Options

The People are Represented by Two Separate yet Equally Important [Chat]s

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    cass i am a good writer tell me how to get jorbs

oh my god you asked just as i sent prof mori a big ass pm god i hate you im not retyping all that shit i need a lolly a bloobloo

This PM I got is gold, Vanguard. I'd share it, but I don't want you to know the secrets I have just gained. I'll be rich with a whole shelf full of fantasy trash by the end of the year, and I don't want to share any of the glory!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

oh my god you asked just as i sent prof mori a big ass pm god i hate you im not retyping all that shit i need a lolly a bloobloo

What kind of writer is unaware of copy and paste?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    you are not going to be able to quit your day job by becoming a writer

Are there not people whose day job is writing?

Or is this a personal dig?

It's like saying to somebody "you are not going to become an astronaut."

it's a fact, with 99.99% accuracy.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    p
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?
    Hint: It's the Chinese

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

Wow this got to huge post size fast.

I get that the Chinese feel like they have very compelling reasons for why everyone's base are belong to them, but its still fucking bullshit. Claiming sea hundreds of miles away from your mainland, right up to the coastline of every other nation in the region is bullshit. I don't even mean the senkaku thing that could go either way, but claiming all Vietnam and the Philippines territorial waters is objectively indefenceable.

It would be the same as the UK looking at Norway and saying "well, our military is bigger than theirs and they have lots of oil, fuck it their sea belongs to us now".

The U.K. didn't do it to Norway. They did it to Iceland.

Not really. There's fuck all oil between Iceland and the UK. Also we didn't invade them or threaten to invade them or start sending our navy to sail in threatening circles around Iceland.

Yeah but you did do the whole "hundreds of miles away from you right up to the coastline of somebody else" thing there.

EDIT: also you DID send your navy

Source for the navy part? Not saying you're wrong just I never heard of it.

Also I'm looking at the UK licence holdings right now (I work for a north sea operator) and the UK area between Iceland ends well short of the pharoe islands. In other words almost exactly half way between Iceland and the UK. Not "right up to their coastline".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I accidentally some random avatars.

mazzyx_av.png
    mojo_av.png
    silas_pink.jpg

You know, just in case. But now I need to do real get-paid-for stuff.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So if I wanted to be a writer, hypothetically (because other than a strong interest during my childhood and adolescence, I haven't shown any evidence that I would be succesful), what would I do? Just go to school for an Bachelors in Engish and write?

You start typing on your keyboard.

Fuck that.
    FH9cb0f.jpg + C4bRm3E.jpg

What are those things, old man?

Old man? I'm one of the youngest people in chat!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ahh, that is sweet Houn.

But I don't do pink.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

If anybody here is going to be an astronaut. It's me. And I'm very unlikely to be an astronaut.

• Options
    p
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

I get that the Chinese feel like they have very compelling reasons for why everyone's base are belong to them, but its still fucking bullshit. Claiming sea hundreds of miles away from your mainland, right up to the coastline of every other nation in the region is bullshit. I don't even mean the senkaku thing that could go either way, but claiming all Vietnam and the Philippines territorial waters is objectively indefenceable.

It would be the same as the UK looking at Norway and saying "well, our military is bigger than theirs and they have lots of oil, fuck it their sea belongs to us now".

Not really. There's fuck all oil between Iceland and the UK. Also we didn't invade them or threaten to invade them or start sending our navy to sail in threatening circles around Iceland.

Yeah but you did do the whole "hundreds of miles away from you right up to the coastline of somebody else" thing there.

Also I'm looking at the UK licence holdings right now (I work for a north sea operator) and the UK area between Iceland ends well short of the pharoe islands. In other words almost exactly half way between Iceland and the UK. Not "right up to their coastline".

it was a p big thing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

This PM I got is gold, Vanguard. I'd share it, but I don't want you to know the secrets I have just gained. I'll be rich with a whole shelf full of fantasy trash by the end of the year, and I don't want to share any of the glory!

R.A. Silastore

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Silas has pink hair now.
    Pink hair is cool.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

it's like

four clicks to get into my PM box

do you think I am made of clicks???

Anyways, here's the PM, @ me if you got questions, I'm at work so I will respond just not immediately
    Okay so right now I'm working full time as a technical writer and I freelance on the side. I also publish my own comic book that I write and draw. So I have some experience with this, and I wanted to pass my thoughts online.

Do you use Reddit? If not it's a total cesspool, but they have /r/WritingPrompts and /r/writing, both of which are places to get prompts and ideas. I am pretty sure that you can google and get a Random Prompter that will be like AN X DOES Y AND THERE'S Z COMPLICATION. So if you're completely short on ideas but you want to write, try that shit out.

If you want to just write a story, just sit down and write it. Part of being a writer is looking at your first draft and being like 'this is garbage holy shit' and restructuring it and rewriting it and editing it into something good. A first draft is nearly always garbage, so even the best writers go through this. If you just have some ideas you want to get down, do that, if you want to learn to write as a skill, learn to revise.

If you're looking into writing as a career I really don't recommend journalism - that's a dying field. Blogging is the best thing to take up in that stead.

If you're interested in technical writing, a degree helps, but if you know where to look there are people who just need warm bodies to type things out. Right now I'm doing SEO, which is boosting someone up on Google by typing 1000 word blog articles on related stuff and throwing a link and keywords in there.

If you're interested in Freelance, check freelancewritinggigs.com or something like that, just google freelance writing gigs and it comes up, and your local Craigslist every day.

Start working on a portfolio. Mine is up here: http://www.squibproductions.com/

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    p

it was a p big thing

I beat you to it. And that article has the best line:

Not to be confused with the Cold War.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    cass' day job is writing but what she does is like, respectable actual-work stuff

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Fair enough. I won't count on it.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The primary thing you have to learn with writing, well not the primary thing, everything you learn about writing is primary.

But you have to learn to ignore the haters, because if you ever hope to get good, you have to share your work, and you have to prepare to be roasted alive, your innards pulled from your body, and hot coals shoved in.

Seriously, I love writing. ADD issues aside, look at me. Every day I am not spending time with my wife or having to do nothing but work at work, I am writing, somehow. Even if it's just posting on these forums.

How many times have you seen me tell a bad joke? How many times have you seen me say something very clearly meant to garner a response go completely ignored? Lots. Look at my post count. Half of those posts are ignored jokes. That's totally cool with me. I don't care. Doesn't stop me from the next one. Never will. Because there is joy in creation. A lot of people will tell you not to believe your own bullshit, and yes, 9 times out of 10 that's advisable, but to be successful in a world where people will hate you just because you ARE successful or COULD BE successful, you have to believe your own bullshit.

In the world of comedy, which is still writing at its core, it's called eating shit. Writers eat shit too. A lot. Prepare to eat shit. Worst of all, prepare to have a brilliant idea and then hit a brick wall and realize that there is nowhere to go.

Writing is not pretty. It's not fair. It's just like any other creative outlet. People who are worse than you will get attention, and you won't. That's why it's dreadfully important to accept criticism, but still believe in you.

Because if Stephanie Meyer can sell books, if Kevin J Anderson can sell books, if fucking Larry the Goddamn Cable guy can sell books, Moriarty can sell books.

But you're never going to fucking do anything if you sit there and hem and haw about the best way to go about writing.

..what was I saying again?

Ludious on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The Iceland vs England Cod Wars story was told in the Post a Cool Hostorical Fact thread just two weeks ago, so plenty of folks are aware of it still. Plus Mayabird told it well.
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Now let's talk about the Cod Wars, the most ridiculous and hilarious resource wars ever.

In the 1950s and 1970s, Iceland fought Britain three times over cod. The fish. Iceland didn't have much of anything at that time other than cold, lava, sheep, and fishing, and they hadn't gotten the lava to be economically productive yet. To protect its fishing interests, Iceland expanded its territorial waters out and banned anyone else from fishing there. Meanwhile, Britain wanted its fish and chips. A short breakdown:

British fishing trawlers went into newly claimed exclusively Icelandic waters. The Icelandic Coast Guard in all its dinky glory made specialized net cutters to slice their lines and thusly made the trawlers lose their catches. The Royal Navy got sent out to protect the fishing trawlers. Note that both sides are NATO members. It wouldn't do for either side to start shooting the other, so they just started ramming each other. It's the 1970s, and the Royal Navy is putting wooden bumpers on the hulls of its warships so it can ram Icelandic coast guard cutters, which are ramming fishing boats. There did end up being shooting; one of the Icelandic vessels put together a potato gun to fire at the Royal Navy. A potato gun. On a tiny little coast guard vessel, shooting potato bits at the Royal Navy ships trying to ram them.

Long story short, the Icelanders finally got the Brits to bugger off so they could protect and manage their cod stocks properly. This is why Iceland still has a cod fishery after pretty much all the rest of the Atlantic cod fisheries collapsed from over-fishing.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Pony Minaj avatar, acquired.

• Options
    cass' day job is writing but what she does is like, respectable actual-work stuff

I'm sure there's a reasonable amount of utterly disgusting erotic slash that she "has" to do for work too.

Even if she is just pasting it up in the kitchen. Even when people ask her to stop.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Cass is apparently a 50 year old secretary. Typing out each form letter just like she did on the ole clickity clack in the good days.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    If the 3rd Cod War was fought by ramming marine vessels, the 4th Cod War will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

Cass is apparently a 50 year old secretary. Typing out each form letter just like she did in on the ole clickity clack the good days.

i'm trying to put white out on my screen but it won't delete?????????????

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    I accidentally some random avatars.

mazzyx_av.png
    mojo_av.png
    silas_pink.jpg

You know, just in case. But now I need to do real get-paid-for stuff.

Gracias! I'll make the switch after work.

• Options
    For what it's worth, I'm not actually under the illusion that I have a career as a "write whatever I want" guy ahead of me.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Don't worry ludious. I read and subsequently disapprove of every bad joke you post, even if I don't reply. It's a shame the disagree button is gone.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    @solomaxwell6

solomaxwell6pinkhair.jpg

Too much? :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    every time I feel bad I read lud's posting history and think to myself "atleast my jokes aren't that bad"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Don't worry ludious. I read and subsequently disapprove of every bad joke you post, even if I don't reply. It's a shame the disagree button is gone.

Oh yeah, well

five_guys_burgers.jpg

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    So if I wanted to be a writer, hypothetically (because other than a strong interest during my childhood and adolescence, I haven't shown any evidence that I would be succesful), what would I do? Just go to school for an Bachelors in Engish and write?

You start typing on your keyboard.

Fuck that.
    FH9cb0f.jpg + C4bRm3E.jpg

What are those things, old man?

Old man? I'm one of the youngest people in chat!

Yeah, I'm one of the oldest, too.

• Options
    Wow, that looks good. I gotta try Five Guys some day.

• Options
    I desperately want to remove all the mystique around writing where people see writers as these inherently gifted creative Gods who only drink black coffee and write beautiful, tortured art on rainy days

I mean

I only drink coffee with vanilla and caramel coffee mate and sugar.

• Options
    Wow, that looks good. I gotta try Five Guys some day.

You should try it and PM DK each bite you take

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    The primary thing you have to learn with writing, well not the primary thing, everything you learn about writing is primary.

But you have to learn to ignore the haters, because if you ever hope to get good, you have to share your work, and you have to prepare to be roasted alive, your innards pulled from your body, and hot coals shoved in.

Seriously, I love writing. ADD issues aside, look at me. Every day I am not spending time with my wife or having to do nothing but work at work, I am writing, somehow. Even if it's just posting on these forums.

How many times have you seen me tell a bad joke? How many times have you seen me say something very clearly meant to garner a response go completely ignored? Lots. Look at my post count. Half of those posts are ignored jokes. That's totally cool with me. I don't care. Doesn't stop me from the next one. Never will. Because there is joy in creation. A lot of people will tell you not to believe your own bullshit, and yes, 9 times out of 10 that's advisable, but to be successful in a world where people will hate you just because you ARE successful or COULD BE successful, you have to believe your own bullshit.

In the world of comedy, which is still writing at its core, it's called eating shit. Writers eat shit too. A lot. Prepare to eat shit. Worst of all, prepare to have a brilliant idea and then hit a brick wall and realize that there is nowhere to go.

Writing is not pretty. It's not fair. It's just like any other creative outlet. People who are worse than you will get attention, and you won't. That's why it's dreadfully important to accept criticism, but still believe in you.

Because if Stephanie Meyer can sell books, if Kevin J Anderson can sell books, if fucking Larry the Goddamn Cable guy can sell books, Moriarty can sell books.

But you're never going to fucking do anything if you sit there and hem and haw about the best way to go about writing.

..what was I saying again?

This advice pretty much applies to any discipline. Just go fucking do it, and be prepared to fail and learn from your fails.

Of course, easier said than done, which is why I don't do anything.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    po
    p
    op

it was a p big thing
    We are just comparing apples and oranges now. This started off as "its bullshit to include the coastline of another nation as part of your official territorial waters". Then it moved to "ah but you claimed all of icelands oil" (we didn't and there isn't any anyway). Now its at "you had fishing boats close to Iceland".

See how all these things are massively different in terms of severity?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Real talk: I have been published a handful of times and I'm working on a couple different projects that could turn into things. Books of poetry win awards all the time as many are published by universities supported by individuals/institutions who award "winning" manuscripts. Most times this means your book is printed. Occasionally you get money (very little 0-$1000 is the average).

Regardless, it doesn't really matter if I win or lose because books of poetry don't really sell. The vast majority are printed in editions of less than 1000 copies. If you sell 1000 copies, you are a superstar in the world of poetry.

However, you're still not going to survive on that. John Ashbery, the most decorated author in the history of American letters, who has won over 40 different prizes including the Pulitzer and National Book Awards, has never been able to "just be a poet".

• Options
    Five Guys is pretty yum.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Sharing post! I don't have anyone to tell this to, so the bold amongst you will have to suffice.

Be warned! It is a post about sex! Because I had the most amazing sex in recent memory last night! Holy shit! It's still incredible to me that after 18 years of monogamy we can still do new things and be blown away by how great it is to be with each other.

Without going into too much detail,
    I'm in awe of how much she can do things to turn me on while standing mostly on tiptoes, blindfolded and without the use of her hands.

I married the sexiest woman on the planet.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @solomaxwell6

solomaxwell6pinkhair.jpg

Too much? :P

Pinkception

• Options
    Houn wrote: »
    Of course, easier said than done, which is why I don't do anything.

Goddamn, I fucking hear that.

• Options
    To be fair, there is something magical about super gifted writers.

Neil Gaiman retweeted a post by someone I am assuming is either a neighbor/assistant/family member

and it said something to the effect of

"I just heard Neil Gaiman run by chasing a dog saying "I don't understand your philosophy!"

only neil gaiman would try to understand the philosophy of a dog.

This discussion has been closed.