Options

The One [chat]

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I'm hopeful about Constantine but man I wish it had been any network besides NBC.*

*Okay, CBS might be worse.

I think one thing you have to give NBC is that being in last place almost obliges them to give niche shows a fair shot. Even though it basically lived on the bubble I don't think Community would have made it anywhere close to five seasons anywhere else.

Except they aren't in last place anymore. So we'll see how that plays out.

Yeah, that was a weird turnaround. I'm curious to see how long that lasts.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    for a minute there I thought you guys were talking about a new TV show about the Roman emperor Constantine

now I am dissapoint

Kinda surprised no one has tried it as a period piece. It's got everything. Politics, backstabbing, civil wars and the first Christian Emperor.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I'm hopeful about Constantine but man I wish it had been any network besides NBC.*

*Okay, CBS might be worse.

I think one thing you have to give NBC is that being in last place almost obliges them to give niche shows a fair shot. Even though it basically lived on the bubble I don't think Community would have made it anywhere close to five seasons anywhere else.

Except they aren't in last place anymore. So we'll see how that plays out.

wait, when did that change? who is last now?

CW but among the majors, Fox is last but pretty tight with ABC.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This evening while hanging out with relatives my mom decided to talk to me about how gay my cousin sounds when he talks, the degree to which his sounding gay makes her feel sick, how his being a dancer probably means that he is gay, etc.

You know, [chat]. I have a lot of problems.

But I am really glad that intolerance of people's sexual lifestyles is not one of those problems.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    for a minute there I thought you guys were talking about a new TV show about the Roman emperor Constantine

now I am dissapoint

That would be great. Lots of ambiguous events, centralisation of the state and then confusing Christianity and paganism. Would go down a treat with everyone

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

now I am dissapoint

Kinda surprised no one has tried it as a period piece. It's got everything. Politics, backstabbing, civil wars and the first Christian Emperor.

Is PAX still a channel? They should do it.

HBO could but then it'd just be period piece tittyfest #703

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Huh, Steve Perry's still got some vocal chops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOxEqL3fEW8

Gim on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    This evening while hanging out with relatives my mom decided to talk to me about how gay my cousin sounds when he talks, the degree to which his sounding gay makes her feel sick, how his being a dancer probably means that he is gay, etc.

You know, [chat]. I have a lot of problems.

But I am really glad that intolerance of people's sexual lifestyles is not one of those problems.
    _J_ I think you're great

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I think Transistor is the first game in a LONG time to make me feel creatively inspired after finishing it. Maybe the first time since the PS2 days...

Anyway, I have reached my post limit on this subject, though, so that is all.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I think Transistor is the first game in a LONG time to make me feel creatively inspired after finishing it. Maybe the first time since the PS2 days...

Awesome for first sentence out weighs the "Hail Hydra?" for the second sentence.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    wittgenstein-chan...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Well, I am a bit wet. Wish I hadn't left my umbrella at the bar the other morning.

• Options

Awesome for first sentence out weighs the "Hail Hydra?" for the second sentence.

The second sentence just meant that I haven't nerded out thinking about a game's plot this much since then.

• Options
    Well, Kim Dot Com's Pirate Partyesque party has formed a joint venture with the Mana Party, a true left-Maori alliance. This is a bit odd.

Mana has a lot of left and Maori veteran activists, Internet Party has a more technology focused membership and loads of cash.

A couple of high profile members have left Mana already, from the left.

I'm not sure how this will work

• Options
    BASEketball...

Yes, I suppose I was that young once...

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

The second sentence just meant that I haven't nerded out thinking about a game's plot this much since then.

I purchased it, but I haven't started playing yet. I'll probably wait until the coming weekend to get my game on so that way I don't lose sleep or interrupt my workin'. However, the temptation of new shiny game is going to wear on me like 12 grit sandpaper.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Tav‌
    Well depends what your budget is really. Central London can be a bit expensive, for reason of fleecing tourists

Cheap pubs: Weatherspoons and Samual Smith. They might have sub 10 pound pub f9d.
    Cheap Asian food is your best bet, you can find Indian, Vietnamese places around the outskirts of central that will charge under 10 for food and may allow byo.

Failing that, the student's friend is the supermarket sandwiches and bag of beer, then find a park.

@Kalkino‌

Thanks for that! I'm not sure what we're going to end up doing. We basically have about 7 hours to kill and very little money with which to do that, so we might just cinema/pub it up. Doubt we'll be up for sightseeing because we'll have our bags with a week's worth of clothing with us.

• Options
    edited May 2014

I purchased it, but I haven't started playing yet. I'll probably wait until the coming weekend to get my game on so that way I don't lose sleep or interrupt my workin'. However, the temptation of new shiny game is going to wear on me like 12 grit sandpaper.

Well, it is short, so you should definitely be able to finish it over the weekend if you aren't too busy!

...also, I really hope I didn't just over-hype it. I don't think I typically have good taste in video games. :P I'm pretty sure this one is genuinely good, though...

Neco on
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav‌
    Well depends what your budget is really. Central London can be a bit expensive, for reason of fleecing tourists

Cheap pubs: Weatherspoons and Samual Smith. They might have sub 10 pound pub f9d.
    Cheap Asian food is your best bet, you can find Indian, Vietnamese places around the outskirts of central that will charge under 10 for food and may allow byo.

Failing that, the student's friend is the supermarket sandwiches and bag of beer, then find a park.

@Kalkino‌

Thanks for that! I'm not sure what we're going to end up doing. We basically have about 7 hours to kill and very little money with which to do that, so we might just cinema/pub it up. Doubt we'll be up for sightseeing because we'll have our bags with a week's worth of clothing with us.

What area are you in?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Releasing the vidja on platforms I don't have should be unlawful.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan‌

I know I ask you this every couple of months but

$400 USD, hybrid bike

can get? too cheap?

@skippydumptruck‌

I'm no good with prices in the US, but a look around online suggests that with a bit of shopping around that is about enough money to get into entry level models from reputable manufacturers if they're on sale or past season clearance

You will get the most basic of base models, though

• Options
    Immigration threads are hard work.

You could have an interesting thread about the wider issues, about concrete policy or the like but I imagine it will fly off the handle at a moments notice

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    japan‌

$400 USD, hybrid bike

can get? too cheap?

@skippydumptruck‌

I'm no good with prices in the US, but a look around online suggests that with a bit of shopping around that is about enough money to get into entry level models from reputable manufacturers if they're on sale or past season clearance

japan, you have made many a post about bike.

What is the difference between a 400$ and mucho dollar prestige bike? What benefits will be realised? Do they have Bluetooth?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
  • Options
    jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    In the beginning there was humFrom a poet whose pulse feltDRUM DRUM DRUM!He would perform prayers and allill one day he heard a voice callCOME COME COME!Just because he moved it was his costJust because he thinks he was a little lost.People get held backBy the voice inside 'em.

• Options
    Immigration being a big political issue in the UK right now and possibly in the NZ election coming up

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    @evil multifarious http://www.thehowlingfantods.com/vitru3.html a bit shallow but i forgot how much i enjoyed linguistics

infinite jest spoilers

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    japan‌

$400 USD, hybrid bike

can get? too cheap?

@skippydumptruck‌

japan, you have made many a post about bike.

What is the difference between a 400$ and mucho dollar prestige bike? What benefits will be realised? Do they have Bluetooth?

The first big jump is between bikes meant as toys and bikes meant to be used. The former tend to be spectacularly heavy, everything goes out of adjustment very easily, and they need a lot of maintenance.

Thereafter you're mostly looking at weight, with diminishing returns as the price goes up. Particularly affects wheels, super light wheelsets that don't flex around under you are a revelation if you ride somewhere hilly.

The functionality of the groupset - the mechanical components of the bike - trivially low end groups generally have more gears meaning you're more likely to be able to find exactly the right gear at any given moment, but as you spend more you tend to find that shifting is slicker and easier to do under load. With low end groups you need to be a little careful about precisely how and when you shift, with higher end components you can just shift without having to think about it.

You also get into various aspects of ride feel: cheap frames and other components tend to be flexy where it woukd be better for them to be stiff, which is both inefficient and affects riding confidence at speed (the bike wanders rather than goes where it's pointed, steering feedback is vague). On the flipside they're often stiff where it would be better for them to be compliant, so transmit road buzz and shocks right into the bars and the saddle (which is incredibly tiring, especially through the bars).

Mountain bikes have varying levels of tech in suspension systems, either the design of the system itself or the shocks that it actuates. Etc.

• Options
    Listening to Michelle Branch full blast, so that she vibrates the walls, is confusing my neighbors.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Fixed gear bikes are called 死飞车,si fei che, or flying death cars.

I have two.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Holy shit even the cinemtics are bad in Watch Dogs.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav‌

@Kalkino‌

What area are you in?

The gig we're going to is in Brixton, but we're up for suggestions on what to do before that!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    jeffinva wrote: »
    Holy shit even the cinemtics are bad in Watch Dogs.

In what way? (not asking defensively, don't have it, not interested)

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Cinemtics sounds like a piece of Shadowrun slang.

• Options
    A good example is handlebars:

Generally, the bars support a third to a half of your weight (depending on how racy the design of the bike is). They're also used as a lever when climbing or sprinting out of the saddle.

t the low end you get bars that are basically bent tubes of hi-tensile steel. They're cheap, but heavy, not very stiff, and very "dead" in terms of ride feel. You get a lot of vibration through them but not a lot of feedback about what the front wheel is doing. If you're up out of the saddle or cornering hard you'll get flex through the front end of the bike that will limit how hard you can lean on the front wheel.

As you go up the scale, you get basic aluminium bars which are considerably lighter and stiffer, but still very harsh and tiring in terms of transmitted vibration.

Spend a bit more and you get bars made of butted aluminium: the wall thickness of the tube is varied to retain the stiffness, reduce the weight further, and tune the response of the bar to vibration. You get a light, stiff, bar that gives you useful feedback about the front wheel's contact wi
    Spend more still and you get good carbon fibre bars. It turns out that carbon fibre is really good at this of reaitrick

• Options
    That post got mauled by the mobile Chrome/drafts bug but you get the idea

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't know what the appropriate reaction button is, but thank you very much for sating my curiosity japan.

Apothe0sis on
This discussion has been closed.