?

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Good golly, both GTA games are 30 gigs combined.
    Ugh. Stupid bandwith caps.

What's a bandwidth cap? Is that why I never manage more then 300kbs?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I recall Gothic 2 or 3 (whichever one I played) being a pretty cool game if you could tune out the bugs.

But that's just classic JoWood. Shit implementation of pretty fantastic concepts. (Oh, Söldner. The fun we could have had...)

Is Gothic 4:

A) Good
    B) Good for a JoWood game
    C) Irredeemable Shit

?

For anyone who's still on the fence about this, the clear-cut answer is C. Please do not throw away your money on that piece of shit.

Also,
    Don't suppose the OP could stay updated with current running contests from members? I realize it might be challenging, but it would be good to keep people in the loop. By my count we've got two contests running now.

Are you insane? Why would you ask Decoy to do something like that?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Did you like the Ultima games or Nethack?

If yes, then yes.

If no then maybe.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    Don't suppose the OP could stay updated with current running contests from members? I realize it might be challenging, but it would be good to keep people in the loop. By my count we've got two contests running now.

...... O_o

"Challenging" is a bit of an understatement. I'll do my best, but the people who host the contests need to help out and not just assume I'm going to catch their initial post. Hopefully this helps....

If you're going to run a contest, please PM your post to me and I'll quote/spoiler it in the OP.

Please do not assume I saw it and then get upset if it's not there. And please have patience with me and understand if it's not in the OP 5 seconds after you send it.

Same courtesy applies to when the contest is over. Please just shoot me a quick PM with the name of the winner.

Edit: If any contests are still running from the previous thread, please let me know as well. Thanks.

Awesome, thanks. :^:

Ironically, my contest theme also became a latest Cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/article_19281_the-6-most-amazing-military-raids-all-time.html

Which means no cheating with copy-pasting, since I now know about it. :wink:

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I also need to know this

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It could reference either a maximum download speed or a total amount of gigabytes you can download a month. Usually it refers to the latter not the former. I'm lucky that Comcast hasn't taken the "screw your customers" route with their download caps, as mine sits fairly comfortably at 250 GB and I rarely crest 150 GB a month, which makes me a heavy user.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

Some ISPs charge you for downloading more than a certain amount per month.

Don't listen to TripleB. He doesn't like The Witcher so his opinion is null and void.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I also need to know this

They are really good but just be aware, since you build your character completely, there's a very good chance you may build him poorly and end up not being able to advance. It's fun, but pretty unforgiving. It seems a lot like a single player Ultima Online.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Don't listen to TripleB. He doesn't like The Witcher so his opinion is null and void.

While I agree with this sentiment, a broken clock is right twice a day :wink:

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ok so this whole last day of the sale thing is that for items that don't show up during the daily deals? I want to pick up Jamestown and Killingfloor (not sure about the skin package deal) and today would be their best deal?

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Far Cry 2 is a really great FPS/RPG that does an AMAZING job of immersing you in your character's role and has a great interactive environment. You really feel (with all respect to actual Africans) like you have malaria and are sick as fuck in Africa. It's a great game, especially with the buddy system. Imagine this: you take a few too many bullets and you go down. It's curtains, yeah? No, your buddy hears your distress call and comes in, drags you away from the fighting while shooting with their other hand. They help you up, give you some morphine. You pull a slug from your knee and inject yourself. A grenade lands nearby. You have time and escape the blast radius, your buddy, not so lucky. You rush over there to find them wincing in pain. You do your best to patch them up, you give them some morphine, no good. You know nothing's going to work. At this point, they're just asking you to put them out of their misery. You pull out your pistol (All of this is in first person) and look at it, and then at them. No, you think. Too hard. You grab some medical supplies from a nearby building and give them another shot of morphine, causing them to overdose and giving them a painless escape from this world. This is what they were given for saving your ass. You clear out the remaining bad guys who have hunkered down in the various shacks nearby and then hop in a jeep to the nearest safehouse. You really need to make a new friend, now...

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Bandwith cap. I have a limit on the amount of data I am allowed every month before my speed gets limited to 64 kbps. I have 200Gb which normally is okay, but this sale.. Really murdering it.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    And the checkout is still messed up for me. Atleast none of the daily deals are what I'm after, I can wait a little while longer. That said, ticket sent on to support. I don't want a repeat of yesterdays deals.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    *xbox controller stuff*

So mine is technically wireless but it has the usb cable to plug it in/charge it. When I do so the computer sees that it is a wireless xbox controller and the drivers install just fine ( before plugging in and after) but the controller never shows up in control panel or in device manager... /quandary I don't know if that means that i must get the wireless adapter to make it work or if there is some other voodoo i need to do to make it function. any tips appreciated.

The custom xbox 360 controller drivers might work, but as is, the charge n play cable doesn't let you use the 360 controller by default. Only a hard wired 360 controller works. (I spent a good while hunting one down used from gamestop, personally.)

And for the record, the wireless adapter can have issues with certain games. It is probably preferable to pick up a wired controller for the nominal additional cost and not have to deal with the headaches caused by the wireless adapter. Additionally, if you have a PS3 controller and the charge cable, you can set that up to be a USB gamepad with your computer (which is what I do).

thanks for the info everyone! /Dislike MS

Dr.Arch excellent suggestion for the ps3 controller thank you.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Aaaaaaaaaah

the m&b sale earlier made me notice i did buy warband earlier

now i can't stop playing it

Zandracon on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Far Cry 2 is the only game I've ever seen where you can set a brush fire and watch it burn through a field of grass, trapping and even engulfing enemies who fail to realize the coming doom. Whatever gameplay missteps it may have made, every gamer needs to experience that at least once.

EDIT: And fuck you Sims 3 for being a daily deal, but being the exact same (insanely high) price as you've been for the entirety of the sale.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    *xbox controller stuff*

And for the record, the wireless adapter can have issues with certain games. It is probably preferable to pick up a wired controller for the nominal additional cost and not have to deal with the headaches caused by the wireless adapter. Additionally, if you have a PS3 controller and the charge cable, you can set that up to be a USB gamepad with your computer (which is what I do).

thanks for the info everyone! /Dislike MS

Dr.Arch excellent suggestion for the ps3 controller thank you.

Could I get the link again to the directions for attaching a PS3 controller to Windows 7?

Also, once I do that, would it conflict with a 360 controller that's also paired to the PC (as in, I can't have both running at once)? Does this also de-sync the PS3 controller from my PS3, and if so is it easy enough to instantly pair it between my PS3 and PC?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    New thread already?

SLOW DOWN

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    mwoody wrote: »
    Far Cry 2 is the only game I've ever seen where you can set a brush fire and watch it burn through a field of grass, trapping and even engulfing enemies who fail to realize the coming doom. Whatever gameplay missteps it may have made, every gamer needs to experience that at least once.

I heard a story once about starting the game, starting a fire, leaving for the day, and then coming back to a completed game because the whole island had caught fire thus killing your target.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    you know I'd really like to post here

but the server is too busy so

i'm just going to go beat the shit out of some criminals and maybe hang them upside down with my grappling hook

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Odd, my steam client isn't showing my tickets or achievements on the DLC page anymore.

But I know I have them.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Did anyone else notice that there was an achievement for putting a video on Steam earlier? I wonder why they removed that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    It's around this time during a sale when people are less shy about flat out asking people to give them games for free. Come on guys, more class.

I have to confess that I'm somewhat guilty of this. I never flat out asked people to gift me, but I did strongly hint at times about how I particularly wanted a game in the hopes someone would get the message. I tried to alleviate my guilt by gifting my own here and there, but the ratio of receiving to giving isn't even close.

So I made a vow to only express my interest in a game without overemphasizing it.

Wait...wait...wait.

Does this mean you "mind raped" me?

-runs off to the shower-
    -scrubs-

I CAN'T GET CLEAN.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rubycat wrote: »
    Ok so this whole last day of the sale thing is that for items that don't show up during the daily deals? I want to pick up Jamestown and Killingfloor (not sure about the skin package deal) and today would be their best deal?

Correct. If it's on a daily deal, that's the best it'll be for this particular sale. The "wait until the last day" plan is to avoid doing something like buying a game at 50% off only for it to get a 75% off deal two days later.

If it's a daily and you want it, that's the time to buy it.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

I heard a story once about starting the game, starting a fire, leaving for the day, and then coming back to a completed game because the whole island had caught fire thus killing your target.

yeeeaaah........ Just no. That doesn't happen. It'll spread but not the entiregame world. And it will kill you too if you get caught up in it. I love the game so much though. I gotta gift it out to someone.

Haven't bought anything in two days, it feels wrong :lol:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    thanks for the reply, this thread has been moving pretty fast

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Could I get the link again to the directions for attaching a PS3 controller to Windows 7?

Also, once I do that, would it conflict with a 360 controller that's also paired to the PC (as in, I can't have both running at once)? Does this also de-sync the PS3 controller from my PS3, and if so is it easy enough to instantly pair it between my PS3 and PC?

PS3 controller on PC

You pretty much have to leave it plugged in to the USB port all the time once you set it up, though. I dont recally exactly how it screwed the pooch whenever Maddoc unplugged it, but he pretty much stopped trying after the first few times. Seems to work well. It unsyncs, but its easy to resync.

As for having both? I dunno, I think it'd clash, but I cant say I've tried.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice that there was an achievement for putting a video on Steam earlier? I wonder why they removed that.

Probably because the only consistent way to get a video to upload through Steam is to do it through TF2. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring the achievement back specifically for making a video in TF2.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hmmm, looking at King's Bounty, Far Cry 2 and Atom Zombie Smasher.

Time for some demos.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Morrandir wrote: »
    Rubycat wrote: »

Correct. If it's on a daily deal, that's the best it'll be for this particular sale. The "wait until the last day" plan is to avoid doing something like buying a game at 50% off only for it to get a 75% off deal two days later.

If it's a daily and you want it, that's the time to buy it.

The skins are absolutely unnecessary. They seem to be regarded more as a means of supporting the dev, since they add no function to the game. Also, one skin pack is redeemable for tickets, so no sense paying for it.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »

yeeeaaah........ Just no. That doesn't happen. It'll spread but not the entiregame world. And it will kill you too if you get caught up in it. I love the game so much though. I gotta gift it out to someone.

Yeah, it always sounded like a glitch or something early that was patched out, to me.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    VicWhiten wrote: »
    So I started my Steam Roulette web app last night, I've only really set up the layout at this point and populated your game list, but here's what I have: http://steam-roulette.heroku.com

Nice progress to begin with. Question for you, since seeing that brings to mind something I *Wish* Steam would implement. What are you using to code that page? I may give it a try myself to make a basic "What games do I have in common with this Friend" application.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    EDIT: And fuck you Sims 3 for being a daily deal, but being the exact same (insanely high) price as you've been for the entirety of the sale.

Leave out the stuff packs and just get 2 of the expansions and the whole thing becomes MUCH more doable.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    big l wrote: »
    Basically if you like Stalker, give Far Cry 2 a shot.

You shoot people with guns in both games, but apart from that, I don't see much of a connection.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

I also need to know this

They are really good but just be aware, since you build your character completely, there's a very good chance you may build him poorly and end up not being able to advance. It's fun, but pretty unforgiving. It seems a lot like a single player Ultima Online.

Yeah, it's got a real Ultima/Fallout kind of vibe. The world will kick you in the balls and laugh at you. In the starting area. Then do a little dance and kick you in the teeth while you are laying on the ground, curled up and moaning. Currently my character is trapped in a beginner dungeon. He's running out of torches. He caught some kinda funk disease from looting a skeleton so he don't feel none too good right now. He's out of healing potions. He's currently planning on trying to rest up enough so he can claw his way back to the surface and sneak back to town, objective unattained. Maybe he can get some help with his disease but really, people don't seem to give a shit one way or the other about him. Then, if I can get healthy, rearm and maybe equip something decent by selling some of the stuff I've found, I'll go back and see if I can get what I went down for in the first place. Let me reiterate; This is the area you start out in. No tutorial, just a swift kick in the balls. I'm really enjoying it, but then I'm a masochist. If this kind of stat driven, turn based, isometric blanket party sounds like your kind of thing, you'll probably have a blast too.

Drake on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Damn you, Newell.

Jamestown, King's Bounty and the L4D games, and I had to resist FC2 to keep my daily hurt under 20 bucks.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drake wrote: »

I also need to know this

Yeah, it's got a real Ultima/Fallout kind of vibe. The world will kick you in the balls and laugh at you. In the starting area. Then do a little dance and kick you in the teeth while you are laying on the ground, curled up and moaning. Currently my character is trapped in a beginner dungeon. He's running out of torches. He caught some kinda funk disease from looting a skeleton so he don't feel none too good right now. He's out of healing potions. He's currently planning on trying to rest up enough so he can claw his way back to the surface and sneak back to town, objective unattained. Maybe he can get some help with his disease but really, people don't seem to give a shit one way or the other about him. Then, if I can get healthy, rearm and maybe equip something decent by selling some of the stuff I've found, I'll go back and see if I can get what I went down for in the first place. Let me reiterate; This is the area you start out in. No tutorial, just a swift kick in the balls. I'm really enjoying it, but then I'm a masochist. If this kind of stat driven, turn based, isometric blanket party sounds like your kind of thing, you'll probably have a blast too.

oh curse you sir, now i want this game lol if i were to only grab one which would you suggest?

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png