As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] I guess there's an Expansion coming out this year ? Maybe ?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if Heroes of the Storm actually fully launched this year. Beta starting up, though, is totally a different matter.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I like how currently you can get better honor by not pvping. :rotate:

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    Truly the only winning move is not to play.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I remember it once made sense for me ( or at least I thought it did ) to do pvp to get honor then buy justice points. I think I was a fresh level 85 and the heroic dungeons were insanely hard to pug.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Wasn't The Dark Below a fake trademark listing somebody did to show how easy said listings are to fake?

Sounds like this "leak" didn't get the memo on that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So in leveling characters to 90 I've been doing my DPS ones first. Not as a part of a plan, just happenstance. Today I took my prot paladin to Pandaria because it's his turn. And really, it kinda frustrates me that shit doesn't die as fast with him.

On the flip side, what the fuck he never dies. Oh my god I've tried pulling so many things and it's just "nope, gonna take dis." It got a little more exaggerated when I realized Selfless Healer was a dumb talent and used Eternal Glory instead.

Edit - Oh hey while I'm at it, level 90 talents for paladins. I'm under the impression the choice doesn't fucking matter. They all do damage to enemies and healing to allies.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Level 90 paladin talents are kind of situational. Execution stance for single-target fights, prism for groups or when the party stacks, and the hammer thing when you need to pick up groups of adds in a certain location while you're somewhere else.

Yeah, I really can't think of any other situation where you'd take the hammer over prism.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Got bored and messed around leveling a mage.
    This is like every dungeon run
    *start casting frostbolt*
    *mob dies, heals water elemental*
    god dammit
    *spends the rest of the dungeon just spamming flameblast or whatever as fast as the CD will let him*

Also how do the new enchantments work now?
    They scale with your level?
    So like Windsong, Glorious Stats, Cloak Accuracy and stuff on heirlooms will level or will they stay at whatever level you were when you used the enchantment or what?

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    A whole night on H Siegecraft, a whole night of no progress. Either we kill the mines on the 2nd belt and everyone dies to the empowered laser/missiles combo, or we kill the laser/missiles and everyone dies to the mines. Still never getting past ~50% health. It's especially frustrating since I'm on the 1/3/5 belt group so everything goes wrong while I'm not even there.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Got bored and messed around leveling a mage.
    This is like every dungeon run
    *start casting frostbolt*
    *mob dies, heals water elemental*
    god dammit
    *spends the rest of the dungeon just spamming flameblast or whatever as fast as the CD will let him*

Also how do the new enchantments work now?
    They scale with your level?
    So like Windsong, Glorious Stats, Cloak Accuracy and stuff on heirlooms will level or will they stay at whatever level you were when you used the enchantment or what?

Just wait until you hit level 75 and get Frost Bomb. I levelled my mage yonks ago, but I've seen some while levelling my monk through dungeons and holy shite. Frost Bomb damn near one-shots everything it hits. It's crazy.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I nearly one shot everything on my mage when solo'ing.
    I have the one enchantment that does like up to X-amount of Elemental Damage. and it basically doubles the damage of my frostbolts.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Yes but Frost Bomb is deliciously AoE. It's a shame that snapshotting makes it so bad in raiding, I actually rather like the spell.

• Options
    ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    Played Vanilla Wow through Burning Crusade and I just got back into it for the weekend (probably longer who are we kidding)...some really cool design ideas have been implemented!

Dungeon Finder may be one of the greatest tools for leveling. Between the speed in which you can get a group together, the loot you can acquire and the rewards....genius. Plus all the quest givers in a linear format within the dungeon? Then when you're done you're transported directly where you were? My god man!
    Dungeon/Instance - New instance changes to the lower instances are different but nice. The dungeon almanac is great to see what gear can drop. Scarlet Monastery split up and Marauden split up is great.
    Leveling Speed - You can really fly through those early levels! After level 10 it seems to go much quicker....did Worgen questline which was cool and hit 34 in 2 days (not many hours played). Also rolled a 10 shaman Panda and 10 Monk human.
    Guild Reps/Bonuses - Very nice touch getting rep for your guild and earning bonuses as a group
    Achievements - Yeah, even back then i didn't have achievements. Fun shiny things popping up!
    Loot - Like the loot system when you win the item it pops up on the screen.
    Talent Tree - Sort of miss the talent trees, but DO enjoy getting Mortal Strike at lvl 10. Dual Spec is so cool.
    Skills - No more trainers to go get new leveled up skills? Awesome! Such a gold sink too back in the day.

Overall i'm really impressed with the changes. It makes it easier for anyone to pick it up and get going quickly even for novice or previously veteran players. I'd say the dungeon finder is my favorite thing so far though....who wants to wait outside the instance, use warlock summoning portals or LFG LFG LFG...get in get out, get loot.

"Look out here comes"..."Susan"..."Suuuuuuuuuuuuusan".
    "Woah, I just scared myself!"
  • Options
    Holy cow, really? I can't even imagine the culture shock of going from BC directly to MoP.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    tarnok wrote: »
    Holy cow, really? I can't even imagine the culture shock of going from BC directly to MoP.

I think the ramp up process works in the favor of the beginner. If I was say, starting fresh at the next xpac and had a lvl 90 given to me....that would be quite the shock. Then again, I played a LOT back in the heyday so maybe that's why i'm seeing the positives and no negatives.

• Options
    I think it's just hard for me to remember what the game was really like back then. I've had dungeon finder and achievements for so long I don't really think of them any more. It's hard to remember what it was like to sit in IF spamming LFG all day, trek out to the dungeon, get halfway through it and realize everyone sucks and you won't be able to finish, then people start bailing and you go back to IF.

I'm thinking forgetting that is for the best now actually...

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Yes but Frost Bomb is deliciously AoE. It's a shame that snapshotting makes it so bad in raiding, I actually rather like the spell.

Oh man, I thought I was the only one. My guild's Frost Mage hates it, apparently, much rather prefers multi-dotting with Nether Tempest. Which I find gets a bit hectic beyond 4 targets, but. I love Frost Bomb though, I'm just kind of sad it doesn't see much use beyond like, Galakras I guess.

Although for questing or outdoor world content (like Timeless Isle) I prefer Nether Tempest. It has such a fast tick rate that it'll do most if not all of it's damage to a target before it dies.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Remember when:

*Mounts dissolved in water, took 3 seconds to cast, and their speed was tied to the specific mount instead of your skill? And non-epic flying mounts flew slower than they could run? Also they took up inventory space.
    *Hearthstone cooldown was an hour?
    *Warriors had to complete quest chains to learn their stances?
    *Rogues had to brew their own poison (including leveling up their own special profession to do it) and it took up inventory space? And learning the skill required completing a quest chain? Also they conflicted with a shaman casting Windfury?
    *Rogues had to level up their lockpicking skill and there were areas in the game with a bunch of locked chests scattered about to help them do it?
    *Hunters had to worry about how happy their pet was and had to level each pet up individually?
    *Death Knights could tank in any spec, auto-res as a Ghoul, and also had talents to share their Presences with the entire party?
    *Weapon skill?
    *Defense cap?
    *Draenei got slightly different racials depending on what class they picked (Inspiring or Heroic Presence, effecting either Spell Hit or regular Hit) and it was an aura that effected their entire party?
    *Blood Elves had a Mana Tap racial that removed Mana from their targets and was used to build charges for their Arcane Torrent racial?
    *You had to queue for a Battleground at it's specific Battlemaster located in either a capitol city or at the battleground's entrance portal?
    *Stormwind didn't have a dock and for Alliance to get to Kalimdor usually involved a trip through the Wetlands?
    *Horde didn't have a zeppelin to take them between Orgimmar and Thunder Bluff?

Lars on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    In before the inevitable "good old days" discussion.

Though if we're being honest I do think there's some value to the class-specific quests, but in the current game world where you don't even have to visit your class trainer anymore to learn abilities, it's pretty clear that train has sailed.

• Options
    The best part about vanilla was not being able to get past level 20 unless the opposing faction allowed you to.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have to say, acquiring my warrior stances immediately was pretty nice. I wouldn't mind the quest chain from a lore perspective but I'm finding i'm so OVER leveled for my areas now because of the dungeon finder that it's hard to keep ahead. As a good ole day player, these "new days" are lookin so much better. One beef I have for those starting the game is the inability to have a death knight until i level up a new toon to 55. Death Knights came out right after I stopped playing and ive always wanted to partake.

The shaman quest chain was a biotch though...glad i dont have to do that again. And there is no weapon skill or defense cap anymore?!

Also - With the new levels, it seems like my warrior now at 34 has WAY more HP than my warrior did back in BC. Did they scale HP at all levels and not just +70?

EDIT - Getting XP from mining ore is legit.

Expigator on
  • Options
    sumwar wrote: »
    I remember it once made sense for me ( or at least I thought it did ) to do pvp to get honor then buy justice points. I think I was a fresh level 85 and the heroic dungeons were insanely hard to pug.

Sooo....i should wait on pvping till a certain point? I was thinking of messing around with it a little as i level.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Speaking of the "good old days," yesterday a guildmate uttered the words "carebear."

My guildie made it clear that he felt WoW isn't difficult and has progressively been made an easier game, but when asked to explain he would move on to complain about just-anyone being able to get raid quality gear. It lead to a discussion, or what I thought was supposed to be a discussion, about WoW's development and intended audiences and such. I wasted a lot of effort trying to explain that video games don't have to be this or that just because they fit into a genre. I tried to convey the concept of difficulty levels and how MMOs tend to lack that. I went on to explain that a lot of WoW players don't regularly play computer games, that their experiences with video games are extremely casual and that the demands of playing WoW really well are lost on them (situational awareness, for example; a lot of people see something in front of them and figure "kill it!" rather than be aware shit is happening around them). And that all these things are okay. Oh and for the hell of it, I pointed out that raid encounters have actually gotten more complex, rather than tank and spank affairs with the occasional "get out of the way!" attack by the bosses.

His counter argument? "But my gear is only 13 ilevels stronger than theirs. That's not right. If you can't play the game for shit you shouldn't be able to play at all."

GOOD OLD DAYS.

• Options
    Speaking to carebears...

One of the things that was really fun, but also head-into-wall, smashingly painful were fights like Patchwork. Those damn gear-check fights. My guild back in those days was near the top in the US (we raided 40+ hours a week....wtf no life). No strategic shifting or raid manipulations could get him down that first week. We had to farm some gear up before we could waltz in and smash him. But it literally was the dumbest mechanics for a fight. Then there are the Horsemen which was fantastically designed.

I was a 'carebear' hater back in the day. I was the worst pvper ever but i destroyed in rogue t2. Now that I can play maybe 10 hours a week, it's nice to know that Blizzard cares for the other side.

• Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Remember when:

*Mounts dissolved in water, took 3 seconds to cast, and their speed was tied to the specific mount instead of your skill? And non-epic flying mounts flew slower than they could run? Also they took up inventory space.
    *Rogues had to brew their own poison (including leveling up their own special profession to do it) and it took up inventory space? And learning the skill required completing a quest chain? Also they conflicted with a shaman casting Windfury?
    *Rogues had to level up their lockpicking skill and there were areas in the game with a bunch of locked chests scattered about to help them do it?
    *Hunters had to worry about how happy their pet was and had to level each pet up individually?
    *Death Knights could tank in any spec, auto-res as a Ghoul, and also had talents to share their Presences with the entire party?
    *Weapon skill?
    *Defense cap?
    *Draenei got slightly different racials depending on what class they picked (Inspiring or Heroic Presence, effecting either Spell Hit or regular Hit) and it was an aura that effected their entire party?
    *Blood Elves had a Mana Tap racial that removed Mana from their targets and was used to build charges for their Arcane Torrent racial?
    *You had to queue for a Battleground at it's specific Battlemaster located in either a capitol city or at the battleground's entrance portal?
    *Stormwind didn't have a dock and for Alliance to get to Kalimdor usually involved a trip through the Wetlands?

I remember all of this...

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    I joined in like January 2005 or something . So the first thing I remember is like "NOW INTRODUCING DIRE MAUL EPIC LOOTPALOOZA"

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Expigator wrote: »
    Speaking to carebears...

One of the things that was really fun, but also head-into-wall, smashingly painful were fights like Patchwork. Those damn gear-check fights. My guild back in those days was near the top in the US (we raided 40+ hours a week....wtf no life). No strategic shifting or raid manipulations could get him down that first week. We had to farm some gear up before we could waltz in and smash him. But it literally was the dumbest mechanics for a fight. Then there are the Horsemen which was fantastically designed.

I was a 'carebear' hater back in the day. I was the worst pvper ever but i destroyed in rogue t2. Now that I can play maybe 10 hours a week, it's nice to know that Blizzard cares for the other side.
    4 horsemen was great... If you had 4 warrior tanks (as if there was any other kind back then) with 4 piece set. Our good kept getting those poached so we never did get past there in vanilla.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Speaking of the "good old days," yesterday a guildmate uttered the words "carebear."

My guildie made it clear that he felt WoW isn't difficult and has progressively been made an easier game, but when asked to explain he would move on to complain about just-anyone being able to get raid quality gear. It lead to a discussion, or what I thought was supposed to be a discussion, about WoW's development and intended audiences and such. I wasted a lot of effort trying to explain that video games don't have to be this or that just because they fit into a genre. I tried to convey the concept of difficulty levels and how MMOs tend to lack that. I went on to explain that a lot of WoW players don't regularly play computer games, that their experiences with video games are extremely casual and that the demands of playing WoW really well are lost on them (situational awareness, for example; a lot of people see something in front of them and figure "kill it!" rather than be aware shit is happening around them). And that all these things are okay. Oh and for the hell of it, I pointed out that raid encounters have actually gotten more complex, rather than tank and spank affairs with the occasional "get out of the way!" attack by the bosses.

His counter argument? "But my gear is only 13 ilevels stronger than theirs. That's not right. If you can't play the game for shit you shouldn't be able to play at all."

GOOD OLD DAYS.

Did he....did he not experiance Cata Heroics?
    I LOVED Cata Heroics

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I did actually like cataclysm heroics. It was punishing if you didn't follow mechanics, but if people actually _talked_ to each other and made an effort they were all doable. Once I learned the fights I was able to talk a group through them fairly consistently, foiled only by people who'd drop after two wipes or the occasional person who just. could. not. execute. the beams on Corla or whatever her name was. Any other boss and it was just a matter of explanation and persistence.

edit: just to clarify, the thing I liked is that you had to pay attention to what was happening and interact with the game, not just tap out your rotation while you watch tv

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Remember when:

*Weapon skill?
    *Defense cap?

I may be misremembering, but didn't the Warlock mount quest take you thru the Barrens regardless of whether you were Horde or Alliance?

• Options
    I thought it was the Succubus quest

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    tarnok wrote: »
    I did actually like cataclysm heroics. It was punishing if you didn't follow mechanics, but if people actually _talked_ to each other and made an effort they were all doable. Once I learned the fights I was able to talk a group through them fairly consistently, foiled only by people who'd drop after two wipes or the occasional person who just. could. not. execute. the beams on Corla or whatever her name was. Any other boss and it was just a matter of explanation and persistence.

edit: just to clarify, the thing I liked is that you had to pay attention to what was happening and interact with the game, not just tap out your rotation while you watch tv

Yeah. The thing that bothers me most about the heroic/lfr difficulty is that it's so fucking boring when you know what you're doing. The Cata dungeons were fun because as a healer I actually got to play. Also, I'd get recognition for my healing skills when things went to shit and I legit saved everyone's asses. That never happens now because everyone could stand in everything and I could afk and go make a pot of tea and nobody would die. I actually "heal" dungeons in elemental spec right now, because the passive heals from ancestral guidance are enough to keep everyone up and dpsing gives me something to do.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    OTOH, BC heroics sucked at first. 360 degree cleaves = no melee DPS wanted for heroics. No CC? GTFO too.

I did like the heroics being somewhat difficult though, but given the grind for valor and stuff now, I don't want to do hard stuff with PUGs. I want to get it done and move onto guild stuff.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Remember when:

*Weapon skill?
    *Defense cap?

Oh man, the early DK stuff was hilarious. Not only was there the auto-res as a Ghoul, but their battle-rez wasn't a battle-rez. It turned a dead player into a Ghoul, complete with a seperate action bar. The best button was the one that made you EXPLODE.

Speaking of, Corpse Explosion. Remember that shit? I mean, it's back now as a glyph, but yknow.

I miss Blood DPS. :(

Edit: There was also that silly arena spec that was Blood DPS with a perma-ghoul!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Shadow Labs could take as long as a damn raid way back when. That shit was brutal.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Weapon skill was great as a Shaman. There was a talent in Enhancement that let you wield two-handed weapons. If you ever respecced, the talent was lost and your two-handed weapon skills dropped to 0. The next time you specced back into Enhancement the first thing to do was to grind the skills back up.

reVerse on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i remember seduce-soulfire

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    haha seduce nuking was the best

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The Defense skill is the thing that made me hate leveling in dungeons too much, if I was a non-tank. Because if I gained, say, 5 levels from dungeons, my defense skill would be lacking and things would hit harder.

Weapon skill was funny when evade bugged mobs were still a thing in the game. People would announce a mob being bugged and you'd see someone just swinging at it to gain skill.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Remember when:

*Weapon skill?
    *Defense cap?

Oh man, the early DK stuff was hilarious. Not only was there the auto-res as a Ghoul, but their battle-rez wasn't a battle-rez. It turned a dead player into a Ghoul, complete with a seperate action bar. The best button was the one that made you EXPLODE.

Speaking of, Corpse Explosion. Remember that shit? I mean, it's back now as a glyph, but yknow.

I miss Blood DPS. :(

Edit: There was also that silly arena spec that was Blood DPS with a perma-ghoul!

I would main swap so hard if they swapped blood and frost for tanking specs, it'd never happen though

This discussion has been closed.