Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Mass Effect] Operation Beachhead Next Weekend. Fun in the sun? MARK SPOILERS

178101213100

Posts

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    The Spike Thrower is fine. Shoot better (or host, it's not a good gun in laggy games).

    The Geth Plasma Shotgun is pretty much the same thing with a somewhat faster projectile too at the expense of being less cool.

  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I somehow managed to take down a Pyro while it still had shields up with my Javelin I.

    Daddy like.

    steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    The Spike Thrower is fine. Shoot better (or host, it's not a good gun in laggy games).

    The Geth Plasma Shotgun is pretty much the same thing with a somewhat faster projectile too at the expense of being less cool.

    Hey, my aim is fine! I'm always doing good as a sniper at least. Yet the Spike thrower has a delay of half a second, and at close range it always misses. Also, is there any way to tell when it's finished charging?

    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    I somehow managed to take down a Pyro while it still had shields up with my Javelin I.

    Daddy like.
    Full shields and full health?

    Or some Pyro someone forgot to put down so his shields came back?

  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh hey, the Paladin got a pretty big damage buff and also a pretty big weight increase.

    Not sure how I feel about that.

    Also the Falcon got rebuffed.

    It wont really matter if you still loose a 1/4 of your shots for no apparent reason. And to think that all my upgrade packs are going to be leveling that "gun".

    edit... Im referring to the falcon

    Blood Drive on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    The Spike Thrower is fine. Shoot better (or host, it's not a good gun in laggy games).

    The Geth Plasma Shotgun is pretty much the same thing with a somewhat faster projectile too at the expense of being less cool.

    I used the GPS my entire time as a Quarian Infiltrator. Just felt right giving it right back to those Geth Hunters.

  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Dalantia wrote: »
    I somehow managed to take down a Pyro while it still had shields up with my Javelin I.

    Daddy like.
    Full shields and full health?

    Or some Pyro someone forgot to put down so his shields came back?

    Not full shields - think someone winged him with Overload, then I hit him with the Javelin, but he was full armor. I couldn't tell you whether it was head or body in the chaos.

    steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Lets introduce a villain in a book we outsourced to some guy.

    Surely this will titillate the fans.

    fettbobajb.png

  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    I somehow managed to take down a Pyro while it still had shields up with my Javelin I.

    Daddy like.

    I want a Javelin, my best sniper right now is a Widow II.

    Lack of good sniper rifles is the primary reason I don't play Winfiltrator much and when I do it's primarily with a shotgun (have those coming out my ass, GPS IV, Gral IV, Katana X, Scmitar VIII, Eviscerator X, Claymore III, Wraith I).

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons why people were so upset about the ending was because they were willing to ignore a lot of the other problems and plot holes since they were expecting an ending that would compensate for that.

    People were willing to ignore the stupidity of having the game begin following the stupid Arrival DLC. They were willing to ignore the pointlessness of the nonsensical Cerberus stuff. They were willing to ignore their clumsy attempt to push Kai Leng on us as some kind of badass villain that we're supposed to be afraid of. They were willing to ignore the idiocy of the Reapers.
    They were willing to ignore the fact that the main plot of ME2 was unnecessary. They were willing to ignore the huge plot hole in the final battle where the Reapers took over the Citadel and brought it to earth.
    All because they were expecting an ending that would make up for all those problems.

    So people who hated everything made Mass Effect, Mass Effect, were willing to overlook all that because the ending might make up for a series they obviously didn't like anything about? Wut?

    If you think that plot holes, idiotic or pointless plot elements, and poorly written villains are what make Mass Effect, Mass Effect, then yes.

    Otherwise, you've missed the point of my post, which was that people were willing to overlook some obvious flaws in the series because they were expecting it to be worth it to stick it out to the end. However, the ending ruined all that.

    I can't imagine sitting through a series of any medium where I find that much flaw and going "Yes, but the ending, THE ENDING, it's going to make all these glaring flaws I see totally worth it".

    Alright, so lets just agree that Mass Effect in its entirety is terrible, but we should enjoy the whole thing anyway and keep playing it since we should be able to suppress our feelings.

    I'm really not sure of your point. Honestly I disagree with the three or four posters here that like the ending, but it's their right to like what they want and I'm not going to contest that. For all your complaining about vitriol, you seem to spend the most effort telling people that they are wrong and they should think as you do

    override367 on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    To elaborate: I don't care that Kai Leng ate cereal in some book. It's not like we're expected to know everything about him from said book. Cerberus assassin, gotcha. Didn't mind the Collector General either.

  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    tyguy7760 wrote: »
    So random question. Just recently started my first playthrough of Mass Effect 1 as a male (never played mass effect 2 or 3 yet) and have decided to romance Liara. I was just curious who everyone romanced throughout ME 1,2, and 3 and if you regretted the choice or would keep the same choice and why. Thanks

    To get your relationship scenes with Liara in ME2, you need to buy a DLC. It's an excellent bit of content though, so that's not a problem. The problem is that in ME3, it's generally written for people who haven't got the DLC (understandably), so it can feel a little off when she's asking if you're still interested in being together despite you already going through all this. Once you're past all that though, it's all good stuff.

    You've also got the option of picking a new love interest in ME2. If you go with Tali there's the option of some hilarious dialogue between her and Liara in ME3 if you bring them both on a certain mission, so it's worth it either way.

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Also, this week's special upgrade pack is 10 equipment/supply items. I am sad.

    steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Dalantia wrote: »
    I somehow managed to take down a Pyro while it still had shields up with my Javelin I.

    Daddy like.
    Full shields and full health?

    Or some Pyro someone forgot to put down so his shields came back?

    Not full shields - think someone winged him with Overload, then I hit him with the Javelin, but he was full armor. I couldn't tell you whether it was head or body in the chaos.

    I've only played with a guy using the Javelin but he sounded happy the entire round.

  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons why people were so upset about the ending was because they were willing to ignore a lot of the other problems and plot holes since they were expecting an ending that would compensate for that.

    People were willing to ignore the stupidity of having the game begin following the stupid Arrival DLC. They were willing to ignore the pointlessness of the nonsensical Cerberus stuff. They were willing to ignore their clumsy attempt to push Kai Leng on us as some kind of badass villain that we're supposed to be afraid of. They were willing to ignore the idiocy of the Reapers.
    They were willing to ignore the fact that the main plot of ME2 was unnecessary. They were willing to ignore the huge plot hole in the final battle where the Reapers took over the Citadel and brought it to earth.
    All because they were expecting an ending that would make up for all those problems.

    Can't speak for everyone, but I didn't consider most of those problems. Arrival was great. Cerberus was... well, they've never exactly been the good guys. Kai Leng (and for that matter Vega) was a new character to me. I think the Reaper component is telling but not quite spot on:
    The Reapers started off as the good kind of mysterious: they have some goals, but we don't know what they are. They ended up as the bad kind of mysterious: nobody knows what the goal is, certainly not the writers. The ending just came out of left field. I would have been perfectly happy with a safe ending, because the rest of the game was awesome.

    The Arrival has a lot of problems. For one, it makes no sense. Second, it's actually more important than the suicide mission against the Collectors. Third, it was basically a poorly written excuse to erase Shepard's accomplishments in ME2 and bring him back to earth. Finally, it had no real consequences either.

    The problem isn't Cerberus being the bad guys again, the problem is that they serve as filler or convenient plot devices even when it doesn't make much sense. It's like whenever they can't think of who Shepard should fight in a particular mission, they bring in Cerberus. Why is Cerberus there and doing all those terrible things?


    The problem with Kai Leng is that they don't develop him at all, I guess because he's in the books, and gives him such a huge part in the game.
    The only reason he exists is so he can show up and make Shepard look like a fool. It's just idiotic how Shepard, the most badass soldier in the galaxy, can be outwitted and outfought by some random guy you've never heard of or seen before.

  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    oh, also new changelist
    Falcon Assault Rifle
    - Damage increased from [215.0-268.8] to [279.2-349.0]

    Javelin Sniper Rifle
    - Damage increased from [795.0-993.7] to [1030.5-1288.1]
    - Encumbrance increased from [2.5-2.0] to [3.0-2.4]
    - Max spare ammo decreased from [9-19] to [5-15]

    Wraith Shotgun
    - Damage increased from [83.1-103.9] to [89.5-111.9]

    Paladin Heavy Pistol
    - Damage increased from [350.9-438.7] to [389.9-487.4]
    - Encumbrance increased from [1.0-0.5] to [1.5-0.9]

    Talon Heavy Pistol
    - Damage increased from [72.1-90.1] to [86.5-108.1]

    Geth Assault Rifle
    - Encumbrance decreased from [1.5-0.9] to [1.0-0.5]

    Lift Grenade Power
    - Increased base damage from 450 to 500

    Whoa, those are some crazy buffs. Gonna have to spec into pistol encumberance on my Asari once I get the Paladin!

    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons why people were so upset about the ending was because they were willing to ignore a lot of the other problems and plot holes since they were expecting an ending that would compensate for that.

    People were willing to ignore the stupidity of having the game begin following the stupid Arrival DLC. They were willing to ignore the pointlessness of the nonsensical Cerberus stuff. They were willing to ignore their clumsy attempt to push Kai Leng on us as some kind of badass villain that we're supposed to be afraid of. They were willing to ignore the idiocy of the Reapers.
    They were willing to ignore the fact that the main plot of ME2 was unnecessary. They were willing to ignore the huge plot hole in the final battle where the Reapers took over the Citadel and brought it to earth.
    All because they were expecting an ending that would make up for all those problems.

    So people who hated everything made Mass Effect, Mass Effect, were willing to overlook all that because the ending might make up for a series they obviously didn't like anything about? Wut?

    If you think that plot holes, idiotic or pointless plot elements, and poorly written villains are what make Mass Effect, Mass Effect, then yes.

    Otherwise, you've missed the point of my post, which was that people were willing to overlook some obvious flaws in the series because they were expecting it to be worth it to stick it out to the end. However, the ending ruined all that.

    I can't imagine sitting through a series of any medium where I find that much flaw and going "Yes, but the ending, THE ENDING, it's going to make all these glaring flaws I see totally worth it".

    Yet all those flaws exist in Mass Effect.

  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    The Spike Thrower is fine. Shoot better (or host, it's not a good gun in laggy games).

    The Geth Plasma Shotgun is pretty much the same thing with a somewhat faster projectile too at the expense of being less cool.

    I used the GPS my entire time as a Quarian Infiltrator. Just felt right giving it right back to those Geth Hunters.

    The best part of GPS for an Infiltrator is that if you start charging it and then cloak, you can fire it and remain cloaked.

    I haven't figured out if you get the damage bonus or not though.

  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Say, where are people getting patch notes?

    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9544143

    Mostly worthless patch actually. Like the buff on the Talon and Wraith though. A Krogan Sentinel with a Shotgun is still far away from being viable, but at least I got a good replacement for my Carnifex on my Winfiltrator now.

    What?

    Well the only shotguns that do decent damage are the Wraith, Claymore and Spike Thrower. The Spike Throwers projectile are slower than an Elcor, you can only hit really slow moving targets with it and have no chance at anything else. The Claymore does really nice damage, but its range, reload speed and one-shottiness make it too slow. The Wraith is a bit better with its two shots but therefore needs two shots to kill and doesn't make much difference in the end.
    I've been claymoring with my salarian infiltrator, and with a smart choke, that thing can be used for sniping. Makes mailslotting guardians a lot easier when I'm not packing armor-piercing ammo.

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    MP hates me in this game

    I have no good sniper rifles

    no widow

    no javelin

    no black widow

    I have like 12 krogan sentinels though

    I like to equip my level 7 Tempest with its level 6 SMG Magazine upgrade on my 12-unlock krogan sentinel and...cry in the corner

    eahenryii wrote: »

    i've resorted to reading your posts in William Shatner's voice.

    I am now using the Christopher Walken voice.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Tenek wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Lets introduce a villain in a book we outsourced to some guy.

    Surely this will titillate the fans.

    fettbobajb.png

    That's Jango the Fett from the star wars movies, right!?

    It was so sad when that one black guy cut his head off.

    Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Lets introduce a villain in a book we outsourced to some guy.

    Surely this will titillate the fans.

    Yeah this is pretty much the only thing in the main game (i.e. not ending) that really didn't sit well with me.

    They wanted so hard for Kai Leng to be a "badass" and he just never was. He was weak, flimsy and they tried way too hard to make him seem like a threat and it just didn't work. He was never threatening, he was comically "badass" and every scene he was in was just annoying because it required plot armor to make him a "threat", and not anything he ever did and said.

    He was such a bad character.

    Ha, I thought that too. I kept on thinking 'Err, you aren't scary Kai Leng. Do you see my particle rifle? It tops you being a ninja"

    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    The Spike Thrower is fine. Shoot better (or host, it's not a good gun in laggy games).

    The Geth Plasma Shotgun is pretty much the same thing with a somewhat faster projectile too at the expense of being less cool.

    I used the GPS my entire time as a Quarian Infiltrator. Just felt right giving it right back to those Geth Hunters.

    The best part of GPS for an Infiltrator is that if you start charging it and then cloak, you can fire it and remain cloaked.

    I haven't figured out if you get the damage bonus or not though.

    Did the same thing. Damage bonus really doesn't matter when you're right behind a Geth Hunter with it fully charged anyway.

    I hate Geth Hunters.

  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    The Arrival has a lot of problems. For one, it makes no sense. Second, it's actually more important than the suicide mission against the Collectors. Third, it was basically a poorly written excuse to erase Shepard's accomplishments in ME2 and bring him back to earth. Finally, it had no real consequences either.

    The problem isn't Cerberus being the bad guys again, the problem is that they serve as filler or convenient plot devices even when it doesn't make much sense. It's like whenever they can't think of who Shepard should fight in a particular mission, they bring in Cerberus. Why is Cerberus there and doing all those terrible things?


    The problem with Kai Leng is that they don't develop him at all, I guess because he's in the books, and gives him such a huge part in the game.
    The only reason he exists is so he can show up and make Shepard look like a fool. It's just idiotic how Shepard, the most badass soldier in the galaxy, can be outwitted and outfought by some random guy you've never heard of or seen before.

    I'm not sure how it doesn't make sense. Stop the Reapers from instant victory over completely unprepared opponents, ok. Sounds good to me.

    More important?... Maybe, I'm not sure. I guess it depends what the consequences of a Collector victory would have been.

    I don't think it erased any of Shepard's accomplishments, and I would have been totally ok with the trial and subsequent interruption. Also note that it was fun, and the Object Rho fight was very well done. If we're going to slam it for that we might as well toss the entirety of ME2 in the mid-stage muddling about category.

    Cerberus doesn't have to be particularly inscrutable or confusing either:
    They want human dominance and are busy trying to a) keep the other races down and b) stop the destruction of the Reapers, who they want to control. Plus that bit about the Protheans failing to build/use the Crucible - someone always tries to undermine the project. Works for me.

    Not that anyone really gets a ton of development, but one defense of Kai Leng is that without him, Cerberus is TIM and mooks. That's it. Even the Zerg had more sentients than that.

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Ender wrote: »
    MP hates me in this game

    I have no good sniper rifles

    no widow

    no javelin

    no black widow

    I have like 12 krogan sentinels though

    I like to equip my level 7 Tempest with its level 6 SMG Magazine upgrade on my 12-unlock krogan sentinel and...cry in the corner

    Sentinel doesn't even need a gun to be badass?

  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Lets introduce a villain in a book we outsourced to some guy.

    Surely this will titillate the fans.

    fettbobajb.png

    That's Jango Fett from the star wars movies, right!?

    It was so sad when that one black guy cut his head off.

    Boba Fett, introduced in the legendarily-awful Star Wars Holiday Special. (Killed in Return of the Jedi, neener neener.)

  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Tenek wrote: »
    To elaborate: I don't care that Kai Leng ate cereal in some book. It's not like we're expected to know everything about him from said book. Cerberus assassin, gotcha. Didn't mind the Collector General either.

    Yeah, since I hadn't read the books, I only had a vague idea that Leng may have been mentioned in them. I just rolled with it, and was too busy being pissed off at him to object to whether or not he was well-characterized. I guess you could say that shows that he was well characterized enough for me (evoked a genuine emotional response), but I think to some degree (after we first encountered him) I was thinking of him on the meta-game level and had figured out where in the plot I'd probably end up getting my resolution. So the plot armor, while frustrating, didn't bother me because I kind of expected it.

    Bobble on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    Also ME2 set the bar really high with
    the custom cutscenes depending on how you did, and the earn-your-happy-ending part.

    I was expecting more of that, not a regression to ME1 or less.

    It seemed clear from cut audio (from the somethingawful thread they had quite a bit) that was originally what they had in mind
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better Orca, (and if I am not confusing other posts with yours) I can agree with your position, and still think that failed execution of the ending is a Very Bad Thing. As in it should not have happened this way. This is not good speculation, this is the very bad I feel like I got fucked over thing.

    The analogy I have been using for this whole fiasco boils down to this. I had 3 batches of grapes. The first 2 were pretty damn good with the occasional sour one in the mix. On my 3rd batch all the grapes have been the best grapes I have had in years, but my last 3 grapes end up being the sourest, most bitter grapes I have ever had. It does not make the grapes beforehand any less delicious. It just means that my last experience was by far the worst and that means im not buying any grapes for a long time because of that memory.

    Unless those last 3 grapes gave you salmonella, I just don't see this point of view at all.

    And the ending didn't do that.

    Which is why I'm a proud member of the few, the proud, the Bad Opinion Brigade. REPRESENT.

    Thats because its psychological (perhaps physiological?) you cold unfeeling monster.
    Seriously though, have you never been hurt in an argument and not talked to that person for some amount of time? Im not saying people don't get over it or move on. Im saying that its hard wired into people to avoid things that have made a negative impact on them.
    The precieved terribleness of the ending marks the last thing most people are going to see with the game. Negative emotions severely outrank good emotions for a damn good evolutionary reason, to keep you from getting killed or sick or any number of terrible things. This memory of terrible things translates badly to things like games because it will never be actual life or death but the evolutionary machinery is still built in. Hence because of a few bad grapes you avoid all grapes for some time.

    Except we are humans, and have the cognitive capacity to say "I am not going to let my bad feelings about the last five minutes of the game override the thirty hours of joy I got from it previously". We have conscious, and can actively override the "evolution machinery" in our head, unless we are in pure fight or flight mode...which the ending of a game generally doesn't cause.

    You're inserting an emotional obligation where none exists.

    I am obligated to overlook my mother's flaws so I can have a relationship with her.

    I am not obligated to overlook flaws in a video game.

    You're not obligated to do the first one either, you choose to because you want a relationship with your mother. I want a relationship with Mass Effect, I am choosing to ignore the wart on it's left butt cheek, because the rest of it us supple and gorgeous.

    Oh dear, I think I'm a bit more obligated to tolerate my mother's flaws than I am to tolerate Mass Effect's flaws, so we'll just agree to disagree.

    As someone who has chosen to mostly not have a relationship with his mother, I will admit my position on this is probably skewed.

    How about this then, I'm obligated to get dressed and seek a restroom when I need to go

    Please don't tell me you walk around naked and just poop wherever D:
    :winky:

    But now your comparing bodily processes with overlooking faults in something to see the good of the greater whole. Unless you want to talk about overlooking the peanuts in my loaf, because the rest of it is good solid fecal matter? I...I'm not really sure where we are going with this.

    Christ man, I have no obligation to feel the same way as you about Mass Effect, let it go.

    There's no need to be deliberately obtuse and declaring "well I CAN IGNORE THE ENDING so you all should" is kind of goosy


    This is what bothers me the most: It seemed clear from cut audio (from the somethingawful thread they had quite a bit) that was originally what they had in mind

    From what we've seen of the original content, they were on the right track to end ME3 in a glorious final battle. But then they changed their minds and decided to give us "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ?" instead.

  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    MP hates me in this game

    I have no good sniper rifles

    no widow

    no javelin

    no black widow

    I have like 12 krogan sentinels though

    I like to equip my level 7 Tempest with its level 6 SMG Magazine upgrade on my 12-unlock krogan sentinel and...cry in the corner

    Sentinel doesn't even need a gun to be badass?

    I'm not a big fan of sentinels, dunno why

    guess I should try out a shottie infiltrator or something

    eahenryii wrote: »

    i've resorted to reading your posts in William Shatner's voice.

    I am now using the Christopher Walken voice.
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Azusa Ca - The Quarry Armpit of AmericaRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Lets introduce a villain in a book we outsourced to some guy.

    Surely this will titillate the fans.

    Yeah this is pretty much the only thing in the main game (i.e. not ending) that really didn't sit well with me.

    They wanted so hard for Kai Leng to be a "badass" and he just never was. He was weak, flimsy and they tried way too hard to make him seem like a threat and it just didn't work. He was never threatening, he was comically "badass" and every scene he was in was just annoying because it required plot armor to make him a "threat", and not anything he ever did and said.

    He was such a bad character.

    Ha, I thought that too. I kept on thinking 'Err, you aren't scary Kai Leng. Do you see my particle rifle? It tops you being a ninja"

    Seriously. It's kinda hard for me to be scared of him when you think about it. It kinda reminds me when in Lotsb when you're talking to
    That traitor Spectre and she takes that hostage. The PARAGON thing of all choices says: I've stared death in the face, I've wiped out whole squads of soldiers, I've head butted a Krogan and let loose the Rachni on the Galaxy, you're going to have to do a lot more than threaten to kill a hostage to scare me.

    Kinda takes the wind out of Kai leng's sails there....

  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Lets introduce a villain in a book we outsourced to some guy.

    Surely this will titillate the fans.

    fettbobajb.png

    That's Jango Fett from the star wars movies, right!?

    It was so sad when that one black guy cut his head off.

    Boba Fett, introduced in the legendarily-awful Star Wars Holiday Special. (Killed in Return of the Jedi, neener neener.)

    Now you've gone and dredged up the holiday special in my brain again

    I am going to cry

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    Ender wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    MP hates me in this game

    I have no good sniper rifles

    no widow

    no javelin

    no black widow

    I have like 12 krogan sentinels though

    I like to equip my level 7 Tempest with its level 6 SMG Magazine upgrade on my 12-unlock krogan sentinel and...cry in the corner

    Sentinel doesn't even need a gun to be badass?

    I'm not a big fan of sentinels, dunno why

    guess I should try out a shottie infiltrator or something

    I want the m-99 saber. Probably as much as you want a good sniper rifle.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons why people were so upset about the ending was because they were willing to ignore a lot of the other problems and plot holes since they were expecting an ending that would compensate for that.

    People were willing to ignore the stupidity of having the game begin following the stupid Arrival DLC. They were willing to ignore the pointlessness of the nonsensical Cerberus stuff. They were willing to ignore their clumsy attempt to push Kai Leng on us as some kind of badass villain that we're supposed to be afraid of. They were willing to ignore the idiocy of the Reapers.
    They were willing to ignore the fact that the main plot of ME2 was unnecessary. They were willing to ignore the huge plot hole in the final battle where the Reapers took over the Citadel and brought it to earth.
    All because they were expecting an ending that would make up for all those problems.

    So people who hated everything made Mass Effect, Mass Effect, were willing to overlook all that because the ending might make up for a series they obviously didn't like anything about? Wut?

    If you think that plot holes, idiotic or pointless plot elements, and poorly written villains are what make Mass Effect, Mass Effect, then yes.

    Otherwise, you've missed the point of my post, which was that people were willing to overlook some obvious flaws in the series because they were expecting it to be worth it to stick it out to the end. However, the ending ruined all that.

    I can't imagine sitting through a series of any medium where I find that much flaw and going "Yes, but the ending, THE ENDING, it's going to make all these glaring flaws I see totally worth it".

    Alright, so lets just agree that Mass Effect in its entirety is terrible, but we should enjoy the whole thing anyway and keep playing it since we should be able to suppress our feelings.

    I'm really not sure of your point. Honestly I disagree with the three or four posters here that like the ending, but it's their right to like what they want and I'm not going to contest that. For all your complaining about vitriol, you seem to spend the most effort telling people that they are wrong and they should think as you do

    Maybe you need to look up the word vitriol. It's not vitriolic to point out the logical fallacy of "I didn't like really anything about this game or series, but I really thought the ending would fix that for me".

    It would be vitriolic if I said "You're a fucking moron, why in the hell would you play a game where you don't like anything? God, you fucking idiot... Jesus Christ, I hope your man babies die in a fire of Mass Effect cases, because you're so stupid you don't deserve to procreate". That's vitriol...not asking a question about a statement, which if read at face value, doesn't make a shit ton of sense.

    Also, the fact that you missed this:
    But now your comparing bodily processes with overlooking faults in something to see the good of the greater whole. Unless you want to talk about overlooking the peanuts in my loaf, because the rest of it is good solid fecal matter? I...I'm not really sure where we are going with this.

    Christ man, I have no obligation to feel the same way as you about Mass Effect, let it go.


    There's no need to be deliberately obtuse and declaring "well I CAN IGNORE THE ENDING so you all should" is kind of goosy

    as a fucking joke, is pretty telling about this entire conversation. You really thought I was being serious about the poop comment? Fucking REALLY? Come the fuck on. Now I'm being vitriolic, because that is pretty goosey.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    ddSuD.jpg
    rlMl4.jpg
    http://skoolmunkee.tumblr.com/
    Visit the tumblr link for the rest of the new ones.

  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    MP hates me in this game

    I have no good sniper rifles

    no widow

    no javelin

    no black widow

    I have like 12 krogan sentinels though

    I like to equip my level 7 Tempest with its level 6 SMG Magazine upgrade on my 12-unlock krogan sentinel and...cry in the corner

    Sentinel doesn't even need a gun to be badass?

    I'm not a big fan of sentinels, dunno why

    guess I should try out a shottie infiltrator or something

    I want the m-99 saber. Probably as much as you want a good sniper rifle.

    Hey, outside of the N7 weapons that's the only ultra rare I'm missing! This is going a lot faster than I expected.

    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

  • joshgotrojoshgotro Queen CityRegistered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    MP hates me in this game

    I have no good sniper rifles

    no widow

    no javelin

    no black widow

    I have like 12 krogan sentinels though

    I like to equip my level 7 Tempest with its level 6 SMG Magazine upgrade on my 12-unlock krogan sentinel and...cry in the corner

    Sentinel doesn't even need a gun to be badass?

    I'm not a big fan of sentinels, dunno why

    guess I should try out a shottie infiltrator or something

    I want the m-99 saber. Probably as much as you want a good sniper rifle.

    Hey, outside of the N7 weapons that's the only ultra rare I'm missing! This is going a lot faster than I expected.
    I've bought one or two Spectre packs. Maybe I should start just getting those.

  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I was pleasantly surprised to learn that you can perform grab kills on Pyros. I assume Primes, Atlases, and Banshees are immune. How about brutes, ravagers, or phantoms?

    Future Employee of Planetary Acquisitions, Inc.
    pNRtexA.png
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    joshgotro wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    MP hates me in this game

    I have no good sniper rifles

    no widow

    no javelin

    no black widow

    I have like 12 krogan sentinels though

    I like to equip my level 7 Tempest with its level 6 SMG Magazine upgrade on my 12-unlock krogan sentinel and...cry in the corner

    Sentinel doesn't even need a gun to be badass?

    I'm not a big fan of sentinels, dunno why

    guess I should try out a shottie infiltrator or something

    I want the m-99 saber. Probably as much as you want a good sniper rifle.

    Hey, outside of the N7 weapons that's the only ultra rare I'm missing! This is going a lot faster than I expected.
    I've bought one or two Spectre packs. Maybe I should start just getting those.

    Yeah. Got the Black Widow and Talon in two successive spectre packs.
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I was pleasantly surprised to learn that you can perform grab kills on Pyros. I assume Primes, Atlases, and Banshees are immune. How about brutes, ravagers, or phantoms?

    Same. No "boss" enemies can be grabbed.

    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    Kai Leng was Kai-lame.

  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    So one thing that bothered me about ME3.
    No major Thorian callback. I got an e-mail from Shiala that basically said that, "I think I'm still indoctrinated, but me and the Feros crew are still kicking Reaper ass because of what the Thorian did to us."

    ...

    WHY ARE WE NOT STUDYING THIS EFFECT? Indoctrination is one of the most powerful tools the Reapers have; it's way more important than their Thanix cannons. So hey, let's just not try to counter it. Just to be fair to the godlike genocide monsters.

    I really don't want to get back into the endgame fight, but they said that in certain builds, they had Shepard fighting indoctrination... the Thorian gave them an out.

    But the whole plot hook was just left hanging on the wall. One of my larger complaints. I wonder if Drew K had intended to use it that way.

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
Sign In or Register to comment.