Options

[minecraft] Terrible graphics, terrible OP, awesome game

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I would totally sell out every principle I have for $2 billion. That's like "yacht made out of Bugattis" money. I'm curious to see if that much would "make sense" for Notch.

Fuck yeah, me too. Maybe he won't though because he's already pretty much set for life from Minecraft sales so what does a few more zeros in his bank account matter?

3 supermodel girlfriends as opposed to just 2. But yeah, depends on the person I guess. It's not like he's been rolling out the hits since Minecraft (though Cliffhorse was pretty awesome), but he might just still be a dude that just wants to make games and have pizza money.

I think at this point the dude can not do a single successful venture and still be set for both 'dick around development' money and pizza money.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Takel wrote: »
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Uh, ok, crap. Right. Looks like I'm going to get up to date with the latest in modded Minecraft politics and figure out how all this rubbish affects the server I'm trying to build.

Shouldn't affect it at all I don't think? Especially if you start with an existing pack (I'd recommend building from bevo's mini pack)

The server runs on Spigot, which is derived from Bukkit so it contains the contested code. Never mind the original shaky ground that Bukkit itself was sitting on... Anyhow, the situation is a lot easier than I expected. The takedown prevents any distribution of the code, but they're using the old workaround, and that's distributing deltas to patch a binary to whatever.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Radiation wrote: »
    I would totally sell out every principle I have for $2 billion. That's like "yacht made out of Bugattis" money. I'm curious to see if that much would "make sense" for Notch.

Fuck yeah, me too. Maybe he won't though because he's already pretty much set for life from Minecraft sales so what does a few more zeros in his bank account matter?

3 supermodel girlfriends as opposed to just 2. But yeah, depends on the person I guess. It's not like he's been rolling out the hits since Minecraft (though Cliffhorse was pretty awesome), but he might just still be a dude that just wants to make games and have pizza money.

I think at this point the dude can not do a single successful venture and still be set for both 'dick around development' money and pizza money.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. As long as he doesn't do something insane like buy an island and 30 helicopters, he shouldn't ever need to work or do a thing for the rest of his life. He'll be free to putz around, code a few things, eat pizza, hang out, and continue making fat stacks off of Minecraft. Speaking of, so many copies have sold that I'm surprised there's anyone out there that doesn't have it already.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I would love for that to be the case. Then I could suggest minecraft as the next Friday Night Game Night game (even though it isn't on steam...though it really should be).
    @CorriganX‌

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Wait, does that mean @Takel is officially constructing the 1.7 pack since he had to read up on the bukkit issues to build the pack? :smiley:

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    So Minecraft is more valuable than a not-inconsiderable number of sovereign economies? Gosh. Not bad for a bedroom coder?

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular

You could also buy a virgina-class submarine or match the tax break for the five biggest oil companies, or maybe match all the 2008 presidential contributions.

In other news: I love the "dictionary of number" chrome plug-in....

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. As long as he doesn't do something insane like buy an island and 30 helicopters, he shouldn't ever need to work or do a thing for the rest of his life. He'll be free to putz around, code a few things, eat pizza, hang out, and continue making fat stacks off of Minecraft. Speaking of, so many copies have sold that I'm surprised there's anyone out there that doesn't have it already.

I think it was Rolling Stone magazine that I read an article/interview in with Notch. I don't have a link to it but basically he was talking about already making more money faster than he could ever spend it, even just in interest.

Edit: Ah here it is - http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-wizard-of-minecraft-20140507
    Persson says the apartment isn't practical. The flatscreen TV in the gaming loft is built right over the elevator shaft, so those riding the elevator can hear the blast of guns and explosions. Nobody has complained, but once Persson discovered this, he stopped using it – "because I'm very Swedish, and I didn't want to upset my neighbors." ("There's a classic Swedish social fixture called Jantelagen," says developer Martin Jonasson, "which means you're not supposed to flaunt your success. It's a little bit rude to be making that much money.") Persson is moving to another penthouse, one still being built. When it's finished, he says, it will be the most expensive, per square meter, in Stockholm.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Morran wrote: »

You could also buy a virgina-class submarine or match the tax break for the five biggest oil companies, or maybe match all the 2008 presidential contributions.

In other news: I love the "dictionary of number" chrome plug-in....

What about a submarine made out of Bugattis?

• Options
    If we are doing a city build I will build this for someone:
    http://weburbanist.com/2013/05/21/earthscraper-inverted-pyramid-spans-1000-vertical-feet/

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    That is a beautiful design and is surprisingly appropriate for how Minecraft handles chunks and render distance.
    You'll have to build a smaller version, though, since 1000 feet down equals 305 blocks.

Some additional pictures and numbers.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not saying full size scale, just build with that design in mind. I think if we were to group up into a city type area and give people a 4x4 chunk area to build in, this would look rad. Actually I may just build up my area and do different things. If there is a building you like you can move in at some point.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    And given that the average sea level is 64 blocks up, yeah, that's not going to happen at even half scale.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    And given that the average sea level is 64 blocks up, yeah, that's not going to happen at even half scale.
    I just did a quick mock-up (using /cofh clearblocks) at 100 blocks deep and 80x80 blocks at the top (5x5 chunks). Looks great, but you'd need to find a large enough mountainy biome to build it that size.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Oh, I was just kind of going to run with making an average floor space set up (where I usually use 5 blocks between floor and ceiling and a 3 block spacer between ceiling and floor, and use the picture just for general inspiration. I'm not suggesting we build exactly that thing at scale, but use it as a launch point.
    To get it to fit in, you could play with a few ideas, like chopping off bottom levels or changing the angle of the pyramid.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I wish extra utilities had an interface like logisticspipes that could let you order things from your extra utilities storage network to a chest on command.

I want to do something other than ME for once, but ME consistently comes out on top because you can access everything easily via a central point.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    My vote for the next map is to disable Mystcraft, and create an alternative transportation system instead. Preferably one using rail.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    I wish extra utilities had an interface like logisticspipes that could let you order things from your extra utilities storage network to a chest on command.

I want to do something other than ME for once, but ME consistently comes out on top because you can access everything easily via a central point.
    You could possibly set something up using Rationing and Hyper-Rationing Pipes, combined with filters and some redstone.

• Options
    Flaxbeard's Steam Power has a steam cannon that can be used to deliever items to another player from across the map, so long as you saved the location into an astrolabe.

Imagine sending redstone and quartz to someone 4000 blocks away via cannon!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Flaxbeard's Steam Power has a steam cannon that can be used to deliever items to another player from across the map, so long as you saved the location into an astrolabe.

Imagine sending redstone and quartz to someone 4000 blocks away via cannon!

I kind of want to do this in a canyon/mesa biome.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ...I want to automate a Flaxbeard Cannon to drown someones base in billions of cobble.

• Options
    Does it just send the stack of the item (like you dropped it from inventory) or does it place the block in the world?

• Options
    pretty sure its just like it was dropped as not everything can be placed.

• Options

This is fantastic. We could map spawn and make it rain supplies on new players.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

This is fantastic. We could map spawn and make it rain supplies on new players.

This is amazing and we should absolutely do it. Alternately rig it to be able to fire someone to greet them

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    It should fire it like a mass driver and have the items smash into the ground at the target like a meteor :P

• Options
    So, it looks like SE is starting a vanilla server.
    I know we tried a little bit to cross over server populations, but I think a more concerted effort would be kind of fun, and would revitalize life on either server. I don't know why I don't follow that thread as well more consistently.

• Options
    Ugh, Engineer's Toolbox is a pain in the rear to learn. But I really, really want to learn how to make Deadly Neurotoxin...

• Options
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Ugh, Engineer's Toolbox is a pain in the rear to learn. But I really, really want to learn how to make Deadly Neurotoxin...

Yeah its one thing I've tend to avoided, it seems very complicated, but also very powerful.

• Options
    Welp, it looks like I now need a gas mask to enter my home. Thanks Gascraft!

• Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    Gascraft == Taco Bell??

• Options
    So despite it being on every server since forever ago I've only now just started playing with Thaumcraft and i'm enjoying playing around with a new mod. Also bluh starting a new world with no resources makes progress slow.

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Is there a way to automate gathering algae? And how do you make super algae?

• Options
    Is there a way to automate gathering algae? And how do you make super algae?

3x3 pool of water with terrain smashers along the sides, with algae planted in the middle? As it spreads from the middle it gets harvested and dumped into an chest/pipe/etc.

• Options
    Hm...that sounds like it could work. I found out how to make super algae (nutrient water).

Supposedly there is a way to make a self-sufficient power source using photobioreactors and algae. Now the challenge is going to be to make it without blowing up my house (Hydrogen gas is explosive when it comes into contact with fire or torches). I already have clouds of smoke drifting around my ceilings, and the only way to get rid of it is to drill lots of shafts into the top of my hill-home.

• Options
    Hm...that sounds like it could work. I found out how to make super algae (nutrient water).

Supposedly there is a way to make a self-sufficient power source using photobioreactors and algae. Now the challenge is going to be to make it without blowing up my house (Hydrogen gas is explosive when it comes into contact with fire or torches). I already have clouds of smoke drifting around my ceilings, and the only way to get rid of it is to drill lots of shafts into the top of my hill-home.

Just remember.

Its not toxic smog, its progress!

• Options
    I kind of wanted to make a zone that was all toxic smog, but then I realized I'd have to cut off the sunlight with clear glass. So I think my alternative is going to be something like Peoria, with toxic smog drifting up from holes in the ground.

• Options
    edited September 2014

Are we playing minecraft or Anno 2070 here

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    Has anyone come across any shale/natural gas blocks in their travels? I'm currently doing some underground strip mining for the express purpose of finding one of these things. I get that, and I can start making Toxic Gas and Corrosive Gas. I just wish there was an easier way to deploy it into the environment; the only means so far I've found of deploying gas blocks is by using a Chimney. It would also be nice to find something I can use to get rid of all these Smoke blocks cluttering my ceilings.

• Options
    Check for people who've done quarrying. I seem to remember stumbling across a few

IZF2byN.jpg