As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All shall [chat] me and despair!

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    The aiming on console does hurt it a bit though, and it is noticeable in how CoD gradually started removing aim as a factor in their design and balancing. Which was fine, I too was mostly relying on my map awareness and movement. But with CoD4 and everything after they started removing that as a skill set as well which is why CoD is poop these days. Not very interesting as anything but a pubbing game.

CS us a very different beast and really shouldn't be compared at all.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    By Call of Duty I mean the series began at Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. All previous games do not exist.

Which only exist thanks to Halo making the successful transition from the tradition fps console shitstorm to playable.

Before that all you really had was Perfect Dark and Golden Eye. Both excellent games but not up to modern FPS standards.

I ain't dated bro, I just know my history.

CoD2 had modern controls, and played well enough that, while it feels like a launch title, it still fits in with the current generation.

But CoD4 was on another level. The storytelling and single-player gameplay has never been matched, let alone surpassed, by any FPS, let alone any subsequent CoD.

I question this. But I got bored with CoD4 pretty quickly in single player. I don't know, modern warfare kind of bores me. Black Ops 1 was fun because it was crazy stupid like an 80's action movie. I mean HL2 and Episodes 1 and 2 are my go to for a lot of FPS story stuff. They were done well. And being the old man I am a lot of the stuff like Thief which was kind of a first person game pops to mind when I think about story as well.

I get why a lot of people like CoD4 but meh, I don't think I would put it on that high of a pedestal. Also I didn't play it till a few years after it came out. Kind of like ME1 I guess the overhyping killed the game for me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    You die in milliseconds in Call of Duty games. No matter how fast your aiming is, you will never be able to turn around and shoot a guy who is drilling you from the side or back. So the difference between mouse and controller is irrelevant. It's about situational awareness.

So many times I have gotten the jump on someone, missed all of my shots, and then the guy turned around and killed me.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    The aiming on console does hurt it a bit though, and it is noticeable in how CoD gradually started removing aim as a factor in their design and balancing. Which was fine, I too was mostly relying on my map awareness and movement. But with CoD4 and everything after they started removing that as a skill set as well which is why CoD is poop these days. Not very interesting as anything but a pubbing game.

so the fact that i have a good k/d ratio due to map awareness and movement is impossible because that doesn't exist in modern CoD games?

am i a unicorn?!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Speaking of FPS games want to know what I miss? WW2 shooters

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    You die in milliseconds in Call of Duty games. No matter how fast your aiming is, you will never be able to turn around and shoot a guy who is drilling you from the side or back. So the difference between mouse and controller is irrelevant. It's about situational awareness.

So many times I have gotten the jump on someone, missed all of my shots, and then the guy turned around and killed me.

so don't miss all your shots? also use a silence because if you missed your shots, how did he know you were there?

mostly don't miss ALL your shots. you have 30-100 bullets per clip depending and it will take 2-5 to kill an enemy.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »

so the fact that i have a good k/d ratio due to map awareness and movement is impossible because that doesn't exist in modern CoD games?

am i a unicorn?!

Having a good k/d in random pubbing is proof you have thumbs. Not really a sign of anything else

• Options

CoD1 had some of the best WWII shooting out there. I never like Medal of Honor to tell you the truth. But in CoD1 you get to play Enemy at the Gates so it was awesome.

Day of Defeat was a fun kind of point capture WWII game with a ticket for lives thing going on. It was a fun pick up game. I preferred CS for my serious play.

But I also leagued CS back around 2002 or so with my housemates. We kind of sucked compared to real pro-gamers since we had lives and school but it was fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »

Haha this is me. Mostly because I get all worked up when I come up on someone. I'm all "shit, shit, it's a guy! it's a guy! shoot him, shoot hiiiiiim" and then he has turned around and stabbed me in the middle of my spazz fest

It's also the reason I can't snipe for shit. I get too excited when I see someone entering my FoV.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Was CoD4 the one where you start by parachuting out of an airplane into some village back in World War 2?

工事中
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I am trying to get into battlefield heroes with my cousin and friend but deep down I am just never going to be into death match like I was in my quake 2 through BF1942 days.

I would rather play Torchlight 2 or an MMO or something a tabletop RPG.

desc on
  • Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Was CoD4 the one where you start by parachuting out of an airplane into some village back in World War 2?

Nah, that was CoD1. It was one of the first games that did Normandy as a paratrooper. At least I think it was 1, might of been 2.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

CoD1 had some of the best WWII shooting out there. I never like Medal of Honor to tell you the truth. But in CoD1 you get to play Enemy at the Gates so it was awesome.

Day of Defeat was a fun kind of point capture WWII game with a ticket for lives thing going on. It was a fun pick up game. I preferred CS for my serious play.

But I also leagued CS back around 2002 or so with my housemates. We kind of sucked compared to real pro-gamers since we had lives and school but it was fun.

Real men used the bolt action rifle in CoD1. :^:

工事中
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Didn't mean to start a debate on the MP, my assertion was that the storytelling and single-player gameplay in CoD4 was the best in the series, probably the best in military shooters to date.

I dominated in WaW, MW2 and Black Ops multi, then lost interest in MP, so I won't comment on this aspect of the two recent titles.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I too panic and spray all my bullets around people. It is the best/worst feeling.

• Options

Nah, that was CoD1. It was one of the first games that did Normandy as a paratrooper. At least I think it was 1, might of been 2.

No, it's one of the newer CoD games, too. I borrowed it for PS3 from a friend, but hated it.

工事中
  • Options
    Zoku, have you not played Black Ops 2? Read some reviews that talk about the campaign. It's a huge evolution. Things matter in many and unexpected ways finally.

• Options

No it was 1

MoH Airbourne was actually pretty great but unfortunatly way to short.

• Options
    aw yeah charlie just tapped zoey

i ain't gonna explain that!

• Options
    Day of Defeat was awesome. I loved how competitive that game made the humble bolt-action rifle, over open sights. Using the Kar98k to own people was a blast.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I too panic and spray all my bullets around people. It is the best/worst feeling.

This is one of those things that took forever to control when I played lots of FPS. Even on a pc. By the end I was able to snipe folks with the ak(3 shots you know where they are going, 4th shot will go backwards as far as you are concerned).

Actually best way to learn to control this reflex is either use something pump or bolt action till you are a god with it or use a pistol. Forces you to aim since you don't get a second chance.

But I am off to bed, you homps kept me up 20 minutes longer than I should of been up.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

dude nobody in chat needs u to explain that
    this when he got caught sneaking out?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

spoil that! I have been :(

mostly

trying hard

Tamin on
  • Options

mhm

• Options
    Zoku, have you not played Black Ops 2? Read some reviews that talk about the campaign. It's a huge evolution. Things matter in many and unexpected ways finally.

Holding off for now, as I'm waiting for one of my friends to get it from Gamefly. But I hear it's way better than MW3. The same people who tell me this also tell me it's no CoD4. But that the MP is an improvement from Black Ops, which means I may check it out.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    SHIT SORRY TAMIN

sig.gif
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Spoilers for something I guess

is this another old person reference

i'm hopping on board the youngster bandwagon with DK

who wants to play pokemon for the first time with me and discover this beautiful thing we call aspergers together?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    man i am all about spoilers i cant believe i screwed up with it

sig.gif
  • Options
    nooooooooooooo my dvd is skipping

s1e7 must be a mystery to me!

sig.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Grabbed the first montage I saw on /r/tribes that seemed to have a positive response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMJSUfolsc4

Playing this on a controller just would not work.

Man I miss this game.

Edit: Oh man I found my old favorite montage again on youtube way more easily than expected:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    SHIT SORRY TAMIN

It's alright.
    Just wasn't expecting them to get back together.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    I am trying to get into battlefield heroes with my cousin and friend but deep down I am just never going to be into death match like I was in my quake 2 through BF1942 days.

@desc SPEAKING OF THIS we should make a date to sidequest!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

@desc SPEAKING OF THIS we should make a date to sidequest!

Yes I want to investigate!

As far as I know I am around in the evenings this week.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Should I go back to work for the less than two weeks I still have of my vacation? I'm on a leave of absence and getting everything figured out is going to be a real hassle for only one week on the schedule, in which I might not get any hours. And if I do get hours, I'll be taking them from the people who work there (at a grocery store, for minimum wage) who really need them (we had a huge problem last summer with people competing and complaining about not having enough time on the clock).

But on the other hand, money.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    either's probably fine, Raven.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Man what the hell? Nvidia just announced some stupidly powerful Tegra4 Android handheld

• Options
    Should I go back to work for the less than two weeks I still have of my vacation? I'm on a leave of absence and getting everything figured out is going to be a real hassle for only one week on the schedule, in which I might not get any hours. And if I do get hours, I'll be taking them from the people who work there (at a grocery store, for minimum wage) who really need them (we had a huge problem last summer with people competing and complaining about not having enough time on the clock).

But on the other hand, money.

If you want the money, may as well offer to come back early. If they've got all the staff they need, then mgmt will say so, and you're not any worse off for asking.

• Options
    Almost done with season 6 of west wing. I'm enjoying parts of it but man, I miss Sorkin.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Man what the hell? Nvidia just announced some stupidly powerful Tegra4 Android handheld

Oh no way somebody released a new, better electronic device!?

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Oh no way somebody released a new, better electronic device!?

Ouya, that gamestik thing and now this.

Was the consumer world really clamouring for these things?

This discussion has been closed.