Options

Presidential Election 2012: Let's Debate.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Yeah, Ahmadinejad enjoys a lot of support outside of Tehran, Mashad and Isfahan, but the green movement elections in 2009 had a huge urban population turnout to favor Mousavi's reform party.

There's a huge disparity between the two groups.

Ahmadinejad doesn't enjoy the support of the Ayatollah though.

He did during the 2009-10 elections.

I thought there were rumblings at the tail end of that election that he had lost of the confidence of the Ayatollah.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ross Perot
    I have confidence in the Ayatollah.
    VtOVd.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Kang
    Yeah, Ahmadinejad enjoys a lot of support outside of Tehran, Mashad and Isfahan, but the green movement elections in 2009 had a huge urban population turnout to favor Mousavi's reform party.

I thought there were rumblings at the tail end of that election that he had lost of the confidence of the Ayatollah.

They've had a bit of a tiff since (Ahmadinejad is trying to appoint some of his own people in place of the Ayatollah's clerics), but Khameni supported Ahmadinejad when news was coming out that the election was rigged.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Ross Perot
    the ayatollah has weird stances, too

nuclear weapons are unislamic, it's acceptable under sharia for the state to pay for gender reassignment

weirdshitman

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Ross Perot
    Fandyien wrote: »

nuclear weapons are unislamic, it's acceptable under sharia for the state to pay for gender reassignment

weirdshitman
    What exactly is meant by "gender reassignment?"

That seems more progressive than what one would expect out of, well, a LOT of places.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Junpei wrote: »
    NaClO + Fe3C = Fe3O2 + NA + CI (if I'm remembering this right)

Fe3O2 + Microwave = prettiness.

I am probably wrong but it's been a while since I thought this through.

For fucks sake if you're going to do this then at least balance your equation

I'm gonna get an aneurysm

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Ross Perot
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

weirdshitman

That seems more progressive than what one would expect out of, well, a LOT of places.

homosexuals are encouraged to get sex reassignment surgery and transition

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I suspect that it is just as legit to have gender reassignment under Sharia Law as it is under Biblical law

i.e. if you take a certain perspective, entirely so

a lot of these religions are, if you take them in a certain way, basically "be excellent to each other"

• Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-beverly-hills-fundraiser-20120922,0,2317962.story

Romney’s wife, Ann, was in attendance, and the candidate spoke of the concern he had for her when her plane had to make an emergency landing Friday en route to Santa Monica because of an electrical malfunction.

“I appreciate the fact that she is on the ground, safe and sound. And I don’t think she knows just how worried some of us were,” Romney said. “When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem. So it’s very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she’s safe and sound.”

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

weirdshitman

Although this is, of course, far less than ideal

• Options
    Ross Perot

weirdshitman

Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I was expecting.

Shit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    Come on, guys, some people just don't know stuff

One time I mixed bleach with ammonia because no one told me what would happen

I know this explains a lot about my brain function but still

You actually don't create a significant amount of Cl gas when you mix bleach and ammonia. It also doesn't hang around long.

What you do create though is primarily NH2Cl (chloramine) and a bit of N2H4 (hydrazine), which are still both toxic and not good to leave hanging around the house.

To be specific you also create small amounts of water, sodium chloride, hydrochloric acid, sodium hypochlorite, ammonia gas....but whatever.

Industrial level chlorine and industrial grade acid, on the other hand, will make mustard gas.
    I have seen this happen at work before on accident (it wasn't me doing it, mind) and it is horrifying.

I'm about to drop dat science shit...

I doubt you had industrial grade chlorine. It was most like a chloride salt or Hydrochloric acid. Mix Hydrochloric acid with say Nitric acid and you get a pretty wicked reaction making an aqua regia. That amount of chlorine can put you on your ass if you're not in a well ventilated area like a fume hood.

Funny story, a colleague of mine once fucked up and tried cleaning some smaller platinum crucibles we had in the lab and grabbed the aqua regia I stored for other purposes instead of the 10% nitric acid like it said in the goddamn standard procedure.

He came back an hour or two later, and the Pt crucibles had ceased to be. He was hysterical thinking he lost them or someone stole them. In his panic he dumped the aqua regia solution down the drain to try and hide shit.

Aqua regia is 1 part Nitric acid to 3 parts Hydrochloric acid, so it's nitro-hydrochloric acid. The latin name means royal water. It's also sometimes called aqua regis or king's water. It gets the name from being able to dissolve the royal metals, specifically Gold and Platinum. Some assume they meant the noble metals, but several including titanium and iridium can withstand it.

If he would have kept the solution, it would have been possible to recover the few thousand dollars in platinum and pay to have the crucibles reformed. Like a few hundred bucks. Instead he just dumped it down the drain.
    that dude was shit at alchemy

• Options
    Ross Perot
    Solar wrote: »
    I suspect that it is just as legit to have gender reassignment under Sharia Law as it is under Biblical law

a lot of these religions are, if you take them in a certain way, basically "be excellent to each other"
    You can justify practically anything under religious law if you "take a certain perspective."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    It's pretty much a case of doing the right thing for all the wrong damn reasons.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options

You can justify practically anything under religious law if you "take a certain perspective."

That was my point

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Ross Perot

That was my point

Certain points of view can also lead you you nearly fucking your long lost twin sister and having to fight your actually still alive cyborg dad who went all evil and is part of the empire that is ass raping the galaxy.

17216143.jpg

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I mean, I'm not expecting a political candidate to know exactly how air is maintained on an aircraft

But just googling 'how do you breathe on an airplane' is enough to know that opening a window to spite a fire won't work

• Options
    Ross Perot
    Incest is the lynchpin of Jedi culture.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Ross Perot
    I mean, I'm not expecting a political candidate to know exactly how air is maintained on an aircraft

But just googling 'how do you breathe on an airplane' is enough to know that opening a window to spite a fire won't work

If you are an adult in the real world and you can't fathom why a metal tube in the sky needs to be properly pressurized while you ride in it, then I don't want you in control of jack or shit, let alone be the goddamn president.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    watching fox news with my dad as i often have to

my favorite part of this station are all the totally batshit gold commercials that assure you that you will be immune to all the problems of the world if you invest in gold

• Options
    fivethirtyeight is really good today. He goes over historical late-September polling

tl:dr is basically that late September polls are historically pretty accurate at predicting the winner, and Obama - while winning - is doing so less impressively than incumbents in the past

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

They've had a bit of a tiff since (Ahmadinejad is trying to appoint some of his own people in place of the Ayatollah's clerics), but Khameni supported Ahmadinejad when news was coming out that the election was rigged.

Hasn't Ahmadinejad's power been significantly curtailed since then?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    watching fox news with my dad as i often have to

my favorite part of this station are all the totally batshit gold commercials that assure you that you will be immune to all the problems of the world if you invest in gold

@RealTimeWWII was saying the other day that at this time in 1941 Alan Turing was taking all his money out of the bank in silver coins, melting them down and burying the silver

Which I guess is the same concept, except he had an actual reason for worrying about the solvency of his cash

• Options

That was my point

Certain points of view can also lead you you nearly fucking your long lost twin sister and having to fight your actually still alive cyborg dad who went all evil and is part of the empire that is ass raping the galaxy.

17216143.jpg

My point still stands

Obi-Wan-Kedickhead notwithstanding

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Favlaud wrote: »
    http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-beverly-hills-fundraiser-20120922,0,2317962.story

Romney’s wife, Ann, was in attendance, and the candidate spoke of the concern he had for her when her plane had to make an emergency landing Friday en route to Santa Monica because of an electrical malfunction.

“I appreciate the fact that she is on the ground, safe and sound. And I don’t think she knows just how worried some of us were,” Romney said. “When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem. So it’s very dangerous. And she was choking and rubbing her eyes. Fortunately, there was enough oxygen for the pilot and copilot to make a safe landing in Denver. But she’s safe and sound.”

Ha ha ha ha ha, what a jokester that Romney fellow is. He must have had a good laugh with the audience after that and certainly not meant it to be a serious observation from a candidate for the office of president, right?

Because that would just be silly. Incredibly, mind-bogglingly, depressingly, horrifyingly silly.

... he meant it, didn't he?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Kodos
    yeah that's basically it

it's okay for a person to not know why you don't put windows that can easily be opened on an airplane

it is not, in my opinion, okay for a presidential candidate to not know that

i'd really prefer someone smarter than me ran the country

which really isn't that hard and yet

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I could totally get them not being able to give any kind of details as to why 'cause there's only so much a person can know and remember, but knowing that it is a bad thing would be enough to satisfy me.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I wanna say it's science 101 (high pressure vs low pressure), but fuck that everyone knows this shit.

Anyone who's seen an action movie with an airplane in it knows "OPEN WINDOW BAD". They know enough to realize that the people in the movie aren't screaming for joy at the sudden influx of precious oxygen and they aren't wildly throwing themselves at the hole in the plane because "MORE OXYGEN FOR ME HAHA SUCKERS".

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    The fact that shocks me the most is that Romney never watched Goldfinger.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ross Perot
    I got a DVD in the mail today.

It's titled

"Dreams from my REAL<hammer and sickle symbol> Father"

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ross Perot
    You watch it, you watch that shit right this second.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kodos
    Or Snakes on a Plane.

• Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    actually, upload it to youtube so we can all watch it

• Options
    Ross Perot
    I'm afraid to put it in my computer.

The potential amount of concentrated stupid can't be good for my PC>

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Kang
    well I mean technically you can open a plane at 10000 feet and the only hazard there would be, you know, falling out.

That's probably what he meant. You can't really vent a plane quickly because there is no way to vent the aircraft except through the oxygen system.

Not that opening windows sub-10000 feet would be a pleasant experience, because it would be loud and super windy and uncomfortable.

You'd get rid of the smoke real quick though.

Langly on
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I'm afraid to put it in my computer.

The potential amount of concentrated stupid can't be good for my PC>

*Norton Antivirus has detected the following threat in your computer: Concentrated pressed stupid. Delete or Quarantine?*

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Ross Perot
    So I guess this is the trailer for Dreams from my Real Father?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jrrnkKmUzo

slightly nsfw (some naked women w/ black bars covering them)

• Options
    Ross Perot
    It says inside it's 95 minutes long.

I'm not sure I have the fortitude.

• Options
    Ross Perot
    101 wrote: »
    slightly nsfw (some naked women w/ black bars covering them)
    What the fuck?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Ross Perot
    What exactly are you wtf'ing about?

This discussion has been closed.