Options

[chat]: The Motion Picture

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Oh god, Humon.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    We could set up day cares for unemployed people who don't have kids to work for... watching the kids of unemployed people who do have them... making it easier to find and do work.

And why not just pray to Moscow five times a day while you're at it, commie?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Feral post the bonobo picture.
    6Qpbu.gif

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Put another chalk mark on the wall as DM in my Call of Cthulhu game tonight. The guy who saw his character cut to ribbons last week by a vengeful cultist saw his new investigator driven insane. Tip: when told by the DM that the many, many paintings on the wall all depict strange, terrifying, disturbing images that threaten to unbalance your mind, don't look at eight of them. Especially not with a SAN of 30.

TTnzX.gif

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I hate children.

bummer

that's about a quarter of the population

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    KEB wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I am currently out getting coffee and being sociable (except also browsing the forums, bah)

Girl at another table is CLEARLY flirting with the guy she is here with

He appears to be clueless

Write a story for your dorfs. It is law.

So Ashley, she's a bit shy, bit socially awkward, maybe a bit uptight even, but girl knows how to flirt.

Derrick, meanwhile, is unfortunately just as shy and socially awkward and therefore has NO idea what's going on.

All the lip-biting and hair-twirling and nervous giggling in the world won't save these star-crossed potential lovers.

Maybe Derrick realizes she's flirting, but isn't interested. He's not all that shy and socially awkward, Ashley is just putting him in a bad position because he doesn't want to be with her but he doesn't want to hurt her either. He'll tell her when he gets a chance, but he feels that the middle of a coffee shop is not the place to do it.

But Ashley's pretty cute. Derrick could do worse!

I am not projecting my own romantic issues on them at all dammit!

Ashley's pretty cute, but there's more to life than appearance. Ashley's a great girl and Derrick really likes her, but he thinks of her only as a friend. He knows that in the long run, a relationship wouldn't work out.

But how does Derrick know unless he gives Ashley a chance? Maybe he's missing out on something amazing! She values their friendship too but really thinks they could be more!

... Still not projecting.

You projecting harder than your 3rd grade teacher's projector.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I hate children.

bummer

that's about a quarter of the population

Monsters one and all.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I believe it's predominately a lack of demand holding down employment and heavy-handed fiscal policy by the federal government (by such means as infrastructure investment and public works) would go a long way to boosting demand, and thus restoring the ability (read: willingness) of private entities to hire.

Ah, right, that makes sense... But wouldn't that disproportionately affect the construction sector without actually creating that many more jobs in other sectors?

The infrastructure part would, yeah.

But there are also other things we could do, like administrative work. We could nationalize medical records, which would require databasing, but would not require a permanently large labor force.

Won't that just make temporary jobs, though? I get that gov't spending on infrastructure leads to some jobs, and more consumption, but it seems very... short-term and temporary to me. I mean, better than nothing, of course, but how to fix the long-term is my question here.

Well, the underlying idea is that it -is- short-term and temporary.

The goal is simply to get people employed so they can spend money, not necessarily to keep them employed. The idea is that having temporary work keeps the economy growing, and thus opens up private sector job opportunities.

Though, at the same point, we could hire back all the federal and state workers we've laid off in misguided cost-cutting measures to permanent positions. I think the number there is something like 700,000, which is a large chunk of the non-discouraged unemployed.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    KEBKEB Registered User regular
    I believe it's predominately a lack of demand holding down employment and heavy-handed fiscal policy by the federal government (by such means as infrastructure investment and public works) would go a long way to boosting demand, and thus restoring the ability (read: willingness) of private entities to hire.

Ah, right, that makes sense... But wouldn't that disproportionately affect the construction sector without actually creating that many more jobs in other sectors?

It works, though. Mainly by giving those construction workers money to spend (this should be hundreds of thousands of people ideally), boosting economic demand across the board and forcing other sectors to hire in order to support the increased demand.

I don't know a lot of the intricacies behind it but it's why the 50s and all of its Super-Projects basically worked.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Mortious wrote: »
    Put another chalk mark on the wall as DM in my Call of Cthulhu game tonight. The guy who saw his character cut to ribbons last week by a vengeful cultist saw his new investigator driven insane. Tip: when told by the DM that the many, many paintings on the wall all depict strange, terrifying, disturbing images that threaten to unbalance your mind, don't look at eight of them. Especially not with a SAN of 30.

TTnzX.gif

That last panel is what, in the darkest corner of his mind, every DM aspires to achieve.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i hate children too

this one time i was trying to make some sick lego with one and he was like LOL IM GOING TO PUT A RED BRICK IN TEH WHITE WALL

im like no you dumb fuck coordinate your fucking colours but he kept on doing it

so i smothered him to death and made my lego robot in peace

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    How does it follow that the smaller fish is smarter?

Geeks become biologists. Projection occurs.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Won't that just make temporary jobs, though? I get that gov't spending on infrastructure leads to some jobs, and more consumption, but it seems very... short-term and temporary to me. I mean, better than nothing, of course, but how to fix the long-term is my question here.

as short term fixes go, it's a pretty good one

the US has some major infrastructure shit that needs to get taken care of

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    We could set up day cares for unemployed people who don't have kids to work for... watching the kids of unemployed people who do have them... making it easier to find and do work.

And why not just pray to Moscow five times a day while you're at it, commie?

Oh, I do. :P

• Options
    Not really... communism is stupid because humans make it so.

Kind of like unfettered capitalism.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    YES I got my university acceptance letter

things are finally working out like I hoped they would, don't have to do any more ridiculous red tape, I might even get my bachelors before age 30 putting me only at marginal scrub teir status

all according to keikeku

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Aight, I think I understand my own position better now. Short term employment in infrastructure ==> More consumption ==> More jobs in the private sector... But won't the private sector jobs dry up at the same time as the infrastructure jobs? i mean, you'll have people laid off and consuming less, no?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

The infrastructure part would, yeah.

But there are also other things we could do, like administrative work. We could nationalize medical records, which would require databasing, but would not require a permanently large labor force.

Depends on how much you believe in the Keynesian multiplier.

Basically, those construction companies go and spend their money, some of it locally on shops and grocers and mechanics and so forth, some of it by importing in goods from other places. Those grocers and mechanics and shops then spend their money, which stimulates more business. In other words, each $1 spent circulates in the economy, causing more than $1 worth of demand overall.

This is definitely a thing that happens, though as far as I can tell, nobody can decide exactly how much it happens.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    YES I got my university acceptance letter

things are finally working out like I hoped they would, don't have to do any more ridiculous red tape, I might even get my bachelors before age 30 putting me only at marginal scrub teir status

all according to keikeku

Having a degree at or before 30 puts you way above scrub tier. You are probably gold tier at that point. Silver tier is assistant manager at McDonalds and bronze tier is Wal-Mart wage slave.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I am currently out getting coffee and being sociable (except also browsing the forums, bah)

So Ashley, she's a bit shy, bit socially awkward, maybe a bit uptight even, but girl knows how to flirt.

Derrick, meanwhile, is unfortunately just as shy and socially awkward and therefore has NO idea what's going on.

All the lip-biting and hair-twirling and nervous giggling in the world won't save these star-crossed potential lovers.

Maybe Derrick realizes she's flirting, but isn't interested. He's not all that shy and socially awkward, Ashley is just putting him in a bad position because he doesn't want to be with her but he doesn't want to hurt her either. He'll tell her when he gets a chance, but he feels that the middle of a coffee shop is not the place to do it.

Ashley's pretty cute, but there's more to life than appearance. Ashley's a great girl and Derrick really likes her, but he thinks of her only as a friend. He knows that in the long run, a relationship wouldn't work out.

But how does Derrick know unless he gives Ashley a chance? Maybe he's missing out on something amazing! She values their friendship too but really thinks they could be more!

Obviously, Derrick's got his eye on the girl drinking coffee across the room! She was just as oblivious as Derrick this whole time!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I hate children.

Harry Potter book release: don't worry, no spoilers.

Showed up at seven, in full costume for a nine am release. Devoted no? I was one of the few to dress up, and I was the best-dressed. I'm not being vain, I honestly had the most detailed and accurate costume there.

We were told in line, that the best-dressed person in line gets to open the box and have the first Half-Blood Prince book. So, I'm a shoo-in, aren't I?

WRONG.

Fucking moo brings her bratty sprog in at 8:59am dressed in a generic Kmart cape with stars and glitter and fucking gaudy BLAH. Twig for a wand.

OMG WITTLE PWESHUS SO CUTE OMG YOU CAN OPEN THE BOX AND HAVE THIS BOOK YOU CAN'T READ AND *fawning fawning, blatant breederism etc*

THE FUCKING KID WON'T EVEN REMEMBER THIS. THE BOX OPENING WAS MINE. MIIIIINE.

I wouldn't have minded if someone had said "Oh look Sass, you are best-dressed
    but would you mind if this land-mine amputee opened the box instead?" I would
    have said "Absolutely no problem. Go for it." But no. FUCKING CROTCHDROPPING
    GETS THE HONOUR. I'm furious. On principle of course, not out of any sense of entitlement. Well yes, entitlement also. But I WORKED FOR IT, I DESERVED IT.

I made an effort. I spent money making an effort. I showed up early. I will remember and treasure this event for ever and eternity. And I'm passed over for an ugly little brat with a sparkly tie. Woo fucking woo.

I didn't stab her in the eye with my wand. I WANTED to. I talked about doing so
    VERY FUCKING LOUDLY. I was going to eviscerate her mother with the cover of my
    brand-new copy.

I fucking hate breeders and child-lovers. FUCKING GO TO HELL.

I'm so pissed about this, sorry. It's just that in ten years time, this kid won't remember what she was doing on July 16th 2005. In ten years time, I will be remembering how I was deprived of this nerdly honor by an opportunistic twat breeder and her shitling. I'm hurt. All my life, nothing has gotten to me more than being deliberately ignored, or passed over. Honestly; that's the sort of thing that can make me cry in public. Or key your car. Or viciously murder you and your family in the heat of frustration and never-ending denial

Congratulations breeders, you win.

• Options
    HUGE DORF UPDATE!

Tom came in, Ashley jumped to her feet and kissed him pretty intensely. Derrick sat idly by apparently uncaring, possibly even aware of this relationship.

Ashley's a flirty slut.

• Options
    Aight, I think I understand my own position better now. Short term employment in infrastructure ==> More consumption ==> More jobs in the private sector... But won't the private sector jobs dry up at the same time as the infrastructure jobs? i mean, you'll have people laid off and consuming less, no?

Not necessarily. The idea is you don't stop employing people federally until the private sector can pick up the slack.

I believe it was Keynes who talked (tongue-in-cheekily) about paying people to dig holes and then fill them back in.

The spending on employment has a multiplier effect (theoretically? possibly proven, but I don't know it off-hand), so the dollars you're investing, even for nonsense work, return more dollars to the economy.

• Options
    We easily have decades of infrastructure work we could do... if the economy is depressed for that long, we're well fucked.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Plot twist. Derrick and Ashley are siblings.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

Obviously, Derrick's got his eye on the girl drinking coffee across the room! She was just as oblivious as Derrick this whole time!

Unfortunately if this were the case I would be incredibly oblivious because I'm too hung up on my own "Derrick". :P

• Options

Well, hopefully the private businesses are hiring due to increased demand, so it won't dry up completely.

And since they're infrastructure projects, and not just dig hole/fill hole, the area should be economically more productive.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »

WHAT A TWEEEST!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    All my XCOM guys have been awarded nicknames now.

Whoever came up with adding that to the game should be lauded as a genius. You cannot help but project personality characteristics onto a battlefield medic called "Freud".

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    That is a fantastic poster.

no gooby am fanastsic postr

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I know there are multipliers that are visible and model-able... I just forget which ones have been shown and by how much.

Like, I know food stamps return something like $1.30-$1.70 for every dollar spent.

• Options

They appear to be different races, which makes that possibility pretty slim :)

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Well, hopefully the private businesses are hiring due to increased demand, so it won't dry up completely.

And since they're infrastructure projects, and not just dig hole/fill hole, the area should be economically more productive.

Good points.

Thanks, I'm feeling better about my final now... I can converse about unemployment and understand what you guys are saying. :)

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

umm...

uhh..

racist

*runs*

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i hate children too

this one time i was trying to make some sick lego with one and he was like LOL IM GOING TO PUT A RED BRICK IN TEH WHITE WALL

im like no you dumb fuck coordinate your fucking colours but he kept on doing it

no sc what have you done

red bricks in white walls is the child's version of fuck the policeeeeeeee

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    I hate children.

Harry Potter book release: don't worry, no spoilers.
    Showed up at seven, in full costume for a nine am release. Devoted no? I was one of the few to dress up, and I was the best-dressed. I'm not being vain, I honestly had the most detailed and accurate costume there.

We were told in line, that the best-dressed person in line gets to open the box and have the first Half-Blood Prince book. So, I'm a shoo-in, aren't I?

WRONG.

Fucking moo brings her bratty sprog in at 8:59am dressed in a generic Kmart cape with stars and glitter and fucking gaudy BLAH. Twig for a wand.

OMG WITTLE PWESHUS SO CUTE OMG YOU CAN OPEN THE BOX AND HAVE THIS BOOK YOU CAN'T READ AND *fawning fawning, blatant breederism etc*

THE FUCKING KID WON'T EVEN REMEMBER THIS. THE BOX OPENING WAS MINE. MIIIIINE.

I wouldn't have minded if someone had said "Oh look Sass, you are best-dressed
    but would you mind if this land-mine amputee opened the box instead?" I would
    have said "Absolutely no problem. Go for it." But no. FUCKING CROTCHDROPPING
    GETS THE HONOUR. I'm furious. On principle of course, not out of any sense of entitlement. Well yes, entitlement also. But I WORKED FOR IT, I DESERVED IT.

I made an effort. I spent money making an effort. I showed up early. I will remember and treasure this event for ever and eternity. And I'm passed over for an ugly little brat with a sparkly tie. Woo fucking woo.

I didn't stab her in the eye with my wand. I WANTED to. I talked about doing so
    VERY FUCKING LOUDLY. I was going to eviscerate her mother with the cover of my
    brand-new copy.

I fucking hate breeders and child-lovers. FUCKING GO TO HELL.

I'm so pissed about this, sorry. It's just that in ten years time, this kid won't remember what she was doing on July 16th 2005. In ten years time, I will be remembering how I was deprived of this nerdly honor by an opportunistic twat breeder and her shitling. I'm hurt. All my life, nothing has gotten to me more than being deliberately ignored, or passed over. Honestly; that's the sort of thing that can make me cry in public. Or key your car. Or viciously murder you and your family in the heat of frustration and never-ending denial

Congratulations breeders, you win.

Check yo privilege, kids.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

That's orphanalist as hell

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

the wonders of genetics make all things possible

ps DRUM AND BASS

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i hate children too

no sc what have you done

red bricks in white walls is the child's version of fuck the policeeeeeeee

all in all, it's just another brick in the wall.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Madpanda wrote: »

I need to find another CoC tabletop group. Sadly its all pathfinder country near me.

We had a lot of homebrew rules which led to characters surviving longer. Which usually meant dealing with multiple inanities, which were most of the time self inflicted. Like by looking at aforementioned paintings.

Trying to do normal investigation/CSI type missions while one member of the party is convinced They Live is reality, another is afraid of daylight, etc etc, was... challenging.
    Maybe I should reconsider my mostly irration dislike of pathfinder.

Woah woah woah woah woah

Let's not start developing Stockholm Syndrome now

This discussion has been closed.