Options

Democracy on the [chat]

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/04/02/one-derivatives-trade-thats-now-off-betting-on-the-2012-election/
    The Commodity Futures Trading Commission is poised this week to reject plans for so-called political event contracts, a lucrative derivative deal that would allow firms to wager on Congressional races as well as the presidential battle, the people briefed on the matter said. The agency is expected to decide, in part, that such trading amounts to gambling — and that it could unduly influence election results.

bah, sucks!

Isn't that what intrade is for?

Or most sports books. In Vegas you'll find a place to make a wager on just about anything.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Whomp! is a good comic you guys! I hope it continues this streak

Abdhyius wrote: »
    i saw 2 bald eagles when i went skiing last month

that was cool

they flew over the chairlift

i saw an eagle or maybe a falcon or something attack another bird mid-air one time

it was awesome

the one smaller bird was trying to get away and then the raptor grabbed him and they kind of just plummeted towards the ground together and at the last second the raptor pulled up and flew away with his (now dead) lunch

so at some point during the fall he killed his lunch i guess

Ice fucking cold.

there used to be a hawk that lived on campus, if you got lucky you got to see it kill and eat a pigeon, squirrel or rat

it was a cool hawk

it was called hawkmadinejad

named after the man who visited our campus and caused a stir

what was the man's name?

bob hawk

dont know him

Lincoln Hawk?

over_the_top.jpg

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/04/02/one-derivatives-trade-thats-now-off-betting-on-the-2012-election/
    The Commodity Futures Trading Commission is poised this week to reject plans for so-called political event contracts, a lucrative derivative deal that would allow firms to wager on Congressional races as well as the presidential battle, the people briefed on the matter said. The agency is expected to decide, in part, that such trading amounts to gambling — and that it could unduly influence election results.

bah, sucks!

Or most sports books. In Vegas you'll find a place to make a wager on just about anything.

Except this, of course

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i have found PA to be less funny lately but the one today

oh my god

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

oh my god

They're not exactly Redford and Newman.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ronya wrote: »
    I, uh, haven't actually watched Total Recall. I did read We Can Remember It For You Wholesale but I don't remember any focus on oxygen.

Total Recall is a very, very loose adaptation.

Very.

In Total Recall some business magnate has a monopoly over the equipment that produces oxygen. He uses this to extend and enforce his political power. He also owns access to alien technology that, when activated, will produce enough oxygen to make Mars inhabitable.
    It is not, I think, the same sense in which the SA D&Der conceptualizes the means of production (to which he has some specific idea of formal ownership of factories, etc.).

In the case of Stalinism, ownership of the factories belonged to the State and the workers acted similar to employees of the State.
    Aside from that, is it really the case that Marxist theory typically regards the impact of capital as being principally political? Have the economic theories here of Marx himself been generally discarded? Orthodox economics has, of course, its own understanding of the commons and sees enclosure as necessary.

What do you mean specifically by necessity and enclosure of the common?

Marxist theory has "evolved" so to speak. Lenin's answer was the NEP. Small scale entrepreneurship and trade were not only allowed, but encouraged. It was, however, strictly controlled and limited to town/region. There was no method of expandibility. Mao adopted the theory of "New Democracy". Kadar with "goulash Communism". Capital is principally political as anyone who has a monopoly on Capital holds power.
    I do not think that this distinction of personal and private property is sensible; any sufficiently low standard of "necessary" to exclude a bed mattress is not going to be high enough to include the house. It might grant you a heated room but not the building.

I agree. I think it's a hasty method to explain the turn that Eastern Europe made towards focusing on consumer goods instead of the majority of work for production of steel, oil, etc. Maoism distinctly rejected this turn (it was an undercurrent of the Sino Soviet split).

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Yessss

Those of you who recall my impassioned post on the double fine backers forum about why there should be a female main character:

The poll is now 249/215 in favor of female. I changed it into a 5 point lead!

Or, you know, that was going to happen anyway, but again, I would like to believe in the amazing mind changing power of my oratory.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Urgh. Teaching this evening. Stupid Latin grammar.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

oh my god

They're not exactly Redford and Newman.

i like that gabe was especially uncharitable in his self-interpretation

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Yessss

Those of you who recall my impassioned post on the double fine backers forum about why there should be a female main character:

The poll is now 249/215 in favor of female. I changed it into a 5 point lead!

Or, you know, that was going to happen anyway, but again, I would like to believe in the amazing mind changing power of my oratory.

I don't want a girl game winky

stop trying to get MLP: The Game made

• Options
    I think the concern over property relations can probably be better summed up than "personal" and "private".

The concept of "common entities" is also applied to television, music, forms of entertainment, etc. Largely on the basis that once something enters the lexicon/Zeitgeist of public consumption, the necessity for it's protection is less important compared to what society may or may not get out of it. Society itself decides how much of a monetary value exists on an item at some point. Popular Musician A may make $100,000 off a single song the week it releases but then it's pirated more than purchased. Since data can't be over produced and it can't exactly be destroyed, the dynamics change. An MP3 can't sit on the store shelf until it expires. An outlet will either return a physical item it for destruction if it can't sell it and I can't make a copy of it. If no one wants it, or it's out dated, then it's destroyed.

Data and information, obviously, are different. Piracy benefits it's creator in a manner of prevalence in society and it benefits society in other ways.

Where as the RIAA, DRM, etc do nothing but harm society in their attempts to destroy the concept of ownership.

I think old school Marxists would oppose the RIAA for both of these reasons, even though they are contradictory.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

bah, sucks!

Except this, of course

I know Wynn was pushing for regulation changes to allow for non-sporting events gambling. I know he got approval for the World Series of Poker and was looking to do the Oscars. I could have sworn this was one of his ideas.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    man eagles can be dicks sometimes

It being our national bird makes a lot of sense.

as a nation we are really good at being dicks

I am pretty sure it is our largest cultural export.

h8rs gonna h8

Way better than the turkey.

Just one of so many things that made Ben Franklin awesome.

The first documented occurrence of American Trolling.

A little known fact about Franklin: He once told Thomas Jefferson "Hey Tom, your mom loudly and forcefully declared independence at my place last night, like 5 times". Jefferson's response was not audible amid the general din of laughter at the 2nd Continental Congress.

• Options
    You know, maybe I should hold my tongue until the details start dropping about the game and there is a lot more shit-storm potential, but this double fine backers forum is actually probably one of the most civil and well-tempered forums I've seen on the internet so far. There's a lot of people who want to give a lot of input and not all of it is very good, but everyone seems very agreeable about it, and people keep trying to head off any nastiness with lots of "Hey, we don't get to make the game and shouldn't feel entitled, ect" but it doesn't seem like anyone disagrees with them and they're all really reasonable about it.

Like I said, though, once we see the first concept art we'll see if 30% of the posters suddenly feel disenfranchised and want their money back.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    had to present a paper to professor david nutt today

thought it would go shit

he was so pleased he said i could have got a phd for it

lulz

DA SIKNEZZ

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

thought it would go shit

lulz

DA SIKNEZZ

Could have.

BUT DIDN'T

back to the paper mines

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Also that new PA is really great.

Recently they have done a string of pretty excellent ones.

I thoroughly enjoy how they've gotten pretty creative with the format ala when they showed an event that took place in the past with Gabe's original art style.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sry bro u cnt bring me down

im da best

its just str8 fax

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    @ronya

Also, yeah, a large portion of Marxist economic theory has been discarded. The strict labor theory of value is out the door, especially with modern mechanization and the emphasis on the service and healthcare industry in this country.

That's not to mean that we shouldn't consider labor in regards to it's relation to profit, though.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

bah, sucks!

they're trying to securitize movies too you know

919UOwT.png
  • Options

thought it would go shit

lulz

DA SIKNEZZ

Neat!

Also how much do you know about ADHD/schizophrenia/antisocial disorder?
    Winky wrote: »
    Psychological disorder hypothesis time:

ADD without the H (ADHD-pi) is a more relaxed phenotypic expression of disorganized schizophrenia.

ADHD is actually a combination of genetic factors for disorganized schizophrenia and antisocial disorder.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    fml i am so tired

not only did i work until 9:00 yesterday

i couldnt sleep and only got like 2 solid hours
    your work/life balance blows

your blows
    when are you getting air freighted to England? My brother is going to start a tour in Dubai for 6 to 9 months and then maybe Singapore after that. I'm going to be taking care of his dog (Gus' sister) for an indeterminate amount of time. Hope they still get along. They used to have playdates but the last one would have been like 6 years ago. Gonna be a big change for both of them. anyhoo.

not sure when

my goal is to get into a more permanent situation with the g/f before that happens

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    EA up for the worst company in America 2012 versus Bank of America

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Gooey is coming to the UK? We'd better roll out the red carpet.

*unlocks basement, dusts off chains*

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    its just str8 fax

5fIzYgGUS7tUTJ9d0gmYqTOC4ZqW_Y7q-f2ncQQHpQxgUJVGPnskVL5bSNK6pQZXA2cwTTZShOa9f9wGBTSadMz9oXmnVm4HziDjcv3tJqfgY0mQ-Oiaky9Jg6z-NpPB0I05cRHygIGGAJNsGsAxAQHoh2YhPb_rvyEslmenO0PuFc44umAAudyOlIUvx3SqK7fkvg0

?

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    @Gooey you got the nod for Euro Action?

• Options
    Can we talk about how excellent ME2 was?

Because I just finished, and it was excellent.

• Options
    Whomp! is a good comic you guys! I hope it continues this streak

Abdhyius wrote: »
    i saw 2 bald eagles when i went skiing last month

that was cool

they flew over the chairlift

i saw an eagle or maybe a falcon or something attack another bird mid-air one time

it was awesome

the one smaller bird was trying to get away and then the raptor grabbed him and they kind of just plummeted towards the ground together and at the last second the raptor pulled up and flew away with his (now dead) lunch

so at some point during the fall he killed his lunch i guess

Ice fucking cold.

there used to be a hawk that lived on campus, if you got lucky you got to see it kill and eat a pigeon, squirrel or rat

it was a cool hawk

it was called hawkmadinejad

named after the man who visited our campus and caused a stir

what was the man's name?

bob hawk

dont know him

Lincoln Hawk?

over_the_top.jpg

but how would a hawk wear a backwards hat

scratch that

can you imagine how awesome a hawk wearing a backwards hat would be

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    fml i am so tired

not only did i work until 9:00 yesterday

i couldnt sleep and only got like 2 solid hours
    your work/life balance blows

your blows
    when are you getting air freighted to England? My brother is going to start a tour in Dubai for 6 to 9 months and then maybe Singapore after that. I'm going to be taking care of his dog (Gus' sister) for an indeterminate amount of time. Hope they still get along. They used to have playdates but the last one would have been like 6 years ago. Gonna be a big change for both of them. anyhoo.

not sure when

my goal is to get into a more permanent situation with the g/f before that happens

switch her birth control out with tic tacs.

• Options
    @Gooey you got the nod for Euro Action?

if I want it yeah

we are opening an office in London that is going to do Oil & Gas ibanking there and they are looking for dudes to populate it while they build up a local presence

919UOwT.png
  • Options

What did EA do?

• Options
    So the World of Darkness MMO is going to have Princes played by players who will be able to declare open season on other players leading to permadeath. Right, gonna need to start buying popcorn in bulk. Gooey, I want all of the popcorn futures as well.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So the World of Darkness MMO is going to have Princes played by players who will be able to declare open season on other players leading to permadeath. Right, gonna need to start buying popcorn in bulk. Gooey, I want all of the popcorn futures as well.
    Well a WoD MMO does need more drama than a conventional one.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

What did EA do?

Do you have a few hours?

• Options
    what is world of darkness

also mmo permadeath is aaaawesome

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Can we talk about how excellent ME2 was?

Because I just finished, and it was excellent.

yup, pretty good

although some parts of the plot weren't explained very well

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

The super goth Vampire LARPing RPG.

I think the most recent edition isn't actually bad mechanically compared to the earlier clusterfucks, but the userbase is still the bottom of the barrel.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Well a WoD MMO does need more drama than a conventional one.

I thought they pretty much fired everyone working on it, also, it's CCP so there's sure to be plenty of drama.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

The super goth Vampire LARPing RPG.

I think the most recent edition isn't actually bad mechanically compared to the earlier clusterfucks, but the userbase is still the bottom of the barrel.

is it even more goth than VtM?

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.