As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Holy cow this 2K sale is the real deal

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    We're playing now! Planetside 2, Emerald Server, Vanu Faction, friend Corr to get an invite in. :)

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, @CorriganX‌ - if you could drop your squad, I could add you to the ~10 person platoon I've got going and we can all group up.

• Options
    Everyone else - there's a chat bar in the top left. Switch that over to "Outfit" - also, if you're automatically put in a squad when you log in, drop that squad (from the s"O"cial panel) and ping me so I can invite you to the big group.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    :D

• Options
    @CorriganX Can you hear anything I'm saying or see anything I'm typing in-game?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    When I was a kid I always wanted an Alienware PC. I remember back around the year 2000, before they started cramming hideous LEDs and "AlienFX" into every system, before they started grossly overcharging for what they were offering, before the Dell buyout... back when they were still just a small boutique high end PC manufacturer that gave a damn and pumped out killer systems.

I used to check out their website, configure different machines, check out all of the color options, price things, but I could never get one, because I was broke. I mean, I'm still broke, but back then it wasn't my fault. The color I loved the most was the blue one, I believe the model was called "Aurora". It was this one here:

aENZbnY.jpg

I mean look at that shit! It's so powerful the case needs a hole in side so a fan can pull in cool air to keep it from overheating. You could get a system with an Athlon or a Pentium 3, CPUs that were pushing 1GHz. One thousand megahertz! That blew my fifteen year old mind. I wanted one so badly. I wanted one more than anything. It was my Eleanor.

Anyway,
    AZIdYjx.jpg

It took me fourteen years, but I got one.
    EaJxouM.jpg

A 3.5" floppy drive and COA for Windows XP, plus a DVD-ROM drive aaand CD-Burner round out the front, because drives with lasers that could read DVDs and burn CDs cost $Texas at the time.
    2WLbYzC.jpg

Gaze upon the Athlon XP clocked at an obscene 1.5GHz! Marvel at the ludicrously spacious 1GB of RAM! Stand in awe of the mighty juggernaut that is the nVidia GeForce 4! All of this is clamped to an 80GB hard drive with a broken Windows install that I'll fix later, and juiced by a 420w PSU made by Chieftec, better known as the company that made the "Dragon" case that Alienware based theirs off of. Molex. IDE. AGP. Long forgotten standards from a time before time. And to think, I got it in exchange for an extra Sega Dreamcast I had in my closet.

Dreams do come true, people.

So why is this in the Steam thread? Mainly because I'm going to pull the system, give the case a through cleaning, and drop in my old Core 2 Quad hardware. This machine will eventually be a streaming machine/Hammer rendering system, but more importantly will also be able to pull double duty as a game server, so whenever we want to play Insurgency without having to deal with shitty randoms who complain about smoke grenades it'll be possible. Or if we ever want to play HL2DM with maps that we choose it'll be possible. Or if my other dream comes true and we ever get a PA Quake III multiplayer game night going we'll have a guaranteed server available.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    @Smokestacks That machine is pretty impressive, I bet it could play Unreal Tournament on maxed settings, 1280x1024 even.

I think I am going to call it quits on Planetside for tonight, its just not the game for me. And I was actually doing well at it, but even when I did well I just wasn't enjoying it as much as other shooters, can't really figure out why.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Jeix wrote: »
    Smokestacks That machine is pretty impressive, I bet it could play Unreal Tournament on maxed settings, 1280x1024 even.

I think I am going to call it quits on Planetside for tonight, its just not the game for me. And I was actually doing well at it, but even when I did well I just wasn't enjoying it as much as other shooters, can't really figure out why.

I dropped out too - I really disliked it. I had no idea what was going on, my voicechat wasn't working and overall it wasn't anything I'd play again. Oh well, at least I drank :)

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm so very excited! Today I got a package from @Pixelated Pixie and @Lindsay Lohan. They sent me a their old mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU so I can finally get around to building a desktop! I've been dying to build a PC for years and this is the perfect way to start! Thank you so much, you guys!

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Whelp. I had fun with Planetside, but goddamn. It crashed the shit out of my vid card repeatedly. Dont know what it was but it kept flashing to a black screen then back. It was pretty annoying. I think im done too, an hour of fun, but blegh. Need to figure out what was up with my vid card.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Huzzah! Just got the final character unlock in Dungeon of the Endless :smiley: Came this close to unlocking the armoury as well, but by Stage 9 a discovered hero that wasn't recruited in an unpowered room lasted less than a second, so that kinda sucked. Should've just found a way to power the room then booked it to the exit.

Stage 10 (final) was an absolute joke as well - hands down the easiest stage I've played in 40+ hours. 5 rooms up, all powered, exit. BOOM, we're outta here :smile: Score of over 10,000 too, which I believe is a new high score for me

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    It seems @cardboard delusions reverse-pickpocketed Thief Gold into my inventory while I was out and about. Thank you!

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    I'm so very excited! Today I got a package from @Pixelated Pixie and @Lindsay Lohan. They sent me a their old mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU so I can finally get around to building a desktop! I've been dying to build a PC for years and this is the perfect way to start! Thank you so much, you guys!

See, this is the shit I've been missing for the last couple months. You people are the bestest, never lower your awesomeness levels. They seem to be stuck on 11...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I didn't get a chance to play PS2 before today so I Googled a tutorial this afternoon. It really didn't help much. Granted my online playing experience is mostly limited to a few hours of early TF2, a bit of Counter-Strike (Xbox) back in the day, and some Mass Effect 3, so I'm not exactly an expert on such matters.

I must admit that I was rather confused at the start. Eventually, I figured out that green meant PA friends so I followed them and healed when they were injured. When they died, I stood over their bodies until the same person killed me as well. There was a period where we were fighting in some snow covered wasteland (I'm assuming it was set in Winnipeg) and I healed a great number of people on our side of the snowbank. Apparently we did rather well at push-off-the-hill because Planetside 2 seemed to be quite pleased with us.

After that, Elevenshae took us for a ride in a fancy helicopter and I fell into a swamp when we arrived. It took me some time to find a way out of the swamp. The game said there was some sort of enemy or objective nearby, but that must have been a mistake. I sat on a tank that tried to navigate staircases for about five or ten minutes then hopped off and inspected troops that seemed to be well prepared for any potential future invasion. Good chaps indeed.

I'm not entirely sure how I helped with the cause or what the cause was exactly, but I did help with it. Somewhat.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Yeah, good times in PS2, folks. I gotta let my brain take a break from that insanity for a few minutes though. I might get back on later though if anyone is still going at it by then.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I close my eyes and I see y-wings firing proton torpedos.

• Options
    Hey, y'all - that was a great time. Sorry I had to log off a bit early!

Also sorry to the Corrigan crew - we were asking you in chat and over voice if you could hear us, but apparently you couldn't for some reason. Anyway, after trying to get everyone together, we ended up settling for our group of ... 12? ... ish?

We held off an assault on a Biolab for a bit on Esamir (which looks, as @an_alt‌ mentioned) like Winnipeg in spring, to give people a chance to learn the basics. Then, once everyone had done that for a bit, I decided to show off a bit more of an open field fight, and we pushed south out of the Biolab to the satellite base the attackers were using to assult the Biolab.

The Cult of Arcadia proceeded to kick some absolute ass in a long, drawn-out, massive engagement and we succeeded in taking the base! We killed tanks, Sunderers, aircraft - you name it, we blew it up. And then - sweet victory! The Biolab was, for the moment, safe!

We then held off the next two counterattacks before an absolutely overwhelming force of enemies came in and pushed us out. Instead of staying around for the camping phase of the fight, we decamped to Hossin, the new swamp planet.

I pulled a Snorlax, and we all hopped in and started taking bases. Unfortunately, we got a bit bogged down (hah hah!) and our advance stalled against a really stalwart TR defense.

And, unfortunately, that's when I had to log off for the evening.

Next time PS2 comes up in the rotation, we should try for some Indar aircraft battles or some Amerish tank battles.

Thanks again, everyone, and sorry for those of you who didn't have fun, but I'm glad most everyone on our side seemed to be having a good time!

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    @SmokeStacks‌ I remember doing a custom build on the Alienware website back around 2000-2001 with the best stuff possible just to see what it came out to. I think it was like $13,000. I always thought their styling was cool, but just could never justify the price. That's awesome on getting the case, though. I wonder if there are any Falcon Northwest cases in the wild....

I had great fun playing PS2 tonight with everyone! My new Creative RAAAAAAGE headset sounds awesome and I assume the mic worked okay. I'm just not much of a twitch player, though I did seem to do pretty decently tonight, at least compared to when I played it regularly at release. Sniping seemed to be my groove and I was actually having 1000+ xp sessions. I'd love to play it some more, but it's tough with 2 young kids that go to bed about the same time I do. I'll have to see what I can swing in the near future. I should probably look at spending some of that 3k SC I've got sitting in my account.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It sounded fun. It's really my fault I couldn't get into it, I totally meant to try it early in the week and get a grip on how to play but never got around to it. Combined with my horrible sense of direction in fps games it was a recipe for disaster...I get lost so easily in games like this.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Steam thread seemed the best place to discuss it, so...

Got the Bureau since it's only 4 bucks, and it was the only XCOM game other than the email one that I hadn't played. I mean, I beat Enforcer. Twice. Even if it sucked, for four bucks it can't be too bad.

So far, it's mildly interesting. Characters aren't great, but I like the art design, and the mechanics are... alright. Still, it's not living up to my expectations from past experience.

The squad just isn't as good as Sev, Fixer, and Scorch.

Republic Commando, the squad felt like badass, well, commandos. You were team leader, but if left to their own devices Delta still got shit done. If someone went down, it felt like my fault. And if I went down, I felt like I could usually count on the team to pull through and regroup until they had an opening. Game was hard, and you had to use tactics and planning at times, but I never cursed the AI.

Meanwhile, here it feels like if you turn your back on these jokers for thirty seconds, they're going to be bleeding on the ground.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Steam thread seemed the best place to discuss it, so...

Got the Bureau since it's only 4 bucks, and it was the only XCOM game other than the email one that I hadn't played. I mean, I beat Enforcer. Twice. Even if it sucked, for four bucks it can't be too bad.

So far, it's mildly interesting. Characters aren't great, but I like the art design, and the mechanics are... alright. Still, it's not living up to my expectations from past experience.

The squad just isn't as good as Sev, Fixer, and Scorch.

Republic Commando, the squad felt like badass, well, commandos. You were team leader, but if left to their own devices Delta still got shit done. If someone went down, it felt like my fault. And if I went down, I felt like I could usually count on the team to pull through and regroup until they had an opening. Game was hard, and you had to use tactics and planning at times, but I never cursed the AI.

Meanwhile, here it feels like if you turn your back on these jokers for thirty seconds, they're going to be bleeding on the ground.

Dammit! Now I'm sad we won't get a......wait...Disney..... perhaps.....maybe hope?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Damn, couldn't get in any earlier on the PS2 fun. Managed to mingle around and tried to support (some sort of) the effort of war by healing/reviving.

Still, was some fun around. Shame I got no chance to fly around an ol' Gal.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Got about an hour and a half of Dishonored under my belt and not really feeling it so far. It's got some cool stuff, but so far it's not particularly engaging.
    Trying to decide if I want to give it more time on the free weekend to see if it hooks me, or just call it a day.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Crossed Alpha Protocol of the list this evening. Despite some buggy and awkward bits here and there, it was really impressive and thoroughly enjoyable. Now I get to be sad there isn't and probably won't ever be a sequel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Got about an hour and a half of Dishonored under my belt and not really feeling it so far. It's got some cool stuff, but so far it's not particularly engaging.
    Trying to decide if I want to give it more time on the free weekend to see if it hooks me, or just call it a day.

It's one of the best games I've played, so I'd recommend giving it a bit more of a go. Where are you? Prison? The first assassination mission?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Since it's a stealth game that I'm actually kinda trying to play as a stealth game, Dishonored is taking me forever.

I mean, I'm probably getting the bad ending because I'm killing everyone and letting rats eat their bodies or turning them into ashes or whatever, but I'm doing it stealthily

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I loved Dishonored. What part isn't clicking? If you're finding it frustrating trying to go non-lethal, I'd recommend just ignore that and feel free to kill people whenever spotted. The "good" ending isn't worth the trouble, whereas the "bad" ending makes the final level awesome.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Crossed Alpha Protocol of the list this evening. Despite some buggy and awkward bits here and there, it was really impressive and thoroughly enjoyable. Now I get to be sad there isn't and probably won't ever be a sequel.

Well, you can beat it again. After all, you missed something important.
    Yeah, I loved Dishonored. What part isn't clicking? If you're finding it frustrating trying to go non-lethal, I'd recommend just ignore that and feel free to kill people whenever spotted. The "good" ending isn't worth the trouble, whereas the "bad" ending makes the final level awesome.

There's three main endings anyway, with some minor variation. The BAD ending is bad, but the middle ending's perfectly alright, and you can get that one no matter how big a corpse pile you leave in your wake.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular

Did you get the Blink ability yet? I would play at least until you get it and get to try it a bit. I liked the game from the start, but once I got blink I just loved it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »

Did you get the Blink ability yet? I would play at least until you get it and get to try it a bit. I liked the game from the start, but once I got blink I just loved it.
    For me, it's one of those occasional FPSes that just feels a whole lot better with a controller than KBAM. There's a combination of the acceleration, mouse movement, the way you move, and the menus that just makes for a better experience with a controller.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Some of those Dishonored DLC achievements were a bitch-and-a-half to get.

Assassin's run with 100% accuracy AND nothing but headshots?

RT800 on
  • Options
    How bad is the plot in the newest hitman?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    How bad is the plot in the newest hitman?

Plot is... completely forgettable. Mostly because I can't even remember what the heck it was about. It's just an excuse to put you in different locales, and even though it's trying to be involving, it utterly fails because of the things it attempts.

Even that is excusable if there even was a decent game underneath, but don't get me started on that...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    I'm trying Mark of the Ninja for the first time. It's real good. Like you didn't know.

Easily one of the best stealth games. It's the 2D Batman game we always wanted.
    I mean, really. Who, as a child, got really excited that there were Batman video games, and then was disappointed when they all looked like this?

37886-Adventures_of_Batman_&_Robin,_The_%28USA%29-3.png

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    I'm trying Mark of the Ninja for the first time. It's real good. Like you didn't know.

I mean, really. Who, as a child, got really excited that there were Batman video games, and then was disappointed when they all looked like this?

Yeah, it's excellent.
    And, against all odds and expectations, it has a good plot!

You just don't realize it until the game's almost over.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

Well, pretty excited I guess since that Batman and Robin game on Genesis was pretty baller (albeit hard as fuck).

Zxerol on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Yeah, it's excellent.
    And, against all odds and expectations, it has a good plot!

You just don't realize it until the game's almost over.
    Yeah, the plot is quite the mind-screw... and I do love a well-done "nobody's innocent" setup.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Gbc4KKuFGctr5CeM Terraria

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=ZVSN6pdVWkUDVwUt Gal Civ 2 Ultimate Edition Extreme Arcade Edition Turbo 2014 Hyper Impact Duo Dessim 3/14rd

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.