Options

NHL Thread: Can Lidstrom Unretire? Please?

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Paving the way for the eventual Seattle Blue Jackets, I'm hoping.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm not saying it was rigged or anything, that's silly. I hate that the Oilers have been "rebuilding" for so long with absolutely nothing to show for it. Them getting the first pick 3 years running is a great way of ensuring that all the other teams circling the bottom with them will be there long after they've actually started to do something with their top picks. First pick should just be the worst team, no draft.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Maybe with their 3rd consecutive first overall pick, the Oilers can at least move up into 3rd worst team in the NHL next year.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Montreal might put up a bitter fight for it

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Edmonton makes a pretty solid case for why we should relegate consistently bad teams to the minors instead of rewarding them with draft picks.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SammyF wrote: »
    Edmonton makes a pretty solid case for why we should relegate consistently bad teams to the minors instead of rewarding them with draft picks.

I think it'd be great if the NHL worked out a deal with some of the other leagues to form a Premier League type system.

It'd make annual chaos when it came to divisions, though.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

I think it'd be great if the NHL worked out a deal with some of the other leagues to form a Premier League type system.

Relegation/Promotion systems just don't make sense in North American sports leagues with the value of franchises.

Also, in the NHL when the AHL is the minor league feeder system with the bulk of the players belonging to NHL clubs already, it just wouldn't happen.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

The team is staying in Columbus until at least 2039. You really want to wait that long?

Also, if anyone was not convinced that the hockey gods hate the Blue Jackets it should be painfully obvious now.

PICKS!!

West
    Canucks over Kings in 6
    Blues over Sharks in 5
    Blackhawks over 'Yotes in 7
    Preds over Red Wings in 6

Canucks over Blackhawks in 7
    Preds over Blues in 7

Canucks over Preds in 7

East
    Rangers over Sens in 6
    Bruins over Caps in 7
    Devils over Panthers in 5
    Flyers over Pens in 7

Rangers over Flyers in 6
    Bruins over Devils in 6

Rangers over Bruins in 7

Final:
    '94 all over again.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    The degree of butthurt in here is palpable.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    Alright.

Stupid picks;

LA in 6
    St Louis in 7
    Phoenix in 6
    Nashville in 7

St Louis over LA in 6
    Nashville over Phoenix in 5

Nashville over St Louis in 6

New York in 6
    Boston in 5
    New Jersey in 6
    Pittsburgh in 6

New York over Jersey in 5
    Pittsburgh over Boston in 6

Pittsburgh over New York in 7

Pittsburgh over Nashville in 6.

• Options
    MindshockMindshock Registered User regular
    Lots of Nashville losing to Pens in the final. I don't think it'll go down that way, but IF the Preds make it out of the west, I can't see them losing to the Pens. Not unless MAF pulls a Thomas.

• Options
    Eh. They only played once this season and Nashville got their asses thoroughly handed to them and it was a pretty recent game.

Plus Nashville doesn't have a ton of play off experience.

Also, lots of pens fans in this thread.

Woo

• Options
    Got my whiteout shirt, going to the arena tomorrow. Gonna try to get a rush ticket, if not, just gonna watch outside on the big screen, can't wait.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Edmonton's problem is their drafting. They get 3 first overall picks now and it wouldn't surprise me if they went and drafted Yakupov for another forward, they should get one of those high rated defencemen because their defence is shitty. Tambellini doesn't know what the hell to do in the later rounds which is why their players past the first round don't tend to turn out very good.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Last minute predictions:
    LAK - VAN: VAN in 5
    SJS - STL: STL in 5
    CHI - PHX: PHX in 7
    DET - NSH: DET in 6

OTT - NYR: OTT in 6
    WSH - BOS: BOS in 4
    NJD - FLA: NJD in 5
    PHI - PIT: PHI in 6

VAN - PHX: VAN in 6
    STL - DET: STL in 7

OTT - NJD : NJD in 6
    BOS - PHI: BOS in 7

VAN - STL: STL in 7
    NJD - BOS: BOS in 5

STL - BOS: BOS in 6

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Got my whiteout shirt, going to the arena tomorrow. Gonna try to get a rush ticket, if not, just gonna watch outside on the big screen, can't wait.

Whiteouts are horrendously stupid now since the home team doesn't wear white anymore.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Obligatory homer pick:
    Eastern Conference:
    Pittsburgh over Philly in 6
    Boston over Washington in 5
    New Jersey over Florida in 4
    New York over Ottawa in 6

New York over New Jersey in 6
    Pittsburgh over Boston in 6

Pittsburgh over New York in 6

Western Conference:
    Vancouver over LA in 6
    San Jose over St. Louis in 7
    Chicago over Phoenix in 5
    Detroit over Nashville in 7

Vancouver over San Jose in 5
    Detroit over Blackhawks in 6

Detroit over Vancouver in 7

Pittsburgh over Detroit in 7

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Western Conference first round
    (8) Los Angeles Kings vs (1) Vancouver Canucks :: Vancouver in 5 games
    (7) San Jose Sharks vs (2) St. Louis Blues :: Blues in 4
    (6) Chicago Blackhawks vs. (3) Phoenix Coyotes :: Blackhawks in 7
    (5) Detroit Red Wings vs. (4) Nashville Predators :: Preds in 6

Rd2
    Canucks vs Blackhawks :: Canucks in 5
    Blues vs Predators :: Predators in 7

CF
    Canucks vs Predators :: Canucks in 6

Eastern Conference first round
    (8) Ottawa Senators vs (1) New York Rangers ::Rangers in 5
    (7) Washington Capitals vs (2) Boston Bruins :: Bruins in 7
    (6) New Jersey Devils vs. (3) Florida Panthers :: Devils in 6
    (5) Philadelphia Flyers vs (4) Pittsburgh Penguins :: Pens in 7

RD2
    Rangers vs Devils :: Devils in 7
    Bruins vs Pens :: Bruins in 6

CF
    Devils vs Bruins :: Devils in 7

Stanley cup final
    Canucks vs Devils = Canucks in 6

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Devils?

Huh, that's a new one.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Indeed. Brodeur's last stand!

Stupid trivia: who's second on the Devils' all-time wins list, and how many fewer wins than Brodeur does he have?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I just saw that stat last week during the Wings game too! I forget the name, but he only had like 130 wins compared to Brodeur's 650ish

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Whiteouts are horrendously stupid now since the home team doesn't wear white anymore.

You've gotta admit it looks cool though.

• Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    Wow, there sure is a lot of Penguin fans in here. Not talking about the picks, just the overall ratio of Pens fans to everyone else seems pretty remarkable.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Relegation/Promotion systems just don't make sense in North American sports leagues with the value of franchises.

Also, in the NHL when the AHL is the minor league feeder system with the bulk of the players belonging to NHL clubs already, it just wouldn't happen.

It would definitely change how the franchises are valued in a way that would be academically interesting. I was being facetious, though -- the feeder league system makes it basically impossible in hockey. Or baseball, for that matter.

You could probably get it working in the NFL or NBA, though! How great would that be? If you never had to hear about the Washington Redskins or the Buffalo Bills ever again?

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Rei wrote: »
    Wow, there sure is a lot of Penguin fans in here. Not talking about the picks, just the overall ratio of Pens fans to everyone else seems pretty remarkable.

They He is just louder than anyone else.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I think it would make a lot of sense for the Oilers to trade that #1 pick this year. It's not a particularly good year for the draft, and if they could get a later first round pick and maybe a good young defenseman or goaltender from...well I have no idea what teams they might be able to trade with, but they should look into every possibility. But if they did that then they could start to be really good next year.

• Options

No, we pretty handidly outnumber otherteam fan bases in here.

There's like 3-4 sharks fans, 2-3 detroit fans, 2 avalanche fans, a bunch of vancouver fans (probably the 2nd biggest group in here) and like 8 pens fans.

I blame it all on you guys last season making me do a call out for Pens fans because.....something.

I don't even remember why it came up.

Something about how I was the only pens fan in the thread and you guys disliking me talking about the penguins.

• Options
    There's really very few Eastern fans in here, a couple of Flyer fans, a couple of Leafs fans, a couple of Caps fans that show up around this time of year, a Boston fan or two and I think we have one Lightning fan. Interesting distribution.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    shalmelo wrote: »

The team is staying in Columbus until at least 2039. You really want to wait that long?

Also, if anyone was not convinced that the hockey gods hate the Blue Jackets it should be painfully obvious now.

PICKS!!

West
    Canucks over Kings in 6
    Blues over Sharks in 5
    Blackhawks over 'Yotes in 7
    Preds over Red Wings in 6

Canucks over Blackhawks in 7
    Preds over Blues in 7

Canucks over Preds in 7

East
    Rangers over Sens in 6
    Bruins over Caps in 7
    Devils over Panthers in 5
    Flyers over Pens in 7

Rangers over Flyers in 6
    Bruins over Devils in 6

Rangers over Bruins in 7
    Final:
    '94 all over again.

*Shudder*

Game 7 made me the bitter Canuck "fan" I am today.

• Options
    Daniel Sedin is out for game 1

• Options
    Puck Headlines on Puck Daddy are so weird sometimes.
    Turkmenistan president Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov has ordered his officials to establish ice hockey teams

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/11/turkmenistan-leader-set-on-ice-hockey-glory

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

There's like 3-4 sharks fans, 2-3 detroit fans, 2 avalanche fans, a bunch of vancouver fans (probably the 2nd biggest group in here) and like 8 pens fans.

I blame it all on you guys last season making me do a call out for Pens fans because.....something.

Something about how I was the only pens fan in the thread and you guys disliking me talking about the penguins.

Yeah, I remember that conversation and I chimed in that I'm a lurking Pens fan. Born in the 'burgh, and the Pens first cup run was when I was 6 or 7, just coming into that "pay attention to sports" age, and I've been hooked ever since. I just don't have the means to watch games anymore, so I tend to be a more passive follower instead of keeping up on things.

No idea where all these other guys came from ;)

• Options

Tonights game is on NBC Sports Network. Are they even going to have the big screen up?

• Options
    Born and raised in Pittsburgh, one of my first memories is watching the Pens win the cup in '91. Only been posting for about a year and a half though.

Pensblog has photoshopped Flyers players onto zoo animals' faces.

• Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Tonights game is on NBC Sports Network. Are they even going to have the big screen up?

Yeah it's up though with today's shitty weather idk how many people will be there. I think when it's on NBC proper is when there's an issue.

I'm also a Pittsburgh resident and Pens fan. I lurk this thread all the time but I don't really post much.

Vesty on
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

We did have 3 Avs fans, but I haven't seen Deadfall around in a while.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Pretty sure I'm the lone Hawks fan. Feel like there are a ton of fans of Ginger Flavored Choke, then again one is too many, and I don't know how much they can post from the police designated community watching areas. Or the death camps they've been sent to by the NHL as part of its conspiracy against Vancouver.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Vesty wrote: »

Yeah it's up though with today's shitty weather idk how many people will be there. I think when it's on NBC proper is when there's an issue.

I'm also a Pittsburgh resident and Pens fan. I lurk this thread all the time but I don't really post much.

A note on penguins.nhl.com says ALL games will be on the big screen this year, so no more worries about that.

• Options
    Playoff hockey is almost here, the best time of the year. I've started a tradition of taking vacation during this first week of playoff madness ( I work evenings), great to just sit down with some beers and flip through hours of hockey.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sacco gets a two-year extension.

*facepalm*