Options

Moving!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Pat the head.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Head patted.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    the way to Blake's heart is through his kitty

I almost typed something ruder instead of kitty but I decided this was not the thread for that

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    the way to Blake's heart is through his kitty

I almost typed something ruder instead of kitty but I decided this was not the thread for that

Until you get a cat, then the way to his heart will be through your kitty.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    nice

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I have a 3-bed 2-bath 120m² (so what, 1300ft?) house that is currently valued at valued at 350k.

That's about 50k more than when we bought, but we paid above valuation then; it hasn't been revalued following either the predecessor's or our own renovations, so I'd be curious to know what the real market value is. I suspect it's somewhere in the region of 420k, but that's just based on what I think of various houses in the area adn totally subjective to me, as much as I might try.

It is, at the moment, I have a $0 balance mortgage, meaning I guess I own it. But that number is set to go up again once I pay off some other debt and the retaining wall above the carpad gets repaired (not cheap). But if all goes well, I will actually own it outright by around the end of the year. Which is pretty cool.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    dude, that's awesome! must be a relief what with the baby and all too

• Options
    edited September 2013
    ours is a 4-bed, 2-bath with two living areas (one of which is gonna be our games room)

220m2 of livable space, 460m2 total for the block

I'm pretty sure we offered above what it could reasonably sell for now (prices have fallen a bit), but when the valuation came through it came through at what we paid, so I'm not overly fussed

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah; my inheritance from my uncle's estate got us the deposit and onto the property ladder early, while Jen being a genius got her scholarships to pay for tuition, meaning all the money we earmarked for that (her entire salary, basically) went straight against the mortgage, meaning we paid it off mostly over the first 5 years. It's been slower going the last couple years with her unemployed, but the number signifying total debt slowly crawls lower every month.

We've flirted with $0 balance on the mortgage a lot this year. Some months we're green, others we're not. It all depends on the expenses as they come through; a couple new tires for the car here, a holiday to Australia there, landscaping the front yard... the thing I get now that I didn't the first time we hit zero-balance is that financial positions fluctuate - a lot. Even if you're trending up, it's like watching the stock market, that line wavers all over the place, and I won't really consider the mortgage 'cleared' until I'm comprehensively north of that line for a few months, I think.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Well y'all are making my eventual plan to move across the country and buy a house sound fucking terrifying.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I can't wait until I'm in a position to own.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I can't wait until I'm in a position to own.

That's weird.

I coulda sworn that.

You already owned.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, our friends just bought a 3 bedroom, 1 bath (well 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1 study) house that was built in the early 1900s for just around $800k. They have a small postage stamp of lawn out front and that's really about it. Oh, there's a detached garage.

Granted it's an amazing house and I would LOVE to have it as well. It's like a dream house as far as I'm concerned.

But $800k.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My pro advice is never ever

ever.

Compare someone else's house to your own situation.

It's just a path to being miserable and bitter.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    but Blake, what If I'm already miserable and bitter? :P

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Add some sugar?

• Options
    I'm just glad I've turned another thread into one about bit's kitties.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I came downstairs to this this morning

notetoall_zps1ad2c865.png

Uh-oh!

None of this is my doing, and Boy Housemate knows it. Looks like there's trouble...!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    gonna be honest, doubt those notes are going to do anything to your slovenly roommate that's causing the problems liiya

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I also doubt it too, Naph!

Still its interesting to watch.

• Options
    I'd recommend fire liiya.

• Options
    And lots of it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    that's what you always say doctor hibbert

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I don't see how advice like that could be anything but correct, okay!

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    Taking a look at this one tomorrow.

That looks nice, but not being a dick (this time) but isn't that a lot of stairs for you?

it's a concern for sure. I'm going to evaluate it for a stairlift

Did a walk-through this morning before work.

I really want this house, but the stairs are going to be tricky, and I'll need to build a fence for the backyard.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    @Liiya if you need some inspiration for more notes, this site will help.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    @Liiya if you need some inspiration for more notes, this site will help.

Ha! Love the plant one!

I have just made a drawing of a mouse in sunglasses saying "Yo I'm gonna stay in the walls if you guys don't leave any dirty dishes out for me to find food on". It is going on the wall, Nice Girl Housemate suggested I put a not up, so I will do as she asks.

• Options
    That sounds like the best kind of note.

• Options
    Thanks! I swear it is the best picture of a mouse I have ever drawn!!

It is a bit unnerving to wake up to the sound of mice in the walls I tell you what.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I think we need a photo of this mouse.

• Options
    At the moment Useless Housemate is in the kitchen no doubt viewing it, so I can't at the moment.

"What you doing Liiya?"
    "Oh you know, taking a photo of the mouse I drew on this note that is aimed towards your messy ways to show the internet. Its pretty good, innit?"

Yeah, might not go down well!

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    At the moment Useless Housemate is in the kitchen no doubt viewing it, so I can't at the moment.

"What you doing Liiya?"
    "Oh you know, taking a photo of the mouse I drew on this note that is aimed towards your messy ways to show the internet. Its pretty good, innit?"

Yeah, might not go down well!

Really? I think it would go swell

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Real advice: stay off the angry note circuit. The messy person can always pretend they didn't see them, or didn't think it was for them, and even if they can't they could just blow them off. Take it up, be reasonable but clear about what you consider acceptable

and bring in your housemates, that seems applicable

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I totally get that Arang, but I decided it was time to put up something to remind people the kitchen needed to be cleaned. Well, one person. I have asked nicely many many times for housemate to clean her dishes, she does and then leaves her next ones for 3 plus days until you ask her nicely again. Its not angry, its "Lets keep the dishes washed".

When we all moved we agreed that we didn't need a rota and that we could clean up after ourselves, but thats not happening. I'm trying to avoid that still :(

Liiya on
  • Options
    I got a really angry note from one of my roommates in college who was pissed that the RA made me dump her alcohol. I kept warning her not to be such an idiot about it. We live right next door and there are crappy walls, just please stop doing this here, etc.

But she got mad at me that her alcohol was gone and told me that I was going to have to buy her more. I really wish I had made a copy before handing it to my RD. That chick was an idiot.

• Options
    I would like to clarify that this is not an angry note, or directed at anyone in particular. I don't do angry notes, I'm not that dumb. It basically says "Lets remember to wash our dishes and put them away" and that is it.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    I would like to clarify that this is not an angry note, or directed at anyone in particular. I don't do angry notes, I'm not that dumb. It basically says "Lets remember to wash our dishes and put them away" and that is it.

Sure, Liyya, the note starts like that, but by the end of the sixteen A4 page diatrabe you attached to the wall with bowie knives (seriously, how many of those things do you have?) you're basically just an incoherent screaming mess.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I am all for mousework reminders.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I am all for mousework reminders.

This is the best pun!!

god Fyndir, can't you even spell my name right? Its like you don't even know me!

• Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I was saying angry note because every note I've ever seen about dishes has been, in some way, angry.

That said, your roommate doesn't need a note because she's not forgetting to do her dishes, she's getting away with not doing them.

thenews.jpg