Options

The People are Represented by Two Separate yet Equally Important [Chat]s

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Hrmpfh.

I'm not sure that I could respect myself if I worked for a for profit school. But I'm not sure I could respect myself if I keep working where I'm working now forever, either.

Hrmpfh.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    if i ever got five guys i would not be able to stop making jokes about having five guys in me

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2013
    nm

Vanguard on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    But, also, you don't have to be Neil Gaiman to be a decent writer with a career.

Because, really, there is only one Neil Gaiman in human history, and only maybe a few dozen out of billions on that level.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Sharing post! I don't have anyone to tell this to, so the bold amongst you will have to suffice.

Be warned! It is a post about sex! Because I had the most amazing sex in recent memory last night! Holy shit! It's still incredible to me that after 18 years of monogamy we can still do new things and be blown away by how great it is to be with each other.

Without going into too much detail,
    I'm in awe of how much she can do things to turn me on while standing mostly on tiptoes, blindfolded and without the use of her hands.

I married the sexiest woman on the planet.

This is a side of spool32 that I never thought existed.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    if i ever got five guys i would not be able to stop making jokes about having five guys in me

For you it was just Tuesday.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Maybe a couple hundred tops.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    solomaxwell6

solomaxwell6pinkhair.jpg

Too much? :P

Thank you! There's no such thing as too much Minaj.

I don't want to save it to this computer, but I'll add it after work.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    CptRugged: I'm sorry Minaj-san. But I can't date students.
    Kasumi Minaj: Rugged-chan ba.. ba.. BAKA!

cptrugged on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Real talk: I have been published a handful of times and I'm working on a couple different projects that could turn into things.

I've been published too!
    Press Releases totally count!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    po
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    p
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?
    Hint: It's the Chinese
    op

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

Wow this got to huge post size fast.

I get that the Chinese feel like they have very compelling reasons for why everyone's base are belong to them, but its still fucking bullshit. Claiming sea hundreds of miles away from your mainland, right up to the coastline of every other nation in the region is bullshit. I don't even mean the senkaku thing that could go either way, but claiming all Vietnam and the Philippines territorial waters is objectively indefenceable.

It would be the same as the UK looking at Norway and saying "well, our military is bigger than theirs and they have lots of oil, fuck it their sea belongs to us now".

The U.K. didn't do it to Norway. They did it to Iceland.

Not really. There's fuck all oil between Iceland and the UK. Also we didn't invade them or threaten to invade them or start sending our navy to sail in threatening circles around Iceland.

Yeah but you did do the whole "hundreds of miles away from you right up to the coastline of somebody else" thing there.

EDIT: also you DID send your navy

Source for the navy part? Not saying you're wrong just I never heard of it.

Also I'm looking at the UK licence holdings right now (I work for a north sea operator) and the UK area between Iceland ends well short of the pharoe islands. In other words almost exactly half way between Iceland and the UK. Not "right up to their coastline".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

it was a p big thing
    We are just comparing apples and oranges now. This started off as "its bullshit to include the coastline of another nation as part of your official territorial waters". Then it moved to "ah but you claimed all of icelands oil" (we didn't and there isn't any anyway). Now its at "you had fishing boats close to Iceland".

See how all these things are massively different in terms of severity?

we never said you claimed their oil. That was just you reading into it. We were always referring to the cod wars, as an example of one country going all NUH UH about another's EEZ.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    po
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    p
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?
    Hint: It's the Chinese
    op

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

Wow this got to huge post size fast.

I get that the Chinese feel like they have very compelling reasons for why everyone's base are belong to them, but its still fucking bullshit. Claiming sea hundreds of miles away from your mainland, right up to the coastline of every other nation in the region is bullshit. I don't even mean the senkaku thing that could go either way, but claiming all Vietnam and the Philippines territorial waters is objectively indefenceable.

It would be the same as the UK looking at Norway and saying "well, our military is bigger than theirs and they have lots of oil, fuck it their sea belongs to us now".

The U.K. didn't do it to Norway. They did it to Iceland.

Not really. There's fuck all oil between Iceland and the UK. Also we didn't invade them or threaten to invade them or start sending our navy to sail in threatening circles around Iceland.

Yeah but you did do the whole "hundreds of miles away from you right up to the coastline of somebody else" thing there.

EDIT: also you DID send your navy

Source for the navy part? Not saying you're wrong just I never heard of it.

Also I'm looking at the UK licence holdings right now (I work for a north sea operator) and the UK area between Iceland ends well short of the pharoe islands. In other words almost exactly half way between Iceland and the UK. Not "right up to their coastline".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

it was a p big thing
    We are just comparing apples and oranges now. This started off as "its bullshit to include the coastline of another nation as part of your official territorial waters". Then it moved to "ah but you claimed all of icelands oil" (we didn't and there isn't any anyway). Now its at "you had fishing boats close to Iceland".

See how all these things are massively different in terms of severity?

Vietnam argument is over oil. Most of the dancing is done with fishing ships over EEZs with the Philippines.

There is a lot more similarity here than I think you realize.

Hell Senkaku/Diaoyu is mostly fishing ships playing chicken with the coast guard or was till recently when the Chinese decided to fly some planes over the island.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Hrmpfh.

I'm not sure that I could respect myself if I worked for a for profit school. But I'm not sure I could respect myself if I keep working where I'm working now forever, either.

Hrmpfh.

dude if you got tenure at a for profit university you could buy a bitch boy college student to respect you

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Real talk: I have been published a handful of times and I'm working on a couple different projects that could turn into things.

I've been published too!

Well counting that, I've been published 100+ times

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    But, also, you don't have to be Neil Gaiman to be a decent writer with a career.

Because, really, there is only one Neil Gaiman in human history, and only maybe a few dozen out of billions on that level.

I just finished The Graveyard Book last night. I liked it!

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I'VE BEEN PUBLISHED TOO LIKE EIGHTY MILLION TIMES AND I WON A NEWBERRY AWARD BUT I TURNED IT DOWN BECAUSE IT WAS TOO PEDESTRIAN FOR ME AND THEN I GOT LUNCH WITH JAY Z. CASS IS SURPRISED, THIS IS STRAIGHT GANGSTER.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Had a customer call us last Friday, claiming her husband had come in to get some eclairs, that one of our employees had purposefully taken a long time to fill the order, had "mockingly misunderstood" him because he was Asian (later, flat out saying our employee was racist), then had grabbed the product he wanted bare-handed and smashed it around in the box, at which point the customer left. She demanded both the order her husband had come in for, for free, plus $50 in store credit.

Oh and this had happened on Tuesday, with her waiting until Friday to call.

So we were a little shocked.

Then we went to the video. Which showed the customer being helped in under 30 seconds from the time he walked in the door. And the employee indicating the product the customer wanted on the first try. And packing the box correctly. When the employee got it up to the counter it shifted a bit, so she reshuffled everything in the box. Then the customer yells and storms out.

So we called the woman back and told her all this. She of course didn't believe it. She said we wanted to see the video. She said she was coming in on Saturday. So we prepared.

She didn't show. Not on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

She came in today though. Demanded to see it. So we showed it to her. Showed her that every single thing she'd claimed didn't happen. But of course, that didn't matter to her. Her righteous indignation over something that never actually happened was all she needed to still demand free product and store credit. She claimed we had no idea what we were doing, that we didn't know how to pack orders, that our employees grabbed things with their bare hands.

The store manager was kind of out of her element at this point, with the woman getting progressively more upset, so she went and got the owner. He came out and tried to explain it to the woman again, they watched the video, he pointed out that nothing she claimed happened actually happened. She still didn't care. She said he didn't know how to run a business, treating customers this way.

So he went and got an eclair, held it by the wrapper, held it in front of her and asked where his hand was touching it. She said she didn't care, he was still touching it.

He takes it out of the wrapper.

Jams his finger in the end where the custard gets put in.

Digs his fingers into the chocolate icing on the top.

And shakes it in her face.

And says "Lady, I made these eclairs with my bare hands, my hands have been all over them." and slaps it down on the counter.

Then tells her to shop at one of our competitors (who are actually good friends) and tell them we sent her.

Then she went and made a Yelp review, repeating all her lies, and we called her out publicly on it using the business Yelp account.

(I have video of the eclair waving.)

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I just signed up for weight watchers

jesus christ I get a lot of points to spend every day

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    well la-di-da

I won a darwin award

• Options
    Hrmpfh.

Hrmpfh.

For-profit schools are a cancer on our society, and they leech off veterans, leaving them broke and unable to find work with their worthless degrees.

If that helps.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I've been published over 22,000 times.
    POASTS COUNT

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Every published writer is actually James Patterson.

• Options

I just finished The Graveyard Book last night. I liked it!

I haven't read that yet but I wanna.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Sharing post! I don't have anyone to tell this to, so the bold amongst you will have to suffice.

Be warned! It is a post about sex! Because I had the most amazing sex in recent memory last night! Holy shit! It's still incredible to me that after 18 years of monogamy we can still do new things and be blown away by how great it is to be with each other.

I'm in awe of how much she can do things to turn me on while standing mostly on tiptoes, blindfolded and without the use of her hands.

It's a side of spool that I've never been able to forget existed.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    (I have that dvd)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Of course, easier said than done, which is why I don't do anything.

Goddamn, I fucking hear that.

Amen brother. I've been spending a lot of time the last few years contemplating the vicious cycle I'm in of getting no real fulfillment from my job, then being so mentally exhausted by the end of the day that when I do have free time, I often choose to spend it consuming media as a method of escapism and mental disconnection, only to then later feel guilt about wasting my time, as the only times I truly am happy are when I'm engaged in some act of creation, be it as mundane as writing a forum post or discussing a process change at work, or as significant and tangible as building my arcade stick.

I want that feeling. I want to pour my energy into making something, anything, via words or wood or code, so long as I can sit back at the end of the day and say, "Yes, I fucking made that. I accomplished something."

But, even recognizing this pattern I'm in, I lack the willpower to generally do anything about it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Hrmpfh.

Hrmpfh.

dude if you got tenure at a for profit university you could buy a bitch boy college student to respect you

This is not the winning argument one might think it is.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've been published. And now I've been cited too.

I'm a big fucking deal.

My brother has an actual book though. So he's winning right now. Even if my parents have bought more copies than the rest of the world combined.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

This is the reason you eat at five guys.

I mean, it's damn good, too, but if you're not making five guys in you jokes you're doing five guys wrong.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

:):):)

This morning on the phone with her, she's in the middle of a sentence, and stops, then goes
    "Oh shit! We left the nipple clamps out..."

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    CHAPTER ONE
    Every published writer is

CHAPTER 2
    actually James Patterson.

Patterson'd that for you

• Options
    Truly, Matt has shown me a scandalous and sultry side of the confection industry I thought impossible outside of an erotic bakery.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    story of a shitty customer

is your store in the city proper? i will come buy an eclair sometime just for this story

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    you should be ashamed, spool

children read this forum

• Options
    Of course, easier said than done, which is why I don't do anything.

Goddamn, I fucking hear that.

Amen brother. I've been spending a lot of time the last few years contemplating the vicious cycle I'm in of getting no real fulfillment from my job, then being so mentally exhausted by the end of the day that when I do have free time, I often choose to spend it consuming media as a method of escapism and mental disconnection, only to then later feel guilt about wasting my time, as the only times I truly am happy are when I'm engaged in some act of creation, be it as mundane as writing a forum post or discussing a process change at work, or as significant and tangible as building my arcade stick.

I want that feeling. I want to pour my energy into making something, anything, via words or wood or code, so long as I can sit back at the end of the day and say, "Yes, I fucking made that. I accomplished something."

But, even recognizing this pattern I'm in, I lack the willpower to generally do anything about it.

This is hard and absolutely soul-crushing, but you have to make the effort. You have to fail. You have to be okay with that failure. And you have to recognize what works and then use that in the next thing you do, which will also probably fail. Keep doing this until you do something that doesn't fail. Eventually, it won't be the final product that gets your wheels spinning, but the love for the process.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm hungry and gotts da shakes. Good thing I stashed some Lucozade here!

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Had a customer call us last Friday, claiming her husband had come in to get some eclairs, that one of our employees had purposefully taken a long time to fill the order, had "mockingly misunderstood" him because he was Asian (later, flat out saying our employee was racist), then had grabbed the product he wanted bare-handed and smashed it around in the box, at which point the customer left. She demanded both the order her husband had come in for, for free, plus $50 in store credit.

Oh and this had happened on Tuesday, with her waiting until Friday to call.

So we were a little shocked.

Then we went to the video. Which showed the customer being helped in under 30 seconds from the time he walked in the door. And the employee indicating the product the customer wanted on the first try. And packing the box correctly. When the employee got it up to the counter it shifted a bit, so she reshuffled everything in the box. Then the customer yells and storms out.

So we called the woman back and told her all this. She of course didn't believe it. She said we wanted to see the video. She said she was coming in on Saturday. So we prepared.

She didn't show. Not on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

She came in today though. Demanded to see it. So we showed it to her. Showed her that every single thing she'd claimed didn't happen. But of course, that didn't matter to her. Her righteous indignation over something that never actually happened was all she needed to still demand free product and store credit. She claimed we had no idea what we were doing, that we didn't know how to pack orders, that our employees grabbed things with their bare hands.

The store manager was kind of out of her element at this point, with the woman getting progressively more upset, so she went and got the owner. He came out and tried to explain it to the woman again, they watched the video, he pointed out that nothing she claimed happened actually happened. She still didn't care. She said he didn't know how to run a business, treating customers this way.

So he went and got an eclair, held it by the wrapper, held it in front of her and asked where his hand was touching it. She said she didn't care, he was still touching it.

He takes it out of the wrapper.

Jams his finger in the end where the custard gets put in.

Digs his fingers into the chocolate icing on the top.

And shakes it in her face.

And says "Lady, I made these eclairs with my bare hands, my hands have been all over them." and slaps it down on the counter.

Then tells her to shop at one of our competitors (who are actually good friends) and tell them we sent her.

Then she went and made a Yelp review, repeating all her lies, and we called her out publicly on it using the business Yelp account.

(I have video of the eclair waving.)

You can be shot in France for waving an eclair at someone.
    Gutsy move.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

I've been published too!

when I was in PR, I got accidentally quoted in the WSJ instead of a client

• Options
    spool is into some kinky shit yo

i would describe his sex life as. . .(wait for it). . .liberal

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    you should be ashamed, spool

children read this forum

Nerd isn't here any more.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.