As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FTL] Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition and iPad Version coming 2014!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    So, two things:
    One, I have last a depressingly large amount of crew due to the artillery beam firing while I'm in the middle of a boarding action. I always forget to turn the damn thing off, and I've lost at least a ship's worth of good men and women due to my negligence. Don't get me wrong, I love the beam, it makes sure anything that can take more than two volleys and still have weapons gets crippled anyway, it's just... easy to forget you've still got something about to kill the ship you've got men on.
    Two... I normally don't use missiles. After running out of them during my first attempt at the Rebel Flagship left me without any way to kill it, I started to stick with laser weapons, and rely on invigoratingly large amounts of dakka to win fights. However, I just unlocked the rock ship, and I'm taking it out for a spin for the first time. Only missile weapons, and I must say, they are...
    glorious, stomptastic, cathartic, I'm not sure. But I can say that the moment I fired an Artemis and immediately lolnoped an enemy's weapons while skipping their shields... I realized I'd been missing something wonderful.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Fires that were started during a battle don't go out after it ends, if the ship is still alive. Just like your ship. So it's fun to riddle a ship with fires then accept their surrender. Then the ship burns up a moment later.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, read about that on TV Tropes. Good fun!

Also:
    F6B1DF312CE0523785DFCC349C3432D615370C02
    This might be interesting.
    Edit:Aaaaand lost before I could see what would happen.

cB557 on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i've never seen that much scrap before, how/where are you getting it?

• Options
    Might be because I'm playing on easy.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    If you get a decent run with a Mantis B or Secret Ship B you will have more scrap than you can use.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Oatway/screenshot/615041013396073116

Oats on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've yet to try the game on Normal.

That said, I also never, EVER use weapons on auto. I'm too precise in my strikes.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    When are you supposed to use weapons on auto? It seems to me that you have to go manual on anything besides unshielded drones and Zoltan shields, since it only takes about 1.5 seconds for a shield to pop back up.

• Options
    Well, there are level two ion cannons, which are able slowly wear down shields and recharge crazy fast.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    on a run that actually crashed the entire game during the flagship fight, I had about 650 extra scrap in sector 7 with the mantis b while saving up for shield slots 7-8 and any other cool stuff because, well, it was fuckin' mantis b with 4 mantises. that ship had literally every system and subsystem unlocked/upgraded going into the flagship fight, but I found absolutely no lasers the entire run and was being forced to kill all the flagship crew, letting the AI take over and whittling the ship's health down as the AI repaired subsystems. at some point the game apparently went "everything about this is gross" and CTD'd, the only time FTL has ever done that to me.

I immediately restarted with the mantis b and died to a zoltan ship with burst laser 2 and artemis in the first sector.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    The only time I use auto fire would typically be for ion weapons, or if I have a matching pair of lasers that I want to always fire together. That said though, I never have all weapons set to autofire. If you hold ALT when targetting the enemy ship, you can have that weapon autofire while the rest will be manual.

And never have anything auto when using boarding parties, you will kill yourself. Repeatedly!

Every time I see this thread pop up, I keep hoping the new update has just come out, and every time I'm disappointed.

Most amount of scrap I've had at once:
    ?.jpg

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm truly embarrassed it took me this long to realize that if an enemy has not missile and can't break my shields, I can farm them for XP to my shield technician, engine technician, and pilot.

• Options
    You can also use autofire weapons to train your weapons guy too! Just be sure not to do enough damage to breach the shields and damage the ship!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Another day, another bump to this thread that still doesn't mean "iPad version is out!"

I has a sad.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    You can also use autofire weapons to train your weapons guy too! Just be sure not to do enough damage to breach the shields and damage the ship!

And if you really have a lot of time on your hands, you can cross-train your crew. You know, just in case.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I tend to always use auto-fire, but I keep careful track of things. Like, I'll disable a target if I'm waiting for another to fire at the same time, etc.

If I do all manual, I tend to forget to fire at all at times.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    finally broke a 20% winrate with the help of mantis b and rock b. been trying desperately to finally get the crystal ship unlocked before AE releases by running the latter ship, but after 190 hours of play I still haven't gotten past the crystal crewmate step. rock homeworlds always goes conspicuously missing or occurs in the first four sectors. :(

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hahahaha hahaha hahahahaha

why.

edit: clone bay!

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Mind control will add so many new ways to be a terrible person!

• Options
    edited February 2014
    *dopple post*

cB557 on
  • Options
    Yes, hard mode sounds nice :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I still wish there were some way of commandeering enemy ships if you're boarding them when your main ship gets wrecked. Of course you probably won't win in a Slug Fighter craft, but I don't see why it shouldn't be an option. Some of the bigger enemy ships seem like they would be legitimate endgame craft if upgraded.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I still wish there were some way of commandeering enemy ships if you're boarding them when your main ship gets wrecked. Of course you probably won't win in a Slug Fighter craft, but I don't see why it shouldn't be an option. Some of the bigger enemy ships seem like they would be legitimate endgame craft if upgraded.

Or even challenge runs starting with a small craft and trading your way up, so to speak.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    skyknyt wrote: »

Or even challenge runs starting with a small craft and trading your way up, so to speak.

The entire Hangar ship unlock system seems like it would be perfect for that sort of gameplay. Some ships you unlock by doing quests, others you get access to by capturing them and registering them at a store or something.

Maybe that's more of a sequel idea, though.

• Options
    Right up there with the MMORPG mode.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Right up there with the MMORPG mode.

Sarcasm? Because MMORPG mode sounds like a terrible idea...

• Options
    I suppose I should clarify. :P
    Well, maybe not mmorpg, but at least a mode with more exploration, and no wall of doom. Something more traditional rpg-ish. The mmo part was more "why the fuck not".

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So this hacking drone...
    Could this be used to hack the enemy ships doors, opening the airlocks?
    Because if it can, hell yes.
    I'd also like the ability to use my teleporter on the enemy crew.
    If they're trying to run away, I want to steal their pilot and drop him in a room with my Mantis 'welcoming committee'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Well, maybe not mmorpg, but at least a mode with more exploration, and no wall of doom. Something more traditional rpg-ish. The mmo part was more "why the fuck not".

Ah, yes, that does make more sense. I had an image of getting boarded and killed by some 13-year-old in Hong Kong whose ship just had four Small Bombs and a teleporter.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular

Sid Meier's Pirates mode, so to speak.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So this hacking drone...

If they're trying to run away, I want to steal their pilot and drop him in a room with my Mantis 'welcoming committee'.

Hack enemy door control, open all doors, rocket/bomb door control. Laugh maniacally.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

For as many hours as I've put into SM's Pirates, I don't think I've ever rescued more than two family members.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

For as many hours as I've put into SM's Pirates, I don't think I've ever rescued more than two family members.

Yeah. This. I'm so good at that game but at the same time so bad. Sorry, family members.

Campy wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    So this hacking drone...

Hack enemy door control, open all doors, rocket/bomb door control. Laugh maniacally.

Then hack/bomb the O2 control.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Pirates! on the Apple IIgs was what inspired me to learn to read (because I was tired of having my parents read everything on the screen for me). I probably knew all the islands/cities in the Caribbean before I knew the 50 US states. Anyway, I just re-installed the modern SMP the other day and binged out on it; defeated Montalban at his hideout, got all 4 family, all 4 Native treasure cities, Duke in all three non-Spanish cities, beautiful wife, all pirates and treasures "taken care of."

Since this has nothing to do with FTL, I'll tie it in: I would love to see an adventure mode in this game, maybe with more complex ships/crew (like 20 crew member limits with ships scaled up to compensate) and more things for the crew to do than bleep-bloop in front of a screen or shoot invaders hack enemies to bits with razor-sharp claws.

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    There's something very special about listening to Beach/Lounge chill out stuff while playing Engi B, 2 mantises are trying to break into the cockpit, while your anti-personnel drone is murdering them in the vacuum and you're surgically disabling their weapons.

Spiritual healing.

Anyone else playing the CE mod by the way? New flagship is pretty brutal.

fedaykin666 on
  • Options
    CE mod?

*googles*

Holy shit.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    watched the video for captains edition and the first fight has a ship firing multiple mini-rockets at you. :neutral_face:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15663 if anyone is interested. motherfucking battlestations. BATTLESTATIONS.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's definitely harder. The main strategic change I would suggest is that the defence drone is far less absolute protection- missile barrages, cloaked missiles and cloaked mines go straight through a level 1 defence. The mini-rocket drones look scary but only do crew and system damage + breaches (0 hull damage), so not necessarily a major disaster.

My ship best screen for the kestrel had a vanilla victory at a score of 3900 or so and a CE sector 8 loss at over 5000.

Still, when you encounter some such nasty combo, the golden rule of suggesting to Chewie that he should punch it works as well as it ever did.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I don't think I have ever escaped a fight. I either fly through the debris left by their destroyed ship, part ways amicably or die.