As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Government Shutdown: Operation Slime Down

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    snapshot-unionmembership.png&w=608

original.jpg

totally coincidence

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    PS: Can't wait until 15 days from now when all this shit happens again over the debt ceiling!

Compared to the shutdown, if congress manages to fuck around with the debt ceiling, there's going to be serious consequences.

Most banks and clearing firms are already increasing their haircut a full percentage point if you want to use treasure bonds as collateral. And if the US Government defaults? Rates are going to pop at least a full percentage, probably more. And they may not go down after everything gets settled.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

original.jpg

totally coincidence

Wow holy shit. Nothing else at all has happened between 1918 and 2008 that could effect labor and class. Absolutely nothing. Excellent work Huffington Post, you fucking solved it.

Glad we had this site available to us for reference

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Like all I'm saying is, the company I work for is basically having union renegotiations right now.

And one of the things they wanted to do was severely cut our health care coverage in an high injury environment, while posting record profits at the same time.

So...yeah...not going to agree with that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

Wow holy shit. Nothing else at all has happened between 1918 and 2008 that could effect labor and class. Absolutely nothing. Excellent work Huffington Post, you fucking solved it.

Would you like to provide some examples maybe? Or just continue making snippy remarks with no evidence to back anything up?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    At what point does making a dismissive response to nearly every post in a thread become shitposting

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    okay so as far as i can tell what's happening is that the house of reps is controlled by republicans but the senate and the president are still democratic

since all three need to unanimously agree on passing a budget, this allows for a situation in which one house of congress can block the other two from doing anything, which is a strongarm political tactic but not like an inherent perversion of the system

in fact, when one house is controlled by a different faction than the other the only thing which prevents this from happening all the time is the general goodwill and professionalism of the politicians and the idea that nothing they want could be worth such a drastic measure

obviously these only go so far

you vote for the house of reps every two years. since the republicans won last election you have what would in australia be a conservative government, but since the president is still democratic that is technically not the case

next year you will vote for the house of reps again and, if obama plays his cards right, presumably vote the democrats back in and return to a situation in which a government shutdown is not on the table

politicians being what they are, this whole thing seems to me like an inevitable consequence of a political system that has perhaps not been the best thought out

Mostly true, except its hard to get reps from some states. I'm from Indiana, and except for 2008 when the Obama campaign got tons of the minorities out here to vote we are always republican. Even when our governer and senate candidates basically say "Fuck you all forever!" they still get voted in for some reason

Not a fan of Governor Mitch Daniels' right to work state laws? Because really, Indiana needed more reasons to repel a young workforce.

"Ok, so all we have is retail, car dealerships and trucking. Now, you might be thinking that recent strikes at K-Mart might increase your wages at Walmart...but thanks to some recent changes fuck you."

unions are so good and so effective they need laws that enforce membership

that's just logic

While I can't speak for all unions, my dad works over the border in Illinois, hes in the autoworkers union and they have always made sure my family had good healthcare and my dad made enough money to provide for him. My mom worked at the Steel Mills after they got rid of union and was sexually harassed and stalked by her boss for years, when she threatened to sue the steel mill had her barred and she was fired. My girlfriend is in a bakers union at the place she works, she makes more money then I do, has excellent benefits, and when she has had troubles with her boss she has gotten back up from her union rep. Her dad was in a union at the train yard he works at, they got rid of it 5 years ago, pay dropped, they lost benefits, and now half the workers are undocumented.

All right to work means is my employer can decide I have an ugly face and fire me. This actually happened to me once. I was part time at GameStop (where I worked off and on and several times as a manager over 8 years) helping out at a store over christmas. The manager, who was a new guy I didn't know, called me and asked me to come in, I said I couldn't because I was working my full time actual job. He fired me. Didn't tell me at first, then when I went in, the reason he put on the form was "Huge Asshole"

• Options

Would you like to provide some examples maybe? Or just continue making snippy remarks with no evidence to back anything up?

I'm pretty sure that's the Republican platform for 2016.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalization

• Options
    PS: Can't wait until 15 days from now when all this shit happens again over the debt ceiling!

Compared to the shutdown, if congress manages to fuck around with the debt ceiling, there's going to be serious consequences.

Most banks and clearing firms are already increasing their haircut a full percentage point if you want to use treasure bonds as collateral. And if the US Government defaults? Rates are going to pop at least a full percentage, probably more. And they may not go down after everything gets settled.

This is assuming were funded in 15 days.

• Options

American Superiority is important...

unless we can get 12 year old Indonesian girls to do the work for less.

:bz :bz :bz

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I will say I think the tariffs on forigen goods are bullshit. It should not cost less to import steel or chicken from another country but due to tax breaks it is.

• Options

And you don't think it's any kind of correlation that as Unions have continued to decline, globalization and the subsequent income inequality has picked up speed? Or is that just another funny coincidence?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

American Superiority is important...

unless we can get 12 year old Indonesian girls to do the work for less.

:bz :bz :bz

american exceptionalism, economically, is for baby boomers and space cadet activists

they can and will go down with that ship

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    okay so as far as i can tell what's happening is that the house of reps is controlled by republicans but the senate and the president are still democratic

since all three need to unanimously agree on passing a budget, this allows for a situation in which one house of congress can block the other two from doing anything, which is a strongarm political tactic but not like an inherent perversion of the system

in fact, when one house is controlled by a different faction than the other the only thing which prevents this from happening all the time is the general goodwill and professionalism of the politicians and the idea that nothing they want could be worth such a drastic measure

obviously these only go so far

you vote for the house of reps every two years. since the republicans won last election you have what would in australia be a conservative government, but since the president is still democratic that is technically not the case

next year you will vote for the house of reps again and, if obama plays his cards right, presumably vote the democrats back in and return to a situation in which a government shutdown is not on the table

politicians being what they are, this whole thing seems to me like an inevitable consequence of a political system that has perhaps not been the best thought out

Mostly true, except its hard to get reps from some states. I'm from Indiana, and except for 2008 when the Obama campaign got tons of the minorities out here to vote we are always republican. Even when our governer and senate candidates basically say "Fuck you all forever!" they still get voted in for some reason

Not a fan of Governor Mitch Daniels' right to work state laws? Because really, Indiana needed more reasons to repel a young workforce.

"Ok, so all we have is retail, car dealerships and trucking. Now, you might be thinking that recent strikes at K-Mart might increase your wages at Walmart...but thanks to some recent changes fuck you."

unions are so good and so effective they need laws that enforce membership

that's just logic

While I can't speak for all unions, my dad works over the border in Illinois, hes in the autoworkers union and they have always made sure my family had good healthcare and my dad made enough money to provide for him. My mom worked at the Steel Mills after they got rid of union and was sexually harassed and stalked by her boss for years, when she threatened to sue the steel mill had her barred and she was fired. My girlfriend is in a bakers union at the place she works, she makes more money then I do, has excellent benefits, and when she has had troubles with her boss she has gotten back up from her union rep. Her dad was in a union at the train yard he works at, they got rid of it 5 years ago, pay dropped, they lost benefits, and now half the workers are undocumented.

All right to work means is my employer can decide I have an ugly face and fire me. This actually happened to me once. I was part time at GameStop (where I worked off and on and several times as a manager over 8 years) helping out at a store over christmas. The manager, who was a new guy I didn't know, called me and asked me to come in, I said I couldn't because I was working my full time actual job. He fired me. Didn't tell me at first, then when I went in, the reason he put on the form was "Huge Asshole"

Its one of the reasons I never became a low-level supervisor.

They don't have a union, barely get paid more than I do, have to work way more hours(which doubly sucks for me because I'm in school), have to take the fall whenever our full-timer fucks up, and get switched in and out like crazy.

So...eh.

• Options

And you don't think it's any kind of correlation that as Unions have continued to decline, globalization and the subsequent income inequality has picked up speed? Or is that just another funny coincidence?

I'm saying that Unions are a casualty of globalization. What universe are you living in where you think suddenly reintroducing unions into every aspect of the private sector is going to fix anything at all.

It would be swimming against the tide of history. America is where it is because we understand and deal with the problem, unlike a lot of European countries which are in way harder times than us.

Unions have gone down. That is not THE reason that you get paid less. It's the reason you are getting paid anything at all, as opposed to being fired.

• Options

original.jpg

totally coincidence

13greenhousech-popup-v4.png

The Economic Policy Institute via The Newyork Times.

Total coincidence.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

I'm saying that Unions are a casualty of globalization. What universe are you living in where you think suddenly reintroducing unions into every aspect of the private sector is going to fix anything at all.

Uh yeah...it's not gonna fix everything in a snap. But what universe are YOU living where not giving employees representation against their employers is NOT going to fix anything? Right now, if you're not in a union and your employer cuts off your insurance and cuts your pay 10% what exactly are you going to do to fight back against it?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    don't get your hopes up for a Democratic house any time in the foreseeable future

out of curiousity, do you have some rational that states that this will be because Democracy Works, rather than because state-level republicans have gerrymandered the districts beyond anything resembling sanity?

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular

Uh yeah...it's not gonna fix everything in a snap. But what universe are YOU living where not giving employees representation against their employers is NOT going to fix anything? Right now, if you're not in a union and your employer cuts off your insurance and cuts your pay 10% what exactly are you going to do to fight back against it?

Bootstraps.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I am so fucking relieved that I'll still receive food aid.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Some unions are still going strong and their members are better off for it. Tell me we would be having this minimum wage thing if your average wal-mart employee made what some grocery store union members make.

On that topic. here is a fun video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYyqUZe7OCY#t=154

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    don't get your hopes up for a Democratic house any time in the foreseeable future

out of curiousity, do you have some rational that states that this will be because Democracy Works, rather than because state-level republicans have gerrymandered the districts beyond anything resembling sanity?

Calvinball.png

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

Find another job.

• Options
    Oh also the Affordable Care Act was fully funded before today, so you can still sign up. <3

• Options

Find another job.
    How?

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Find another job.

Hahahahaha

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

Find another job.

hahahahaHAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

obama supporters are too busy tweeting to vote in midterms

• Options

Find another job.

piss off

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular

Find another job.

Are you serious?

Is this a real person?

• Options
    Thats not always an option. Lets say you've been with a company for 20 years, you have health care, retirement, all kinds of things through this company you've broken your back for for 20 years. Its a medium skills job, so not being a doctor but not working at McDonald's either. Where do you go when they decide to cut pay and health care? What do you do? quit? Well good luck finding something equal to what you have now

• Options
    I can't even get a fucking fast food job.

• Options
    Some unions are still going strong and their members are better off for it. Tell me we would be having this minimum wage thing if your average wal-mart employee made what some grocery store union members make.

Fun fact about minimum wage, in the 1960's the minimum wage was the equivalent of about $12 in 2013 money.

It's now $7.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Find another job.

Are you serious?

Is this a real person?

Yes.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

Find another job.

Are you serious?

Is this a real person?

Yes.

Ladies and gentlemen, your Republican Party.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    nuka wrote: »

Not enough bootstraps.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    DeaconJasc

• Options
    nuka wrote: »

Not enough bootstraps.

But I only have one pair of boots.

Wait. Shit.

This discussion has been closed.