As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Rang the first bell after taking out the gargoyles. Was Knight Solaire always available as an AI co-op buddy? I've never seen his summoning circle in the PS3 version.

Anyway, what area should I tackle next?

Also, people mentioned taking out the merchant in Undead Burg for his weapon. Is it something a Pyromancer can use efficiently? And what are the consequences to killing an NPC, and how can I undo them? I've never attacked them, so I'm hesitant to do so unless the benefits are there.

There aren't any consequences beyond them not being alive anymore. The uchigatana is mostly for dex characters, but it has a nice moveset. If you have the orange soapstone, feel free to kill him.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    heenato wrote: »

And what are the consequences to killing an NPC, and how can I undo them? I've never attacked them, so I'm hesitant to do so unless the benefits are there.
    If it's like demon's souls, you DON'T undo it. You kill them, they're dead for the rest of the playthrough.

Not what I meant; supposedly this causes other NPCs to hunt you or something. There's still much of this game I don't know about, but that's also what makes it fun.

Also, which stat determines how effectively you can swing a weapon? I've had this Ax on my character that he only swings one at a time.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rang the first bell after taking out the gargoyles. Was Knight Solaire always available as an AI co-op buddy? I've never seen his summoning circle in the PS3 version.

Anyway, what area should I tackle next?

Also, people mentioned taking out the merchant in Undead Burg for his weapon. Is it something a Pyromancer can use efficiently? And what are the consequences to killing an NPC, and how can I undo them? I've never attacked them, so I'm hesitant to do so unless the benefits are there.

It's an uchigatana. Nothing special outside of dex builds, and it can be bought anyways

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

And what are the consequences to killing an NPC, and how can I undo them? I've never attacked them, so I'm hesitant to do so unless the benefits are there.
    If it's like demon's souls, you DON'T undo it. You kill them, they're dead for the rest of the playthrough.

Not what I meant; supposedly this causes other NPCs to hunt you or something. There's still much of this game I don't know about, but that's also what makes it fun.

Also, which stat determines how effectively you can swing a weapon? I've had this Ax on my character that he only swings one at a time.

If you kill him you go in the book of people who have sinned. This makes you a target for invasion by the Darkmoon clan.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Went down, decided to fight the Hydra because eh why the fuck not. Took a couple deaths to find the sweet spot for baiting the lunges, but it was easy afterwards. So I went up back into the Garden. Met some large cat-bear things.

Just got up to this part. Decided not to read your post before I killed the Hydra, and I think it paid off. I wasn't even able to get a good look at the mushrooms walking around. I saw the huge cat bear, and it seemed slow and far away enough.

So then I start looking around , and spot one of the funny looking mushrooms, and literally a second later I turn back and it's Goron rolling right at my face and knocks me out.

I switched out to my Lightning Spear and got it down to a sliver of health, and as I'm about to deliver the final blow, I hear another one rolling, which I don't even see until I get the "You died" message.

I decided to end there. It was just an amazing thing that happened.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

None. That weapon just happens to only have 1 swing.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Went down, decided to fight the Hydra because eh why the fuck not. Took a couple deaths to find the sweet spot for baiting the lunges, but it was easy afterwards. So I went up back into the Garden. Met some large cat-bear things.

Just got up to this part. Decided not to read your post before I killed the Hydra, and I think it paid off. I wasn't even able to get a good look at the mushrooms walking around. I saw the huge cat bear, and it seemed slow and far away enough.

So then I start looking around , and spot one of the funny looking mushrooms, and literally a second later I turn back and it's Goron rolling right at my face and knocks me out.

I switched out to my Lightning Spear and got it down to a sliver of health, and as I'm about to deliver the final blow, I hear another one rolling, which I don't even see until I get the "You died" message.

Just wait until you get to the skeleton wheels.

Fuck skeleton wheels.

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Fuck skeleton wheels.

Faced those bastards already. One killed me one when it depleted all my stamina trying to block it. But after that I made sure just to dodge and attack while they're hung up on a wheel.

They were just an hilarious enemy.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Fuck skeleton wheels.

Faced those bastards already. One killed me one when it depleted all my stamina trying to block it. But after that I made sure just to dodge and attack while they're hung up on a wheel.

They were just an hilarious enemy.

They are, but they also have an obscene aggro range. What usually happened to me is after I dodged the one and started to whack on it, his buddy from the other end of the map decides to roll into me from behind.

Plus, the two places you encounter them are dark, thus reducing visibility.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I now have a new mission: buy 100s of firebombs, go into the ruins, get my grenadier on with those asshole ghosts.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    I have now obtained the Dusk Crown Ring, and the Dusk Crown for my sorcerer. I don't intend to use the former though, that thing's suicide.

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I now have a new mission: buy 100s of firebombs, go into the ruins, get my grenadier on with those asshole ghosts.

You can actually kill those Ghosts pretty well with weapons, and if you've thoroughly cleared Sen's Fortress you'll have one up to the task. You also don't need to go to the New Londo ruins until after the midpoint of the game, if you don't want to, the fabulous treasures within notwithstanding :P

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Kainy wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

You can actually kill those Ghosts pretty well with weapons, and if you've thoroughly cleared Sen's Fortress you'll have one up to the task. You also don't need to go to the New Londo ruins until after the midpoint of the game, if you don't want to, the fabulous treasures within notwithstanding :P

That, and the Darkwraith covenant. Assuming you can somehow handle the boss.

Also, if you're lucky, a ghost will drop a cursed sword, which hurts them nicely and doesn't require you to have a stock of curses.

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    Hey Polaritie, did you get any further into the DLC? I'm still in need of help for the optional boss. It's like Seath x100; stupidly easy if you just want to kill it, but incredibly obnoxious if you want to cut the tail.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Geez, how do you beat the Sanctuary Guardian? It doesn't seem like there's any opportunity to attack....

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Either you have a shield with enough stability to let you get a hit or two in between barrages (not likely), or you have to dodge past its attacks and hit it while it whiffs. You can also pelt it with ranged attacks when it backs off. I think the majority of the damage I did to it was with my bow when I beat it.

• Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    Leech farming is balls. Almost done though.. Blight town is amazingly better on the PC, so glad I picked it up

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So I hear the eagle shield has been nerfed in the PC version to only have 95% damage reduction. Sad.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Ah, Capra Demon...a name I haven't cursed in a long while.

Just spent the last hour getting whiffed by that fucker. I know the best strategy is to make a beeline to the top stairs, but nine times out of ten I just can't dodge his wide swings. I considered switching to leather armor for the increased speed, but that just guarantees an instant death instead of two swings to bring me down.

Should I just stick to some other area after ringing the first bell? Like the sewers or the forest?

• Options
    So I hear the eagle shield has been nerfed in the PC version to only have 95% damage reduction. Sad.

It's still amazingly good - 5% damage from physical hits (still totally negates arrows!) isn't too bad.
    Lork wrote: »
    Hey Polaritie, did you get any further into the DLC? I'm still in need of help for the optional boss. It's like Seath x100; stupidly easy if you just want to kill it, but incredibly obnoxious if you want to cut the tail.

I've reached the second boss. I kind of mad-dashed through to him. First try was going well until I got a call I had to take, so I just let him off me. The gardeners are easy, but numerous. The stone knights are just obnoxiously resilient and hit stupidly hard - my scythe made mincemeat of the guardian, but still takes many hits to off them. Need to go farm shards and take some stuff lightning (Forest Hunter, so I can make Uchigatana everythings).
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Geez, how do you beat the Sanctuary Guardian? It doesn't seem like there's any opportunity to attack....

It has forward momentum during its combo, so if you're moving sideways and blocking as it comes in, it'll usually slide past after a couple blows, leaving you to burn your remaining stamina on it's flank. (Greatshields strongly recommended) Also, the water-surge attack is ridiculously telegraphed, has zero tracking, and is linear. Dodge and punish. That's how I did it. Wait for openings and go at it. I even managed to trigger a bleed (That swing took out 40% of it's health. Lifehunt is amazingly good with high dex. It's not even maxed yet.) Avoid the lightning by rolling - it's either five small shots or one big one, but it does back off too often. If it's attacking with the tail (you got behind it and it didn't turn), it's wide open after blocking (poisonous, obviously).

It's a huge step up from basically everything before Anor Londo. The next boss isn't nearly as bad, it felt like fighting super Ornstein again (And I kicked his ass solidly - I almost took more damage from lifehunting myself than he did to me)

I wish more weapons had advancing heavy attacks like the Iaito and two-handing scythes. They're great for bosses.

• Options
    Okay, I think I can make that work.

Need to upgrade my weapon though, I'm hardly doing any damage. Guess I'll go get the large divine ember from the tomb of giants (ugh) and get my divine iaito up to +10.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    I'm actually using the lifehunt scythe too. I went to the trouble of making a +4 winged lightning spear specifically for enemies that the scythe was supposedly less effective against, but the results were disappointing in comparison every time, and that includes the stone guardians. The scythe really is as good as it gets for a dex build, even against enemies that don't bleed.

If you summon me I can help you get past the stone guardians and
    Show you the way to the optional boss, which is in the same area.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Lork wrote: »
    I'm actually using the lifehunt scythe too. I went to the trouble of making a +4 winged lightning spear specifically for enemies that the scythe was supposedly less effective against, but the results were disappointing in comparison every time, and that includes the stone guardians. The scythe really is as good as it gets for a dex build, even against enemies that don't bleed.

If you summon me I can help you get past the stone guardians and
    Show you the way to the optional boss, which is in the same area.
    It's that early in the DLC areas? I figured it'd be near the end, on principle.

I can get past them no problem, I'm much faster than them.

What am I missing with bows? I get such awful damage with them even compared to less epic weapons. Daggers do more.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is the Greatsword of Artorias not good? I feel like I've screwed my faith build pretty badly since I rushed the stats for that sword.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is the Greatsword of Artorias not good? I feel like I've screwed my faith build pretty badly since I rushed the stats for that sword.

Yeah it kinda sucks, even for a faith build

Greatshield, though, is fucking amazing.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012

I've heard the greatshield can't block lifehunt (The special bleed unique to Priscilla). True or false?

Polaritie on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Well damn, I'm level 54 with less than 20 vitality, endurance, and attunement but hey, I can wield this underwhelming sword all I want.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I've heard the greatshield can't block lifehunt (The special bleed unique to Priscilla). True or false?

I have no idea, I didn't attack Priscilla because I'm not a HUGE JERK (also, not a dex build)

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Demons Souls question - Are the servers still on? I'm not near my (Asian) copy of the game at the moment but I'd love to plow through it before buying Dark Souls on the PC. I got stuck fighting gigantic thin, transparent ghosts with light rays and gave up for a while.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options

Yeah the Artorias GS is pretty butts largely because of its insane stat requirements.

• Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Demons Souls question - Are the servers still on? I'm not near my (Asian) copy of the game at the moment but I'd love to plow through it before buying Dark Souls on the PC. I got stuck fighting gigantic thin, transparent ghosts with light rays and gave up for a while.

I think it's still up. They said they'll keep the servers online as long as their is a community for it.

You should finish up that level as least. The end boss for that level (Shadow Men place right?) gave me my most favourite moment in Demon Soul's.

Which involved me dying of course.

• Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

From May:

"Its servers were scheduled to shut down at the end of this month, but Demon's Souls has gotten a reprieve. Publisher Atlus has announced that the servers for the PS3 action game will continue to operate "indefinitely.""

So at least the US servers are still up.

• Options
    Again, recommended areas to tackle after first bell? Trying to look for an ideal order so as to potentially get to the new content quicker plus minimize deaths/rage.

Also, which parameter increases magic damage?

• Options
    Again, recommended areas to tackle after first bell? Trying to look for an ideal order so as to potentially get to the new content quicker plus minimize deaths/rage.

You need to head towards The Depths next. To get there, head back to the area directly below where you killed the Taurus demon. There should be a door which is opened by a key you found in the parish. The way down is through there. You can't get to the new content until way later in the game.

Int increases magic damage.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options

After the first bell?
    Go through Darkroot Garden and Basin for loot, maybe kill Moonlight Butterfly depending on whether you've got the firepower. Actually depending on whether you've got the dodging, because if you rest at the bonfire outside the door locked by the Crest of Artorias (the one that's glowing brightly in Darkroot Garden, there's a bonfire behind a secret wall to the left of the glowy door) it's pretty nearby, and if you're unhollowed you can summon a powerful sorceress who will, given enough time, basically kill the boss herself.

After that, use the key you got after the Gargoyles to go down into the Lower Undead Burg. That's the next main area. Kill the Capra Demon, clear the depths, and then use the back door to do Blighttown. Once you finish that you can ring the second bell, putting you about 1/3 through the game. The back door to Blighttown is to go to Darkroot Basin, head down, reach the bonfire there, and then take the elevator by it down to Drake Valley. Following the path to the left will take you to a much, much less awful route to Blighttown, or at least the parts of it that you need to complete.

If you want to minimize rage, use The Spot to farm a bunch of souls easily. I'll PM you about it.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Ok, so. If I wear a poison res ring, upgraded ninja getup and an upgraded spider shield...that should make me pretty much immune to poison/toxin, right?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Speaking of soul farming, did they fix that exploit in the garden that involved pushing super powerful enemies off a cliff? Could have sworn that was said to be addressed in a patch.

Also as a Pyromancer, am I better off focusing on lightweight clothing so I can dodge faster, or put those points into moving better in heavy armor?

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Follow-up pyromancer question:

What should I do to not botch the character up? Just general pointers would be nice, like which stats and weapons to focus on and such. I just started playing and don't remember anything from Demon's souls' game system, I won't PvP though.

• Options
    Speaking of soul farming, did they fix that exploit in the garden that involved pushing super powerful enemies off a cliff? Could have sworn that was said to be addressed in a patch.

Also as a Pyromancer, am I better off focusing on lightweight clothing so I can dodge faster, or put those points into moving better in heavy armor?

Depends on your preference, really.

For casters, I like to have high poise, so you don't get interrupted when you're trying to... well, cast something.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options

You'll still want to use weapons, so endurance is still a good investment. Pyromancy can't kill everything for you, because you have limited casts. So some str/dex/end/vit are always a good bet - enough to use weapons you're comfortable with.

As far as heavy armor vs. light and fast, it's kind of preference. I personally like wearing the heaviest armor I can and stay under 50% burden, but I tend to play a knight-y character. If you're good enough (and I have a friend who has a lot of success this way as on his pyros and sorcs, he plays a shitload) or patient enough, staying under 25% and being dodgy is great, too - you'll want more END and less VIT for this, as you'll be doing a lot of sprinting/dodging.

Same goes for you, Movitz. At least in my experience.

This discussion has been closed.