Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Ghosts and Coblyns coming next week!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    That's good to know about the PS3 version. Means I'll probably pick it up now.

hmm i hadn't thought about that. anyone using both pc and ps3 versions and just play one or the other depending on the mood/tv users/etc?

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    I don't understand why assist the tank on the pull and then follow his targets down the line isn't a standard for everyone. I understand the people who are completely new to the concept of group based mmo's but for everyone else, assist the damn tank and be done with it. I'll mark my pull target so mezzers can prep, and sometimes I'll mark a kill order if it's a really big deal, but that's about it. Hell, I transition to the next kill target when the first one is ~15% to get a head start on threat and to make it obvious which target is next.

Flash is plenty of threat to handle healing aggro and inadvertent contact aggro, which is the only aggro there should be to deal with.

Any mob that peels to the healer can easily be provoked, shield tossed, and shield bashed and then it's locked back onto me for the duration.

Now, guild groups where we all know what we're doing and someone (I won't name names) is running off and pulling in even more mobs and blowing shit up left and right on purpose is an entirely different animal, and really, really fun, but these are also people I know 100% can tighten up and do what needs to be done when it's time to win.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Does the appearance changing bottle allow you to change your name?

No, it does not.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I work the same way rpshoggoth. I mark the target I'm going to pull, but I expect people to simply follow my assist after that. It's much more efficient really and saves everyone time. I also switch at 10-15% to the next target to build up agro. If people are following my assist, Flash should be plenty to keep agro from incidental hits and healing, provided the healing isn't super overgeared or overhealing a lot (I've had both problems).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    I don't understand why assist the tank on the pull and then follow his targets down the line isn't a standard for everyone. I understand the people who are completely new to the concept of group based mmo's but for everyone else, assist the damn tank and be done with it. I'll mark my pull target so mezzers can prep, and sometimes I'll mark a kill order if it's a really big deal, but that's about it. Hell, I transition to the next kill target when the first one is ~15% to get a head start on threat and to make it obvious which target is next.

Flash is plenty of threat to handle healing aggro and inadvertent contact aggro, which is the only aggro there should be to deal with.

Any mob that peels to the healer can easily be provoked, shield tossed, and shield bashed and then it's locked back onto me for the duration.

Now, guild groups where we all know what we're doing and someone (I won't name names) is running off and pulling in even more mobs and blowing shit up left and right on purpose is an entirely different animal, and really, really fun, but these are also people I know 100% can tighten up and do what needs to be done when it's time to win.

This is my first time doing srs DPS in an MMO (usually tank or healer) and I'm finding all the effects and stuff mean often I have no idea who to hit unless the tank marks. I've started just clicking the tank and then the Target of Target, but that is a pain.

Edit = I guess what I'm saying is it's not always the DPS fault it's not clear.

Kafka87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

hmm i hadn't thought about that. anyone using both pc and ps3 versions and just play one or the other depending on the mood/tv users/etc?

I haven't yet, but my plan was to play the PS3 version when I want to just crash on the couch and grind solo. I'd go back to PC for group content where I need to communicate and don't want to futz with controller bindings for all the marking and such.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So I'm starting the long, complicated web of crafting and gathering classes. I'm interested in primarily getting up armory/smithing first, but is there any must-have cross class skills from the others that would be beneficial to have?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Javen wrote: »
    So I'm starting the long, complicated web of crafting and gathering classes. I'm interested in primarily getting up armory/smithing first, but is there any must-have cross class skills from the others that would be beneficial to have?

Mining, Botany, Weaver and Carpenter I've all found directly useful for Armorer/Blacksmith. Really you'll need things from ALL classes at some point, but those are the ones I find myself needing the most often.

e: Not so much CC skills, but other crafting classes that make things you will need a lot of and will save you time/money in the long run to level.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    As far as mats go, definitely. I'm almost considering trying to level everything semi-evenly, though that would take forever

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Armormithing uses leather/cloth based stuff alot. Smithing uses Wood. And they both use Ingots from Goldsmith. It would be tough to get the bonus experience from the tiers simithing everything once but you so far you could atleast grind your way up through without either. I have no idea if it goes through all tiers but up to the 4th tier there has always been a metal only recipe and then of course the components every other tier (ingots, plates and the like).

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

No, it does not.

Bah humbug!

Is there a paid service for this yet in the Mog Station?

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular

I /think/ the system supports focus and assist mechanics (I haven't grouped as anything but a tank yet) and for sure the effects make it impossible to see what is going on as soon as you go above solo content. All of that stuff can be turned down or off in a granular fashion, which is what I did, because dayum.

I find most pugs either follow my lead automatically or respond after I let them know that is what I am doing. The ones that don't get to tank and die repeatedly, which is why I think the lack of durability loss on death is a damn shame.

I save my ohshit buttons for the healer.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Kafka87 wrote: »

This is my first time doing srs DPS in an MMO (usually tank or healer) and I'm finding all the effects and stuff mean often I have no idea who to hit unless the tank marks. I've started just clicking the tank and then the Target of Target, but that is a pain.

My plan as DPS is simple.

1) Do what the tank tells me to do.
    2) If the tank tells me nothing, target what the tank targets
    3) Grab a mob off the healer if the tank does not.

The only time this really failed me last night was when a new mob walked ontop of the corpse of a previously marked mob, and from where I was standing it looked like the tank had remarked that mob as Target 1, so I started on it for about 10 seconds. Then the mark vanished and I went after the primary mob.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Ok, so if I want in Ghost, I can just ask one of you folks for an invite when I'm in game? I finally have a wee thaumaturge at level 11, so I'm still getting used to the game. I love it so much. My playtime is usually later at night, and due to small child/proximity to sleeping spouse while playing, I'm not often able to chat much. But, I'd love to have people to do dungeons with, etc.!

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Good Tanks will tab target through the aggro targets and build up better threat on each than AoE enmity generators or Flash will allow for. This is helpful for DPS like the Summoner who very much wants to spread his AoE to the entire group of enemies (This is awesome for burning down groups and doesn't add TOO much aggro, but it's more than just Flash will allow for)

Because of the tab targeting, assisting off the Tank isn't necessarily the best idea as the target may change rapidly and the Tank may just be building threat up on a secondary target instead of focusing on it. This is why It's good to mark the targets either in the order you want them to go down (1, 2, 3, etc) Or mention before hand that you'll be doing it alphabetically (First attacked target will always be the highest target in the alphabet so if your first target ends up being 'S' the next 3 will be 'T' 'U' 'V' respectively (in terms of what order you should take them down.

The latter tactic only works if there is no specific order you need to take down a group, I generally default to this tactic if there is no mention of any tactic ahead of time as it seems to be becoming widely accepted as a general rule.

Then of course you want to mark targets to be CCed so people don't attack them, or just so they are generally aware that they are about to be CCed.

But yeah Target's Target is your friend, and having a Focus Target on the Tank isn't a bad idea either, especially if you are doing some spot healing on the side.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Karrmer wrote: »
    A lot of the top guild players really are blacklisting people for ending Dark Devices early and such, but if you aren't in there grinding it yourself you won't ever be in their guild and you probably don't give a shit.

And this is a game where raids are instances, it's not like it's 1999 EverQuest so let the ragers cry about it and keep killing the lambs. It makes me laugh pretty hard when they all start raging in chat, at least.
    Well...actually, don't forget that you can't Duty Finder some of the endgame content. It's not an idle threat to be blacklisted if your server is small if they actually could enforce it.

No, it's just stupid FF11 elitist assholes coming over to FF14 and using the exploits they learned in beta to try and wiggle their e-peen around. I hope Square Enix bans the lot of them, but more likely than not they'll let them get away with it (again) and just remove all EXP from FATE mobs, meaning you only get EXP for finishing the FATE, not for grinding off the monsters. In other words, the rest of us suffer after the assholes got what they wanted. Oh well.

Edit: Apparently this FATE was nerfed this morning? Hey, maybe they'll actually keep up on this shit this time around?

Thing is I don't see abusing fates any worse that abusing dungeon mechanics for speed runs. I'm mean it the same thing you are just grinding a different number in a way that square enix did not intend.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2013

Good Tanks will tab target through the aggro targets and build up better threat on each than AoE enmity generators or Flash will allow for. This is helpful for DPS like the Summoner who very much wants to spread his AoE to the entire group of enemies (This is awesome for burning down groups and doesn't add TOO much aggro, but it's more than just Flash will allow for)

Because of the tab targeting, assisting off the Tank isn't necessarily the best idea as the target may change rapidly and the Tank may just be building threat up on a secondary target instead of focusing on it. This is why It's good to mark the targets either in the order you want them to go down (1, 2, 3, etc) Or mention before hand that you'll be doing it alphabetically (First attacked target will always be the highest target in the alphabet so if your first target ends up being 'S' the next 3 will be 'T' 'U' 'V' respectively (in terms of what order you should take them down.

The latter tactic only works if there is no specific order you need to take down a group, I generally default to this tactic if there is no mention of any tactic ahead of time as it seems to be becoming widely accepted as a general rule.

Then of course you want to mark targets to be CCed so people don't attack them, or just so they are generally aware that they are about to be CCed.

But yeah Target's Target is your friend, and having a Focus Target on the Tank isn't a bad idea either, especially if you are doing some spot healing on the side.

The way I handled this in WoW was always to mark primary target, second target, and any CC targets. I had primary and secondary marks hotkeyed, which made it pretty easy to update target marks on the fly.

It was fairly idiot proof and made it difficult to argue that you didn't know what you should be attacking.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    WAR had FATE/Public Quest abusing galore. The trick was to get an easy one to Stage 2 and then farm, farm, farm the Mobs for a few days until they reset the servers. Gosh, now that just puts the "FUN" in MMORPG.

• Options
    edited September 2013

The way I handled this in WoW was always to mark primary target, second target, and any CC targets. I had primary and secondary marks hotkeyed, which made it pretty easy to update target marks on the fly.

It was fairly idiot proof and made it difficult to argue that you didn't know what you should be attacking.

Yup that's typically what we do in FFXIV as well. Eliminates any confusion, especially with big beautiful markers with big numbers on them.

It's hard to miss who you should be attacking with a big number 1 on their head, and then it naturally follows to attack the glaring number 2 next :D

There are even 3 markers with chains on them (numbered as well of course) to denote CCed targets if you like. And markers with a big red "NO" symbol (also numbered) to mark when you don't want something touched at all.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Javen wrote: »

There are three really pivotal skills and a series of "also really really good but not immediately essential". If you're serious about crafting, expect yourself to be getting most of the Crafting classes to level 43~.

The three prize skills though are probably in no particular order...

1) Careful Synthesis from Weaver 15. When it comes to progress, you want reliability. Careful Synthesis 2 is ideal but requires significant investment, 43ish I believe?

2) Hasty Touch from Culinarian 15. CP is at a premium, and the success rate of this skill is easily overcome with Steady Hand or even more preferably, Steady Hand 2 from Culinarian 37.

3) Waste Not Want Not from Leatherworker. Rein in your durability expenses yo. The upgraded tier of this skill is, yet again, really good to have but requires going balls deep.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    WAR had FATE/Public Quest abusing galore. The trick was to get an easy one to Stage 2 and then farm, farm, farm the Mobs for a few days until they reset the servers. Gosh, now that just puts the "FUN" in MMORPG.

There's no Fun in MMORPG

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a PS3 copy available for one of you, and I should have a PC copy within the hour. Any takers? (Retail cost, not looking to make profit on this.)

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    I have a PS3 copy available for one of you, and I should have a PC copy within the hour. Any takers? (Retail cost, not looking to make profit on this.)

What's in the retail box copy for the PC?

Sorry I haven't been on a lot- had an event in TSW and babysitting duties recently.

Out of curiosity, anyone here a Bard? I'm wondering how they play, especially compared to XI's Bard.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular

Such a thing exists? Can it be purchased with in-game currency? This will help alleviate my ultimate issue... not being satisfied with my appearance and wanting to change it!

• Options
    edited September 2013

I'd be interested in the PS3 copy. Message me the price and what shipping would cost.

e: Actually, would it even require shipping? do I need the disc? Or can I just use the code to attach the PS3 copy to my account and then DL it from PSN?

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    am0n wrote: »

Such a thing exists? Can it be purchased with in-game currency? This will help alleviate my ultimate issue... not being satisfied with my appearance and wanting to change it!

You get one for subscribing for a month. Legacy players got one for free I believe.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

I'd be interested in the PS3 copy. Message me the price and what shipping would cost.

e: Actually, would it even require shipping? do I need the disc? Or can I just use the code to attach the PS3 copy to my account and then DL it from PSN?

Entering the code prompts you to download the game, so just the code should be fine.

• Options
    Any more takers? I can get up to 3 more copies today

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

You get one for subscribing for a month. Legacy players got one for free I believe.

But can more be purchased with in-game currency? Or is one the limit?

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular

Yup that's typically what we do in FFXIV as well. Eliminates any confusion, especially with big beautiful markers with big numbers on them.

It's hard to miss who you should be attacking with a big number 1 on their head, and then it naturally follows to attack the glaring number 2 next :D

There are even 3 markers with chains on them (numbered as well of course) to denote CCed targets if you like. And markers with a big red "NO" symbol (also numbered) to mark when you don't want something touched at all.

But you have some that don't want to follow the symbols or have to do dungeon marking every go around. And I get that. Last run I was in we had a gungho DPS'r that kept pulling mobs, grabbing hate, and making our tank feel bad, like they were not doing their job.

I'll admit, at this point, I heal my tank, I give encouragement to my tank and occasional DPS's, and remind them some people play funny, let them go as long as we are not wiping continuously on boss mechanics, and we'll be done. I've honestly started treating the Duty Finder as an exercise in challenges. I rarely have smooth running runs but at the same time it has felt someone in the party has learned from the experience. And that I think is an overall good thing.

I would say this: If you do get frustrated, start asking all the ghost members for help. I will always help out healing a run, and if I could ever bother getting MRD up past 15 I'd do a bit of spot tanking. Anything that helps mitigate frustrations while allowing the story progression. We're here to have fun, not endure WoW frustrations 4.0! :D

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »

But can more be purchased with in-game currency? Or is one the limit?

No and maybe. I've heard mixed reports that more Fantasia Potions or whatever the christ they're called are awarded for further months of subscription but I can't say for certain.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Jakarrd wrote: »

But you have some that don't want to follow the symbols or have to do dungeon marking every go around. And I get that. Last run I was in we had a gungho DPS'r that kept pulling mobs, grabbing hate, and making our tank feel bad, like they were not doing their job.

I'll admit, at this point, I heal my tank, I give encouragement to my tank and occasional DPS's, and remind them some people play funny, let them go as long as we are not wiping continuously on boss mechanics, and we'll be done. I've honestly started treating the Duty Finder as an exercise in challenges. I rarely have smooth running runs but at the same time it has felt someone in the party has learned from the experience. And that I think is an overall good thing.

I would say this: If you do get frustrated, start asking all the ghost members for help. I will always help out healing a run, and if I could ever bother getting MRD up past 15 I'd do a bit of spot tanking. Anything that helps mitigate frustrations while allowing the story progression. We're here to have fun, not endure WoW frustrations 4.0! :D

Absolutely. I can't stress enough how important communication is. I've had quite a few tanks where they could not hold aggro and were making it incredibly difficult for everyone else. Instead of berating them though I politely offered some suggestions in party chat.

"If you cycle in flash a bit more in your rotation I can really open up with more DPS if you like"

"No worries, try using your defensive cooldowns at this part, it's a tough bit and it might help out"

"Try using this combo to help you regain more mana so you can use flash more, it will make it easier for you to hold all the mobs a bit more"

"We'll mark the ones that we'll sleep so you don't have to worry about those"

Just stuff like that.

Heck earlier on in the game we walked what seemed to be a completely new tank through Tanking 101. We went over each ability, why it's important to have, the role it plays, and how it should be used. (He would use Flash once, and didn't use the mana regain ability which he removed from his bar) By the end of the run he was holding aggro like a champ and I like to think he is making himself quite the Tank now at the higher levels.

Sure it takes a bit more effort on my part to take a few minutes to get to the root of the issue and offer suggestions but in the end I feel like it's a much better experience for everyone involved. Especially in a game such as this where you tend to get a lot of player unfamiliar with MMOs who are drawn by the hype and brand.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Eh.

Usually if someone is actively ignoring marks, dps pulling etc, they're doing it on purpose. And I have no patience for that. if I have party lead I'll ask them to stop once and if they still want to be 'funny', I'll just boot them. There are plenty of other players in line who are able to play and not be stupid, there's no reason to waste time and energy on people who aren't.

There's a pretty clear difference between players doing such things because they simply don't know better, and usually will try to do better if explained what to do; and those who are doing it because they have a big epeen or are just idiots. Some joker thinking they're so cool can make what would be a clean 30-40 minute run turn into a 90minute nightmare of annoyance and frustration. That sort of activity shouldn't be encouraged or even put up with.

EDIT: or I just leave if I'm not leader. I'll take the 15m queue hit if it means not coming out of what should be a straightforward dungeon with a few thousand gil repair bill because someone can't follow even the most bare basic instructions.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    I like numbering because it just makes things simple and concise. Though when things go awry I rely on my party's ability to make intelligent decisions because I gotta get that aggro instead of putting numbers all over the place.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Only 2 total PC copies in my area. 2 were sold out from under me.

Edit: driving up to get them now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    this is what a real level 50 summoner looks like

8hx2.jpg

SIGH

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

I'm tempted. I don't think I'd like healing dungeons/titans with a gamepad, but I might consider it just to lay on the couch Saturday morning gathering with PIP on my TV if the desire ever sparked.

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    this is what a real level 50 summoner looks like

8hx2.jpg

SIGH

Grind Amdapor until your eyes bleed and it'll all be better.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Personally I couldnt get over the using a keyboard aspect of MMO gaming. Back in the EQ:OA days I went out and bought a USB keyboard because of this. The PC version fully supports an XBox controller so I tried it out for a minute. About one minute before I promptly unplugged my controller.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    that is amdapor gear

This discussion has been closed.