Options

Game of the Year 2013 Poll [VOTE HERE]

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    My favorite are AAA indie games

edit - so "sex with men" is a short story?
    It's a Twine game.

edit: it's also worth pointing out that it's one of the least pretentious games I've ever played, like literally in my entire life few games have been so unpretentious. I'm getting pretty tired of people throwing a word they don't understand around as an insult against indie games they haven't played.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm missing the game? I'm not familiar with Twine, but I went to the link and read the stories about her having sex with men.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    @TychoCelchuuu real talk where do I find Sex with Men

Like others have said, a Google search is not providing sufficient results
    http://www.freeindiegam.es/2013/04/sex-with-men-lillian-behrendt/

Thanks

This was pretty great and likely would have been in my top twenty, knocking The Last of Us off the list

• Options
    Last year I found Crystal Warrior Ke$ha and this year Sex with Men

If I can get one cool text-driven game out of this thread every year I'll be happy

• Options
    Last year I found Crystal Warrior Ke$ha and this year Sex with Men

If I can get one cool text-driven game out of this thread every year I'll be happy
    We have a whole thread full of wonderful games! No need to limit yourself to one a year, especially when doing so makes you play them too late to knock The Last of Us out of your GOTY list.
    I guess I'm missing the game? I'm not familiar with Twine, but I went to the link and read the stories about her having sex with men.
    I guess I missed the game in The Stanley Parable? I'm not familiar with the Source engine, but I downloaded a program and ran it and a voice said some stuff while I walked around and hit some buttons.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Can we please not do this bullshit about "What is a game" again after the complete disaster of a discussion we got when this topic came up when the Walking Dead (rightly) won last year?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ahem I think you mean wrongly won in a year where Cry$tal Warrior Ke$ha was up for the prize.
    I actually ranked TWD higher when I voted last year.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I guess I missed the game in The Stanley Parable? I'm not familiar with the Source engine, but I downloaded a program and ran it and a voice said some stuff while I walked around and hit some buttons.

Alright, so you're gonna be a sarcastic goose. I wasn't, I was actually trying to figure out if there was more to it. If indeed that's all it is, then it's a short story.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Alright, so you're gonna be a sarcastic goose. I wasn't, I was actually trying to figure out if there was more to it. If indeed that's all it is, then it's a short story.
    No, it's a game. We went through this shit last year with The Walking Dead so it's time to break out the links:

http://storify.com/TychoCelchuuu/j-chastain-on-the-definition-of-games
    http://www.visitproteus.com/what-are-game/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgu76ql6FSo

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    I still need to play Proteus

I grabbed the PS3/Vita version for cheap a couple weeks ago

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Same, except it was the Steam version a while ago. One of the many GOTY 2013 contenders I've yet to get around to... sometimes I wish these polls were run 5 years later because then I'll have played most of the games. This year is much better than last in terms of playing games but still I left a lot hanging.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I didn't play a lot of games this year, but here are some very brief thoughts on my very brief list:

4. Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign: Fuck this game. I had high hopes for a Marvel-themed Puzzle Quest, and they churned out a stupid game that's constantly hammering you about paying more money for things.

3. Grand Theft Auto V: A fun enough game, with some really memorable missions, but I've realized I'm just tired of the GTA style. This is probably the last GTA game I'm going to buy unless Rockstar turns things around in a big way next year. (For evidence on a good open world drive/shoot/do odd other activities the developer decided to add in, see howling Watch_ Sleeping Dogs, which I am playing right now and adoring.)

2. Bioshock Infinite: Wow, this game was good. If the shooting had been just a little better, this would have been my number one. The use of music in this is phenomenal and the environments are fantastic to wander around in.

1. Kentucky Route Zero: I love the art in this game, I love the writing, I love the music, I love everything. More of this in 2014, please.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    3. Grand Theft Auto V: A fun enough game, with some really memorable missions, but I've realized I'm just tired of the GTA style. This is probably the last GTA game I'm going to buy unless Rockstar turns things around in a big way next year. (For evidence on a good open world drive/shoot/do odd other activities the developer decided to add in, see howling Watch_ Sleeping Dogs, which I am playing right now and adoring.)

I think the three main character thing was a big step in the right direction. I love how each guy represented a specific GTA personality. Franklin was the traditional "start at the bottom" GTA protagonist. Michael was the postgame GTA protagonist with all the money and nothing to do, and Trevor was the embodiment of how a real person usually plays GTA.

The heists were also really great. I'd love to see them expanded upon in the next GTA. Not so much as having them as missions, but more like side activities that allow you to plan out how you want to do them.

The thing I want the most though, is a good female GTA protagonist. A character like Gemma or Tara from Sons of Anarchy. This may be an impossible task though. The popular opinion about GTA writers is that they don't know how to write women characters well. Which is pretty apparent in GTA V and Molly. Molly was awesome. She was that Devin Weston guy's assistant(I think?), and she was so cool and collected in the way she handled herself. She wasn't intimidated by these petty criminals at all. Like, she doesn't care if you're unhappy that you haven't been paid yet Frank, if you don't fuck off, she'll put a bullet in you head without hesitation. But then there was the mission as Michael where you had to chase Molly to the airport to get your movie back...
    Suddenly and for no reason, Molly is in hysterics. "OMG OMG He's going to kill meeeeeee! Ahhhhh wat do?! Someone help!" Then security shows up to help her at the airport, but she wont listen to them and keeps speeding around the runway. Finally at the end, she's so uncharacteristically hysterical that she walks right into a jet engine...
    THat was pretty disappointing =/

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The thing I want the most though, is a good female GTA protagonist. A character like Gemma or Tara from Sons of Anarchy. This may be an impossible task though. The popular opinion about GTA writers is that they don't know how to write women characters well.
    Q: There's one thing that's interesting about your books. I noticed that you write women really well and really different. Where does that come from?
    George RR Martin: You know, I've always considering women to be people.

Bobble on
  • Options
    I thought Elizabeta Torres was pretty well written. She was maybe my favorite character in GTA IV. Probably just a fluke though.

• Options
    In other news I just played Proteus to review it for my site and, uh, wow, I wish I had played it before voting. It would be high up there on my list. It's $2 on Steam right now so definitely buy it.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

It's a Twine game.

edit: it's also worth pointing out that it's one of the least pretentious games I've ever played, like literally in my entire life few games have been so unpretentious. I'm getting pretty tired of people throwing a word they don't understand around as an insult against indie games they haven't played.
    are you sure you're in the right thread dude? nobody knocked it for anything other than not knowing what it even was, I even commented that I checked out a couple of the Twines in the list and that the Mouth one was pretty bad.

They are bad games because they are Twines (in my opinion), not because of their subject matter. No one in this thread has said a single negative thing about any of the subject matter in them.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about that Anne Hathaway game, but the title is fucking creepy (in a very bad way).

• Options
    I don't know anything about that Anne Hathaway game, but the title is fucking creepy (in a very bad way).
    Might as well check it out before Tychoo loses his shit again and says we all called it pretentious even though nobody had used that word in the thread yet (unless I missed it)
    http://lillianbehrendt.com/anneh.html
    It's not good and it's barely a 'game'.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I don't care whether "sex with men" is on the GotY list, but I genuinely don't understand how it's a game. It's a short story. What makes it a game?

• Options
    I almost bit on Proteus when it was on sale on PSN. Now it's back up to like, $15 I think. I hear it's good, but only about 40 mins to play through. Does it have replayability? Like, is there something new to see with each new game?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Arteen wrote: »
    I don't care whether "sex with men" is on the GotY list, but I genuinely don't understand how it's a game. It's a short story. What makes it a game?
    because you can click links man! and in any order you want! even though the order doesn't actually change anything about the short story being presented.

edit - and before tycho calls me out for saying Gone home is amazing but these twines are awful even though they are both simply relating a story to the player it's how they go about it. Gone Home will not let me proceed unless I figure things out. I can do things out of order, I can miss things, I can completely not understand the story of the father and the uncle if I don't find the right clues, you have to piece together a puzzle (albeit a light puzzle). These twines have nothing other than a story presented to you over a series of pages. If these are games than any story published online ever where you have to click next to get to the next page qualifies.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hardtarget wrote: »

It's a Twine game.

are you sure you're in the right thread dude? nobody knocked it for anything other than not knowing what it even was, I even commented that I checked out a couple of the Twines in the list and that the Mouth one was pretty bad.

They are bad games because they are Twines (in my opinion), not because of their subject matter. No one in this thread has said a single negative thing about any of the subject matter in them.
    I'm not sure what you're saying. First of all, I didn't accuse anyone of knocking Sex with Men in any manner except calling it pretentious without playing it and discarding the idea of the game because it is called "Sex with Men." It's not pretentious and I hate people throwing that word around as an insult at indie games anyways, and the idea that games shouldn't be about sex with men, or that games about sex with men don't belong in this GOTY poll, is pretty awful.

Moreover, seeing as most of the derision Sex with Men and Sepe's Cumshot received occured before anyone knew what they were, let alone before knowing they were Twine games, and seeing as Sepe's Cumshot isn't a Twine game, I don't really know what you are talking about.

Finally, if your attitude isn't something else but is actually

i8mckZ81U6eoA.png

I gotta say I don't find it super compelling.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    you just missed an edit I made as you were posting I guess, also my point was, unless I missed it, nobody used the word pretentious in this thread before you did so I don't get where your jpegs are coming from. It's like your out to prove a point that nobody disagreed with because you just assumed it was out there.

Also big jpegs don't somehow magically prove points

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So.

Games this year.

There were lots of good ones, right?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    And I just played Anne Hathawy: Erotic Mouthscape (which, contrary to the claim @Hardtarget made earlier, is clearly not just targeted at heterosexual dudes...) and I don't see what everyone's problem is. I found it hilarious. Games that do this sort of thing with violence - make it completely weird and over the top and hilarious, like Hotline Miami - don't get anywhere near as much shit as games that make sex as hilariously over the top. I wonder why!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is pretty short, right? I wonder if I could beat it before Sunday, between work, finishing ALBTW, at least getting to the credits on SM3DW, and putting at least 10 hours into Tomb Raider.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    you just missed an edit I made as you were posting I guess, also my point was, unless I missed it, nobody used the word pretentious in this thread before you did so I don't get where your jpegs are coming from. It's like your out to prove a point that nobody disagreed with because you just assumed it was out there.

Also big jpegs don't somehow magically prove points
    Lawndart wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Sex with men (PC)

I'm just going to have to presume this game exists, since a Google search for "sex with men" isn't really that helpful.

Well, unless I want to actually have sex with men, as opposed to playing some artsy-sounding indie game. Then it's extremely helpful, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure that actual sex with actual men will be less pretentious and underwhelming than the average indie art game.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    And I just played Anne Hathawy: Erotic Mouthscape (which, contrary to the claim @Hardtarget made earlier, is clearly not just targeted at heterosexual dudes...) and I don't see what everyone's problem is. I found it hilarious. Games that do this sort of thing with violence - make it completely weird and over the top and hilarious, like Hotline Miami - don't get anywhere near as much shit as games that make sex as hilariously over the top. I wonder why!
    Because it's a page by page story presented in only one way. Also i don't think anybody gave any of the 3 games mentioned in this thread any shit for the content of what was in them unless I totally missed a few posts.

edit well that is disappointing, thanks for nothing @lawndart !

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    You can beat Brothers in 2-3 hours.

• Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is pretty short, right? I wonder if I could beat it before Sunday, between work, finishing ALBTW, at least getting to the credits on SM3DW, and putting at least 10 hours into Tomb Raider.

You should be able to beat Brothers in a couple hours. Less if you don't stop to find out what the brothers can interact with in the environment. Though, I don't recommend doing that.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    captaink wrote: »
    PLEASE NOTE THIS POST REFERS TO THE VIDEO GAME BROTHERS: A TALE OF TWO SONS BY STARBREEZE STUDIOS, NOT ACTUAL BROTHERS, PLEASE DO NOT BEAT CHILDREN

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »

You should be able to beat Brothers in a couple hours. Less if you don't stop to find out what the brothers can interact with in the environment. Though, I don't recommend doing that.

Sit in all the benches!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PLEASE NOTE THIS POST REFERS TO THE VIDEO GAME BROTHERS: A TALE OF TWO SONS BY STARBREEZE STUDIOS, NOT ACTUAL BROTHERS, PLEASE DO NOT BEAT CHILDREN

I punched a baby once. In anger.

In my defense, though, the baby was kind of a dick.

• Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    I guess PS+, Steam sales and the fact that I started playing an MMO late in the year have prevented me from playing a lot of new games this year. I didn't even have 20, and left off 2 games I really didn't like to avoid bumping up their stats artificially. All told, I played 15 new games, or which I liked 13:

1.The Last Of Us (PS3)
    2.Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)
    3.Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PC, PS3)
    4.Pokémon X and Y (3DS)
    5.Tales of Xillia (PS3)
    6.Tomb Raider 2013 (360, PC, PS3)
    7.Ni No Kuni (PS3)
    8.Dead Space 3 (360, PC, PS3)
    9.New Super Luigi U (WiiU)
    10.Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 (PC, 360*)
    11.NHL 14 (360, PS3)

There's a ton of games on the list I want to play, but better for my wallet I guess that I haven't had the time.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

Holy shit, really? I think I'll play that next then prior to Ni No Kuni.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Lawndart wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Sex with men (PC)

I'm just going to have to presume this game exists, since a Google search for "sex with men" isn't really that helpful.

Well, unless I want to actually have sex with men, as opposed to playing some artsy-sounding indie game. Then it's extremely helpful, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure that actual sex with actual men will be less pretentious and underwhelming than the average indie art game.
    oh you say it's an artsy-sounding indie game about sex with men and not an AAA game about shooting things in the face? i bet it's pretentious.

who would want to play such a pretentious game? i know i wouldn't. excuse me i need to go spend 40 hours killing aliens because that is the true apotheosis of games as a medium

Get over yourself. Please.

Edit: If you are reading the following into my post joking about how it's difficult to find a game called "Sex With Men" through a Google search (which I actually did, by the way, since I wanted to play it, ignorant knuckle-dragging troglodyte that I am), let's just say that holy crap are you way off base:
    The idea that games shouldn't be about sex with men, or that games about sex with men don't belong in this GOTY poll, is pretty awful.

Edit #2: Oh, and you're misreading my original post. I'm not calling a specific game "pretentious", I'm saying that, based on those that I've played, I've found on average that indie art games tend to be both underwhelming and pretentious. You can castigate me for this all you wish, but at least criticize what I'm actually saying rather than this "You hate all Twine games and are a big homophobe" mirage you've conjured up here.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    About Brothers, here's the blurb I wrote in my post on the first page:
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: A magical, emotional story told without a single word. And the control scheme tells a part of the story as well. I want to say more, but I'd spoil it. If you haven't played it, please do so.

It's short and sweet. If you haven't voted yet, please play it and give it a chance. It'll probably make it onto your list!

Renzo on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Once again, the voting process just reminds me how few games I played this year actually came out this year.

My votes:
    1. Shadowrun Returns (Android, PC, iOS): An absolutely great, focused RPG experience, funded through Kickstarter, featuring some great user-generated content already and with more to come when the expansion hits any day now.
    2. Mechwarrior Online (PC): Possibly a bit of a controversial choice for so high a ranking, but when MW:O is good, it is one of the best gaming experiences possible, and playing it with my Oosik bretheren is an absolute blast (c.f., the Night of Infinite Dakka). Whether it crashes and burns or continues to be awesome is kind of up in the air at this point, unfortunately.
    3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PC, PS3, PS4, WiiU, XB1): FINALLY a sailing game that gives me chase armament! I haven't really played an AC game since the first one (the rest are sitting in my backlog), but this isn't really an AC game to me, so far. It's Sid Meier's Pirates! PG-13 Edition, and it's great fun.
    4. Europa Universalis IV (PC): I haven't really spent enough time with this one - almost all of my time's been in the demo, actually. :D But it's another great game from Paradox, and it shows their continuing commitment to providing quality releases out-of-the-gate, rather than several patches down the road.
    5. Warhammer Quest (iOS): One of my favorite tabletop games, and a good example of the (seemingly) recent trend to release good board games as iOS ports. Perfect for "just got a couple of minutes" of play.
    6. Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension (PC): Another largely-demo-based ranking, with only several dozen turns in the main game, in a series where the real aficionados spend years. This is a deep, weighty fantasy TBS, and I have no idea what I'm doing, but I love it anyway.
    7. Evoland (PC): DLC Quest turned into an actual, good game; it drips with nostalgia and has moments of genuine humor.
    8. Skyward Collapse (PC): Arcen's "Make these two sides fight, but don't let either of them win" TBS game. Lots of fun, easy to mess up, and undergoing continual improvement, like all of Arcen's titles seem to.
    9. Knights of Pen and Paper (iOS, Android, PC): A handheld RPG wherein you play a group playing a tabletop RPG session, complete with badly translated text from the original Brazilian Portuguese (I think). To add a character to your party, you pick the player who'll be playing it first. Lots of RPG jokes about "Ugh - another fetch quest?" etc. Love it.
    10. Sword of the Stars: The Pit (PC): Sci-fi Roguelike in the SotS universe? Yes, please. Never beaten it, which is par for the course for me. :D
    11. Rogue Legacy (PC): I am really, really bad at this game, but I like it anyway.
    12. Long Live the Queen (PC): The only one on my list that I haven't actually played; I'm voting on it purely as a reflection of its awesomeness for LPs and AARs, especially if you're named @Berylline. I'll be getting to it this year, though.
    13. Cookie Clicker (PC): I think the game's message is actually, "Hey, you know all those timewaster games that come pouring out on iOS? They all suck, and here's why they're dumb." And then it goes on to actually be kinda funny and you leave it running in the background and then you're seeing how many billions of cookies per second you can generate and OHSHITGRANDMAS!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

Holy shit, really? I think I'll play that next then prior to Ni No Kuni.

Easily. Ni No Kuni, on the other hand...I'm not sure you'll even get to the first save point. :p

This discussion has been closed.