As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Not the shooter) -- Out Now. Use New Thread.

• Options
    StantzStantz Registered User regular
    Aw fuck, this is coming out on almost the same day as Xenonauts.

:( I don't think I'll have time to play either of them.

• Options
    MandabarMandabar Gamer Guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Stantz wrote: »
    Aw fuck, this is coming out on almost the same day as Xenonauts.

:( I don't think I'll have time to play either of them.

Well TBH, the Beta Starts for Xenonauts (Or is planned to) on Oct 9th to coincide with the release of the AAA version of it from Firaxis. They are hoping for more awareness of their own title. But doesn't everyone already have it purchased anyways?

Mandabar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I am going to a 2k party tonight so I am going to bother my pr buddie until he gives me code

bother bother bother

it will be for work though so idk if i can start exploding about it over here like I did with Human Revolution

this plan will probably not work
    FYI, the typeface is Futura Book. The sides are a little rounded from the gaussian blur

thanks muchly

Jintor on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »
    I am going to a 2k party tonight so I am going to bother my pr buddie until he gives me code

bother bother bother

it will be for work though so idk if i can start exploding about it over here like I did with Human Revolution

Jealousy approaching critical levels. If your buddy accidentally saddles you with a whole bunch of extra press copies I'll hang on to one for you.

I'm nice like that.

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »

bother bother bother

Jealousy approaching critical levels. If your buddy accidentally saddles you with a whole bunch of extra press copies I'll hang on to one for you.

I'm nice like that.

Odd. I imagine that there are a whole mess of us nice like that. Like me.

Seriously, enjoy the party Jintor. Give Jake Soloman, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER a hug and lingering kiss from us.

Like 5 seconds lingering.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also make sure he knows that Fishman's LP is NOT the SA LP.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    Can I also gift the hats? I don't have TF2.

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Marikir wrote: »
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »

bother bother bother

I'm nice like that.

Odd. I imagine that there are a whole mess of us nice like that. Like me.

Seriously, enjoy the party Jintor. Give Jake Soloman, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER a hug and lingering kiss from us.

Like 5 seconds lingering.

wrong continent unfortunately, this is with my local 2k thingy and it's for borderlands

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Jintor, can you ask if the overwatch shooting through walls bug is fixed? Because its really disconcerting watching a soldier shoot through 2 walls and the floor of a building at something.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    this is a thing i also want to know

yesterday's video also featured a soldier firing his rifle straight through a rock

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The video with the heavy who has a wall hack has become legendary by this point.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Honestly, these things don't bother me so much. If he can draw line of sight, than cool enough for me, I can stomach the animation clipping through the landscape. Just like I do with every other game ever

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    How can people tell what a font is just by looking

other than like times new Roman or comic sans

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Honestly, these things don't bother me so much. If he can draw line of sight, than cool enough for me, I can stomach the animation clipping through the landscape. Just like I do with every other game ever

The thing was he blatantly didn't have LOS, making a dead shot at a enemy two floors above him right through a building from the outside. It's straight-up wallhax hilarity not seen since CounterStrike circa 2000.

I'm bullish that it's just pre-release shenanigans that will be ironed out by the time it drops.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    As a pessimist, that is a concern I can get behind.

EDIT: But really I trust Firaxis to do a good job. I think they were being honest. If not, who knows? I'll deal with it like I do other games. Maybe people will mod the game too. That would be cool.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular

It is beneficial in my line of work to know fonts

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options

they probably use all that space I use to store contract law and equity bullshit

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Or whatthefont.com.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The video with the heavy who has a wall hack has become legendary by this point.

Dude it's all explainable - its like the 3rd alien tech research item on the tree; later on you get bunny hopping and Headshot Hax...

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

The thing was he blatantly didn't have LOS, making a dead shot at a enemy two floors above him right through a building from the outside. It's straight-up wallhax hilarity not seen since CounterStrike circa 2000.

I'm bullish that it's just pre-release shenanigans that will be ironed out by the time it drops.

Well, the wallhaxing thing is probably expected for Snipers (because if I understood it correctly they have an ability that lets them shoot at people they don't have LOS to as long as someone else in the team does, which likely means shooting straight through walls), but I expect it to be outside of the hands of everyone else in the finished product, yeah.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular

they probably use all that space I use to store contract law and equity bullshit

http://www.typographyforlawyers.com = super useful

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I am currently playing Borderlands 2. I no longer need any stinking explanations as to why a gun can do weird things like shoot through walls anymore.

Guns are magical. Suck it up.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    If only xcom had access to such weapons as rifles that set people on fire, rotary-barrel pistols, and rocket launchers that shoot lightning, the aliens wouldn't be much of a threat at all.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Also the ability to throw your gun like a grenade instead of reloading..

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Also the ability to throw your gun like a grenade instead of reloading..

Do we REALLY want to give X-com rookies a greater chance to blow themselves up?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    WangCom: Enemy Uncut.

The hymen is implied in the logo.

Scarab, are you kidding me?
    I posted that like, just a few posts above yours :P

haha i honestly didn't see it.

I'd say something about great minds but no great mind has ever uttered the phrase 'the hymen is implied'

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Docken wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

Dude it's all explainable - its like the 3rd alien tech research item on the tree; later on you get bunny hopping and Headshot Hax...

If, months down the line, someone made a ridiculous mod that replaced the level up trees with tongue-in-cheek hacking abilites, I think I'd play it. Just sayin'.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to unlock the super-potent Goatse Gank tree.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Hahaha. From the Xbox 360 preview:
    here's one chap who made lieutenant last (in-game) month, unlocking all manner of useful abilities, but he's been critically wounded so often he doesn't have any spirit left. I can't risk deploying him - odds are he'll turn his plasma rifle on friendlies at the first whisper of a bump in the night. Being repeatedly molested by sentient jetpacks does things to a man.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Ooh that sounds fun. I officially preordered today so now it's just time to mark the calendar!

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I've just found out I may be getting sent to Germany for work for 2 weeks - a few days after Xcom launches.

I may be forced to get a Xbox version, and take my Xbox away with me...

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Hahaha. From the Xbox 360 preview:
    here's one chap who made lieutenant last (in-game) month, unlocking all manner of useful abilities, but he's been critically wounded so often he doesn't have any spirit left. I can't risk deploying him - odds are he'll turn his plasma rifle on friendlies at the first whisper of a bump in the night. Being repeatedly molested by sentient jetpacks does things to a man.
    That's neat as hell. Now we can tease the lets play survivors about their cowardice!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I hope there's some mechanic to retire soldiers. Like, he's been critically wounded so many times that he's useless in combat. But he's such a high rank he should be capable of training newer soldiers faster or something. I dunno. Was that even in the original I can't remember?

• Options
    Yeah, you retired soldiers by giving them headstones.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I hope there's some mechanic to retire soldiers. Like, he's been critically wounded so many times that he's useless in combat. But he's such a high rank he should be capable of training newer soldiers faster or something. I dunno. Was that even in the original I can't remember?
    In the original, retirement meant leaving the Skyranger first.

You could sack soldiers.

• Options
    I mean like, maybe they have some sort of barracks in the base or something. And you staff it with your soldiers. And the higher rank they are, the more bonuses you get or something.

Didn't Evil Genius have something like this that totally worked great?

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    You mean like old timers acting as mentors to rookies?

"Today's lesson is on Chrysalids.

Module 1. Screaming like a girl
    Module 2. Running faster than the other guy
    Module 3. Skyranger emergency take off procedures"

World's best janitor
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Bomb defuse mission - no commentator voice over either:

Set us up the bomb

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Stop it jefe I am trying to do work here.

• Options
    I'd like to see more videos on the strategy layer. It looks really cool. I don't just mean visually but the changes to the UI and the systems seem to be better than the ones to the tactical map. Smarter too.

This discussion has been closed.