As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come for the [Steam] Sharing announcement (p.75). Stay for the new bundles!

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Luchaire wrote: »
    So I started up Skyrim again today.
    Last time I did that, I lost 500 hours somewhere.
    Doomed, I am.
    Don't forget to visit the Steam Workshop to enhance your Skyrim experience with some mods...

hcrhtpp.jpg1Cm8Cnj.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160680676
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=132424266

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    These are still a thing. Adventure Team, ends Sunday Morning.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Haha, still no takers for FTL. Ah well, if none of you fine chaps have need, I'm sure I can find SOMEONE amongst my Real-Life friends who hasn't seen the light... of a solar flare burning their Oxygen systems.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has tried out Godus through early access?
    Curious to know how it compares to Populous / Black & White at all or just a completely different kind of game.

I was wondering the same. It looks pretty cool, but I don't really relish the idea of giving Peter Molywhatever any more cash than I have already over the years since he's shown time and again he's full of a lot of good talk that he never delivers on.

Also, why OH WHY does Legend of Dungeon only have local coop. I am sad.

I just want another Black & White, but without the Monster. Just give me god powers and the ability to pick stuff up and throw it and be silly and cast spells and I'll give you my monies. If that's pretty much what Godus is then I will buy the shit out of it.

That's where I had the most fun too. There was some guy in the...third?...world, maybe. Who couldn't die. I never figured out his purpose, but I spent waaaay too much time picking him up and tossing him around the world.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has tried out Godus through early access?
    Curious to know how it compares to Populous / Black & White at all or just a completely different kind of game.

I was wondering the same. It looks pretty cool, but I don't really relish the idea of giving Peter Molywhatever any more cash than I have already over the years since he's shown time and again he's full of a lot of good talk that he never delivers on.

Also, why OH WHY does Legend of Dungeon only have local coop. I am sad.

I just want another Black & White, but without the Monster. Just give me god powers and the ability to pick stuff up and throw it and be silly and cast spells and I'll give you my monies. If that's pretty much what Godus is then I will buy the shit out of it.

That's where I had the most fun too. There was some guy in the...third?...world, maybe. Who couldn't die. I never figured out his purpose, but I spent waaaay too much time picking him up and tossing him around the world.

You got more god power or whatever it was called every time you broke your record for distance on him.

If you wanted to kill him then sacrificing him on the altar did the job the same as any other civilian.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Taramoor wrote: »
    You know what, Jennifer Hale tweeted something the other day and it made me laugh. So I'm giving away a Mass Effect collection.

signature.png

Taramoor on
  • Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular

Doomed, I am.

It has been a good few months since I touched the game or updated Cloaks of Skyrim. I'm scared to go back as I'm in the 500 hours range too. Yet even now, there's a terrible, insidious whisper, suggesting I do awful things like, y'know, dive back into the world of frost and furs. That way lies danger, especially how busy I need to be in the near future with important life stuff.

Gulp.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gonna give it till this evening to post the screenshots for the Arma contest.

No ones picked an urban area yet. Why not throw a dart at the board?

altis_small.png?2

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    guys I'm totally IN LOVE with Titan Quest right now.

I'd played it before but only for a few hours at a clip. this is getting out of hand.

nowhere else I can really post about it. I accidentally did in the Diablo thread the other day (my first love, TQ is holding me til the D3 expansion) because I couldn't contain myself.

anyway I'm justifying this by noting that it's now the most played game in my steam library, approaching 30 hours. which btw isn't nearly enough, shows how little I used steam until this last summer sale and my realizing the greatness of this here thread.

but goddamn titan quest. I just love the way the classes work a lot and I love the feel of the game. I almost went back to d2 when I got the itch (about 2-3 weeks ago, when the d3 patch/expansion got announced) but I remembered immediately how much building a good character relied on saving skill points. forget that! TQ has the bonus of me not knowing the classes/game inside out AND finding a way to make you not want/need to save points with the skill masteries.

sorry for the text blob but I have to say it somewhere. I am loving this game.

Titan Queeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    So, here's the trailer for Hyper Light Drifter, in case you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMosNHhyxI
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178208332

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Repost for Saturday
    Aistan wrote: »
    Was saving this for later, but i'm sure something important and good happened somewhere. Let's pretend this is a celebration of that great thing.

signature.png

Open to members of the PA Steam group.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    signature.png

@BigDes? Is there a @BigDes in the house?

WELL COME ON DOWN! YOU JUST WON A FABULOUS PRIZE. ONE SHINY BLONDE VIKING!

Accept my friend invite, but be careful! Volgarr's fragile!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Reposting for Saturday:

38thDoe wrote: »
    So its been awhile since I've had time to stop in this thread. I wanted to do a giveaway when my daughter was born, but life got inexplicably busy then. Weirdest thing.

So instead, here's a its my birthday giveaway!

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

I also have the following coupons, send me a PM if you can use.
    50% Delve Deeper
    50% Sequence
    50% Evoland
    10% Toki Tori 2+

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'm getting some weird Transistor vibes from Hyper Light Drifter, which is good cause I'll probably want to buy both.

edit: Also that Metro Steam skin is the worst, because you're emulating one of the worst things about Windows. The look is alright, but the skin just gives me the shakes.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So i finally started playing Crusader Kings 2.

I'm having fun so far and i'm wondering which DLCs are worthwhile, since there are a lot of those...

• Options
    Okay, so here are the screens for the Altis Beauty contest. There's three plus one of my own. If you feel like joining in on the voting process then feel free to PM me which of the three entrants you think should win the emoticon and background.

1: Very blank but I still adored the location. Trying to pick which direction to take the shot from was tricky but this side had both an observatory and some nice hillscape:
    600F7431AE855C29ED8F25A7CB391B2127A0A43C

2: Speaking of nice hillside this one was the one that made my computer grumble the hardest, all that tree line probably.
    1AA940043894722ABE9DF0F2FFC0C71BE8731E13

3: And finally something from the top of a large hill with a fantastic view:
    0768FDD76789326B0B590A2F2254888A560A071D

4: This ones my own. Just felt like taking something a bit more intimate than 'LOOK AT MY DRAW DISTANCE' (12.5KM by the way)
    E4A30F889E2C93F93AFA319EAA791A1A11E95C10

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    What is that Albino? Looks amazing.

• Options
    Arma 3.

It's totally amazing.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Wow. I thought it might be that but figured quickly it looked to good. Completely incorrect.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Arma 3 looks quite good even on lower settings. It's a great update to my digital toybox of army toys. Can't wait for more content though. I'm really interested in seeing how the single player campaign stuff comes out since they decided to release it episodically. Until then there is more than enough stuff on Steam Workshop to play with.

• Options
    If I had Arma 3 I'd only do the Green Goblin glider thing posted a few pages ago

steam_sig.png

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Just finished Outlast. As a total experience, I'm still pretty impressed, though I do agree that it sort of falls apart towards the end. Major spoilers, obviously.
    I can't shake the impression that they had more in mind for the facility. They kept giving you batteries, yet it's brightly lit. Nightvision aids in seeing the Walrider, but those are all chase sequences where seeing the approaching enemy isn't really crucial. I didn't mind the hard turn to sci-fi, but it wasn't paced well after spending so much time in the asylum, and it would've done well to stay more grounded for longer. It feels like the big picture makes sense - the company rounded up psychopaths until they found a very special one they could use to reenact Forbidden Planet (FEAR is the obvious comparison, but given the mechanics of the device the first thing I thought was 'monsters of the Id') - but a lot of the details just leave me scratching my head.

One of the notes suggests Trager was an executive sent to do cost control, but how does he go from that to playing Scissorman? Obviously Martin wanted Miles to witness the asylum's horrors, but was there any real point to the burning? Why were the two naked guys there and suddenly not hostile? How could Billy keep Wernicke alive, and if so why was Wernicke still alive at the end? If it took such a lengthy process to find a suitable candidate for the Walrider project, how did the Walrider 'possess' Miles, as implied by the ending, especially if he was also trying to kill him at the time? And if Miles was possessed, why would killing him release the Walrider, if taking Billy off life support was supposed to stop it?

In terms of raw atmosphere and survival horror mechanics, I think Outlast holds its own and sometimes surpasses Frictional's efforts: the player model does a better job of inhabiting the game world, there are fewer obvious safe zones, the stealth is more novel, enemy behavior is less predictable, and the inhabitants have more personality. I can't stress those last two points enough, most of your enemies are just flesh-and-blood humans, and yet they succeed at being memorable and intimidating. I truly did not know what to expect from any given encounter, and I want to heap praise on the game for that alone. Sometimes you don't need anything more complicated than a large, angry naked man with a knife to inspire terror; say what you will about Cthulhu, but he's not playing dueling banjos with a Shoggoth.

And yet as a complete game trying to tell a story, it'd be just behind those same titles. There weren't many gameplay issues (a few samey 'turn two valves/find three fuses/etc' objectives, some signposting problems) and everything ran very well from a technical perspective. If the ending was a bit more satisfying - not necessarily more pleasant, just more conclusive - I'd be more inclined to overlook the plot problems. Even Miles dying would've been fine if his footage somehow got out, it feels like a waste of a gimmick otherwise. It's kind of ironic the game cites Frankenstein, as it feels like several really good ideas crudely stitched together: an amazing (if ghastly) creation with very rich atmosphere, but only in the shape of a complete story.

TL;DR - A gory but smart title that brings some much-needed innovation to the defenseless survival horror subgenre, but the narrative's a bit patchy and it isn't as easy to recommend as Amnesia: TDD. Still, very not bad, and deserves to be noticed by other horror game developers.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    @Shdwcaster that classy, classy guy. I noticed Kerbal Space Program was on sale AGAIN and lamented that I missed it AGAIN due to fiscal constraints. That guy. That classy guy drops it in my lap with nary a word said.

That one is going on the list it is. Thanks duder you're some kind of gentleman.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Giveaway! This game is so good.

signature.png

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    I'm getting some weird Transistor vibes from Hyper Light Drifter, which is good cause I'll probably want to buy both.
    In the same vein, Radio the Universe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGyDWGf6Dw4

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Okay, so here are the screens for the Altis Beauty contest. There's three plus one of my own. If you feel like joining in on the voting process then feel free to PM me which of the three entrants you think should win the emoticon and background.

1: Very blank but I still adored the location. Trying to pick which direction to take the shot from was tricky but this side had both an observatory and some nice hillscape:

2: Speaking of nice hillside this one was the one that made my computer grumble the hardest, all that tree line probably.

3: And finally something from the top of a large hill with a fantastic view:

4: This ones my own. Just felt like taking something a bit more intimate than 'LOOK AT MY DRAW DISTANCE' (12.5KM by the way)

1 - Wow, I think this just shows how immense the game is. For that, I think it is good. And, observatory? You sure that isn't a toy? Wow the distance.

2 - I think trees can ruin pc's. All those leaves. Funny, cause 2 looks like

3 - it is looking at 3! Ok, liked the wind turbines in the distance, but 3 gets a close up.

4 - Nice, I think the big issue is that it is a dart at a VERY large board.

Over all, I do want the game now. And I have no idea why. Can you get like a 20 v 20 army going on or something in that game? Would be epic to hold massive war games with all the fun things.
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Doomed, I am.
    Don't forget to visit the Steam Workshop to enhance your Skyrim experience with some mods...

hcrhtpp.jpg1Cm8Cnj.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160680676
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=132424266

I'm still playing Oblivion. I don't think I'm going to be completionist. I also think I'm going to cheat (guide) for those 100 plants things. I want to get to skyrim, and I want to play Oblivion first. I love the game, I keep wanting to hope on. And it works great, cause for the most part I can save exit on a whim which is good for fiance / son time. Only thing that bugs me, Is I hear you get some house with a dlc that has that plant you need 100 of, but I can't seem to trigger it in game, and steam has no dlc?

@luchaire - look at all that pink. I think @HiT BiT gets credit for pinking you some. :)

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I picked up Witcher 2 on sale a while back and I'm finally going to give it a go I think.

I'm considering downloading the Full Combat Rebalance right from the get-go. Think this is ok even though I haven't played the game before?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I'm having fun so far and i'm wondering which DLCs are worthwhile, since there are a lot of those...

There are lots!

They basically fall into 3 categories:

1) Completely cosmetic. This includes things like face packs, unit packs, and music packs. They have absolutely no effect on gameplay, but can make things prettier / more culturally appropriate. I buy them all, because I am a total nut for Paradox stuff, but they are completely skippable. The music all rocks, though.

2) New game options. These are the "main line" expansions, and provide the opportunity to play as different types of rulers as well as many new game improvements (some of which are folded into the base game, even if you don't have the expansion): Sword of Islam (allows Muslim rulers), Legacy of Rome (adds Byzantine stuff and retinues), The Republic (merchant republics), and The Old Gods (expanded timeline, better pagan support). These are all awesome, and I recommend getting all of them at some point. If I were prioritizing, I'd go with Old Gods, Legacy of Rome, Republic, and Sword, in that order. You can't build retinues without Legacy of Rome, BTW, and you want retinues.

3) Other stuff. This is either utilities (Ruler Designer, CK2->EU4 converter, etc.) or minor expansions (The Sunset Invasion). Sunset Invasion is a "What If?" scenario that features an Aztec invasion of Europe in the mid- to late-game, which some people love and other people are, like, "Huh?" I love the Ruler Designer, since it lets you customize your starting character and family crest, etc. These are either get / don't get depending on how nice they sound to you.

In any case, CK2 tends to go on sale a lot, and when it does, most of the DLC tends to go on sale, too. So, if you're on the fence for picking something up, there's a good chance it'll be 50% off during the Winter Sale. Also, during that sale, it might be cheaper to buy the complete CK2 collection, whatever it's called, than to pick up the individual DLCs.

Enjoy one of my favorite games ever!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I picked up Witcher 2 on sale a while back and I'm finally going to give it a go I think.

I'm considering downloading the Full Combat Rebalance right from the get-go. Think this is ok even though I haven't played the game before?

I'd say play the game without mods first. The combat is really awesome in the game, and if after a few hours you find you don't like it you can always download the mod later.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I would kill KILL *KILL* for FTL to get posted to Android. Galaxy S4, 1080p screen, and im fucking playing candy crush

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Really? I've consistently heard it's one of the weakest parts. The stuff where you have to invest points to do things like parry sounds really silly to me.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Nah, it's solid. Spending points to unlock basic shit is a bit silly, but they're literally the first things you unlock on the basic skill tree.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

There are lots!

1) Completely cosmetic. This includes things like face packs, unit packs, and music packs. They have absolutely no effect on gameplay, but can make things prettier / more culturally appropriate. I buy them all, because I am a total nut for Paradox stuff, but they are completely skippable. The music all rocks, though.

2) New game options. These are the "main line" expansions, and provide the opportunity to play as different types of rulers as well as many new game improvements (some of which are folded into the base game, even if you don't have the expansion): Sword of Islam (allows Muslim rulers), Legacy of Rome (adds Byzantine stuff and retinues), The Republic (merchant republics), and The Old Gods (expanded timeline, better pagan support). These are all awesome, and I recommend getting all of them at some point. If I were prioritizing, I'd go with Old Gods, Legacy of Rome, Republic, and Sword, in that order. You can't build retinues without Legacy of Rome, BTW, and you want retinues.

3) Other stuff. This is either utilities (Ruler Designer, CK2->EU4 converter, etc.) or minor expansions (The Sunset Invasion). Sunset Invasion is a "What If?" scenario that features an Aztec invasion of Europe in the mid- to late-game, which some people love and other people are, like, "Huh?" I love the Ruler Designer, since it lets you customize your starting character and family crest, etc. These are either get / don't get depending on how nice they sound to you.

In any case, CK2 tends to go on sale a lot, and when it does, most of the DLC tends to go on sale, too. So, if you're on the fence for picking something up, there's a good chance it'll be 50% off during the Winter Sale. Also, during that sale, it might be cheaper to buy the complete CK2 collection, whatever it's called, than to pick up the individual DLCs.

A) What's a retinue
    B) I am enjoying it a lot more than back when i got it and saw the immense amount of options and just went "uhhhhhhh" and gave up.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to hooking my PC up to my TV and trying out Big Picture mode. It's way cooler than I was expecting. Is there a list of fully compatible games?

Also, I have a Samsung 3D tv (with active glasses). Is there anything nifty game-wise I can do with it?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

There are lots!

A) What's a retinue
    B) I am enjoying it a lot more than back when i got it and saw the immense amount of options and just went "uhhhhhhh" and gave up.

Retinues are standing armies that automatically reinforce (which costs money) but which are free to keep standing around otherwise.

Having a retinue reduces the number of troops you get from your own levies, but they're permanently available and they don't prevent you from declaring war (you can't normally declare war if you have any levies raised). You also get to pick the troops in your retinues - they come in 500-man stacks, and you can pick between defensive retinues (200 archers, 300 pikemen, IIRC), skirmish retinues (100 Light Infantry, 400 Archers), etc. Each culture also has a cultural retinue - Welsh longbowmen, Celtic Gallowglasses (500 Heavy Infantry!), Byzantine Cataphractoi, etc.

As your nation grows in size you can increase the size of your retinues (by adding additional blocks of 500 men at a time), so eventually you might be able to prosecute wars entirely with your retinue.

They're pretty awesome.

If you've got questions (CK2 is a pretty complicated game, for all the Paradox has massively improved its usability), ask away!

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Really? I've consistently heard it's one of the weakest parts. The stuff where you have to invest points to do things like parry sounds really silly to me.

Parry doesn't mean block in this case. Blocking is one of your basic moves you have right at the beginning. Parry in this sense is blocking to create an opening, it's a combat skill so it's not silly that it's an early part of the progression.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to hooking my PC up to my TV and trying out Big Picture mode. It's way cooler than I was expecting. Is there a list of fully compatible games?

Also, I have a Samsung 3D tv (with active glasses). Is there anything nifty game-wise I can do with it?

The store search has a filter for "Full Controller Support" and "Partial Controller Support". I think there is also a category that shows which of your games have controller support once you are in Big Picture mode.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »

Parry doesn't mean block in this case. Blocking is one of your basic moves you have right at the beginning. Parry in this sense is blocking to create an opening, it's a combat skill so it's not silly that it's an early part of the progression.

Gotcha. I'll try the unmodded game for a bit, which is the way I prefer to go. I just didn't like the combat from the first game, and I'd heard enough negative stuff about the second's combat that I didn't think I'd like it. But I keep hearing how great these games are and I want to give them a fair shake.

• Options
    Woo, finally finished with Sleepy Dogs! Maybe gonna wait till tomorrow to go into Nightmare in North Point, the only one of the DLCs I own. I could go for a bit of respite from all the circular gang fights and that weird turn into all guns all the time near the end. And there's no legit fast travel system in that game, so eventually I'd just be standing around waiting for cabs, or in my case, parking my car perpendicular in the street so I could stop traffic and find a taxi to hire.

In terms of side stuff to do, that game certainly had stuff to do that just felt like you were doing them to do them. Karaoke doesn't really achieve anything so you never do it more than you have to. Fight clubs are useless if you don't have a new move to learn. You can play poker and cockfight, but it's just to earn money which ends up being kinda useless as you become super rich quick.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    @AnteCantelope is a menace. I vent a little bit about annoying customer service people and he takes that as a sign I'm having a bad day, so he drops a nuclear gifthead on me. Thanks for EU4

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.