As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superhero Movies] Scott Derrickson says something STRANGE is afoot! (p.56)

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also, Michael Fassbender was so awesome in this movie.

Like, his fashion and grace and acting and just damn.
    My favorite scene might be when he is crushing/shaking the plane while yelling at Charles for abandoning mutants.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Keith David has a voice that is like a weapon

keith david as black bolt

No no no

Vin Diesel was born to play Blackagar Boltagon

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm telling you guys, Karl Urban is Black Bolt.

You of all people should realize that Olivaw, we've seen what he can do with a role that involves only showing the lower half of his face and saying very little.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Reed Beebe missed old-fashioned comic book communication, requesting, "The letters pages traditionally printed in the back of Marvel's comics have moved to Marvel's website; is this a temporary move, or will fans need to check the website going forward to read the fan letters?"

Alonso: It was a temporary move to accommodate an influx of ads, Reed Beebe. The letters pages will return to print. Thanks for asking.

• Options
    (Reed Beebe is the most prolific letters page participant in comics, and at one point planted a coded message in the letter column of 35 different comics to celebrate the 35th anniversary of 2000AD)

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Keith David has a voice that is like a weapon

keith david as black bolt
    Racist

I like this one better.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I know he's American, but it's really weird hearing Peter Dinklage speak without a British accent.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I am maybe 15 minutes into DOFP (i'm at a drive-in, i'm not on my phone at a theater, i'm not a monster)

My suspension of disbelief is stretched so far it could blanket an entire nation

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Sorry for being tardy to the Wonder Woman pilot party but I always liked this review from Nash, Linkara and Film Brain of Channel Awesome myself. The review itself kicks in at the 4:25 mark.
    'Pants to be darkened!'

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Is this Mystique plot something that has happened in the comics, or something they invented when they realized they had the good fortune to lock down Jennifer Lawrence 10 seconds before she became the biggest star in the world?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Wow. Coulson has evolved so much as a character since Iron Man.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Phil Coulson might be my favorite thing about the MCU

I just love the idea of the generic g-man that would fit into any movie suddenly getting his own personality and being one of the primary threads that ties together a multi-billion dollar franchise.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I just love the idea of the generic g-man that would fit into any movie suddenly getting his own personality and being one of the primary threads that ties together a multi-billion dollar franchise.

The one weird thing with Coulson is the comics, he's just in comics suddenly in the last few years, but even first appearance was treated like he's always been there.

Still love Coulson tho

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

The one weird thing with Coulson is the comics, he's just in comics suddenly in the last few years, but even first appearance was treated like he's always been there.

Still love Coulson tho

What I like about Coulson is that who knows, maybe he was that generic looking dude in the background of SHIELD in the comics all along, you know?

That's the role he fills, but they've managed to take that character and give him a lot of personality and depth and made him really entertaining in his own right, to the point that he's headlining a TV show!

• Options
    Who'd guess that once you give a person dialogue and individualized stories that they become substantial?

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Well, to be fair, the internet attached pretty hard onto Coulson even without any deep reason to. He was substantial long before having an individualized story, just from having become popular.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm actually aware of some people on the internet who hate Coulson because he's a generic white guy

which I can sympathize with if not agree

• Options
    Okay I enjoyed the hell out of that X-Men movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hating a character because he's a white guy is

Kinda fucked up

Like yeah we need more diverse MCU but if that's the only reason you dislike Coulson then that's fucked

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    James Gunn just posted this:
    Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they're amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn't it make sense they should love each other? But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren't meant to be together - not because there's anything wrong with either of them, but they just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. They don't make each other happy. Although it's sad to see them split, when they do, you're surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next.
    It's easy to try to make one party "right" and another party "wrong" when a breakup happens, but it often isn't that simple. Or perhaps it's even more simple than that - not everyone belongs in a relationship together. It doesn't mean they're not wonderful people.
    And that's true of both Edgar Wright and Marvel. One of them isn't a person, but I think you get what I mean.

Corporations are people, my friend.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm actually aware of some people on the internet who hate Coulson because he's a generic white guy

Yeah, but let's not pretend that there's any sort of equivalence between that handful of people and the many more fans who hate or otherwise dismiss or degrade any superhero who isn't a white man.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    James Gunn just posted this:
    Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they're amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn't it make sense they should love each other? But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren't meant to be together - not because there's anything wrong with either of them, but they just don't have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. They don't make each other happy. Although it's sad to see them split, when they do, you're surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next.
    It's easy to try to make one party "right" and another party "wrong" when a breakup happens, but it often isn't that simple. Or perhaps it's even more simple than that - not everyone belongs in a relationship together. It doesn't mean they're not wonderful people.
    And that's true of both Edgar Wright and Marvel. One of them isn't a person, but I think you get what I mean.

Corporations are people, my friend.
    I cannot think of a more appropriate post to deserve the "Hail Hydra!" button.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    I know he's American, but it's really weird hearing Peter Dinklage speak without a British accent.

peter dinklage has the weirdest fake british accent

it's recognizably british but it doesn't sound anything like any british person who has ever actually existed

someone pointed it out to me last season and now i can't stop noticing it

• Options

Yeah, but let's not pretend that there's any sort of equivalence between that handful of people and the many more fans who hate or otherwise dismiss or degrade any superhero who isn't a white man.

Not my intention at all.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Kinda fucked up

Like yeah we need more diverse MCU but if that's the only reason you dislike Coulson then that's fucked

I'm torn because yeah being a bland boring guy to begin with is kind of the point of him

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers
    it does kind of send a weird message to replace Sam Jackson with Captain Whitebread

• Options

Kinda fucked up

I'm torn because yeah being a bland boring guy to begin with is kind of the point of him

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers
    it does kind of send a weird message to replace Sam Jackson with Captain Whitebread
    I think that calling him a bland boring white guy post-AoS is inaccurate.

Dude went through some shit.

And he didn't want the job, he even suggested Maria Hill over himself. Fury just trusts Coulson more than anyone, even after he basically fucked with everything in his life. Boiling it down to "white dude replaces black dude as head of SHIELD" is a super oversimplification.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options

Kinda fucked up

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers
    Yeah
    But he's not long for the role. It sucks from a TV storytelling perspective, and as I've said before, he lacks the skills to be effective beyond forming the group.

Victoria Hand would've been perfect. Let's hope there's an LMD of her in storage somewhere.

• Options

Kinda fucked up

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers
    Yeah
    But he's not long for the role. It sucks from a TV storytelling perspective, and as I've said before, he lacks the skills to be effective beyond forming the group.

Victoria Hand would've been perfect. Let's hope there's an LMD of her in storage somewhere.

I actually
    have a good feeling about Coulson as director of SHIELD. I mean, he's definitely not experienced in navigating the politics of it, but that's almost what I like about him. He has an incredibly idealistic take on what SHIELD should be, and I think that that sort of optimistic foundation is just what SHIELD 2.0 needs. I would suspect that he eventually hands it off, hopefully to Maria Hill, but only after he's set it up to be the organization for good he truly believes it can be.

• Options

Kinda fucked up

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers

And he didn't want the job, he even suggested Maria Hill over himself. Fury just trusts Coulson more than anyone, even after he basically fucked with everything in his life. Boiling it down to "white dude replaces black dude as head of SHIELD" is a super oversimplification.
    well yeah but that's what the big picture is, a simplification

sometimes you got to consider the big picture

• Options

Kinda fucked up

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers

well yeah but that's what the big picture is, a simplification

sometimes you got to consider the big picture
    I think this isn't one of those times!
    Furys still running around hunting Hydra, Hill is probably working with Tony on the Avengers.

If anything Coulson has the least impressive gig, the new SHIELD has, like, no resources or power. It is just Coulson and who he can recruit. It ain't like he gets an office in the Triskellion.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    anyhow I think we can all agree that more Cobie Smulders on our television screens would not be a bad thing

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    I'd rather her be in our movies but yeah

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I dont think smulders is very good actually

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I dont think smulders is very good actually

You best just keep walkin', son.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Kinda fucked up

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers
    Yeah

I actually
    have a good feeling about Coulson as director of SHIELD. I mean, he's definitely not experienced in navigating the politics of it, but that's almost what I like about him. He has an incredibly idealistic take on what SHIELD should be, and I think that that sort of optimistic foundation is just what SHIELD 2.0 needs. I would suspect that he eventually hands it off, hopefully to Maria Hill, but only after he's set it up to be the organization for good he truly believes it can be.

Coulson's idealism will probably be a huge problem.
    New SHIELD has zero backing. No government is funding it or giving it any authority. In order for it to operate with any effectiveness, they either need to get a huge amount of political backing, or do everything illegally. Since it's highly unlikely any country will be willing to give the new SHIELD money or allow it to operate within their borders, doing things illegally is pretty much the only choice Coulson has. They have intelligence network, so they pretty much have to steal from other intelligence services. They have no authority to operate within any nation, so they have to circumvent the law enforcement/government of every country they go into. I doubt that they're legally allowed to develop/use/own the kinds of weapons/technology that SHIELD had.

• Options

Kinda fucked up

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers
    Yeah

I actually

New SHIELD has zero backing. No government is funding it or giving it any authority. In order for it to operate with any effectiveness, they either need to get a huge amount of political backing, or do everything illegally. Since it's highly unlikely any country will be willing to give the new SHIELD money or allow it to operate within their borders, doing things illegally is pretty much the only choice Coulson has. They have intelligence network, so they pretty much have to steal from other intelligence services. They have no authority to operate within any nation, so they have to circumvent the law enforcement/government of every country they go into. I doubt that they're legally allowed to develop/use/own the kinds of weapons/technology that SHIELD had.

Right, but
    I don't know if he'd really mind doing things a little illegally. I imagine SHIELD is basically going to become the international organization version of a vigilante, operating off the radar and doing good.

The idealism I refer to is the idea of SHIELD being, first and foremost, an agency concerned with protecting people, instead of trying to circumvent their freedoms and rights when it suits them. I think Coulson's the right man for the job because he has the right take on what SHIELD should be, and things like funding can fall into place after he's proven that he's got the vision for it.

I mean, if a team of highly trained secret agents came into your country and solved a problem for you that no one else could and a guy like Coulson was leading them, wouldn't you feel better about the organization they're starting up?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Kinda fucked up

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers
    Yeah

I actually

Right, but
    I don't know if he'd really mind doing things a little illegally. I imagine SHIELD is basically going to become the international organization version of a vigilante, operating off the radar and doing good.

The idealism I refer to is the idea of SHIELD being, first and foremost, an agency concerned with protecting people, instead of trying to circumvent their freedoms and rights when it suits them. I think Coulson's the right man for the job because he has the right take on what SHIELD should be, and things like funding can fall into place after he's proven that he's got the vision for it.

I mean, if a team of highly trained secret agents came into your country and solved a problem for you that no one else could and a guy like Coulson was leading them, wouldn't you feel better about the organization they're starting up?

But Coulson never had any problems with the things that SHIELD used to do.
    If Hydra had never revealed itself, Coulson would have been fine with the status quo.

As for helping people, much of what SHIELD does has no immediate or direct impact on people. They're not just a bunch of high tech police stopping robberies or muggings. They deal with problems that have long term effects like proliferation of potentially dangerous technology. If new SHIELD goes around stopping companies or governments from developing technology isn't going to make anyone happy.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Comics Are For Everybody shirt came in today

Also I picked up my weekly books today and they just had them sitting on the counter waiting for me when I got in, which gave me an oddly satisfied feeling

So happy that I found a really nice comic book store as opposed to the shitty one I was going to before

• Options

Kinda fucked up

but on the other hand

AoS spoilers
    Yeah

I actually

Right, but

But Coulson never had any problems with the things that SHIELD used to do.
    If Hydra had never revealed itself, Coulson would have been fine with the status quo.

As for helping people, much of what SHIELD does has no immediate or direct impact on people. They're not just a bunch of high tech police stopping robberies or muggings. They deal with problems that have long term effects like proliferation of potentially dangerous technology. If new SHIELD goes around stopping companies or governments from developing technology isn't going to make anyone happy.

I don't know if that second part's really true (though you've mostly got me on the first part)
    I mean one of SHIELD's jobs, as we've seen time and time again, is responding to superpowered threats. While it's definitely a huge help to have the tech and tools for it, I think that even just having a team that's as experienced with that type of situation as Coulson's is at this point is going to give you an advantage over any local police force.

And actually, going back to how okay Coulson was with the status quo, I'm not so sure. I mean, he definitely had no moral qualms with locking people up in a dark cell for days on end without a lawyer, but even in the first episode he made it clear that he wasn't willing to kill someone if he had the choice, which is definitely different from how most other SHIELD agents we've seen do things.

This discussion has been closed.