Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So...Drell Adept is pretty good...

Drell Vanguard I'm still iffy on.

I must be doing it wrong, because good god I die a lot.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The reapers win in every single ending.

The reapers tell shepard "these are the options I'm giving you, pick one" and Shep picks one.

There is no ending in which you get to defy the reapers

This is dumb.
    You get to kill them all. Derp derp.

• Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    I don't see why it would compromise other storytelling.
    I honestly don't know if it can be made more clear.

It completely changes the foundations of live in the universe, and toasters are now alive. To do any future content where that ending is canon, absolutely everything about life in the universe would need to be changed to accommodate, unless they're just going to put circuits on everyone and pretend life is exactly the same, which makes the ending even more stupid.
    So ... do you know that they planned to not have any games in the ME universe post-shepard?
    I'm pretty sure I've seen quotes from casey floating around saying that any future work in Mass Effect would happen prior to the ending of mass effect 3, so that means even with the synthesis ending, they don't need to worry about how hard it'll be to write future games with that as part of the world.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

The reapers tell shepard "these are the options I'm giving you, pick one" and Shep picks one.

Technically
    we force it on them when we dock the Crucible. Casper tells us that the Crucible "changed him". I took it to mean that it was the crucible enabling the 3 options and Casper was simply telling Shepard about them because even Casper realized now that something had to change.

In contrast, all casper had to do to win was:

a) not bring shepard up the elevator
    or failing that
    b) not tell shepard what the 3 options did.

It's not exactly intuitive that you have to "destroy tube" or "kill self in beam" to activate the crucible

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

This is dumb.

Well you could have read my response to that instead of saying derp derp, but whatever
    Casey Hudson confirmed everyone on earth is pretty much going to die from starvation. So yea you do get to kill the Reapers, except everyone on all the home worlds dies off by the billions because they were stripped of resources ages ago

override367 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    Had a look over on the BSN forums and combined with the comments here I am now getting annoyed with people trying to impose their interpretation/changes to the ending on me.

Nobody is imposing shit on you, who is forcing you to read the BSN forums

One of the options is 'wanna kill us?'

Yeah and
    it's also "you'll also be killing the bulk of the galaxy's population, have fun with that"
    Not really, but I'm kind of tired of arguing about it

ME1's codex writer disagrees.

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Had a look over on the BSN forums and combined with the comments here I am now getting annoyed with people trying to impose their interpretation/changes to the ending on me.

Nobody is imposing shit on you, who is forcing you to read the BSN forums

One of the options is 'wanna kill us?'

Yeah and
    it's also "you'll also be killing the bulk of the galaxy's population, have fun with that"
    Not really, but I'm kind of tired of arguing about it

ME1's codex writer disagrees.

Erm, what?

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options

This is dumb.

Well you could have read my response to that instead of saying derp derp, but whatever
    Casey Hudson confirmed everyone on earth is pretty much going to die from starvation. So yea you do get to kill the Reapers, except everyone on all the home worlds dies off by the billions because they were stripped of resources ages ago

I was responding to a single comment you made which was wrong. Namely:
    You can't defy the Reapers.

When obviously you can.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Erm, what?
    Some people think the
    relays all exploded and wiped out life in each system but they're basing this on a codex entry (which says relays kill the system they're in when they are destroyed) or the Arrival DLC and not on the space magic we see in ME3. Different events and conditions and it seemed pretty clear in ME3 that while the relays were destroyed they didnt wipe everything out, especially since we see Shepard alive in one of the endings

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    Synthesis is disregarded as a separate ending you can't continue from much like the endings in ME2 where Shepard died.

What? Why? That ending works fine with all the things you described.

Everyone would literally be a
    new form of life, new DNA - something we've never seen before. It would be too weird. The entire game would have to be about "WHAT DOES THIS SYNTHESIS MEAN???" instead of dealing with everything else. It changes the conditions of the ME universe to such an extreme extent that no future games could be built around it to be honest.

I really don't see why.

You don't see why?
    Even the plantlife is now part synthetic. Geth don't exist as they did before, they're now part organic - they didn't even have DNA before, now they do. All the major species had their natural DNA replaced with new, unknown synthesis DNA, forever changing them. Everyone is part of a whole now. The Catalyst called organic life "chaotic" but claimed that Synthesis would change this. He claimed that it would change everything and form a "new framework". The conditions of life in the galaxy are now entirely different. For all we know people don't think the same, don't eat the same, don't procreate the same and are now immortal like Synthetics used to be etc. All these questions would have to be answered in any continuation of the Synthesis ending. It basically took the entire setting and turned it into something else.

And if you instead just chalk it up to "everyone is exactly the same but with green eyes" then what was the point of the Synthesis ending in the first place?
    That's why I'm saying there's a massive logical error in the ending: The catalyst says that the Reaper extinction cycle was put in place because organic life was chaotic. Appearantly, organics will always come to the point at which they create synthetics capable of annihilating them. Except in this cycle, we got peace between them, so there's error number one. The most advanced species are processed into a reaper. That's not an error, but leaves many questions: What happens to those races? Do they share a single consciousness? Maybe as soon as they become a Reaper they actually approve of it and agree with the other Reapers? Or are Reapers just machines with basically no connection to the Race they were harvested from? That's why I thought since Mass Effect 1 that there should be one point at which you actually get inside a Reaper and reveal these mysteries, maybe even talk to the Body of the assimilated race. And then of course there's the questions on how all the different endings: What exactly does "new DNA for everyone!" mean? Does Shepard controll the Reapers in the controll ending? Can't he rebuild the Mass Relays then? I guess the destruction ending may be the best one: Reapers are gone, but so is all synthetic life. But Synthetic life can be recreated, and at this point people know that a peacefull coexistence is possible and won't go all fanatic to the point where they ensure the synthetic-organic war with god-like machines.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options

This is dumb.

And this source is?

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    The people on BSN forums are advocating changes to the ending to a Bioware rep who is tasked with listening them.

Yeah and?

If they change the ending no one is going to force you to experience the new ending

You know its not as simple as that.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

This is dumb.

Wait, what? Where was that said?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The people on BSN forums are advocating changes to the ending to a Bioware rep who is tasked with listening them.

Yeah and?

If they change the ending no one is going to force you to experience the new ending

You know its not as simple as that.

Yeah well, people said the same thing about Fallout 3, but the consensus seems to be that Broken Steel was a positive addition
    Synthesis is disregarded as a separate ending you can't continue from much like the endings in ME2 where Shepard died.

What? Why? That ending works fine with all the things you described.

Everyone would literally be a
    new form of life, new DNA - something we've never seen before. It would be too weird. The entire game would have to be about "WHAT DOES THIS SYNTHESIS MEAN???" instead of dealing with everything else. It changes the conditions of the ME universe to such an extreme extent that no future games could be built around it to be honest.

I really don't see why.

You don't see why?
    Even the plantlife is now part synthetic. Geth don't exist as they did before, they're now part organic - they didn't even have DNA before, now they do. All the major species had their natural DNA replaced with new, unknown synthesis DNA, forever changing them. Everyone is part of a whole now. The Catalyst called organic life "chaotic" but claimed that Synthesis would change this. He claimed that it would change everything and form a "new framework". The conditions of life in the galaxy are now entirely different. For all we know people don't think the same, don't eat the same, don't procreate the same and are now immortal like Synthetics used to be etc. All these questions would have to be answered in any continuation of the Synthesis ending. It basically took the entire setting and turned it into something else.

And if you instead just chalk it up to "everyone is exactly the same but with green eyes" then what was the point of the Synthesis ending in the first place?
    That's why I'm saying there's a massive logical error in the ending: The catalyst says that the Reaper extinction cycle was put in place because organic life was chaotic. Appearantly, organics will always come to the point at which they create synthetics capable of annihilating them. Except in this cycle, we got peace between them, so there's error number one. The most advanced species are processed into a reaper. That's not an error, but leaves many questions: What happens to those races? Do they share a single consciousness? Maybe as soon as they become a Reaper they actually approve of it and agree with the other Reapers? Or are Reapers just machines with basically no connection to the Race they were harvested from? That's why I thought since Mass Effect 1 that there should be one point at which you actually get inside a Reaper and reveal these mysteries, maybe even talk to the Body of the assimilated race. And then of course there's the questions on how all the different endings: What exactly does "new DNA for everyone!" mean? Does Shepard controll the Reapers in the controll ending? Can't he rebuild the Mass Relays then? I guess the destruction ending may be the best one: Reapers are gone, but so is all synthetic life. But Synthetic life can be recreated, and at this point people know that a peacefull coexistence is possible and won't go all fanatic to the point where they ensure the synthetic-organic war with god-like machines.
    It's that preserving the DNA in reaper form preserves the race, which is a bullshit argument, and takes this "Evolution as a god" view that Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise do as well

Ridiculous viewpoints that Shepard isn't even given the opportunity to argue against

override367 on
  • Options
    It's not additions or improvements that I'm worried about, its the advocation of totally changing the nature of the ending with indoctrination or whatever, removing the thematic strength of the ending, throwing out the baby with the bath water.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not in favor of a total change. Just an ending epilogue.

And until I see this magic source for
    rocks fall everyone dies

I'm not going to worry about it.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I'm torn on whether or not I'd have liked a Fallout-style narrated epilogue.
    As an example...
    (Voice: Captain Bailey, no upgrades to the Citadel Defense Force) The Citadel was overrun by Reaper forces after being transferred to Earth. There were no survivors.
    (You upgraded the CDF) Citadel Defense managed to barricade groups of survivors down on the Wards, and held on long enough to be rescued.

I think I would have loved to see that in this game. Just to tie everything up.

I'm actually kind of glad they didn't do this
    mostly because it's just sort of lazy storytelling; the player should have an idea of what happens next based on the events of the game, not based on pure exposition played over sepia-tone photos at the end.

this is actually something that ME3 does a really good job with; at the end of tuchanka and rannoch and lots of the former-henchman side missions we have a pretty clear idea of what the fate of the characters is and how their future will unfold.

unfortunately the endings all pretty much trample on all this; instead of a beachfront house on rannoch tali is marooned on some jungle planet, etc. But until the ending, the game does a great job.

Here's the thing, though: I'd like to know
    what happens to the krogan. If Wrex and Bakara are alive, then there's hope for the krogan, but the Council has given no indication whatever which way they'll go. The dalatrass will probably continue to be a big buttmunch, but the ambassador might see things differently, and Valern could also be inclined to be generous after having his life saved again by Shepard. So, will the krogan rejoin galactic society? Fucked if I know, because Hudson and Walters wanted speculation over closure.

I guess I just disagree that this is necessary information
    like, in the tuchanka example (if it ended the good wrex/bakara way) we have a pretty good idea that the krogan are going to rebuild a more stable political society that can interact with its neighbors in a rational way. Wrex even has a fairly nuanced (for a krogan anyway) understanding of how hard it will be for the krogan to get colonization rights, but appears to be cool with going through the process.

(maybe he's just relaxed because he's finally getting laid but whatever)

I don't think we really need to see the ultimate outcome for krogan society 3000+ years in the future for this to be an appropriately cathartic ending; the tunchanka mission epilogue and talking to wrex briefly on earth are enough.

ditto with the quarians/geth and most of the squadmembers, etc.

ed: here's the other thing: I have made as much fun of the SPECULATION comments as anybody, but to some extent speculation is good. I can imagine what'll happen to the krogans based on the information I got and I'm happy with that. The problem with the game ending is that we hardly get any information to even SPECULATE about.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    It's not additions or improvements that I'm worried about, its the advocation of totally changing the nature of the ending with indoctrination or whatever, removing the thematic strength of the ending, throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Well, I don't think there's much strength to the ending as-is, but I'm not particularly impressed by Indoctrination Theory either. So I agree. Hopefully there's a smoother way to do it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So my save was just completely eaten. My Shepard is now default, and half of my abilities are locked for some reason. Is there any way to fix this, because I don't particularly feel like starting back at my last manual save?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Wyborn wrote: »

This is dumb.

Wait, what? Where was that said?

Yeah, source please? I don't remember seeing this either.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The lack of a total failure ending is a serious missed opportunity.
    I mean, how amazing would it have been to be doing the end run with low assets, having everything exploding and dying around you, and end up on a completely different end sequence where you have to flee in the Normandy to scatter the time capsules, and then cryofreeze yourself.

I so badly want a failending where the last two scenes are
    shepard bitterly holding off a reaper attack (a la javik) before getting into her own stasis pod, then a quick fade to black, then a closeup of shepard's face as the pod opens. Her eyes open, she gasps, and SCENE

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Well, I don't think there's much strength to the ending as-is, but I'm not particularly impressed by Indoctrination Theory either. So I agree. Hopefully there's a smoother way to do it.

Well if they wanted to just pretend the ending we got never happened, I am onboard with this.

Seriously, I have no problems with them saying "we screwed up...please pretend you never saw this".

I kind of wish they'd done that with the ammo change in ME2 - I didn't like there being codex entry for it - they should've just pretended that that was always the case (also I'd totally pay for an ME1 remake with the ME2/3 engine).

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Human Vanguard is so ridiculously fun to play on Bronze. I've already finished my extraction challenge against the Reapers on Silver, so now I'm just farming Bronze for Brute kills. With a Vanguard, the rounds are super quick. I can usually finish a Bronze game with my Vanguard in about 17-18 minutes. Also, holy crap: my N7 rating's over 250 now. I didn't even realize. I could probably promote a few characters, and boost it up over 300.

• Options

Well if they wanted to just pretend the ending we got never happened, I am onboard with this.

Seriously, I have no problems with them saying "we screwed up...please pretend you never saw this".

I kind of wish they'd done that with the ammo change in ME2 - I didn't like there being codex entry for it - they should've just pretended that that was always the case (also I'd totally pay for an ME1 remake with the ME2/3 engine).

Yeah. Especially since you find thermal clips on Jacob's mission. They should have just retconned it.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The lack of a total failure ending is a serious missed opportunity.
    I mean, how amazing would it have been to be doing the end run with low assets, having everything exploding and dying around you, and end up on a completely different end sequence where you have to flee in the Normandy to scatter the time capsules, and then cryofreeze yourself.

I so badly want a failending where the last two scenes are
    shepard bitterly holding off a reaper attack (a la javik) before getting into her own stasis pod, then a quick fade to black, then a closeup of shepard's face as the pod opens. Her eyes open, she gasps, and SCENE

Heh, well that sound pretty cool in theory, but without having hinted that
    A bunker with a 50,000 year power supply was around somewhere already built
    It would have been as much of a 'pull it out of their ass' story decision as what they actually went with.
    Liara's time capsule thing surviving to the next cycle would be enough.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Well it wasn't Casey Hudson, and now I can't find it. It was from one of the writers of Me1 and Me2 about how without the
    relay networks the homeworlds and industrial worlds will suffer massive dieoffs and agricultural worlds are the only ones able to maintain their level of technology.

I can't find it in the million page somethingawful thread and since I can't remember exactly which writer wrote it, and I can't simply appeal to logic (that in game, in codex, in books, core worlds are utterly dependent on the colonies for sustenance), I'm just going to drop it and concede that I'm a gibbering fucking moron

• Options
    yeah there are occasional instances in fiction where a straight teardown retcon is the way to go

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Seriously, my last save is 15 hours ago, and I am kind of super pissed about this.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Glancing through the BSN forums, the PA comic had a better point than I previously thought.
    I don't understand people complaining about the ending not being happy enough at all, anyone who thinks that completely fails to understand the nature of the fiction.

Shepard dying makes sense, the relays being destroyed makes sense, fucktons of people dying makes sense.

I'm much more irritated by the reaction to the ending than the ending itself at this stage, and I'm a little sad the hysteria has infected the PA forums.

wilting on
  • Options
    The time capsule is another hint that they might have had an "everyone dies" ending planned at some point. You even get to choose what type of message should have been put in there.

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    Oh well, I guess I'll change from a Raptor to something else. It's just... really fucking aggravating, I guess. I've been dealing with tiny cinematic bugs throughout, and I feel like now it's just not all that well put together.

• Options
    if you quit the game and hit 'resume' when you reload does it pull up the save from way long ago?

at least on the xbox the game seems to 'hide' some of your autosaves on the load screen, but it'll still load them when you hit resume

• Options
    My save files have completely vanished. It isn't in the Bioware/ME3/Save folder anymore. Just...gone. What the heck? It even reset my accomplishments; I've gotten a bunch back from multiplayer. I hope I didn't lose the promotions I did before the file vanished. I didn't lose any of the equipment I picked up in MP, at least.

• Options
    NorkNork Registered User regular
    There isn't going to be an epilogue.
    The problem with an epilogue is that the setting is finished.

Which ever option you pick, the setting is no longer recognizable.

There is nothing to epilogue about.

It is like they made a game about being a baby in the womb, and it ends with a scene where you are born, and then people are demanding a fucking epilogue.

The epilogue just boils down to this: "things are different. WAY different. So different that the old has no real meaning in the new."

It might well be the bargaining stage of people expecting to somehow keep being "part of" the mass effect universe. "If they'll only just tell me what happens, I'll accept that it is over."

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Glancing through the BSN forums, the PA comic had a better point than I previously thought.
    I don't understand people complaining about the ending not being happy enough at all, anyone who thinks that completely fails to understand the nature of the fiction.

Shepard dying makes sense, the relays being destroyed makes sense, fucktons of people dying makes sense.

I'm much more irritated by the reaction to the ending than the ending itself at this stage, and I'm a little sad the hysteria has infected the PA forums.
    Most people are not complaining about the ending being unhappy, but about it not making any goddamn sense.

• Options
    Lots of people are making that complaint though.

• Options

Sure, but the broader complaint is the endings don't have a wide enough emotional and narrative range. The game would be stronger if it could end on everything from bleak despair to triumphant victory.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Orca wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Playing pub support as an Engi. Dropping shields and reducing armor like a boss. Sad that you don't get nearly any points for assists though. I mean, I end the match with like 75+ assists and I'm low on the chart. :(

I dunno. Once I hit about level 5, I'm usually number 2 on the boards with my engi

shocking dudes erryday

of course, I'm squishy as fuck, and things DO NOT go well if I'm the only one trying to cover our flank against a Brute or rush of Hunters + Pyros.

I've only fucked about with pubs though so far with the main game.

Aye I hear ya amigo. One way to help things is to run with one heavy damaging weapon like the Falcon or a light sniper rifle. Plus if you spec your drone for aoe chain lightning, you can really rack up your aoe damage and assist bonuses. That's what's worked for me at least...that and always sticking with at least one of your heavy direct damage dealers (soldier/vanguard so you can help mop up) to keep the points rolling.

Also regarding the drone, drop it at every opportunity, especially around heavies. The aggro the thing generates is insane and will tie up even Banshees up for as long as its up, letting you unload into them with almost no worry.

Yeah, I like speccing for AoE stuff (same as I did with the demo). I'm trying to go further into incinerate because my anti-armor basically sucks balls. Not sure if it's the right thing to do or not, but whatevs.

Aye its a good investment for sure! As Berkshire said earlier, you is a squishy man, so your focus is to hang back and provide long range debuffing/ damage. Upgraded incinerate is your go-to direct damage attack and my opening salvo on brutes or anything without a shield.

Also incinerate is a nice quick escape tool as well! If an enemy gets in your face and you don't have a weapon that staggers (like the Falcon) an incinerate even on a shielded target will generally at least stagger them, giving you time to run for it.

Definitely put points into it, it's a great tool for any Engy.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    if you quit the game and hit 'resume' when you reload does it pull up the save from way long ago?

at least on the xbox the game seems to 'hide' some of your autosaves on the load screen, but it'll still load them when you hit resume

No, it puts me right where I was... With a Shepard that isn't mine, and half of my abilities locked. There was an error in the saving somewhere, and instead of recognizing it, the game just decided to completely fuck me over.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Sure, but the broader complaint is the endings don't have a wide enough emotional and narrative range. The game would be stronger if it could end on everything from bleak despair to triumphant victory.

I think most of the complaints are only partially about this.
    Most I've heard come from either the "Why the Hell did you change/explain the Reapers, what is this starchild shit" or the "These endings don't make any good god damn sense" camps. Often both

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.