[League of Legends] Our Final Boss is not the biggest bad

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Um. Vel Koz support is ridiculous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    Apparently Hurricane is on Graves' recommended items.

Very funny, riot.
    It'll give him one hundred percent uptime on quickdraw, or at least very near. Who needs to do damage when you can pew pew pew faster than the eye can see.

butts
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    in my limited experience laning against Gnar

mages be good against him

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Why Zyra instead of a 5th that can also jump on people over walls?

The team certainly has more jumps than Mario but Zyra is important for a different purpose: jungle control, wave clear, siege / point holding power, and depending on build she also 100-0s a target / gets fat and holds a point against several people if she has to. The other 4 are great at pushing/sneaking into enemy space, but Zyra claims that space. Trying to push past Zyra with seeds and ult in the low vision environment of Dominion jungle results in casualties.

The team has it all. CC, large amounts of both physical and magical damage, mobility, wave clear, jungle control, variety in builds that includes an AP tank and AD tank, and all 5 of them are also solid bottom laners so you can rotate whoever the hell you want to hold it.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    2 games off promos again.

The main thing that determines if you will win a game in Bronze 5 is whether your team has fewer shitlords on it than their team.

The main thing that you control in Bronze 5 is whether or not YOU'RE the shitlord.

-King of the Bronze.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    i-6kNfxwx-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It's such a tired thing to say, but it's still true, wherever you are, you will be there until you shouldn't be there any more. There's nothing wrong with being in bronze, but if you're stuck there, it's because that's how good you are at the game.

I'm only a mid gold player, and I would have a 10+ KDA and win 90% of games at bronze 5 ELO. I've never even played that low, but even now any time I'm against low silver players in normal games in premades with wonky matchmaking or whatever, it's crazy how easy I win lanes and games.

Same goes for me against a diamond player. I'll get annihilated and barely be able to identify the mistakes/decisions I was making that they use to crush me.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    It's such a tired thing to say, but it's still true, wherever you are, you will be there until you shouldn't be there any more. There's nothing wrong with being in bronze, but if you're stuck there, it's because that's how good you are at the game.

I'm only a mid gold player, and I would have a 10+ KDA and win 90% of games at bronze 5 ELO. I've never even played that low, but even now any time I'm against low silver players in normal games in premades with wonky matchmaking or whatever, it's crazy how easy I win lanes and games.

Same goes for me against a diamond player. I'll get annihilated and barely be able to identify the mistakes/decisions I was making that they use to crush me.

That's really only true on a macro scale.

On a game by game basis there are absolutely bronze games that a silver level player couldn't carry for whatever reason (usually dumb team comps). Plus there's a decent number of skills in this game that aren't going to hard carry every match. Support mains usually aren't put into a position where they can single handedly carry for example.

• Options
    That's why I said "If you're stuck there."

If you lose 2 games where you had a good KDA and won lane but your team still lost, maybe there was nothing you could do. But if you play 100 games in Bronze and you're still in Bronze, that's just how good you are at the game. It's just how the system works.

I also disagree about support mains. If a support is so much better than their opponent at controlling vision, understanding trades, when to all in in certain matchups, etc., they will win bot lane for their team single handedly nearly every game. And that will result in more wins than losses.

• Options
    Headhunter Caitlyn is back on the PBE

Caitlyn_Splash_6.jpg

1.jpg

The helmet still looks awful but hey maybe when there is a VU...

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I also disagree about support mains. If a support is so much better than their opponent at controlling vision, understanding trades, when to all in in certain matchups, etc., they will win bot lane for their team single handedly nearly every game. And that will result in more wins than losses.

Depends on what support you're playing. Nami and Sona can't carry bronze games, Morg and Zyra can.

Teams don't take advantage of vision at that skill level so you need to bring late game damage.

Burnage on
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    my favorite part of support velkoz is when their jungler tries to blue and you're the bottom team and you just wiggle on up there and poke them forever

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Depends on what support you're playing. Nami and Sona can't carry bronze games, Morg and Zyra can.

Teams don't take advantage of vision at that skill level so you need to bring late game damage.

Nami and Sona can most definitely carry bronze games. You don't have to carry with damage. You carry with CC that wins team fights. In bronze people will just stack up to get hit by like a 3 man nami bubble or a 4 man sona ult or whatever. Plus, both those champs can easily win their bot lane if they're a better player than their lane opponents, which is what we're discussing. CC is huge at all elos, but especially low elo. It's the same reason Amumu is a god king in bronze.

• Options
    You don't have to carry with damage.

It was my experience in bronze that you absolutely do. Relying on the rest of your team to follow up on CC is incredibly unreliable, as is relying on your AD carry to press a lane advantage.

Amumu is capable of throwing out far more damage than either Nami or Sona so the comparison between them isn't perfect.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Why am I seeing all these Alistars top? Also, why is he building triforce?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options

It was my experience in bronze that you absolutely do. Relying on the rest of your team to follow up on CC is incredibly unreliable, as is relying on your AD carry to press a lane advantage.

Amumu is capable of throwing out far more damage than either Nami or Sona so the comparison between them isn't perfect.

I was never bronze, but in silver I won a ton of games carrying as support, just because if you're better than your lane opponent you dominate the 2v2, you never die to ganks because their jungler is wildly predictable and your wards are too good, and then late game you ward the enemy jungle and your team gets free picks, and you win team fights because you CC the right targets, etc.

It's not as simple a metric as going "I carried with my pentakill" but it's easily there. I would argue that if someone mains support and gets genuinely good with it, it's insanely easy to get to at least gold because good supports who main it are rare as hell until you get to gold at least.

He got some minor buffs and people realized that Alistar top can be very strong. With triforce he does great damage, with statikk shiv he clears waves like a boss, then you just build tank. Also, as soon as you get a sheen(first item) you can outtrade a ton of people by just headbutting them and AAing them right as the headbutt lands. You get a sheen procced AA plus the headbutt damage. Especially squishy champs can't handle it at all. They can't even retaliate because they're knocked back after the damage lands.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular

Because Triforce+Shiv Alistar is an unholy godcow of CC, wave clear, damage and (when his ult is up) unkillability.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Kay wrote: »

Because Triforce+Shiv Alistar is an unholy godcow of CC, wave clear, damage and (when his ult is up) unkillability.

Its so funny when Ali Man cow goes into a team fight ult blazing going berserk. Then suddenly it ends and everyone gets a hamburger. People are lower levels of play do not play around the Ult duration very well.

Edit: Also watch the European LCS games right now, they are crazy good.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Korea started doing Triforce into tank. Someone in the EU LCS (Roccat's top laner?) did Triforce->Shiv->tank. It's actually not all that bad as sheen is a great item on him and he gets good burst out of his combos.

butts
  • Options
    DHxOjiG.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    My fucking God.

butts
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Alistar is a champion that i always want to get work, but i can never land the combo and am just generally terrible with him.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options

I was never bronze, but in silver I won a ton of games carrying as support, just because if you're better than your lane opponent you dominate the 2v2, you never die to ganks because their jungler is wildly predictable and your wards are too good, and then late game you ward the enemy jungle and your team gets free picks, and you win team fights because you CC the right targets, etc.

It's not as simple a metric as going "I carried with my pentakill" but it's easily there. I would argue that if someone mains support and gets genuinely good with it, it's insanely easy to get to at least gold because good supports who main it are rare as hell until you get to gold at least.

Bronze is a bit of a different beast than Silver. You can dominate the 2v2, but your marksman might either not last hit well enough to benefit from that or tower dive unnecessarily and nullify the advantage you create. You can keep wards up in perfect positions, but your marksman may be so tunneled in on trying to last hit that they ignore the mini-map and your pings. Late game, your team might not bother trying to create picks or even pushing lanes. If you land your CC perfectly there's a really good chance that they won't react at all.

I wasn't there for long, but I found these situations incredibly common in Bronze and that's why I advocate harder scaling, more "selfish" supports if you want to carry from the support position there. You can still support your team as Zyra (or Karma, or Morg, or Lux, or...) but you can also very easily become your team's main damage threat.

• Options
    ...that's an unofficial custom skin, right? Not an official one?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Alistar is a champion that i always want to get work, but i can never land the combo and am just generally terrible with him.
    You eventually just figure it out. Hit Q the moment you notice Alistar's headbutting and you'll be good most of the time. It is actually possible to hit Q so early that he actually hits the pulverize first and then headbutts them out. After that cow slap to your heart's content.

butts
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sona actually scales really well, but only if the teaIs there. Basically her ratios scale with nearby teammates.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

It's just a mock-up made to look like a typical Riot preview.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »

It's just a mock-up made to look like a typical Riot preview.
    A second closer look sorta cemented that for me.

Yeah, if Riot were going to do a Thresh Prince skin, they'd do it some way other than pasting clothes over the existing model.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular

He got some minor buffs and people realized that Alistar top can be very strong. With triforce he does great damage, with statikk shiv he clears waves like a boss, then you just build tank. Also, as soon as you get a sheen(first item) you can outtrade a ton of people by just headbutting them and AAing them right as the headbutt lands. You get a sheen procced AA plus the headbutt damage. Especially squishy champs can't handle it at all. They can't even retaliate because they're knocked back after the damage lands.

Not so minor buffs- significant mana cost reductions on Q/W. The most important one is that his ult is now a flat 70% damage reduction at all ranks. This lets him dive right in teamfights even at level 6.

• Options
    Which is funny since they previously specifically nerfed the damage reduction at lower levels to reduce his diving power.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Just me or did the Euw servers just die?

Edit was just a ddos in a aram.....how sad you gotta be to do that....

LilleDjevel on
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options

See also Soraka.

Though really even I feel like I'm letting my team down picking Soraka these days.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Yeah, the alistar ult change was huge. Going from 50% reduction to 70% reduction at lvl 6 nearly doubles your ehp when ult is up compared to before.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Just at the pick ban/phase for game 2
    SK Gaming just lost, with two stupid bans and a terrible FP giving up Maokai

Wow, I was wrong. Apologies SK Fans

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speaking of EUW, if anyone fancies forming a team so that we can try to push for the Gold rewards as a group then just give me a shout.

We tried last year but didn't really get anywhere with it.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So, I've noticed the biggest problem with picking Ezreal.

Supports don't know what Ezreal is.

Or I've just had a range of supports that think their job is "Eat the engage and hope my ADC can kill their ADC before I die"

Though I will say, with BoRK taking BTs slot as the "Sustain, damage, all-around greatness" item, Ezreal once he gets 2 items hits like a goddamn mack truck.

I have had so many kills where I just run away spamming Qs and chunking for most of their health, having a jungler finally get there, and engaging and killing.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    With all the Vi games, had to check: Nope, Udyr is still a monster

NPEXzYB.jpg

Well, okay, this game Quinn decided to harass out Wu at his level 1 blue start so he was super behind, then I went top and got her the kill up there on Shyvana to make up for the lost experience

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    The top swain pick in the EU playoffs!

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Speaking of EUW, if anyone fancies forming a team so that we can try to push for the Gold rewards as a group then just give me a shout.

We tried last year but didn't really get anywhere with it.

I'd be up for doing it again if we can get a group together.

This discussion has been closed.