Options

Affordable Care Cat upheld

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Well I think you're wrong but you seem set in your pretty ignorant and counter productive idea so I guess we're done here

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    iKYJt.jpg

I prefer to make my opponents into ridiculous strawmen.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I wish people could have opinions without being insufferable douchebags about it

Like, okay, some people can think healthcare is a right while others consider it a privilege

Fine, whatever, don't call each other names

The problem here is that just because everyone has an opinion that does not mean that every opinion is valid.

edit: turns out you said exactly this, probably should have read this page first

Yeah I'm not saying we take civility down the slippery slope of relativism or give up on tackling bad ideas with logic

But we don't need to name call and sometimes you do need to accept that people won't agree on things

what do you do when people refuse to listen to logic though

go "well you're entitled to your asinine opinion that's founded in ignorance"

fuck that, you shame the fuck out of them

No you uh

you do exactly that

if you lay out your point of view and back it up with all the logic you've got and somebody does the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears and yelling "lalalalalala" then you disengage as best you can

shaming somebody will 1) never persuade anybody to do anything but maybe hide their opinions around you and 2) actually undermine your point of view by making it look like everybody who agrees with you is an asshole

That's not to say you shouldn't call somebody out (even the same person) whenever they bring up something that is wrong in hopes that you'll be able to persuade them but being a shitlord does nothing for anyone

but this approach doesn't allow him to yell at people on the internet

dont you GET IT?

Must...feed...inferiority complex...

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    "well i'm sorry you think black people are literally mud men from the stone age but there's nothing i can do about it" is a terrible thing to say

if you can't change somebody's mind you let them know that their abhorrent opinions aren't going to be tolerated in any way shape or form

the easiest way to do this is to treat them like shitlords

ironically enough though i'm just gonna agree to disagree on this one

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Rolo give me some Muir

inject that shit straight into my eyeballs

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    "hey muir you probably shouldn't pretend to speak for black people what with y'know being a white conservative and all"

"yeah well watch this I MADE A BLACK GUY CHARACTER SPLADOW TOTALLY BETTER NOW"

- a thing that literally happened

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    I wish people could have opinions without being insufferable douchebags about it

Like, okay, some people can think healthcare is a right while others consider it a privilege

nah

Agreed. One side is right and the other is wrong. Civility doesn't factor into this.

exactly

just which side is which is up for argument

(no it's not my side is right forever and always)

buttlord didn't you spend that entire religion thread we had a few months ago talking about how everyone should be civil to each other and there's no need to make absolute judgments or call people names

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Rolo give me some Muir

inject that shit straight into my eyeballs

8JJ8z.jpg

BOOM

• Options
    edited July 2012
    "hey muir you probably shouldn't pretend to speak for black people what with y'know being a white conservative and all"

"yeah well watch this I MADE A BLACK GUY CHARACTER SPLADOW TOTALLY BETTER NOW"

- a thing that literally happened

he wasn't even black, he was some kind of sick looking darkish off-yellow

it was like he tried to draw a black guy but his hand rebelled and wouldn't select an actual brown skin tone on the color palette

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »

nah

Agreed. One side is right and the other is wrong. Civility doesn't factor into this.

exactly

just which side is which is up for argument

(no it's not my side is right forever and always)

buttlord didn't you spend that entire religion thread we had a few months ago talking about how everyone should be civil to each other and there's no need to make absolute judgments or call people names

not exactly but since everyone ignored me the sixteen times i wrote out my actual point y'all can suck it

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Muir...

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    such meandering comic dialog

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    using yugioh to explain why the fossil record is wrong

internet every time I think you've hurt me for the last time you find a new way to draw blood

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    i love the last panel of that

"wait...what?"

"ha you can't follow my stupid non-logic. idiot."

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Will shaming them change their minds?

No, if anything it will make them defensive and entrench the bad idea further

So no, I don't think that is necessarily a good plan

Sometimes it's not really about changing anyone's mind. Sometimes it's about treating something that should be unacceptable as unacceptable.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Will shaming them change their minds?

No, if anything it will make them defensive and entrench the bad idea further

So no, I don't think that is necessarily a good plan

Sometimes it's not really about changing anyone's mind. Sometimes it's about treating something that should be unacceptable as unacceptable.

It does depend on the opinion, maybe, but I think even the most heinous ideas are unlikely to be eradicated by sheer counter-vitriol

It's like trying to kill a cobra with its own venom

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    There's a distinct lack of jaundiced woman with giant boobs as advertised on the top of that one comic.

I am disappoint

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    It does depend on the opinion, yes. And you should probably try to explain to the person with the horrible opinion why their opinion is wrong first.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Reason should always come first

The challenge arises these days when there is no common set of facts to work with

If you can't agree on a foundation, you're building on quicksand

Your castle of logic will just sink into the swamp

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    im pretty on the fence about the whole 'be nice' thing because half the time ive tried to point out something more controversial than 'slavery is bad! dont beat women' i just got flooded with stupid, thoughtless bullshit until i started yelling at everybody

but on the other end it gets kind of extreme over nothing and then youre watching two white teens screaming at eachother over shit neither of them actually understands

• Options
    im pretty on the fence about the whole 'be nice' thing because half the time ive tried to point out something more controversial than 'slavery is bad! dont beat women' i just got flooded with stupid, thoughtless bullshit until i started yelling at everybody

but on the other end it gets kind of extreme over nothing and then youre watching two white teens screaming at eachother over shit neither of them actually understands

"don't hit women" can get pretty controversial if you say it around the right/wrong people

• Options

"don't hit women" can get pretty controversial if you say it around the right/wrong people

as a mra I find it a pretty exclusionary and sexist statement

• Options
    "does feminism mean i get to hit women? its not fair if i still cant'

-an actual sentiment expressed on these boards

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »

as a mra I find it a pretty exclusionary and sexist statement

"no but see violence against MEN is underreported, clearly this is because of WOMEN and not because of the same problems that feminism is trying to deal with. sperm-jacking whores."

• Options
    Yeah, that's the thing, you can find jerks out there who really do think stuff like "women are for making babies and rubbing my feet"

All you can do is try to show them otherwise without being a dick

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    don't hit women is kinda silly in it's phrasing because it implies hitting dudes is a-ok

don't hit people is better?

just

don't hit

• Options
    "does feminism mean i get to hit women? its not fair if i still cant'

-an actual sentiment expressed on these boards

last summer the front man for a semi-famous punk band punched a girl in the face for throwing ice at him at a show

now, leaving aside that he was playing in the late 80s and 90s and should be used to having shit thrown at him particularly shit as harmless as an ice cube, the way the "scene" was divided between "whoa that's fucked up" and "ACT LIKE A MAN GET HIT LIKE A MAN DON'T LIKE IT MAYBE BE A LADY" was insane

pretty sure a couple bands got death threats for dropping off a fest the dude had organized for a mnth or two down the road over it

• Options
    i usually gauge the people by how they behave at punk concerts

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

How do you gauge people who don't go to punk concerts?

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    SimBen wrote: »

How do you gauge people who don't go to punk concerts?

can you even call them "people" if they don't go to punk concerts

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2012

well he's also a massive shitlord outside of shows too (speaking from personal interactions with the guy) but that's not the point

hitting people for throwing shit at you hasn't been a thing in 20 years since henry rollins stopped calling nazi skinheads out to fight him onstage mid-set

his reaction was way over the line and the fact that people were defending him blew my mind

(also one of the people who pulled him away was a woman and i'm pretty sure he took a swing at her too)

Buttlord on
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    don't hit women is kinda silly in it's phrasing because it implies hitting dudes is a-ok

just

don't hit

I think those are two good, but separate messages.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    i have a new message

punch everyone

constantly

do not stop punching

if we all punch

the best punchers will trickle down

freedom

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

just

don't hit

punch bears is ok though

sharks too

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    if everyone's a puncher

then no one will be

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular

just

don't hit

punch bears is ok though

sharks too

As a bear

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Pet cats;get paid

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Punch boo the dog

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

just

don't hit

yeah i mean usually when people are talking about not hitting women, they are specifically talking about not being abusive toward women in your life who you supposedly care about and who have come to trust you

not like some girl you got into an argument with outside a bar

in both those cases, obviously you should not hit them. but the factors involved with each of them are fundamentally different

• Options
    who is yourrr

favorite katamari cousin

mine is....miso....no june.i think

Jun.gif