Options

Extreme Makebrover: SE++ Edition

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I would love glass lenses if they weren't so damn expensive

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Some people's eyes are sensitive to the difference between different index grades of lenses. Glass and polycarbonate refract light differently, and so do different types of polycarbonate. When I went from standard polycarbonate to high index, and then a decade or so later to ultra high index, my eyes were watery for a couple of hours afterwards.

The difference in weight is definitely worth the higher price though, not to mention how much more rugged the lenses themselves are. They are slightly easier to scratch, but you don't have to worry about the lenses shattering, ever. I've beaten the shit out of an old lens with a hammer to see how much damage it could take, and it didn't crack.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    LIBERTY SPIKES ARE SO HOT

Hey yo if you got a time machine, 18 year old me would like to have a word with you
    Hair.jpg

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    ahhhh noooo ahhhhh noo no no no no youre like weird al in amish paradise

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    GISing Liberty Spikes, and all I can think of is that it's time to d-d-d-d duel.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Allllright well

Let's just say they can be hot

(Pooro you're adorbs now and then, I can say that cause 18 is legal)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    LIBERTY SPIKES ARE SO HOT

Hey yo if you got a time machine, 18 year old me would like to have a word with you
    Hair.jpg

Yes, that was also me back in highschool. That and sometimes something like this
    wayne.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Haha, is that Wayne Static?

That guy was my hair idol in high school

• Options
    Allllright well

Let's just say they can be hot

(Pooro you're adorbs now and then, I can say that cause 18 is legal)

I got a long, long history of terrible hair decisions

It was My Thing, for a while. Maybe still is! It always feels like a good idea at the time.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    My best friend has hair like curly Glenn Danzig.

I don't really know what to do about it but hey, I'm not dating him, and his girlfriend finally sold him on the benefits of shampoo and conditioner.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I just recently went from the Cro-magnon look:
    004_zps343651a4.jpg

To this.
    002_zps869b62eb.jpg

And I must say, all you pretty people make me feel horrendous.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    As a shave-pated man, I'm partial to the new look.

Also, I'm sad that this thread will be over before I can get home to show off classy pics of my grandmother in the sixties.

Seriously, Audrey Hepburn.

• Options
    Valhalla you look good, man!

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Valhalla you look good, man!

Emphatic agree

I am a superfan of the bald + nicely groomed facial hair and you're totally pulling it off

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Also, Valhalla, I feel like you totally look like someone I know but I can't think who.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular

Also, I'm sad that this thread will be over before I can get home to show off classy pics of my grandmother in the sixties.

aw I love vintage pics like that!

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Viv (or others with advice)! Tell me about threading!

I don't have a need to get my brows done but apparently being in my mid thirties means I now grow hair on my upper lip/chin that I really don't want, and waxing seems like a terrible idea with sensitive skin

I know my gf swears by it

she says it's usually pretty cheap, too, but couldn't recall exact prices

Ooh thanks! Would you mind asking her if she has a preferred local place?

she tentatively recommended the Brow Bar on mlk and Fremont.

• Options

Thank you all. My daughters hate it, but I've been wanting a high and tight since I got out of the Army, and although I don't have as much hair on top now, there is a little still kicking up there. It's sooooooooo easy to manage too. I was so tired of having to comb my hair. And I don't use "product." So this is simpler all the way around.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    @valhalla130 that new look is pretty great.

You should totally go with a complete shave on the top. Your head shape really suits it.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I've done that before, but... well... while I still have some hair there, I'd like to look at it. It won't be much longer before I won't need to shave the top. My brother who is four years younger than I am already has less hair than me. I credit extreme willpower. I'm using it all to keep those little hairs latched on up there.

Edit: Now if I could figure out how to dress myself. I rarely buy new clothes, and pretty much all I can afford it to shop at places like Wal-Mart. I hate even having to type that.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Financial realities suck, but they are what they are.

The tricky bit with Walmart clothes and whatnot is while they are cheap they also tend to be poorly made and fall apart easily. If you could maybe try to get by with what you have and let your clothes budget stack up for a bit you might be able to get some stuff that looks a little nicer and lasts longer, the net expenditure might not be much more. Just an idea at least.

• Options
    Viv (or others with advice)! Tell me about threading!

I don't have a need to get my brows done but apparently being in my mid thirties means I now grow hair on my upper lip/chin that I really don't want, and waxing seems like a terrible idea with sensitive skin

I know my gf swears by it

she says it's usually pretty cheap, too, but couldn't recall exact prices

Ooh thanks! Would you mind asking her if she has a preferred local place?

she tentatively recommended the Brow Bar on mlk and Fremont.

Thank you :)

• Options
    Noooo I want these shoes so had but they only have them in size 7.5! I wear a 12 :(
    EC98386F-58EC-4A9F-9766-9562E3E9ED9D-2717-000004FB91ABB041_zps2dd212d2.jpg

Also one of you should buy this bag, ignore the metal hanger in the picture :P
    4D8B26BF-3317-42FA-A8A2-60D30A8DFD8D-2717-000004FBA3FF8A78_zps5a28bdc4.jpg

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    You look markedly younger in the new style as well @Valhalla130. While the willpower of having hair while you still can may be strong, the other people are right, you could easily and effectively go smooth and possible even look younger.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    I've done that before, but... well... while I still have some hair there, I'd like to look at it. It won't be much longer before I won't need to shave the top. My brother who is four years younger than I am already has less hair than me. I credit extreme willpower. I'm using it all to keep those little hairs latched on up there.

Edit: Now if I could figure out how to dress myself. I rarely buy new clothes, and pretty much all I can afford it to shop at places like Wal-Mart. I hate even having to type that.

No money high five!

Thrift stores and places like Ross and TJ Maxx will probably get you a better bang for your buck. It just takes more time there because to get the good deals, you have to a) have an idea of what gaps you have in your wardrobe, b) make regular stops in your local thrift and discount stores to check out what they have (especially at end of season and stuff), c) don't get frustrated walking out empty-handed, and d) have patience.

What you find will probably be as cheap or cheaper than Wal-Mart, will fit better, and last longer. Like, I don't have to buy a new coat every couple of winters now because I found a really good wool one marked down from $300 to $70 a few years ago at Ross. That's like, what, two Wal-Mart jackets? So you save money and look better. (Though the hard part is saving up the $70 to buy it initially, I know.) One of my job interview suits is also one I found at an antique shop in Ohio that set me back $15+tailoring.

If you don't enjoy shopping, it might not be fun, but you can get really efficient at it. My dad is a thrift store master. He's got his rounds he does every Saturday, and he finds the most amazing things, though generally he's not shopping for clothes.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    We'll here's a good spot to put this: I met @dirtydirtyvagrant tonight. I took her to my place and fed her dinner and even gave her some ice cream. She makes herself out to be some kind of eldritch horror, but she's actually pretty cute and she has the softest fucking hair I was so jealous I wanted to pull out a handful and keep it for my own..

Anyway, in fashion related news, we need to go out and get her some clothes tomorrow at some thrift stores. @usagi may or may not come with us. (She probably will)

• Options
    Oh hecks yes I will! :D

• Options
    So jelly.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I mentioned picking up a jacket and scarf like what Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock wears and the squeal of joy that escaped my girlfriend tells me this is a move I should go through with.

Now to figure out what exactly he wears :P

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    What are y'all's thoughts on wearing a vest of one color with a suit jacket or blazer of another color
    like, grey vest/black jacket

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Hmmm, depends on the rest of the outfit methinks. I'd have to see the entire thing together, but, personally I am iffy on it looking good.

Edit: Kind of iffy on vests in general though, personally.

Do you have any pictures of what you are thinking of?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    What are y'all's thoughts on wearing a vest of one color with a suit jacket or blazer of another color
    like, grey vest/black jacket

i think you gotta go whole hog on the retro-victorian look in that case

proper three-button jacket, matching pants, and black shoes, and if the jacket is a solid, the vest needs to be something textured, like a tweed

there's a certain point in fashion where it becomes more like costuming, but i think there's too much stigma on looking like you thought your outfit through

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    I was heading out to a party tonight and what I wore was a white shirt, black blazer and really dark jeans with black shoes
    I threw on a grey plaid vest just to see how it looked and decided there was just a little too much going on

• Options
    I think you made the right call.

Jeans, blazer and a vest are mixing too many different levels of fashion, methinks.

• Options
    Yeah, I think if it was a full black suit it would be iffy enough, but I stood there looking at the Frankenstein's monster of an outfit and said, nay, not this day

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I just recently went from the Cro-magnon look:
    004_zps343651a4.jpg

To this.
    002_zps869b62eb.jpg

And I must say, all you pretty people make me feel horrendous.

You look like some sort of Viking warrior.

Keep doing that.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Its true. My hair is really soft. :D

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The key with mismatched vests is contrast, I'd say

I've done like, black suit with colored vest though, and that works nicely

(Although, on the costume note, one of my best successes of that outfit was for a Red Death costume)

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You guys are also talking pretty monochrome; something like a burgundy vest with a tweed suit is completely boss and doable.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I think I actually look presentable for once in my life today and that's a pretty cool feeling. I should do this more often.

This discussion has been closed.