As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Zomboid

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote:
    On top of all that, taking people's money for a product that was never delivered opens the doorway for criminal charges.

Actually you were never buying Project Zomboid. You paid for one of their other (complete) games, and got access to zomboid and it's updates.

That was only being done months ago, more recently you could just buy it without the roundabout way. That said i am pretty sure the devs had a clause that you were buying what was currently the game and that you would get any future updates for free.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote:
    On top of all that, taking people's money for a product that was never delivered opens the doorway for criminal charges.

Actually you were never buying Project Zomboid. You paid for one of their other (complete) games, and got access to zomboid and it's updates.

Then they should be OK. I don't have any desire to see these guys fail or be prosecuted, but one bad lawsuit could ruin these guys forever. I'd hate to see that because Project Zomboid was definitely a move towards something more interesting and les conventional.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Well, some best wishes came true:

"The good news, a rare event in this sorry saga, is that our last online back-up wasn’t *quite* as long ago as we had first feared." -Project Zomboid
    http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2011/10/i-miss-the-days-when-we-didnt-take-a-hammer-to-bed/

So, my take away from this is they are human and panicked - anyone who has played the alpha knows exactly what I am talking about in this next part - these sort of things may actually inspire them to make one holy hell of an awesome zombie game.

Are we still sure games aren't art? These IndieStone guys sure seem to be living like artists :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    im playing the demo, but im not really understanding the crafting. what do you mean booze+rag doesnt equal molotov?

Also, i find food, but the wife wont eat it or something. i cant ever get past that, so i smothered her and ran around town till i died of bleeding. (even though i bandaged?)

Seems like it could be fun if there were craft books or recipes to find. y'know, and weapons besides a hammer.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The wife doesn't need to eat. RUnning around while you are wounded can re-open wounds so you bleed again. There's plenty of weapons besided the hammer.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Putting one's project backup data on a second laptop in the same room is an awesome idea that I will be certain to emulate in the future.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Well I mean, nobody expects their shit to get stolen until it happens. All my backups are in the same room. Hopefully nobody comes in and steals my computer and all my thumb drives.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    So...Apparently they survived the loss and are currently "Feature Complete". Tried it out and the game feels much cleaner than it did months ago. Just an FYI I suppose.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    I was just thinking about this game the other day, wondering what had came of it. Good to know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    You can pick it up through Desura's Alpha Funding section now too. No more "Buy this thing so you can have the thing you want" rigamarole.

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    I was looking at this game, and I have one question:

What is wrong with Desura?

I ask, because GoG.com and Steam have their own threads on this forum, but Desura apparently doesn't.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Just not as much interest I guess? Gog and steam offer somewhat different services, and desura is more like steam. Most people go with steam on PA. You could try making a thread for desura.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    eobet wrote: »
    I was looking at this game, and I have one question:

What is wrong with Desura?

I ask, because GoG.com and Steam have their own threads on this forum, but Desura apparently doesn't.

Well, GoG is kinda a unique beast. As for other Steam like services, Steam is just the biggest by numbers. The Steam thread tends to branch out into other DD services as well.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well... being big or not usually doesn't seem to matter here on PA... the only thing which most often does make something warrant not having its own thread is that it sucks.

That's why I asked...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm glad these guys survived that theft. I'll definitely be picking this up soon.

I was outraged by the community surrounding this story when it came to light. I couldn't believe the hate that was being directed towards these guys in their hour of need. Were I them, I probably wouldn't want to finish the game anymore because my fans are a bunch of assholes. Glad to see they're truly devoted to the project.

Anybody who's lost data should empathize with these guys, you can't predict someone breaking into your house and stealing everything you own.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    A lot of Desura is mostly Indie game and mods as far as I can tell, so ... maybe that has something to do with it? Do Indie games and mods (in general) have their own threads? I only ask because most of the time, I rarely look past the first page, so usually its a whole bunch of threads on whatever is the most popular lately. Then if I see it, I bookmark it, because there is not much guarantee I would be able to find the thread again otherwise - if I forget to bookmark it... *shrugs* That said though, I have had a really good set of experiences with Desura, it would deserve its own thread, it does have some unique sales, as well as games that I have never noticed featured on Steam, and I don't think you can find a better place for alphafunding, Steam doesn't support that yet - Steam only really overlaps Desura with a few "finished" Indie games and maybe free games? Steam still has the more robust communities and friend's list but I am finding the review and preview video areas of Desura to be much better, even if the 1-10 rating system is very arbitrary from one player to another, voting other reviews helpful or not up and down seems to have kept the system somewhat less abused by flooding it with 8-10s but no reviews to inflate a crap game's score if you take the time to actually read the reviews and some are really well written and way more honest than the Devs may appreciate. You know what, maybe in that respect Steam is better by not having the 1-10 or 1-100 rating, but I think it suffers for not having "vote helpful or not" on reviews.

I'm looking forward the next update on Project Zomboid, have my fellow PAers seen the videos they have been putting out of carpentry, moving furniture, zombies getting in through level one windows, climbing out of windows using rope/sheets, new ways for the simulation of how the zombie hordes come about, etc. I think they are all on one of the Dev's youtube channel, Lemmy, IIRC:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lemmy103?feature=watch

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just bought the game today, but I'm a bit confused. The copy linked to download on their main page isn't their most updated version? I hear about all this new stuff that's in but I can't do that in game. I did find that they're up to version 2e now, and i have version 1.5 from the main site. I'm downloading 2e now but am I missing something about how they release their builds?

Edit:
    I can't actually get the new build to play, anyone know what?

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So they have a new full update for the next update coming out soon. A beta of it is already out on the forums.

The full update adds some amazing stuff, like intelligent NPC's that will group up and actually barricade and hunt on their own. Also, you can form your own team of intelligent survivors. The video on youtube shows them barricading a house, and when a horde finds them (One AI forgot to turn a light off at one point, more on that later.) two of them lure half of the horde away so the rest can escape, then rejoin later. Also psychopaths.

The beta is already out. Missing a few AI functions, but it's pretty good. There's a shit-ton of new content. Including the ability to build in the gameworld minecraft style, lumberjacking, a vastly expanded map, increased zombie AI and placement, a ton of new items and craftables, and more.

Also, there's a new lighting system, and every building has power now. You can flip a light-switch to get a better idea of what's what in the room. The catch is the new area of the map is lots of glass walled offices, which is a bit like, if you turn the light on at night, a bit like rolling out an all you can eat buffet sign to nearby zombies.

Also, the new lighting system is brutal. You can craft stuff like candles and stuff to hold in your offhand now, but mostly you'll have to choose between going in the dark or not. It's pretty hilarious, too.

Just got done with a fairly involved game. The game itself has vastly expanded already, and this isn't even the full release.

My last game started with me in an office building in the new part of town. I walked into an office in the building and got an actual scare (Along with the people watching me play the semi-private alpha.). Saw an office desk, looted it, turned around, and thanks to the lighting system a zombie was right in my goddamn face. Cue a scare chord, my character going from stable to "holy shit panic like hell", and me getting a second moodle that jumped me straight up to anxious.

Then I made so much noise stabbing it to death with a pen (Yes, a pen. Seriously. It's a new weapon, and can be used to craft journals and other written stuff, which reduce boredom, another group of moodles that link to depression modeling.) that the horde I had been trying to sneak past outside all started banging on the first floor glass windows which made up the entire building..

Cue two dozen thump sounds as they pounded at it, followed by the sound of lots of glass breaking, followed by the sound of them slowly demolishing the first floor (They knew someone was inside, they just didn't know where.) as the horde sniffed around it and spread out.

I managed to find a fire axe in the bosses desk (Lord only knows what the hell he had that for.), and proceeded to try and find a way out. Turned a corner after going downstairs, opened a door that lead to a glass wall looking outside (You can now open and move through windows, and break anything made of glass down, along with doors.), and found it had been demolished by the horde, and there were about two dozen zombies there milling around. Cue them doing the Metal Gear Solid ! thing and bee-lining to me, as I slammed the door in their face and sprinted back upstairs.

Then I encountered two more zombies, killed them as I threw the ones on the first floor off my scent. Then as I was stumbling around in the dark I accidentally fell down a flight of stairs and almost broke both my legs. So I limped back up to the break room of the office, ate some food, and then cleared out an area with a few seats to sleep in, chancing it. When I woke up it was dark again, and the zombies were still downstairs. So I figured they had moved so I could get away. Turned a corner, and a random zombie had somehow found its way upstairs. Character panicked, I gave the guy the axe to the skull, then went downstairs. Left the way I wanted to leave before, and realized the reason why the zombies seemed to never leave was because I was dead set in the middle of a horde of about 200 of them that had grouped together, Dead Rising style, to overrun the neighborhood.

Going off of the sounds of gunfire, that quickly fell silent as I literally sprinted through the horde, I wasn't the only one in a bad way. By the time I got away from them by running back to the old portion of the map and slamming a door in their face, then climbing out a window, my character was so nerve-wracked that he was liable to suddenly try and murder NPC's for a day afterwards.

Ended up heading to the new suburbs. Which is fancy houses with drive-ways and such. Really nice looking place. Has a gated community look to it. Proceeded to use the new carpentry skill to wall off all but one entrance to the neighborhood by pretty much obliterating every door I didn't need, and then going on a lumberjacking spree, then set up camp in a house I boarded up. Outside of a few zombies that had spawned in houses, the place was undead-less.

Along the way I found two corpses of other survivors who had died. One had a shotgun and 40 shells on him. After looting both of them, they promptly re-animated (?!) a short time later and came after me. I quietly put them down, and then proceeded to make myself a ton of food to refrigerate, which is where I quit at.

Using one of the debug functions, I checked out how many survivors were left on the map before I quit. The two dead guys I assume were people who were stuck in the horde I met at the start of the game. It seems these two were the survivors of a group that cut their way out of the swarm with gunfire before later falling prey to their injuries. The AI apparently had the same idea I had, to fortify the already isolated neighborhood.

Unfortunately, it appears the survivors weren't as nimble as I was, and bled out before they could get inside a building and attend to their wounds. One guy was dead a bit outside the neighborhood itself, out on the grass. And the other had died in the garage just before going into a house that would have given him bandages. I guess I stumbled across them before they could re-animate.

There were only 3 survivors left at the end aside from me. One, Aaron Cook, I tried to recruit. He said that yeah, he'd follow me around until he felt it would be fun to shoot me in the back. When I checked his inventory, he had a shotgun, but no shells. The other two I had seen rummaging around in the grocery store before, but hadn't had the time to talk to them, since I had heard gunfire and figured the horde was about to come after me. I guess that was Aaron Cook being an asshole to someone.

Apparently there's huge portions of the new map that I haven't explored yet. A poster on the forums claims there's an entire forest to explore now, for instance. And from the looks of it, I only had a small chance to explore some of the new buildings before I was run off by a horde.

Archonex on
  • Options
    How do I get this prototype version?

• Options
    Morblitz wrote: »
    How do I get this prototype version?

Check the announcements section on their forums. Keep in mind it's pretty rough. So if you're wanting the complete or a smooth experience, I recommend waiting until the full release.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Is that the 0.2e version or whatever that's stickied up there? I downloaded that but I can't get it to open the game when I click on what batch file I want - medium HD etc.

So am I better of playing the build that's listed on the main download page of their website until the full release? Also do you have an idea of when that might be? I heard they were getting close.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    Is that the 0.2e version or whatever that's stickied up there? I downloaded that but I can't get it to open the game when I click on what batch file I want - medium HD etc.

So am I better of playing the build that's listed on the main download page of their website until the full release? Also do you have an idea of when that might be? I heard they were getting close.

Check the stickied topic on the forums. If you're running on Windows 7 you might need to download the latest update for Java, and do some other things.

And it's a matter of what you want out of the game. I thought it was worth it. The public version is kind of bland at the moment compared to it.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Man that update sounds amazing. Need to toss these guys some money shortly.

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    Public version is very bland. But I love it... cook some soup, hear the radio turn on, run upstairs and listen, realize the house is on fire, run downstairs and check that I can do nothing, run back upstairs but the fire has spread really fast, find my wife on fire from the flames below, attempt to smother her with the pillow to end her suffering but catch fire myself. We die in each others' arms.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Archonex wrote: »

Check the stickied topic on the forums. If you're running on Windows 7 you might need to download the latest update for Java, and do some other things.

And it's a matter of what you want out of the game. I thought it was worth it. The public version is kind of bland at the moment compared to it.

I grabbed the one that's stickied, and I don't have windows 7, just xp. I can't get it to work, it just brings up the game window and then kind of freaks out on me. I've tried to do the fixes on the forum and it hasn't done anything to help. I have to stop trying to fix the game because I'm neglecting my uni work over it.

Damn.
    Anyone know if the full builds going to be properly released soon?

• Options
    Cue a scare chord

Is that just your description or does it actually happen? (God, I hope not...)

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd never heard of this, but 5 minutes in the demo was enough to send me looking for my credit card.

I only played a bit of the first scenario, but couldn't figure out a way to save. Can you save, or can you only play until you die/quit?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Cue a scare chord

Yes this actually happens and no, its not as bad as you are making it out to be. And its something that happens in the current public build already when a survivor gets a panicked state, a little panicked face icon pops up too. Its like The Sims but way more fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Cue a scare chord

Yes this actually happens and no, its not as bad as you are making it out to be. And its something that happens in the current public build already when a survivor gets a panicked state, a little panicked face icon pops up too. Its like The Sims but way more fun.

Catch is, in the new version, it really is bad. The lighting in low light areas has been revised so that light is a thing that exists. You can see maybe a tile ahead of you at the worst of times, and not even that, really.

So you'll be wandering around a burnt out old building, closing doors, opening them. Then all of a sudden you'll walk past the door frame, and BAM, scare chord and a zombie trying to go for your jugular.

The new lighting system is good for setting up stuff like that. Caught me off guard the first time I went into it, after playing the public beta.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Darkness being more of an obstacle as a gameplay thing is not something I have a big problem with after playing something like No More Room In Hell. If done right, it can heighten the tension amazingly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Alright you sons of bitches

Now we wait

zomb.png
    (i have all the containers in this place filled with food)

The ate Kate, I let them eat her so I could flee. I'm hoping at some point if you keep waiting the army nukes the town or something

override367 on
  • Options
    Hahaha, you are going to go insane or something :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahaha, you are going to go insane or something :D

In the new version, that can actually happen.

Just shacking up somewhere with a ton of food, a ton of guns, and a ton of traps surrounding the area gradually makes your character get more and more bored, and then depressed.

Eventually, going off of the moodles, if you don't rectify this with drugs or boredom reducing options (early on) you go into full blown "crazy" mode.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Hooray for pills and booze!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I realized I didn't have as much food as I thought so I carved through my barricades and was greeted with what must have been the entire zombified population of north america immediately on the other side of them (after a full ingame day to get through them)

Doh!

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Man I was playing this back in the beta like 8 months ago, I remember holing up in the multi-story apartment building with every single resource on the map. I think I made it like... 2-3 months? Then I just couldn't take the monotony of just keeping my character alive so went out smoking bitches with the shotgun.

This new version sounds like the fucking tits and I'm totally going to throw more money at them for making something so fucking cool. Also, the graphics are fucking awesome and I'm so glad they're less worried about graphics and more worried about content. I love the old 16 bit graphics.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Here's a screen from the new version, with the lighting and all that. Also, new gore/blood splatter mechanics.

gore.png

Also, here's some videos of the new NPC AI from a month or so back. Really should watch this even if you aren't interested in the game. They're smart for NPCs. Skip to 1:52 for them starting to hand out orders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rk0Va2b3A

Archonex on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Unrelated, but when I went on to fileplanet to download the demo, noticed 2 of the top 10 'hottest files' were nude mods for Skyrim.

I'm not surprised, but still.. D:

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    So how does the paid version differ from the demo?

• Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    So how does the paid version differ from the demo?

A ton more features.

Gives you access to a much more filled out "public" version. And you can download alpha versions off of their forums, which is where all the really cool shit is at the moment.