As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Mists of Pandaria. I farmed up 150 Pieces of Meat and all I got was this lousy belt.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The ex-Hunter part of me makes me wonder which cloak will be set up to work for them. And even though Enh has shittastic AOE, the last thing I want is a cleave cloak. I was really hoping for a Haste proc for melee.

Do you guys have tips for building a Heroic progresion mindset? Our raid right now just seems to get frustrated during Jin'rokh attempts and so we get worse and worse until our time is up and we swap back to Normals. I hate it. I would rather spend 4 hours wiping to a heroic fight than do more Normals.

This is exactly what happened to our group at the end of DS raiding. We only ever got through the first boss because people couldn't be bothered to push fights anymore. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, because if we're not wiping to get new kills, I'm not happy.

your mindset is exactly the heroic mindset. When we get to a new progression boss we say "lets start wiping"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The pet already does 60% of the Hunter's damage in BM spec. What higher percentage do you want?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Why would they get rid of Slice & Dice? I don't think Rogues really have an issue with too many buttons. There are a lot of classes (*cough*Hunters*cough*) that need to be looked at for ability bloat before Rogues :P

(they seriously need to just redesign Beast Master entirely... why does it have Serpent Sting? That is such a pointless ability... I wish more of the abilities had anything remotely to do with pet damage too for the spec that is centered around pet damage... )

I don't know hunters very well. It was just an example. All the classes need their bloat looked at. There shouldn't be a "my class first," but all of them trimmed up.

SnD is passive in terms of you just put it up and only care when it's about falls off. It's not like other active buffs that you apply, like say, Pillar of Frost or heroism or vendetta. Those abilities have a cool down and you don't always want to use them on cooldown, but save them for the opportune moment. That adds to the skill cap and makes the fight interesting.

SnD is, "oh, better put up my white attack speed increase" cause that's real fun.

Point is! Too many buttons on all classes that can be trimmed. I don't need 60 keybinds. I think hunters have 80 or so, last time I asked.

A couple of edits. Damn phone.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    your mindset is exactly the heroic mindset. When we get to a new progression boss we say "lets start wiping"

Well, mine is right from my older raiding days (was part of a progressed 25M guild in Wrath). It's the rest of the raid I have to convince.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So I just started a totally fresh guy after an extended break, and I gotta say, the monk is pretty cool. I'm only 15 right now, but I think it might be interesting enough to warrant one more leveling trip. I stuck with dps kickpunching right now, but I'd like to primarily be a healer like all my past characters. I think I'll keep leveling as dps for now and just get dual spec for dungeons. I'm not super interested in tanking, but people seem to rave about that spec, too.

This is also the first time I've noticed CRZ (or whatever it is). There was a metric buttload of players in both Westfall and Redridge last night and this morning for the short time I was on before work. I'm used to ghost town zones. It was really weird. I'm not sure if I care for it.

The only thing I'm worried about is finding the cash to pay for gouged glyphs. I guess I can skip them while leveling. Combine that with 2 gathering professions, and I should be able to clean up a bit on low level mats. At least enough to fund bags and mounts and whatnot.

I only read a little about the monk buff (the every 10 levels xp one) when people were seriously using it. Do I need to spam dungeons when I get it until it runs out or does it run the clock all the time now and is largely pointless?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The pet already does 60% of the Hunter's damage in BM spec. What higher percentage do you want?

I don't want a higher percentage, I just want more active abilities that feel like things that influence pet damage. Right now you have Kill Command and.... I guess Bestial Wrath. Everything else is a hunter shot or something. Focus Fire has *some* pet synergy but it feels very passive. I seriously don't notice any difference when I press it.

Like, instead of Serpent Sting, why not an ability that causes your pet to have a Venomous Bite for a few seconds? Or something like that. Something where I can press a button and it feels like my pet is doing something special.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I believe the buff pauses when you log out. Also, to my knowledge it's worth going and getting the buff every time it drops off.

As for glyphs, keep your herbs and find a friend to make you inks/glyphs. Offer to have them keep the uncommon inks as a tip(?).

Otherwise, just ask around and you can likely find decent glyph prices. Subjective but my realm has a piss poor glyph market, where everything is 12g or less.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Why would they get rid of Slice & Dice? I don't think Rogues really have an issue with too many buttons. There are a lot of classes (*cough*Hunters*cough*) that need to be looked at for ability bloat before Rogues :P

(they seriously need to just redesign Beast Master entirely... why does it have Serpent Sting? That is such a pointless ability... I wish more of the abilities had anything remotely to do with pet damage too for the spec that is centered around pet damage... )

I don't know hunters very well. It was just an example. All the classes need their bloat looked at. There shouldn't be a "my class first," but all of them trimmed up.

SnD is passive in terms of you just put it up and only care when it's about falls off. It's not like other active buffs that you apply, like say, Pillar of Frost or heroism or vendetta. Those abilities have a cool down and you don't always want to use them on cooldown, but save them for the opportune moment. That adds to the skill cap and makes the fight interesting.

SnD is, "oh, better put up my white attack speed increase" cause that's real fun.

Point is! Too many buttons on all classes that can be trimmed. I don't need 60 keybinds. I think hunters have 80 or so, last time I asked.

SnD certainly isn't the only "keep this buff up all the time or as much as possible" rotational ability, though. Savage Roar, Inquisition, Tiger Palm are essentially the same kind of thing. There are probably a couple other specs with something similar in their rotation, but not under a combo-point-esque constraint.

If you're completely opposed to these sorts of mechanics in general, then that's a different matter, but it's certainly not an experience limited to rogues.

Edit: Ability bloat is definitely an issue, but I'm not sure it's reasonably solved by simplifying rotations too much and risking burst issues.

forty on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Simple question I've had for years: if PvP causes so many issues with PvE, why not make all queueing areas instanced; or make a prep area that is instanced, where when you zone in, you are placed in a "PvP state"; where your abilities use their PvP versions and you get your resilience, etc. This way you could develop both sides of the game a bit more independently.

I mean, BGs and Arena are already instanced so why not take another step?

Would it mess up world PvP? You bet. Does that mean world PvP couldn't be managed in other ways? Nope.

their idea is basically that they think classes should function the same way in most environments so that players can jump into pve/pvp without facing a substantial new learning curve or feeling like their class plays 'differently' than they thought it did.

I'm not sure how I really feel about it to be honest. There's already such a learning curve involved in PVEing or PVPing at a level higher than pubbie randoms or LFR that I doubt asking players to learn some different abilities would really matter, especially now that everybody's playing multiple specs and swapping talents pretty frequently. On the other hand I do think there's something to be said for a unified experience and I think it would be pretty weird of something like kil'jaeden's cunning worked the way it does in pve but then was limited or totally different in pvp. That also doesn't account for world pvp, which isn't a huge issue anymore but still pops up from time to time.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    re: the monk buff: you get two hours' worth of buff time every time you do the daily, but it pauses when you're logged out and stacks with itself. So if all you're doing is logging in, doing the daily and a random dungeon or two you'll soon wind up with six hours of it or something like that.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    forty wrote: »

SnD certainly isn't the only "keep this buff up all the time or as much as possible" rotational ability, though. Savage Roar, Inquisition, Tiger Palm are essentially the same kind of thing. There are probably a couple other specs with something similar in their rotation, but not under a combo-point-esque constraint.

If you're completely opposed to these sorts of mechanics in general, then that's a different matter, but it's certainly not an experience limited to rogues.

Edit: Ability bloat is definitely an issue, but I'm not sure it's reasonably solved by simplifying rotations too much and risking burst issues.

If anything Rogues have too many "only press this in X circumstance" buttons than rotational abilities. Which kind of stems from the fact that Blizzard never seemed to want to give us new attack abilities so we kept getting damage mitigation crap. Honestly, do we need Evasion AND Combat Readiness? (albeit the later was at least made a talent).

Though I do kind of like having a lot of tools for different situations - it's just annoying for my bars :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I only read a little about the monk buff (the every 10 levels xp one) when people were seriously using it. Do I need to spam dungeons when I get it until it runs out or does it run the clock all the time now and is largely pointless?
    You should do the Monk daily every day if you can, even if you're not planning on playing WoW otherwise that day. The buff stacks and doesn't tick down while logged out. So if you don't play your Monk for a few days but you bothered to log in and run the daily duel during his downtime, you'll have hours of the buff saved up for a nice long session on the weekend (or whatever).

• Options
    edited June 2013
    re: the monk buff: you get two hours' worth of buff time every time you do the daily, but it pauses when you're logged out and stacks with itself. So if all you're doing is logging in, doing the daily and a random dungeon or two you'll soon wind up with six hours of it or something like that.
    It's only one hour per daily, but you can do the daily and the one-off one that comes every 10 levels in the same day, so some days you will get 2 hours of buff tacked on (or more if you're really pushing through levels). The cap is 24 hours.

Edit: Unrelated to this post, but I don't want to increase my combo. I just wanted to note that overall class representation is a pretty meaningless statistic as far as things like class balance go.

forty on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Excellent info on the monk buff. Thanks. I hadn't realized there was a daily in addition to the every 10.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Tonight: got my last gold challenge mode and the new title, mount, and sweet transmog that goes with that. Then got another raiding with leashes 2 pet (alar one). Then got past hexos in brawl guild (and couple past). Awesome!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    The Melee DPS challenge to get the Wrathion cloak is ridiculously hard, mostly because of those stupid bloods.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what I heard. I felt really bad when our rogue spent like 2 days trying to do it, because I did the ranged one in about 20 seconds.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I managed it in like 4 attempts, but it was brutal. Our bear tank suggested it was easier to do the tank one

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the ranged one is practically impossible for priests. I ended up doing the healing challenge even though my dps set is much better.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    it is kinda too bad about the procs, since now I'll have to actually get the healing cloak

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Apparently you'll need the cloak to do the world boss in 5.4 as well, so even more reason to get it! *vomit*

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Apparently you'll need the cloak to do the world boss in 5.4 as well, so even more reason to get it! *vomit*

He's one of two World Bosses in 5.4. The other is apparently all four Celestials at once? Something like that. But either way, I share the sentiment. What an icky decision to make.

Blizz. I get what you're trying to accomplish, I really do. But it's not going to work. You tried something similar with Galleon, people got pissed off and frustrated. You tried something similar with Oondasta, people got pissed off and frustrated. What you're doing for Ordos, will piss people off and frustrate them. And look what happened after with Galleon/Oondasta; they got nerfed because of that.

I'm fully expecting some sort of nerf or change to happen for Ordos after 5.4 goes live. Hmm.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

He's one of two World Bosses in 5.4. The other is apparently all four Celestials at once? Something like that. But either way, I share the sentiment. What an icky decision to make.

Blizz. I get what you're trying to accomplish, I really do. But it's not going to work. You tried something similar with Galleon, people got pissed off and frustrated. You tried something similar with Oondasta, people got pissed off and frustrated. What you're doing for Ordos, will piss people off and frustrate them. And look what happened after with Galleon/Oondasta; they got nerfed because of that.

I'm fully expecting some sort of nerf or change to happen for Ordos after 5.4 goes live. Hmm.

Best part? Most of the people eligible to fight him won't even want the gear.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah, requiring an item that requires dozens and dozens of completely randomly dropped items, a month-ish of VP, and ancillary quests, in order to do a world boss?

What the fuck are they thinking. There's appealing to the hardcore and then there's appealing to fucking stupid. Even people who want to do the boss, who can do the boss, having a full raid of people with a legendary cloak? People that have to rely entirely on RNG and months of raiding in order to get it?

Good lord. No way that goes live. Right? I mean...that's a level of stupid that exceeds what we've seen so far.

I mean...you want to make it exclusive; I get it. But shit...even doing something like requiring everyone in the raid to be in the same guild would be less fucktarded than requiring a legendary cloak to even participate.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I mean, I remember running Oondasta weekly when 5.2 first hit. I thought it'd be a good idea to get a headstart on some gear while my guild was clearing through ToT for the first time. I got a belt... and nothing else. Nothing else after each and every week. And I ended up replacing that belt fairly early on too (sidegrade, but better itemized).

And this was before the Oondasta nerfs, too. So you can imagine similar happenings with Ordos. I'm willing to bet, by the time something actually drops off Ordos, most people will either not need it or whatever.

In other news, glad to see the Thunderforged system is coming back. Was worried that it might not return, so I'm happy to see that confirmed.
    Yeah, requiring an item that requires dozens and dozens of completely randomly dropped items, a month-ish of VP, and ancillary quests, in order to do a world boss?

What the fuck are they thinking. There's appealing to the hardcore and then there's appealing to fucking stupid. Even people who want to do the boss, who can do the boss, having a full raid of people with a legendary cloak? People that have to rely entirely on RNG and months of raiding in order to get it?

Good lord. No way that goes live. Right? I mean...that's a level of stupid that exceeds what we've seen so far.

I mean...you want to make it exclusive; I get it. But shit...even doing something like requiring everyone in the raid to be in the same guild would be less fucktarded than requiring a legendary cloak to even participate.

Also, forget alts ever getting a chance at Ordos.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »

Best part? Most of the people eligible to fight him won't even want the gear.

I would pay money to have Ordos' loot table be nothing but cloaks.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    blizzard has been trying to get one world boss to be special and for raiders since the start of MoP in order to appease "special snowflakes" I won't say raiders in general since a lot of raiders don't give a fuck, but there is that section of the WoW playerbase who is pissed if people perceived as worse as them get to do the same stuff they do

first is was galleon, who was on a longer timer and at least in theory required more strategy than sha
    first day of release got zerged down, latter spawn timer got reduced since blizzard saw there is no point for a long ass timer on something that gets zerged in 10 mins
    strike one

then came 5.2 and Oondasta was hyped as THE shit, a raid full of 2 heroic guilds being the only ones that would even dare to attempt this bad boy and I quote blizzard here "It may be worth noting though that one of the world bosses, Oondasta, is intended to be crazy-difficult. If you’re not in an organized Heroic-level raid group and teaming up with other Heroic-level raid groups, you’re going to want to stick to the other world boss"
    day one of it being out, gets zerged down, latter iirc spawn timer gets reduced and it's get nerfed, not because it was impossible, but just because it was frustrating to die all the time while zerging it down
    strike two

so 5.4, apparently they went "fuck mechanics lets just gate this motherfucker behind a long ass quest line" making sure that alts, returning player and newer players are completely locked out of this for months. And why, that's the big question here, why do they think that locking so many players out of another zerg fest will in any way contribute anything to the game?

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Wait, a boss that requires you to have a special cloak to kill? No worries, just hide behind the throne when he does his special.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Get into an LFR on Ji-kun, so I know I'm going to have to requeue, that sucks

Ji-kun gives me the hatchling...I think I can deal with it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    Wait, a boss that requires you to have a special cloak to kill? No worries, just hide behind the throne when he does his special.

I see what you did there.

Still have mine in my bank.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Ugh, Hexos is such a fucking cockblock! I can't do my full dps rotation while literally rotating, the best I can get him down to is 10% and that's with my 600 ilvl cloak equipped. I'm 100% sure I'll end up oneshotting the rest of the bosses in the rank once I get past this asshole.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So with the new way the realms work could you create a character on a different realm linked with yours and join a guild on that realm even though you are not on it?

• Options
    Ugh, Hexos is such a fucking cockblock! I can't do my full dps rotation while literally rotating, the best I can get him down to is 10% and that's with my 600 ilvl cloak equipped. I'm 100% sure I'll end up oneshotting the rest of the bosses in the rank once I get past this asshole.

Ugh, yes. The worst part about this for me is that my mainspec is tank. I'm not completely versed in the ways of Windwalker-ing, but I'm not completely inept either. Somewhere in the middle, basically. I can put out good/decent dps, but not great/amazing dps. I do have a seperate dps set which I've been collecting, I think my Windwalker set is 520-ish and my Brewmaster set is 533. But yeah, because I'm not suuuper familiar with WW, I kind of fumble all over that fight. Well, and it's more so the actual maze part. Like I swear to god I'll be through the gap but then NOPE I die because apparently I was a millimeter of a hair off. It's like Disruptron all over again, except worse.

I've pretty much given up on Hexos for now. I either die 5-10 seconds in, or last maybe a minute but have abyssmal dps. I dunno, is there some sort of magic trick to the maze? Am I just doing it wrong? I don't even know.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    i... wow

fuck me

the 5.4 engineering mount is made of DREAMS AND UNICORNS

media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2013/june/skygolem.jpg

WORTH THE WAIT

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    It is, however, a mandatory one month wait to build it given that it requires thirty 1-day cooldowns.

Supposedly it can be sold and used by non-engineers though so it could probably be a cash cow for a while.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I don't really care for the weird goblin face on it. would vastly prefer a standard shredder

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    So, goblin engineers get a mech. What do the gnomish ones get?

• Options
    all engineers are getting it

• Options
    also, did they remove drops from all scenarios?
    because seeing binan village really sucks now without getting 5 stacks of cloth out of the deal

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    also, did they remove drops from all scenarios?
    because seeing binan village really sucks now without getting 5 stacks of cloth out of the deal

No? I am real unsure as I still see green item drops