Options

[Superhero Movies] Scott Derrickson says something STRANGE is afoot! (p.56)

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Latino Review is a stopped clock

It's right on occasion but only by accident

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Badassdigest lists some more things to keep in mind when it comes to recent MCU developments
    - At some point Marvel took Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish off the Ant-Man script and gave it to Eric Pearson (he wrote all the One-Shots).
    - Whedon has said that Age of Ultron is the finale to his time with Marvel
    - Thor 2 was taken away from director Alan Taylor in post and another director was brought on to shoot additional material
    - Kevin Feige's contract with Marvel is up in 2018
    - Disney is apparently getting more and more hands-on with the MCU

they're still citing Latino Review as source for basically all of it, though

Only for Goddard leaving and for the reason behind Edgar Wright leaving. They didn't say that Pearson was the one brought on to rewrite the script.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think -Tal Review is right more often than Latino Review at this point.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    i am like 1000% sure Whedon isn't leaving till Avengers 3 c'mon

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Avengers 3 is going to be a major turning point for the MCU, isn't it

I mean that's RDJ's last movie per his current contract, right? So you'll have to figure out what to do with that.

Same with Chris Evans, although I guess he'll have Captain America 3 the year after

I guess I'm not sure about Chris Hemsworth or any of the others

• Options
    Nah Cap 3 is before Avengers 3

Post-A3, if they're smart, they'll have Rhodey and Bucky take over for Tony and Steve

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i want it to become a thing that the Latino Review is regarded as a satire site like the Onion

even if it's not true I want people to think it's true so that everything that comes from there is immediately disregarded

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Rhodey and Bucky taking over for Tony and Steve is the fastest way for me to lose interest in a significant section of the MCU.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Like, do they have a quote for that Whedon thing?

Because I know he talked about how Thanos is his plan for Avengers 3 and Ultron was always the plan for 2, which kinda contradicts "nah I'm just doing 2" wholesale

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Avengers 3 is going to be a major turning point for the MCU, isn't it

I mean that's RDJ's last movie per his current contract, right? So you'll have to figure out what to do with that.

Same with Chris Evans, although I guess he'll have Captain America 3 the year after

I guess I'm not sure about Chris Hemsworth or any of the others

there's a reason phase 3 is setting up a bunch of new franchises

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Robot Downey Jr

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Nah Cap 3 is before Avengers 3

Post-A3, if they're smart, they'll have Rhodey and Bucky take over for Tony and Steve

Oh, right, my bad on that.

And yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Rhodey especially almost feels like he's being vetted to replace Tony.

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Like, do they have a quote for that Whedon thing?

Because I know he talked about how Thanos is his plan for Avengers 3 and Ultron was always the plan for 2, which kinda contradicts "nah I'm just doing 2" wholesale

Nope! Which is weird since Devin has usually been pretty reliable with his reporting. Maybe he'll post something in the comments

• Options
    Rhodey and Bucky taking over for Tony and Steve is the fastest way for me to lose interest in a significant section of the MCU.
    What

why?

Don Cheadle is just as charismatic as RDJ and Bucky-as-Cap is a super interesting character and distinct enough from Steve that it won't feel like he's just a carbon copy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    don cheadle and robert downey jr. are both 49

I know he's not ancient, but you gotta wonder if they'd be gunshy about starting a spinoff with a dude that'd be in his mid-50s by the time they started the first one

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Honestly post A3 they should probably wait more than a few years before trying to do another Avengers movie (specifically). They should be able to play with Guardians, and they could probably do a Thunderbolts movie with little to no advanced setup needed (depending on who they use, obviously). And there will be other properties as well.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, I like Don Cheadle. I don't think he could carry his own superhero film.

And Bucky Cap had a great run, but he's not the Cap I want. Just my preference.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    don cheadle and robert downey jr. are both 49

I know he's not ancient, but you gotta wonder if they'd be gunshy about starting a spinoff with a dude that'd be in his mid-50s by the time they started the first one
    Eh, he doesn't look 49 at all
    140404_doncheadle.jpg

and, like RDJ, Iron Man is the best superhero to have an older actor for because all of their crazy action scenes are in a largely CGI suit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man if Don Cheadle can carry an Oscar nomination for Hotel Rwanda I think he can carry his own superhero movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Well that's not too bad then

Goddard is still on board in some capacity and the new showrunner doesn't sound that bad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    a rhodey movie should be called iron patriot with him as iron patriot, not iron man 4

similarly I would like to see falcon inherit cap-style movies, but still as the falcon

for thor, beta ray bill as beta ray bill

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    It's not really just a matter of how they look. It's a matter of them spending a hundred plus million dollars on a movie. And Don Cheadle's in great shape! But he's only gonna get older, and that starts being riskier to build a franchise around.

And honestly...part of the advantage of having a big, cinematic universe like this should be that you can retire a character for a while and let others fill the gaps. They don't need to perpetually have an Iron Man or Iron Man spinoff in development. Of course the real test is how Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man do, but it's not like they don't have more conventional heroes waiting in the wings.

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    a rhodey movie should be called iron patriot with him as iron patriot, not iron man 4

similarly I would like to see falcon inherit cap-style movies, but still as the falcon

I'd prefer War Machine to Iron Patriot, but otherwise I agree

• Options
    New show runner does not inspire confidence.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The way I'd want it after Avengers 3 is to leave all the main avengers in supporting roles, so they can be brought into future films, but

Tony retires and becomes an outfitter for the Avengers, low capacity cameos
    Steve becomes the new head of SHIELD, still kicks ass every now and then (dude is still young)
    Thor becomes King of Asgard, still kicks ass every now and then (also still young)
    Hulk... man I wish we got one more Hulk movie where they could smarten him up a bit, because I'd do Planet Hulk as the first Phase 4 film and end with him as King of Sakaar, finally at peace with a planet where his Savage Hulk side is not only accepted, but an asset. Maybe have him show up in future cosmic films.

Hawkeye.. gets his own miniseries based on Hawkguy.

Black Widow can get some movies of her own.

• Options
    if they do spinoffs with the secondary heroes that have already been in Marvel movies they should have a thing in Avengers 2 or 3 where all the core avengers go down and the other guys have to step up and fuck ultron or thanos up

honestly though if they're going to spin off from captain america they're going to spin off towards bucky

• Options
    I'd rather see Bucky and Sam share the lead

They have a fun relationship and there's no way they have both a Falcon and a BuckyCap franchise, and Bucky's story is most definitely worth telling (which Marvel agrees with given that insane contract they had him sign)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'd rather see Bucky and Sam share the lead

They have a fun relationship and there's no way they have both a Falcon and a BuckyCap franchise, and Bucky's story is most definitely worth telling (which Marvel agrees with given that insane contract they had him sign)

more duo movies would be great

black widow and hawkeye, ant-man and wasp, captain marvel and iron patriot, hulk and she-hulk

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

I'd prefer War Machine to Iron Patriot, but otherwise I agree

war machine was a little too aggressive, iron patriot sends a better message

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    WARMACHINEROX

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I'd honestly rather they role out new franchises than put out a slate of movies that are just legacy characters.

• Options
    fuck, guys, iron man three was rad

• Options
    go figure that the most thrilling action scene in a superhero movie in years was a guy trying to rescue people falling out of a plane

go figure

• Options
    I'd honestly rather they role out new franchises than put out a slate of movies that are just legacy characters.

I mostly agree

I just assume there's going to be a sort of transition period where we have guys like Rhodey and Bucky filling in the gap left behind by the first generation of MCU characters, to create a sense of continuity

• Options
    I mean

they're going to do both

We're getting Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and Guardians

but unless each of those are massive billion dollar successes we will still get some form of Iron Man, Cap and maybe Thor movies

they're too vital to the Marvel brand and proven hits several times over

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    If we do see a Don Cheadle solo flick, I'd like it to be Rhodey refusing military control and taking over the Iron Man mantle (Iron-Mantle?) Between that and Bucky Cap, if Marvel can sell audiences on the idea of legacy heroes, all casting problems will be solved before they happen.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    I have serious doubts on the viability of the Iron Man franchise without RDJ.

Like, I imagine they can get it to Thor or Cap level successes, but I don't see them making a billion dollars again.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    James Gunn just posted this:
    Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they're amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn't it make sense they should love each other? But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren't meant to be together - not because there's anything wrong with either of them, but they just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. They don't make each other happy. Although it's sad to see them split, when they do, you're surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next.
    It's easy to try to make one party "right" and another party "wrong" when a breakup happens, but it often isn't that simple. Or perhaps it's even more simple than that - not everyone belongs in a relationship together. It doesn't mean they're not wonderful people.
    And that's true of both Edgar Wright and Marvel. One of them isn't a person, but I think you get what I mean.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I have serious doubts on the viability of the Iron Man franchise without RDJ.

Like, I imagine they can get it to Thor or Cap level successes, but I don't see them making a billion dollars again.
    I mean they've been seeding Rhodey as a successor for two movies now

and he's the only non-Avengers 1 dude showing up in Age of Ultron

all they need is a good passing the torch moment in Avengers 3. Cheadle has proven he can punch in RDJ's weightclass performance-wise, they just need to make audiences accept him as Iron Man

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.