As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

black and white [chat]

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Chanus wrote: »
    Seriously. If it actually took that long to shoot, everyone would have laughed at the guy who made it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    AFFLUENZA.

This is... ridiculous. I had to check to make sure I wasn't reading The Onion.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/12/health/affluenza-youth/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

What isnt getting mentioned is that the kid has a huge fine to pay, the parents are also going to end up paying over 10 million in fines, and the kid is open to being sued by the parents. Because the kid was a minor, and the way the charges were brought up, this is basically the maximum that the judge could do legally. This is like the Mcdonalds hot coffee case, the lies are getting bigger and bigger and more confounding the more the story gets posted.

You can't try a rich white kid as an adult in Texas?

Thats more complicated (which is a weasel answer for "I dont know". It is possible for Tx to try children as adults if I remember right). He didn't have a jury, basically went straight to the magistrate as those kinds of cases go. I suspect since it wasn't premeditated it would be hard to try him as an adult. People are focusing on his defense. His defense literally didn't matter in the judges decision, because the judge threw the book at him, as much as he could penalty wise. if it was a black poor kid in front of the same judge, that was the maximum thing that could have been done from how I understand the situation.
    Nova_C wrote: »
    AFFLUENZA.

What isnt getting mentioned is that the kid has a huge fine to pay, the parents are also going to end up paying over 10 million in fines, and the kid is open to being sued by the parents. Because the kid was a minor, and the way the charges were brought up, this is basically the maximum that the judge could do legally. This is like the Mcdonalds hot coffee case, the lies are getting bigger and bigger and more confounding the more the story gets posted.

Also, he may end up remanded to a treatment facility (The original story I read said he would serve his probation there), which is better than taking a 16 year old boy and giving him 2 decades of instruction in how to be maladjusted, violent and misanthropic while in prison.
    My understanding is he is being forced into some sort of program for drinking, but I dont know if that is just AA, or checked in somewhere.

The prosecution sought 20 years in prison. He was charged with intoxicated manslaughter as an adult. The maximum sentence for that is 20 years. The judge didn't even get into the ballpark of the maximum sentence. He did get the maximum fines. And the $10 million in fines represents the potential civil liability.

Goddamnit! now im mad again.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jaime Arrellano, of Carthage, pleaded guilty to two counts of intoxicated manslaughter and one charge of intoxicated assault. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison for causing the death of Martha Fidela Mondragon, 31, of Tyler, in the June 23 wreck. Arrellano was also sentenced to 16 years in prison for causing the death of Ms. Mondragon's unborn child and 10 years for injuring 6-year-old Bianca Mondragon.

The results of a comparable case of a sixteen year old who did something similar in Texas.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Alt joke: "hey man why is Chanus so winded?" "That walk to the ring really took it out of him"

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Honestly bros this is just confirmation of something that has probably always been true and is even more true now:

Rich people are treated differently in the criminal justice system.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with Calvin Klein's clothing?

I am presently wearing 2 articles of it.

How do you like it? There's a pretty awesome deal I can get on a suit I like the look of, and they have it on my size. I'm still not ready for the new year party.

Oh, I have two calvin klein suits. They're p decent quality. Im a stocky fat dude, but they also make a slim fit for the more svelte motherfuckers out there.

If this is a more general suit inquiry, yelp some tailors. They're the ultimate arbiters of whether you will look good in it or not :).

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    AFFLUENZA.

edit:
    The comments...lol
    Hey judge, have you heard of the Povuh-T Virus? It affects mostly inner city kids and it causes them to become criminals, drug pushers and prostitutes. The lack of jobs, parental supervision and after-school programs make them highly susceptible to this illness. I hear the affected have been known to hurt and kill a few people every now and then, if left untreated. But you know, it's not their fault - let's give them a lengthy probation too, so they can get better. Can you get on that as soon as you can?

Wait, what's that? That's different because they can't pay you off and their faces are a funny darkish color? Oh, Ok. MY BAD.

This is literally a defense used successfully in a ton of cases(at least in the 90's), including the same defendant charged with grand larceny on multiple occasions. He straight up said he did it, but the only skills in life, experience and environment he has was to steal for a living so he shouldn't be held accountable for his acctions. Juries agreed.several.times.

The internet outrage engine strikes again!

Man what, internet outrage machine my ass

He was drunk driving and he killed four people

If he wasn't rich as fuck he would have had to go to trial, and probably as an adult

He didn't even get a slap on the wrist! No wrist slaps were administered! This is a textbook case of "being rich gets you off"

Yes his family will have to pay cash out the ass, but if it was ME who had done that even as a sixteen year old I'd have gone to prison

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    judges fuck up rulings sometimes

this is a drawback to the system which we have put in place

fyi hth

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jaime Arrellano, of Carthage, pleaded guilty to two counts of intoxicated manslaughter and one charge of intoxicated assault. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison for causing the death of Martha Fidela Mondragon, 31, of Tyler, in the June 23 wreck. Arrellano was also sentenced to 16 years in prison for causing the death of Ms. Mondragon's unborn child and 10 years for injuring 6-year-old Bianca Mondragon.

The results of a comparable case of a sixteen year old who did something similar in Texas.
    Arrellano, who used a Spanish-speaking interpreter, cried as Ms. Mondragon's niece spoke to the defendant on behalf of the family during victim allocution.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I am finally watching The Host. Scott Wilson in the intro really weirded me out - it's a Korean movie, but there's Herschel, speaking English with no Korean subs.

Second thought, the compound bow some lady uses on TV is the coolest thing ever. She fires, then the whole thing like rolls down around her wrist.

Third thought AAAAAAAA MONSTAR

The Yumi?

It's really neat to watch people use one.

Here's an old, bald nerd demonstrating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ5qFbIgrcY

OMG FUCKING SHOOT THE ARROW ALREADY

I wonder how long it took him to arrange that carpet to his liking.

• Options
    a good tailor is just as important as the suit

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

fyi hth
    that's not even the main thing here

the main thing is not only can you be rich and therefore afford better attorneys/get better results in court when you are charged with a crime

but now you can also USE YOUR RICHNESS AS AN EXCUSE for what you did, in and of itself

that's fucked up beyond "whoops judge was dumb"

• Options
    Also the kid's parents should be slapped in the face three times just because it would make me feel better.

This I am okay with.

But I don't understand the end goal of prison as it stands. Turning people who make a mistake (Such as drinking and driving) into hardened criminals with a chip on their shoulder only works if the intention is every crime carries with it indefinite prison sentences.

Yes our criminal justice system is a travesty

Maybe it wouldn't be such a travesty if people of means were subject to it

• Options

Arrellano, who used a Spanish-speaking interpreter, cried as Ms. Mondragon's niece spoke to the defendant on behalf of the family during victim allocution.

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all.

I hope that kid has an actual lawyer still

smells like an equal protection suit to me

:(

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    automated email, coworker edited the timeoff calendar

"Half Day (blood)"

hmm that doesn't sound good

• Options

fyi hth

the main thing is not only can you be rich and therefore afford better attorneys/get better results in court when you are charged with a crime

but now you can also USE YOUR RICHNESS AS AN EXCUSE for what you did, in and of itself

how

the judge was the one who decided to accept the defense and administered the punishment

they, on the surface, made a bad ruling on both accounts

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    why did post eat my smiley

f u vanilla

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Seriously. If it actually took that long to shoot, everyone would have laughed at the guy who made it.

Is that narrated by a text to speech program? It sounds all weird.

• Options

fyi hth

how

the judge was the one who decided to accept the defense and administered the punishment

they, on the surface, made a bad ruling on both accounts

"welp that's the system" isn't a real useful approach here, it misses the point I think. this is something most people would think the system was designed to reject.

that's all.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

HOLY SHIT that's the lady I worked with. That happened back in... 2007 / 2008.

• Options
    Also the kid's parents should be slapped in the face three times just because it would make me feel better.

This I am okay with.

But I don't understand the end goal of prison as it stands. Turning people who make a mistake (Such as drinking and driving) into hardened criminals with a chip on their shoulder only works if the intention is every crime carries with it indefinite prison sentences.

No, it wouldn't be a travesty if people weren't so hellbent and extracting their pound of flesh. Almost nobody gives a shit about victims. They pay lip service to the victims of crime and then do everything in their power to ensure criminals are more likely to commit even more brutal acts. What people care about is the satisfaction that comes with 'comeuppins' and 'just desserts' and 'punishment should fit the crime' horseshit.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Is that narrated by a text to speech program? It sounds all weird.

sounds like it

also, sounds like the narration was written by someone whose first language isn't English

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Wow poor hispanic minor gets 16 years for killing a fetus and richy mcwhitepants gets nothing for a quadruple homicide

I can't even lolTexas, it makes me kind of embarrassed to be in the same country

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    why did post eat my smiley

f u vanilla

Was good!

• Options
    Yeessssss.... my secret santa gifts should be at the apartment now.
    gonna go home after work and ass.....FUCKFUCKFUCKFCUKFUFJKSDJKLAJDJ JAKLSJDAKsdLK

i have class

FUCK THE POLICE

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

This I am okay with.

No, it wouldn't be a travesty if people weren't so hellbent and extracting their pound of flesh. Almost nobody gives a shit about victims. They pay lip service to the victims of crime and then do everything in their power to ensure criminals are more likely to commit even more brutal acts. What people care about is the satisfaction that comes with 'comeuppins' and 'just desserts' and 'punishment should fit the crime' horseshit.

It's tied up in that insidious notion that "criminals" don't deserve to be treated like people.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i want a new suit and also i want to tailor my old suit

poo
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    it feels as htough someone has scooped out my brain and replaced it with wet sand

• Options
    edited December 2013

This I am okay with.

Saying I think the 16 year old rich kid should get a decade in prison for his crime is not an endorsement of our prison system, it would be great if nobody got sent to prison in cases like this (rehab/counseling/never able to drive again/some loss of liberty/etc)

But I'm pretty sure having a judicial system set up around locking up and throwing away the key for poors and sending rich people home without their supper is antithetical to justice. I'm saying if you're going to do it for one group you should do it for the other

override367 on
  • Options
    i want a new suit and also i want to tailor my old suit

Get a new suit and take both to the tailor!

TREAT
    YO
    SELF

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

This I am okay with.

Rich people have all the power in your society.

If they are not subject to the law, why should prison reform ever happen?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wait a minute. Are you guys saying that case of the 16 year old in Texas murdering my coworker was a case of the legal system being slanted against Hispanics / in favor of white people?

That fucking kid deserved every year sentenced to him, and my personal attachment to the victim (even if it wasn't too close) makes me feel like he deserves more (but that's my emotions flying wild). Drunk driving is fucking stupid and we need to come down on it like a motherfucker in this country.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

This I am okay with.

But how could that ever happen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

This I am okay with.

Saying I think the 16 year old rich kid should get a decade in prison for his crime is not an endorsement of our prison system, it would be great if nobody got sent to prison in cases like this (rehab/counseling/never able to drive again/some loss of liberty/etc)

But I'm pretty sure having a judicial system set up around locking up and throwing away the key for poors and sending rich people home without their supper is antithetical to everything this country was founded on. I'm saying if you're going to do it for one group you should do it for the other

And yet people were decrying this sentence long before anyone found a comparable case that resulted in prison time. Maybe the assumption was that he's getting probation and treatment because he's rich, but I seriously doubt there's a significant number of people calling for this kid's blood just because it would make the system 'fair'.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Yeessssss.... my secret santa gifts should be at the apartment now.
    gonna go home after work and ass.....FUCKFUCKFUCKFCUKFUFJKSDJKLAJDJ JAKLSJDAKsdLK

i have class

FUCK THE POLICE

I'm quite annoyed that the first few components for my SS gift haven't arrived yet.

Ordered on the 9th, 2-day shipping, c'mon amazon, what are you doing.

Sadly, the most elaborate part to construct isn't expected until monday, but I may be able to get things started anyway. Hopefully get it out by Wednesday.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options

This I am okay with.

But I'm pretty sure having a judicial system set up around locking up and throwing away the key for poors and sending rich people home without their supper is antithetical to everything this country was founded on. I'm saying if you're going to do it for one group you should do it for the other

And yet people were decrying this sentence long before anyone found a comparable case that resulted in prison time. Maybe the assumption was that he's getting probation and treatment because he's rich, but I seriously doubt there's a significant number of people calling for this kid's blood just because it would make the system 'fair'.

most of my outrage stems from the unfairness of it, yes. it's disparate treatment of rich and poor.

how much jail someone should get for vehicular homicide is another discussion, for me.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    1440p, YouTube?

Alright then.

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    So, uh, Starbound is great.

Just explored with my ape guy and found an outhouse on top of a ladder. Went down the ladder into an elaborate sewer city through shit people.

They killed me.

FYI Im at war with the shit people

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    What should have been that kid's sentence: 15 rounds with Chanus

I would probably spend two thirds of the rounds winded

I would train you. YOU WOULD EAT LIGHTNING AND CRAP THUNDER!

he's 50% of the way there already!

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wait a minute. Are you guys saying that case of the 16 year old in Texas murdering my coworker was a case of the legal system being slanted against Hispanics / in favor of white people?

That fucking kid deserved every year sentenced to him, and my personal attachment to the victim (even if it wasn't too close) makes me feel like he deserves more (but that's my emotions flying wild). Drunk driving is fucking stupid and we need to come down on it like a motherfucker in this country.

Henroid, I get what you're saying, and I'm sorry that this happened, it was unjust and should never have occurred, but you just said he 'murdered' your co-worker. If you're claiming that he targeted her and intended to kill her, then you're not rational. If you don't mean that, then take a step back for just a moment and think about what the end result of what you're saying will be.

This discussion has been closed.