Options

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Sampsen wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I still can only barely wrap my head around the idea that Shurelya's/Aegis Olaf is the 'best' build for him. Not even that tanky, only an E dispenser, but it pretty much leaves out his AS bonus and his good Undertow.

Olaf still has a less than 50% win rate overall, and my guess is because people do stupid shit like building Shurelya's and Aegis on him. I don't mind it at all actually, because I still win 60-70% of my games with him doing my old build, and stupid builds mean he won't ever get nerfed.
    It's apparently the tournament build. No one batted an eye when HSGG did it. I think Bethryn was on here explaining the logic.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    oh man hat

we need to get arivia ume and sampsen in a game

i will play supportlaf

you will stay in bottom lane forever leaching xp

we will do whatever it is that annoys arivia

the sheer amount of canadian rage will be staggeringly tame

Lose ChaosHat, and take me. I'll dual-support-Veigar bottom with your Supportlaf.

no you see

the trick is to build supportlaf top lane

zekes shurelyas randuins mogs mogs mogs

this enrages the sampsen

Oh, I was talking about infuriating Umesys again. Now I know the secret to pissing him off, and it begins with "Support" and ends with "Veigar"

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    speaking of statistics

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/syvaa/a_condensed_statistical_analysis_of_2k_elo/

kind of a fun read if you're into numbers - olaf is at 51.81% win rate at 2k+ ELO

rumble has the highest win rate on NA servers and EUW servers

The win percentages are really not what you'd think though. All but 5 champions have a 50+% win rate. This is because apparently the guy somehow looked up the high elo players ranked stats. Since high elo players had to win a lot more than they lost to get to high elo in the first place, almost every champion has more wins than losses. Olaf is ranked 86th out of 96 champions on that list. Highest is Rumble with a 61.74% win rate and lowest is Eve with 34.50%.

I'm not sure what those stats are good for really.

• Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    I think a lot of tournament players build Shurelia's + Randuin's on Olaf from Philo + Heart of Gold.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    in tournament settings the sheer lack of aggression makes it difficult to really shut down another carry (hence why mf is good but never played in tournaments) so youre always going to have a farmed carry on the other team if the game isnt a total stomp

this is why you buy randuins
    nothing to do with olaf really

olaf in team fights without ghost is shit
    olaf scales with health and cdr
    olaf likes philo
    shurelyas gives ghost health cdr and builds off of philo

max cdr olaf has instant undertows
    two and a half second swings
    almost full uptime on his health scaling ad buff

mogs give 12ad and stack well with olafs ult
    olaf needs defenses to be an autoattacker

supportlaf is excellent at fatting around tanking towers
    is an excellent poker with his undertows
    has more up time than carrylaf

to each his own

• Options
    ZeroZedZeroZeroZedZero Registered User regular
    Free pony rides! Mallet+trinforce LEGIT HECARIM JUNGLE BUILD!
    heca5514.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Come watch me on my stream : http://www.own3d.tv/ZeroZedZero
  • Options
    ZeroZedZeroZeroZedZero Registered User regular
    Going to do it again. This time streaming it, so I can actually fail like I'm supposed to this time. http://www.own3d.tv/live/246159

steam_sig.png
    Come watch me on my stream : http://www.own3d.tv/ZeroZedZero
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I've been watching horror movies for three hours, I think I might be ready for the horrors of solo queue now.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Arivia wrote: »
    I've been watching horror movies for three hours, I think I might be ready for the horrors of solo queue now.

first champ select, last pick: "MID OR I FEED"

nope

gonna go back to watching Milo Ventimiglia get a pencil stabbed in his ear

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I kind of want to do team FUCK YOU YOU AIN'T GOING NOWHERE

Can't find it now, but there's a video of a troll team full of champs that can move people around. I think they knocked some poor sap all the way from the inhibitor turret to the fountain and had it kill the guy.

• Options
    yes, ryze, there may be extenuating circumstances if I got left alone against graves and one crack janna as trist just when hitting the "midgame and I kinda suck for 10 minutes" point.

especially with support maokai after shyv fucked over our champ select.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    You know, I think the EU servers genuinely have nicer people on them than the NA ones.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I blame it on the Americans! Should have just stayed a colony like everyone else...

• Options
    So. On costs being reflective of complexity.

Do people really think that Ashe and Sivir are easier to play than Graves and Caitlyn? Most of the other carries have some complexity to them, but Graves and Cait seemed simple to play, tricky to master, while Ashe (being slightly weaker than other carries outside of her ult) and Sivir (being short ranged and skill-shot dependent for her good early damage) seemed more difficult to play to me.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Talking about Ashe being complicated, I just landed my favourite arrow so far: our top and jungle get into a small skirmish in the top river against their top. Cass, our mid, goes to help as she notices their mid TF is missing. I throw an arrow too just to ensure the kill...and nail both TF just having completed his teleport, but the stealthed jungle Twitch right next to him. Cue a double for Cass.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kay wrote: »

Do people really think that Ashe and Sivir are easier to play than Graves and Caitlyn? Most of the other carries have some complexity to them, but Graves and Cait seemed simple to play, tricky to master, while Ashe (being slightly weaker than other carries outside of her ult) and Sivir (being short ranged and skill-shot dependent for her good early damage) seemed more difficult to play to me.

Prior to the repeated revamps and the meta turning against pushing, playing Sivir was as easy as breathing. Now she is substantially harder than pretty much all similar options except maybe Urgot to play well.

Ashe is still easy because of the sheer quantity of passives she's got; if you don't get weird with arrows she's not hard at all. That she's tough to play well is, as with Sivir, more reflective of where the game's gone since release than the inherent difficulty of the champion. In her case it's the fact that a gap-closer is now part of the design process for champions for some reason.

Just so that my thesis here is clear: I think if they released the game now, Graves and Caitlin would be the debut ranged carries, Sivir wouldn't be in it, and Ashe would be 1350.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular

Now I haven't played very long but when I play Ashe, I feel like she has two real styles. Gank Starter with all her slow effects and Last Hit Thief with her ult and her spread shots. I like her better than Graves because her skills have a longer range then his.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Prior to the repeated revamps and the meta turning against pushing, playing Sivir was as easy as breathing. Now she is substantially harder than pretty much all similar options except maybe Urgot to play well.

Ashe is still easy because of the sheer quantity of passives she's got; if you don't get weird with arrows she's not hard at all. That she's tough to play well is, as with Sivir, more reflective of where the game's gone since release than the inherent difficulty of the champion. In her case it's the fact that a gap-closer is now part of the design process for champions for some reason.

Just so that my thesis here is clear: I think if they released the game now, Graves and Caitlin would be the debut ranged carries, Sivir wouldn't be in it, and Ashe would be 1350.
    When you say 'all similar options' with regards to Sivir, what options would they be? To me, she's a good AD carry in some situations, and terrible in others. For example, she's enough of a bully to push Caitlyn out of lane (or at least stick around) thanks to her Spellshield making Piltover harass, cupcakes, and Cait-ult a non-issue. She should also beat Urgot (an anti-carry, I know, but hey) by shielding his grenades to avoid the lock-on harass that follows, she's good to take against Blitz thanks to his slow Rocket Punch (but not so much Leona, who has a faster hook and then more CC to follow up with) or Nunu with his Ice Balls that also travel slowly. Then, pair her up with someone with a stun or root like Leona or Taric, and her double-boomerang-blade followed up with aa-Ricochet-aa is enough to ruin anyone's day - similar to Graves' role as an AD-burst caster early on.

Also, Sivir paired up with Taric makes for INSANE tower-crushing power, especially if Sivir takes the +10 damage to towers mastery. Her ult and his ult together is mindboggling powerful - great for taking Baron/Dragon too.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I think the main problem that Ashe has, in terms of difficulty, is her total lack of escapes. If she's caught out of position, she's dead, and that's incredibly unforgiving when you're new to either the game or the role. The only other AD carry who shares that problem is Kog, and his damage output and late-game range completely outshadow Ashe's. And Miss Fortune, I guess, but I rarely see her, so...

Varus sounds like he's going to suffer from the same issue, which is making me slightly hesitant about dropping the 6k IP on him.

• Options
    At least all the Champions you mentioned have slows that they can use, though some are easier to use than others.

None of them will stop a gap-closer, though.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    When you say 'all similar options' with regards to Sivir, what options would they be? To me, she's a good AD carry in some situations, and terrible in others. For example, she's enough of a bully to push Caitlyn out of lane (or at least stick around) thanks to her Spellshield making Piltover harass, cupcakes, and Cait-ult a non-issue. She should also beat Urgot (an anti-carry, I know, but hey) by shielding his grenades to avoid the lock-on harass that follows, she's good to take against Blitz thanks to his slow Rocket Punch (but not so much Leona, who has a faster hook and then more CC to follow up with) or Nunu with his Ice Balls that also travel slowly. Then, pair her up with someone with a stun or root like Leona or Taric, and her double-boomerang-blade followed up with aa-Ricochet-aa is enough to ruin anyone's day - similar to Graves' role as an AD-burst caster early on.

Also, Sivir paired up with Taric makes for INSANE tower-crushing power, especially if Sivir takes the +10 damage to towers mastery. Her ult and his ult together is mindboggling powerful - great for taking Baron/Dragon too.

You'll notice that with the possible exception of Corki, because he requires you to press many buttons and aim stuff, that's the most complicated process you can articulate for a ranged champion and conditional upon who's on the other team. Graves and Caitlin work on everyone and your plans change only a little.

To wit, here is Graves' entire process on a chart:
    GravesChart.jpg

I seem to have left out an arrow connecting the laning phase to the late game, but that's otherwise correct. There's some shorthand in there - I left out things like using Quickdraw at the last second to dodge skillshots and infuriate people, for example - but it will work in every game you play with him. One for the current incarnation of Sivir involves a lot of decisions and mind-reading.

Also note: I really loved the old Sivir and am a tad bitter that she now has a learning wall. You do still get results with her on the other side of it.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    I think the main problem that Ashe has, in terms of difficulty, is her total lack of escapes. If she's caught out of position, she's dead, and that's incredibly unforgiving when you're new to either the game or the role. The only other AD carry who shares that problem is Kog, and his damage output and late-game range completely outshadow Ashe's. And Miss Fortune, I guess, but I rarely see her, so...

Varus sounds like he's going to suffer from the same issue, which is making me slightly hesitant about dropping the 6k IP on him.

Miss Fortune has no escapes but is ridiculous-good at zoning once you learn her; it's an acceptable tradeoff. Kog has a little of that going on with his ooze but it's just not the same. That said, don't pick her unless your team has champions capable of peeling or intercepting dudes.

• Options
    I think this 'lack of complexity' with carries is why I shy away from characters like Caitlyn, and enjoy ones like Sivir.

My most played AD Carries are: Sivir, Ezreal, Kog'maw.

I'm making myself learn Graves and Corki however. I should try Vayne again now that I'm no longer (absolutely) terrible. I'm finding that revisiting champs I abandoned as useless is interesting now, in that I can actually do something useful with them. Early in my lawl-playing, I'd play (old) Sivir, Singed, Malphite, Blitz. I didn't play any AP Carries because I just couldn't get results out of them, until I made myself try Swain and Kennen, who I liked. Then I went back to Ryze, and was shocked at how awesome he seemed, with no changes other than me being better at the game. Kassadin was another I couldn't get anything out of, I should try him again. Though he is pretty much always banned in draft at my level. I should give Annie a chance again too, but there are so many APs I love. Swain, Kennen, Ryze, Ahri and Viktor primarily. I really liked Lux too, but I'm told she's not so hot as an AP Mid.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Miss Fortune has no escapes. Ashe has a stun, a slow and can kite.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    I think this 'lack of complexity' with carries is why I shy away from characters like Caitlyn, and enjoy ones like Sivir.

Yeah, the devil is completely in the details with Caitlyn, rather than right up front. I didn't think I was doing well at all early on in that game Harg posted the scoreboard for to show off his Super Ace with Soraka. I wasn't last-hitting every single creep since I had lost the timing on her auto-attack and failed to double-tap with Pilt several times; I ended up with one of the highest CS I've ever had anyhow, which is a testament to the rest of that team as much as it is me. When I'm playing a carry, I find stuff like that keeps me so busy that I'd rather not also have to worry about aiming my rockets or when to spellshield. Your mileage may vary; I really enjoy Riven, who is probably busier than any of the ADs.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    oh man hat

we need to get arivia ume and sampsen in a game

i will play supportlaf

you will stay in bottom lane forever leaching xp

we will do whatever it is that annoys arivia

the sheer amount of canadian rage will be staggeringly tame

Lose ChaosHat, and take me. I'll dual-support-Veigar bottom with your Supportlaf.

no you see

the trick is to build supportlaf top lane

zekes shurelyas randuins mogs mogs mogs

this enrages the sampsen

Oh, I was talking about infuriating Umesys again. Now I know the secret to pissing him off, and it begins with "Support" and ends with "Veigar"

I think it begins with "Hargaad" and ends with "Omnar."

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    In anticipation of New and Improved Ryze I unlocked the Dark Crystal skin last night. Also picked up Cassio on sale.

• Options
    @Auralynx: How is there a learning wall for Sivir? I'm interested because I'm probably going to be practicing her fairly soon.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012

You'll notice that with the possible exception of Corki, because he requires you to press many buttons and aim stuff, that's the most complicated process you can articulate for a ranged champion and conditional upon who's on the other team. Graves and Caitlin work on everyone and your plans change only a little.

To wit, here is Graves' entire process on a chart:

I seem to have left out an arrow connecting the laning phase to the late game, but that's otherwise correct. There's some shorthand in there - I left out things like using Quickdraw at the last second to dodge skillshots and infuriate people, for example - but it will work in every game you play with him. One for the current incarnation of Sivir involves a lot of decisions and mind-reading.

Also note: I really loved the old Sivir and am a tad bitter that she now has a learning wall. You do still get results with her on the other side of it.

You made this chart? I'm pretty sure it's possible to make a flowchart this simplistic for pretty much every character. Your chart is essentially "farm and carry" which...yeah is a pretty great flowchart. You even mention you leaving out more complicated parts of his play. Let's make a Morgana flow chart!
    Pick Morgana -> Farm in absolute safety -> Be ungankable and unkillable while also being able to easily murder your lane opponent -> Walk into enemy team and win game.

I have another, completely unique chart for Ahri.
    Pick Morgana Ahri -> Farm in absolute safety -> Be ungankable and unkillable while also being able to easily murder your lane opponent -> Walk into enemy team and win game.

Like your chart is complaining that Graves' game comes down to farming and carrying. He's an AD carry. Of course. Your chart works for Sivir too if you change the instances of "shoot" to "toss boomerangs" and if your getting ganked section made more references to the shield that absorbs all abilities and an ult/passive that increases your movespeed.

Yeah, most characters have different difficulty levels to play, but that spectrum is not broad in the AD carry area no matter who.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    @Auralynx: How is there a learning wall for Sivir? I'm interested because I'm probably going to be practicing her fairly soon.

I'm being a little hyperbolic. That said, they're giving you an ostensibly-easy champion who used to have about the same range as other carries, but now has a shorter one. Ricochet used to be a toggle, now you have to choose when to use it (plus side, it has bonus damage on it now, which guides the choice). You've got a spell-shield that restores mana, and not only do you have to figure out when to use it, you HAVE to use it if you want to harrass effectively, because Boomerang Blade's cost is still predicated on the theory that you're building a mana-regen item. Boomerang Blade is moderately difficult to hit with because it moves slowly and can get you into as much trouble as Piltover Peacemaker if you're using it indiscriminately.

Oh, and your whole kit is set up to help you push lanes. Pushing R Bad, per halfwit meta.

Compare this to Tristana's never-yet-altered "Push W to get away or smoke a guy," or Caitlyn's "Stand out of range of them to begin with, and have abilities to keep it that way," set-ups and it starts to look a little suspicious.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    So, last night in my second ranked game ever, I went 3/3/2 by around the 25 minute mark. While I'm aware that that's not, you know, great, is it really worthy of being told to never ever play AD carry ever again?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    So, last night in my second ranked game ever, I went 3/3/2 by around the 25 minute mark. While I'm aware that that's not, you know, great, is it really worthy of being told to never ever play AD carry ever again?

Gosh you should just uninstall the game.

LoL has the BEST community.

I saw that Riot released some new LoL shirts. This is one of them. I laughed out loud. Nothing that polite has ever been said at the beginning of a LoL game. I think they stole a Starcraft shirt.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    You made this chart? I'm pretty sure it's possible to make a flowchart this simplistic for pretty much every character. Your chart is essentially "farm and carry" which...yeah is a pretty great flowchart. You even mention you leaving out more complicated parts of his play. Let's make a Morgana flow chart!

That'sthejoke.jpg? It's a little more refined than the old Karthus "Push Q. If an enemy champion is low, Push R" chart, but that is sort of my point. I glossed to avoid having an enormously complicated poster-sized thing, not because there isn't some work in the execution.

The work in the execution is right up front with the current design of Sivir.

• Options

I'm being a little hyperbolic. That said, they're giving you an ostensibly-easy champion who used to have about the same range as other carries, but now has a shorter one.
    Maybe it was different at launch, but Sivir got her range BUFFED in the rework. I remember being really, really happy about that change. She used to have TERRIBLE range on her auto-attacks.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Maybe it was different at launch, but Sivir got her range BUFFED in the rework. I remember being really, really happy about that change. She used to have TERRIBLE range on her auto-attacks.

Yeah, my possibly-flawed recollection is that the cycle was drastically reducing her range, then giving some of it back later on.

Auralynx on
  • Options

That'sthejoke.jpg? It's a little more refined than the old Karthus "Push Q. If an enemy champion is low, Push R" chart, but that is sort of my point. I glossed to avoid having an enormously complicated poster-sized thing, not because there isn't some work in the execution.

The work in the execution is right up front with the current design of Sivir.

Sorry, it just sounded like you were complaining how easy Graves is to play while lamenting how difficult it is for Sivir. If that's not the case I apologize. Well whatever form apologizing as Hat takes.

• Options
    Sorry, it just sounded like you were complaining how easy Graves is to play while lamenting how difficult it is for Sivir. If that's not the case I apologize. Well whatever form apologizing as Hat takes.

Yeah, you misread my tone. I think it's great that the easy stuff on Graves takes care of itself. It leaves me more or less free to concentrate on the stuff that's not on that chart, like outlasting enemy bruisers while kiting with Quickdraw and some help. I think it is silly that - per examples in my response to Arivia - a Sivir player is required to concentrate on what should be the easy stuff. Some folks seem to find that fun, though.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Gosh you should just uninstall the game.

LoL has the BEST community.

I saw that Riot released some new LoL shirts. This is one of them. I laughed out loud. Nothing that polite has ever been said at the beginning of a LoL game. I think they stole a Starcraft shirt.

Aw that's not true I say that a lot in the beginning of games to the enemy.

Then they respond with "Get Bent" or "LOLNUB"

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    In anticipation of New and Improved Ryze I unlocked the Dark Crystal skin last night. Also picked up Cassio on sale.

Wut?

What are they doing to Ryze?

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I've seen some glhf's often enough, without spite.

It's the endgame discourse that is usually silly. :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.