Options

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My guild currently uses DKP for 25-mans, and I have to say that I don't much care for it. A select few healers in the guild (a single Paladin specifically) always top the DKP charts, no matter how many hundreds they blow on stuff, simply due to the fact that they turn around and supply the guild bank with mats for crafting in exchange for DKP. With my raider being Tailoring/Enchanting, there's not really anything I can turn in for DKP aside from Primals that:

a.) I need to use, and
    b.) the guild bank already has far too many of

If only you got DKP for enchanting people with your own mats... :|

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I've been leveling my priest by piling on every little bit of spirit I can. I'm 33 so far and this has worked well giving me no downtime. However now I'm getting to the level where +damage gear starts to become available. Do you think I should start sacrificing spirit for +damage, or try and get some balance, or stick with pure spirit?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    My guild currently uses DKP for 25-mans, and I have to say that I don't much care for it. A select few healers in the guild (a single Paladin specifically) always top the DKP charts, no matter how many hundreds they blow on stuff, simply due to the fact that they turn around and supply the guild bank with mats for crafting in exchange for DKP. With my raider being Tailoring/Enchanting, there's not really anything I can turn in for DKP aside from Primals that:

a.) I need to use, and

See the big words, that right there was when I smacked my forhead with my hand. Your DKP is totally unfair. And the people who made the decision to allow something like that are hurting your guild.

People should be making donations to the guild because they want to support the guild, and because they want to help the guild advance, not because it gives them more DKP then anyone else.

Seg on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rewarding people for dumping the results of their farming into the guild is a good idea, but it shouldn't allow people to completely eclipse the effort put on an actual raid, since that's what DKP was meant to measure.

One guild I was in only awarded dkp to the person who donated the most of a particular item to the guild, and it gave them a raid's worth of dkp. It seemed to work okay. Members were pretty level headed though and didn't let the competition go to their head and cause drama.

xzzy on
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My first raiding guild had a donation cap on (I think) a weekly basis, which was equivalent to about quarter of a weapon. This ensured that if two people went toe-to-toe over a certain item then the giver would win; it also prevent DKP inflation.

I don't remember there being issues with that, cept that I never donated and lost a few times :P

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

a.) I need to use, and

I've been in the same boat! Too often this favors herbalists/alchemists as our guild all but demands people pot up for raids. You might as well offer a gold/DKP exchange rate as well, for crying out loud. What's to keep someone from buying stuff on the AH and turning in for dkp? Nothing. The people with that particular gathering/crafting skill just have it easier than those that don't.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scroffus wrote: »
    So I've been leveling my priest by piling on every little bit of spirit I can. I'm 33 so far and this has worked well giving me no downtime. However now I'm getting to the level where +damage gear starts to become available. Do you think I should start sacrificing spirit for +damage, or try and get some balance, or stick with pure spirit?

Go with +damage, then spirit.

And about gearing up shadow priests: Do not go with pvp gear. I can't stress this enough. It's a really, really bad idea. They did a great job with itemizing pvp gear and that is: Stamina and resilience, and lots of it. Damage is a after-note on most gear. It's a waste of time for you to grind that out and a waste of money to socket all +damage (Which is what your sockets should have for pve gear).

Non tailoring, non raiding, non heroic loot list:

Spellstrike Hood with +damage Sha'tar spell damage enchant OR Mana-etched Crown socket with +damage
    Natasha's Arcane Filament
    Spaulders of Oblivion socketed with +damage and enchanted with +damage
    Cloak of the Black Void - Put spell penetration on it
    Robe of Oblivion with +damage, or Warp-infused Drape if you need the +hit, enchant with 6 mana/5
    Bracers of Havok - Socket with 9 damage, enchant with 15 spell damage
    Jadenfire Gloves of Anhilation or Energis Handwraps put 20 spell damage, or 20 shadow damage if you have the mats laying around
    Sash of Serpentra - First boss of Steamvaults
    Spellstrike pants - Socket with +damage, put an epic spellthread on there if you know someone who can make it OR the pants from Botanica or Blackmorass, throw +damage in all three slots and put the non-epic spellthread on em
    Shat Jumpers with +damage gems and vitality

Rings:
    Exalted scryer ring if possible
    Spirit Shard Ring
    Epic PVP ring (Don't put too much effort into grinding this out, if your focus is PVE you'll be getting a comparable ring very soon)
    Ashyen's Gift (Exalted with CE)
    Khorium Band of Shadows - Crafted BoE blue, get one.
    Evoker's Mark of Redemption
    Manastorm Band

Trinkets:
    Revered with Shatar
    Revered with Scryer
    Living Ruby JC Trinket
    Mark of Defiance (HFP PvP)
    Oculus of the Hidden Eye - Regular Crypts

Weapon:
    Arena Season 2 dagger (One of the best daggers in the game for shadow priests, has +hit!)
    Exalted with LC
    Arena season 1 dagger
    PVP Blue Dagger
    Runesong Dagger - Shattered Halls

Remember on pvp items: Don't stress getting them if your focus is purely pvp, most of them can be replaced soon.

Off-hand:

The Saga of Terokk
    Star-Heart Lamp

There you go, I gave you a few choices on some items, if you need alternatives on others just ask.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the Off-Hand you should get the +Shadow Damage/Stam one from heroic badges.

padmeamanda on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The stipulation of the whole list was: Non tailoring, non heroic, non raiding items. But yes, if you get the chance get that off hand!

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The stipulation of the whole list was: Non tailoring, non heroic, non raiding items. But yes, if you get the chance get that off hand!

Ah, silly me.

But seriously, that's like really easy to get. Heroics aren't hard once you get your other gear. You should be able to get into a heroic as easily as a 5-man these days, even PUGs. I'm on a low-pop server and I get tells for 5-mans all the time.

Just run Heroic Slave Pens a few times to get enough badges for the off-hand. It's one of the cheapest items and SO much better than the Star-Heart lamp.

padmeamanda on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    What chant do you guys put on your robe as spriests?

I have +6 all stats slapped on there but I'm not really sure that's the best way to go.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    6 mana/5, definitely.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    6 MP5 easy

Plutonium on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    6 mana/5, definitely.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I hate the priest reliance on mp5. :(

Why can't we get our gear with stats we actually want. I'm up to three pieces of T5.. and my spirit keeps dropping like a rock.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Spriests = shadow priests, sorry I'm lazy.

Still the mp5 though probably?

Medopine on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes, Mp5.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    I hate the priest reliance on mp5. :(

Why can't we get our gear with stats we actually want. I'm up to three pieces of T5.. and my spirit keeps dropping like a rock.

My theory is that the general playerbase is too stupid to know how to utilize spirit through the five-second rule, so Blizzard has to compensate by taking the focus away from what should be the primary stat on our gear. Depressing.

I've always thought spirit should've gained the properties of resillience instead of them adding an entirely new stat. That would've worked out much better, I think. Just allow combat HP regen (at a rate of maybe half normal) for every class so it's not worthless for the non-casters.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

a.) I need to use, and

It's never a good idea for a raiding guild to allow a small number of regular raiders to acquire significantly more loot than others. You'll often have someone who's only in it for themself who takes advantage of being a necessary class who then bails as soon as they can't get anything else from their current situation.

I was in a guild that did that, but because we had so many people we still thrived. One by one more nad more people left becasue they hated the loot system, and they were right to hate it. The officers got first dibs on everything and everything, and the main tank was a complete loot whore. Back in the day (when the only big raids were Molten Core and Blackwing Lair) the guy looted a Brutality blade for a tanking weapon, without linking it in raid chat, or even giving anyone the chance to roll.

What really drove me mad was that this same douchebag insisted on ignoring the main raid when discussing who gets what item. A boss would die, he and the other officers would discuss the item in ventrilo (Where the entire raid hears them talking) without telling us what it is. It's no wonder people left in droves as this kind of behavior continued without end.

One day, our tank had the orange hammer, a full might set, and a full dark iron set. I think he was with us for maybe one or two weeks after that point, before he bailed on us, along with a few other offiers. The guild collapsed on itself like a fly in a cupboard.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My warlock is soon to be shelved, since I've progressed almost as far as I can with him without raiding or doing arenas (neither of which I have access to), or reputation grinding instances. I'm thinking about picking up my priest as my next main. He's currently at 42... my goal is to get him to 58 as soon as possible, then move him to Outland.

I'd like to have a decent set of solo gear and a decent set of healing gear ready for when I make the switch. I've been scanning the AH, and I've been buying up "of the Sorcerer" gear for my solo set, and "of the Physician" gear for my healing set. Is there something else I should be doing instead? Wowwiki lists "of the Prohet" as +int, +spirit, & +healing, which looks like it would be good, but I haven't seen any of it.

I plan to do the instance/grind rep/skip quests thing from 58 to 70, then go back and complete all my quests for cash and better rep.

Any suggestions about my plans? Feasible? Totally stupid? Mildly stupid with a side of crazy?

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If you rely on instances and maybe the AH for all of your gear, you're going to be kinda screwed for soloing gear. When I leveled my Priest from 60-70, I used quests to collect soloing gear and instances for healing gear.

At the very least, do all of Hellfire's once you get to 60. Skipping Hellfire quests makes you lose out on some really really good soloing gear, and doing all of Hellfire at level 70 will get you only around 260 gold, which makes it not worth skipping at all.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you rely on instances and maybe the AH for all of your gear, you're going to be kinda screwed for soloing gear. When I leveled my Priest from 60-70, I used quests to collect soloing gear and instances for healing gear.

At the very least, do all of Hellfire's once you get to 60. Skipping Hellfire quests makes you lose out on some really really good soloing gear, and doing all of Hellfire at level 70 will get you only around 260 gold, which makes it not worth skipping at all.

How much Thrallmar rep would I be wasting by doing that?

That's one of the things that kills me about my warlock... I didn't maximize the rep grind in any way (not even turning in unidentified plant parts for CE rep), so I'm about a zillion miles from revered with everybody except KoT.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

How much Thrallmar rep would I be wasting by doing that?

That's one of the things that kills me about my warlock... I didn't maximize the rep grind in any way (not even turning in unidentified plant parts for CE rep), so I'm about a zillion miles from revered with everybody except KoT.

Get a couple Hellfire or Blood Furnace runs in, just to get you to honored, then do the quests. You're going to have to run Shattered Halls for Revered no matter what you do. If you want to maximize rep, get 350ish plant parts and turn them into CE in Zangarmarsh before you do even the Hellfire CE stuff, so you can also get those towards Revered.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What is a good spell rotation for level 25 or so? Right now I do MB, SW: P, flay, flay, flay til dead. But while I'm getting beat on usually only 1 tick of the flay happens so is there something better?

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wombat02 wrote: »
    What is a good spell rotation for level 25 or so? Right now I do MB, SW: P, flay, flay, flay til dead. But while I'm getting beat on usually only 1 tick of the flay happens so is there something better?

Two schools of thought on this one:

shield, MB, SW: P, flay, flay ... wand dead

MB, SW: P, flay, fear, flay, flay .. .wand dead

I find the fear version more mana efficient, but it requires an open space. Experiment with what works for you to avoid interrupting of flay.

Also rank 1 mind flay isn't particularly good ( I can't remember the exactitudes of it, but I did work out that smite was better until you get flay rak 2 @28)

grumthorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ya smite has been working way better than mind flay 1. I assume it gets better ? Also Everything in the shadow tree seems awesome so I don't know how to make up my specc. I am just kinda winging it.

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shadow priests are like fine wine... they get better with time.

Seriously tho, I remember leveling and thinking shadow priests sucked till about level 30. It doesn't stop getting better from there.

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am always worried about using fear while grinding because of adds.

I also find myself waiting until I have 2 or more Shadow Weaving marks up on a mob before I use Mind Blast. I figure it is a bit more damage for my mana spent then using a mind blast at the start of a fight.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also Everything in the shadow tree seems awesome so I don't know how to make up my specc. I am just kinda winging it.

There have been about 100 posts detailing that in this thread. Including a level by level breakdown and a set up for rotation and all that.

Search through it some!

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Not that it matters either way, because once you get spirit tap, mind flay and shadowform.. the rest is just details.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also Everything in the shadow tree seems awesome so I don't know how to make up my specc. I am just kinda winging it.

There have been about 100 posts detailing that in this thread. Including a level by level breakdown and a set up for rotation and all that.

Search through it some!

no.

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shadow priests are like fine wine... they get better with time.

Seriously tho, I remember leveling and thinking shadow priests sucked till about level 30. It doesn't stop getting better from there.

yes, I just hit 40 (haven't played since... can't wait!) and I have to agree.

also, I since about level 25, have been

MB, sw:p, flay as it runs towards me, pw:s, flay again until it's health is <50%, and then wand to death. as I got better wands I would sometimes wand from 60% down.

works well. and then if it is a target that runs at low health, flay again so it slows down.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Search through it some!

no.

they have good leveling builds on wowwiki too, including optional paths to take for different reasons.

spirit tap, mind blast cooldown thing, mind flay, vampiric embrace, darkness, shadow reach... I think that's everything before shadow form that you need, though not in order. darkness will only have 4 pts in it when you get shadowform, but next level you go back to it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm still undecided about improved mindblast. It's handy, I guess. But mindblasting all the time is really rough on your mana pool. I avoided it as much as possible while I levelled. I think overall you're better off opening with mindblast then avoiding it for the rest of the fight.

exis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    exis wrote: »
    I'm still undecided about improved mindblast. It's handy, I guess. But mindblasting all the time is really rough on your mana pool. I avoided it as much as possible while I levelled. I think overall you're better off opening with mindblast then avoiding it for the rest of the fight.

Yes yes and yes.

Leveling, and raiding, is about mana efficency. Leveling with a lot of mind blasts = lots of drinking.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd think Imp. Mind Blast would be pretty decent for pvping as a Shadow Priest though, since it's fairly strong burst-y damage, and Mind Flay will be interrupted a lot.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd think Imp. Mind Blast would be pretty decent for pvping as a Shadow Priest though, since it's fairly strong burst-y damage, and Mind Flay will be interrupted a lot.

Yeah, it's really really good in PvP. It's just that it's also horribly inefficient. So outside of PvP the talent isn't great. I suppose the exception is being in a multiple shadow priest group in a raid, where mana inefficiency would be less of an issue.

exis on
  • Options
    nourishnourish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Any suggestions for someone thinking of returning to WoW to play a s-priest?

I have an old 60 NE but I only used shadowmeld to afk, and really regretted not having fear ward in pvp. My gear was crap - would I be hating myself leveling a Draeni? Fear ward + minor mana regen sound pretty nice, but I can't remember what sort of time sink I'd be looking at to get back to the outlands.

What about servers - I saw there is a Penny Arcade Alliance on Dark Iron (Frozen Treats is on the pinned guild post). Are there guilds which will accept my shadowy ways without the pre-BC "lol heal plz"?

Thanks

nourish on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    nourish wrote: »
    Any suggestions for someone thinking of returning to WoW to play a s-priest?

I have an old 60 NE but I only used shadowmeld to afk, and really regretted not having fear ward in pvp. My gear was crap - would I be hating myself leveling a Draeni? Fear ward + minor mana regen sound pretty nice, but I can't remember what sort of time sink I'd be looking at to get back to the outlands.

What about servers - I saw there is a Penny Arcade Alliance on Dark Iron (Frozen Treats is on the pinned guild post). Are there guilds which will accept my shadowy ways without the pre-BC "lol heal plz"?

Thanks

You've got a good chance of being accepted as a 70 shadow priest to alot of guilds, if you're geared well enough. About the same as if you were holy, I'd say.

exis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, a good spriest will find a spot in a guild no problem.

There's no shortage of shadow priests right now.. however, a big chunk of them are slobbering retards. Poor damage, too much damage, not listening to instructions.. you name it.

Distinguish yourself as someone with intelligence and you won't have any problems. Shadow priests are in high demand right now.

xzzy on
This discussion has been closed.