As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft 2] THIS THREAD IS OVER. POST IN THE NEW ONE PEOPLE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Starcraft 2 thread

terranfinal.jpg

The PA Crane Kick program!

We here at PA are a nice, friendly, bunch that want to help each other get better at SC2, typically through light-hearted pokes and jabs. But some players require a little more hands-on training. So, I have decided to create a Karate Kid style teacher and student program known hence forth as the Crane Kick program. Basically, one of our higher league players will personally train a lower level one on some aspect of their game they want to improve.

Fill out this form to join in! After filling out the form, look at the list of players found here and simply PM the coach/player you are interested in working with. Set up a time/date, communication software, and discuss what you want to learn/teach. GLHF!

Please read the following details to help things go smoothly:
All games will include 4 PA players in a non-ladder 1v1, 2 high ranked Miyagis and 2 low ranked Daniel-sans. The mentors will be in a special chat room with their students in mumble/skype giving them advice in real-time. All four start in the same chat channel then go into 2 different channels when the game starts. The two higher ranked people are observers that only follow the vision of their "student". Sound like fun? Again, fill out this form to join in! Find players/coaches here!

Players should:
-specify to their coach what they want to learn (stutter step, macro, X build order)
-already understand the basics of hotkeys, assigning groups, map pings
-listen and follow the advice of the coach
-watch their replays!
-take what they've learned and practice on their own time
-be respectful of their coaches and opponents time

Coaches should:
-not look at full map vision (cheater!)
-don't yell or harass the student, especially in tense battle situations
-offer insight as to WHY you want to do things and certain times
-explain what to look for when scouting builds
-be available for more than one game if possible
-offer follow up sessions if needed
-focus on one to two things at a time (micro, macro, build order, etc)

Let's see if we can get this thing off the ground and really help each other out more!

I want to play SC2 awesome like everyone else!

So, the SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff. In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
Major tournaments. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
  • The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastosis, the casting archon.
  • The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
  • Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
  • North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
  • IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.

And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker for more competitive goodness.

Streams. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.

Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page for more goodness.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    such an unexpected winner, unless puzzle pulls a reverse all kill.

And I somewhat doubt is he able to do that.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    what kind of monster starts a new thread mid finals

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Puzzle is gonna take at least one or two kills. He has to. An all-kill might be great for gumiho but its no way to do a finals.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Starcraft belongs to the NORDS!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    815165 wrote: »

Well at my school we just finished mid-terms. ;-)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    holy shit that was the sickest of all sick holds.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Options
    i think only the protoss players here can appreciate how fucking well Puzzle is defending this stuff

and i think only the Terran players can appreciate how goddamn amazing it is that Gumiho is controlling all these different drops so well

in other words Zerg go away

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Meanwhile, in Australia....

RooVsIdiot3.jpg

Dhal got into yet another scuffle with a Kangaroo. The cause? Something about SpaceCraft 2 or something. It was hard to understand him between the boomerang throws and Fosters chugging. Witnesses were quoted as saying, "Kangaroo imba." More on this story later.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    gsl curse in full effect this weekend

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    can't get annoyed at the onesideness, fxo so happy

choya happiest manager

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Not really poolcue, even if it was 5-0, we got some damn awesome games out of it.

Yesterdays final was PvP, which has always been... temperamental, even after the fixes to it.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    I learned something about Australia yesterday. Something that could bring the whole country crashing down.

Also, woke up just in time to see a pixelated all kill. Wonderful.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    i enjoyed this series. it wasn't as onesided as the results would suggest.

it wasn't one guy stomping a whole team easily - it was one guy fighting five equally skilled players and triumphing in difficult games against them

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    it was fun until gumiho remembered scv all ins don't have a strong enough downside

• Options
    i enjoyed this series. it wasn't as onesided as the results would suggest.

it wasn't one guy stomping a whole team easily - it was one guy fighting five equally skilled players and triumphing in difficult games against them

this is true

i just wanted to say onesideness

• Options
    On a more serious note. The FXO uniforms are awful. They look like they're about to break into some new-aged bs interpretive dance.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Bought my TSL+ ticket.

Pretty much entirely for the poster. 1080p streams are an added bonus :D

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Have they mentioned starting up the TL Attacks again? Those were rad.

• Options
    tsl4 is starting today, so allll of tl is probably wrapped up in that, tlattacks won't start up again till a bit afterwards i imagine

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Oh god what have they done to the forums this time.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Oh god what have they done to the forums this time.

The real question is have they fixed drafts sticking around forever and ever.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    http://userstyles.org/styles/50838/penny-arcade-ye-olde-style

the saving grace of the vanilla forums

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Ahh, thank god that guy works quickly.

• Options
    Ah, civilisation.

And naniwa is not stomping the swedish WCS quals, which is quite dissapointing.

• Options
    still got the shitty user tabs though on this thing

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Hmmmm

not sure if trap

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    aw, I can't agree with myself

story of my life
    :(

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    jaziek wrote: »
    Bought my TSL+ ticket.

Pretty much entirely for the poster. 1080p streams are an added bonus :D

What poster? EDIT - Oh god
    TSL_poster_flat2.jpg

I'm considering a ticket just for this poster too.

Cantido on
  • Options
    still got the shitty user tabs though on this thing

I'm guessing it is a quick and dirty color fix, with ironing out the other annoying stuff later.

And these WCS finals are unintentionally hilarious in that people who have never been near a big stage ever is suddenly thrown up on one. Luckily incontrol is an excellent host, does a great job of making it entertaining and not supremely awkward.

• Options
    Gotta hand it to Zoia...casting from his bedroom. Still wears a suit. Good man.

• Options
    I really don't like that poster. Can't really figure out why.

I think it's because the races are supposed to be represented there but the Terran and protoss ones are very ambiguous.

• Options
    I really don't like that poster. Can't really figure out why.

I think it's because the races are supposed to be represented there but the Terran and protoss ones are very ambiguous.

I need it. I'm making an account for it now. It looks like a perfect combination of cartoony colors and Galaga. Note the air units all over the place. It just screams Galaga Legions to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K47tcyrW2Q
    The old sprites are optional in Galaga Legions, but they are pretty much the only way to play :D

• Options
    Looks like it'd do cool stuff with a blacklight.

• Options
    The poster makes me want a hardcore version of the Lost Viking arcade game.

• Options
    fucking

battlecruisers

man

• Options
    Looks like it'd do cool stuff with a blacklight.

I'm gonna hold the poster up to a blacklight, jump up and down and sing Zombie Nation. I bought a ticket.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Gangnam Style is now the official anthem of eSports.

• Options
    RofflorRofflor Adventurer Registered User regular
    So wierd to see this on the front page of Swedens biggest newspaper.
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/article15179366.ab

Live stream from the finals and Incontrol doing interviews right now.

76561197968655073.png
  • Options
    man that is one empty event
    -_-'

l4lGvOw.png

wra