Options

Official Civil War Thread Version 3.0

• Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Galactus is just a big cloud of cosmic energy.....right? Did no one think of just making a giant battery, sucking him inside, keeping him in stasis so he expends as little energy as possible. Then finding a power source that can be channeled in the battery that will keep him alive? I realize that's boring.....but.....Science.

In the recent FF arc where Galactus was temporarily turned back into "Galen", Reed was trying to find a solution involving a dimension composed entirely of energy for the Big G to eat, but I think the end result was "nice idea, but too dangerous to attempt". I just loved the way they showed Galen constantly eating junk food etc, old habits die hard :)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Galactus is just a big cloud of cosmic energy.....right? Did no one think of just making a giant battery, sucking him inside keeping him in stasis so he expends as little energy as possibly, and then finding a power source that can be channeled in the battery that will keep him alive? I realize that's boring.....but.....Science.

Um, that's basically what Annihilus was doing (although he was diverting the energy to himself, not for a good purpose) in the Annihilation Event.

I don't have a good answer why Reed couldn't do that, but I suspect that's because editorial hasn't thought of it as a consequence of Annihilation.

Well, it helped to have him be rendered unconscious (or whatever passes for it) by Tenebrous and Aegis.

Of course, those two critters are no longer in existence...

mattharvest on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Revenge. It is a bitch.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Iron Man was right.

Iron Man was right about what, exactly?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Iron Man was right.

Everything?

/I kid, I kid.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Iron Man was right.

Might makes right.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Iron Man was right.

Might makes right.

If right means getting pummeled into a building down its 100+ floors by The Hulk, having everyone in the Marvel MU hate you, and still have a war with Atlantis and a pissed-off Namor coming after you, heck, Iron Man was sure right.

JCM on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    JCM wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Iron Man was right.

Might makes right.

If right means getting pummeled into a building down its 100+ floors by The Hulk, having everyone in the Marvel MU hate you, and still have a war with Atlantis and a pissed-off Namor coming after you, heck, Iron Man was sure right.

Yeah I know. Namor could give a shit what happens in the world, and he saw fit to get involved.

I never really had an opinion about Iron Man before this, but I fucking hate him now. I really wish that Cap would've finished the job before he surrendered.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    He would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky heroes of 9/11.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    He would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky heroes of 9/11.

Mark Millar has such a cruel sense of humor.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Yeah, their whole "we respect the rule of law, and not being killed by collateral damage" bit was so troublesome for Cap. It's sad, really.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Yeah, their whole "we respect the rule of law, and not being killed by collateral damage" bit was so troublesome for Cap. It's sad, really.

Seriously, you can't rationalize Cap being tackled by the cast of a Public Service Announcement... seriously, a fireman, a medic, a cop... I was looking for the biker and the indian like it was a fucking magic eye picture.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

Seriously, you can't rationalize Cap being tackled by the cast of a Public Service Announcement... seriously, a fireman, a medic, a cop... I was looking for the biker and the indian like it was a fucking magic eye picture.
    So I wasn't the only one looking? Good to hear that..

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Aye. I flipped through Ultimates this weekend, and looking back at just what kind of damage Cap did to Iron Man during CW, and... how the hell did a couple of non-powered humans touch a Millar-written Cap, let alone bring him down?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    because they respected the law, see

it made them immune to cap's abilities

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought he was just so shocked by the absurdity of it all that he gave up in disgust.

I think he was positive it was part of Stark's propaganda set-up, or that he was being mugged by the attendees at a Stripper's United convention...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    CharcoalNinjaCharcoalNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aye. I flipped through Ultimates this weekend, and looking back at just what kind of damage Cap did to Iron Man during CW, and... how the hell did a couple of non-powered humans touch a Millar-written Cap, let alone bring him down?

Well they don't actually bring him down, they just stop him from killing Stark long enough for him to look up at how trashed the city was, Cap wasn't exactly too interested in beating the crap out of civies.

And I'm pretty sure that Cap wasn't actually taken off his feet during that whole "civil servants tackle" bit.

CharcoalNinja on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Well they don't actually bring him down, they just stop him from killing Stark long enough for him to look up at how trashed the city was, Cap wasn't exactly too interested in beating the crap out of civies.

And I'm pretty sure that Cap wasn't actually taken off his feet during that whole "civil servants tackle" bit.

The funny thing is that none of the Secret Avengers had the fire power to cause most of the collateral damage that was slowly destroying the city. All the super-strong Superman analogues were on the other side, so it was undoubtedly their mistakes that were destroying cars and bringing down the buildings.

Not to mention the fact that the Secret Avengers weren't even there to fight, but rather to stage a prison break and escape. If Tony had decided it wasn't worth battling them in a crowded environment and simply let them run away, nobody would have died.

Thank you, super-responsible Registration Heroes.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

The funny thing is that none of the Secret Avengers had the fire power to cause most of the collateral damage that was slowly destroying the city. All the super-strong Superman analogues were on the other side, so it was undoubtedly their mistakes that were destroying cars and bringing down the buildings.

Not to mention the fact that the Secret Avengers weren't even there to fight, but rather to stage a prison break and escape. If Tony had decided it wasn't worth battling them in a crowded environment and simply let them run away, nobody would have died.

I would've liked Cap to bring that up.
    "Yeah, Tony. It was Spider-man who smashed the building. Not the Sentry. Not YOU. Not Hitler-Thor. It was either the Human Torch who can't really smash a building, especially not if it's built with fireproof materials, and the new Hawkeye that did it.

Douche."

And then he walks off, grumbling about 'fucking kids' or something. And punches Sally Floyd in the face before she can say anything.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, but they also won. So guess who gets blamed.

I'd make a political analogy, but I'm not stupid enough to bring that stuff up here.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My favorite scene in Civil War is Hercules trashing Clor.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I liked the bit where Danny gave Tony the piece of silver.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I liked the bit where Danny gave Tony the piece of silver.

I love how he'd been carrying those coins around throughout the entire series just to deliver that one line.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's a little thing called showmanship.

learn from it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    My favourite page is the one where Captain America is smacking the shit out of Iron Man.

Of course, next page it's the revenge of the Village People, but still, for a moment I thought the good guys were going to win and Reed and Tony were going to their Negative Zone prison.

natxcross on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

This is silly. They broke INTO a secure prison, with the intent to break out inmates. To say they didn't want to fight and Tony should just have let them walk away after a PRISON BREAK is just mind numbing. If you say they didn't want to fight, then the secret avengers should have all stopped and given up right there.

"Hey warden, we are here to illegally break out all inmates in this prison, which the current laws have detained. oh, but we don't want to fight. "
    "Oh tiddly dee! I guess you guys better finish up your illegal activities and covert operation on our government facility and then be off on your marry little way."
    "Thanks! your super keen!"

20070620ironmanep6.png

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DraXXXen wrote: »

This is silly. They broke INTO a secure prison, with the intent to break out inmates. To say they didn't want to fight and Tony should just have let them walk away after a PRISON BREAK is just mind numbing. If you say they didn't want to fight, then the secret avengers should have all stopped and given up right there.

You know, when chasing after real criminals, the police tend not to go after them with a 'whatever the cost' mentality. That's because, y'know, the ends don't always justify the means. Also, during real prison breaks, the guards and police tend not to recruit other criminals to capture the escapees.

And that comic is stupid.

natxcross on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    To reply to the comic, "Hulk should´ve been sent to space BS", from another forum, apologies for the repost of the Cho pages, but it kills 2 birds with one stone (Iron man and Reed´s arguements)-
    JCM wrote:
    What a load of BS.

The artist should read more comics before making laughable comments on "Hulk should be sent to space!!"
    Here´s Cho tearing down the "Hulk had to be sent to space" arguement-

032sh6.jpg

incrediblehulk100033or2.jpg

034sp2.jpg

035036mo0.jpg

The Las Vegas incident? Didnt SHIELD lie and use the Hulk as a guine pig
    intelligent Hulk to disactivate a gamma bomb they were too scared to
    disactivate themselves, which exploded and caused the Hulk to return to his
    savage form?

Then the Thing and Human torch decided to have a go at savage Hulk,
    who wanted to be "just alone", while laughing at people putting bets on
    who would win?

So the Hulk destroys property because
    a)SHIELD tricked him into messing around with radiation and
    b)The thing felt like beating him up.

Fucking self-rihghteous killers and bastards.

EVERYTIME he hulk rampaged, it was because some "hero" or "soldier"
    attacked him, tested him in a lab or cut him up in the name of science.

And now, may I add-
    -Iron Man making concentration camps?
    -Making 4 billion from said construction, as a no-bid contractor?
    -Iron Man killing a "Stanford´s worth" of people, as his government aide
    called it, while drunk, then covering it up?
    -Or him lying to Hawkeye to get him to become the next Cap America?
    -Or even better, Iron man mindwiping the ENTIRE WORLD of the
    knowledge that he is iron Man?

But hey, people still admire fascists and terrorists, so of course iron Man
    will have some fans, as well as Mr Fantastic.

I will enjoy seeing Namor and Hulk beat both up, maybe we´ll get to see Namor banging Mrs fantantic yet again, for added humiliation. :wink:

JCM on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, except it's complete bullshit. It's supposed to be a child's view of things.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I see. Spider-Man was just asking for it when he stopped Doc Ock robbing a bank. Oh Spider-Man, when will you learn?

Bogart on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Spidey never learns. That's why they have to kill everyone he knows and loves.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, except it's complete bullshit. It's supposed to be a child's view of things.

Yeah, a child who states the truth, and is smarted than Reed "namor banged my wife" Richards.

Care to prove him wrong? Or any of my points listed? Thought so.
    Bogart wrote: »
    I see. Spider-Man was just asking for it when he stopped Doc Ock robbing a bank. Oh Spider-Man, when will you learn?
    Time to put him in the concentration camp... if it overcrowds? Tony can always extend it and make another 4 billion off the blood of other heroes.

JCM on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Spidey never learns. That's why they have to kill everyone he knows and loves.

That'll teach the little whiner to have a high-profile persona. That'll teach him good.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The actions of the Secret Avengers when they both broke into the Negative Zone prison and freed all their friends from Super-Gitmo were excused by Stark himself when he granted everyone involved a pardon.

And personally, when it comes to imprisoning American citizens without due process or any hope for legal recourse, and for crimes that range from stopping a rapist to simply standing around in a costume, I think Americans as a whole have every right to exercise the abilities owed to them as citizens and tear down an unjust institution. God knows I'd blow open the walls of a penitentiary if I knew it was holding nothing but good men and women who, given the current circumstances, stood to rot inside forever without so much as a trial or even a phone call to their loved ones to explain why they haven't been home in days.

And yeah, you say the Secret Avengers should have surrendered, but can you honestly see yourself surrendering to a person like Venom? How about surrendering, knowing there would be no trial?

Not to mention the fact that the Registered Heroes had set themselves up as the responsible ones. They were supposed to be the heroes who cared about civilians, and collateral damage. But when it comes to actually justifying the description, it's somehow the responsibility of the Secret Avengers to surrender to the people bringing buildings down all around them, and not the job of the Registered Heroes to do everything in their power to protect the people around them even though that is exactly what their job is.

Only the Registered Heroes had the power to offer a non-violent end to the conflict, which they did at the end by granting everyone amnesty. Unfortunately, even though the ability to grant such a pardon was always in Stark's hands and was always the trump card that could deflate hostilities all around and cripple the Secret Avengers without raising even a hand, he waited until thousands were dead to do it. Why?

He must have wanted to fight.
    DraXXXen wrote: »

"Hey warden, we are here to illegally break out all inmates in this prison, which the current laws have detained. oh, but we don't want to fight. "
    "Oh tiddly dee! I guess you guys better finish up your illegal activities and covert operation on our government facility and then be off on your marry little way."
    "Thanks! your super keen!"

20070620ironmanep6.png

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Yeah, a child who states the truth, and is smarted than Reed "namor banged my wife" Richards.

Care to prove him wrong? Or any of my points listed? Thought so.
    I don't really have that kind of time, sorry. You need to have actually read the books.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I need to have actually read the books.

Corrected that for you.

I read every Civil War tie-in, every lead up to Planet Hulk and Planet Hulk. Plus most of the lead-ups top WWH. Used to follow FF, and have the essential Iron Man.

And as I said, no pro-Iron Man/Reed has been able to debate any of these in all forums I´m in, they just make some insult and run off instead of answering, why Iron Man who killed people when drunk isnt in space, or why reed, who killed billions because he couldnt watch another man die and saved Galactus, isnt also in space. Why isnt his son in space too?

But hey, Mein kempf still sells well, and in palestine people say that Jewish concentration camps are good, so Iron Man´s methods probably does have its fans

JCM on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    But hey, Mein kempf still sells well, and in palestine people say that Jewish concentration camps are good, so Iron Man´s methods probably does have its fans

ffs don't Godwin up the thread.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Heh, Technicality wins take much less effort. Also, dude it's a comic book. Chill the fuck out.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Also, just stop talking. Hell I even agree with you on iron-man, and it makes me feel dirty by association.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When did Iron Man kill people while drunk?

Mai-Kero on