Options

[chat]sploitation

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    One time when I was young my dog ran into the road and got hit by a car and they sued my parents because it cracked their bumper.

After reading this, the first thing my brain did was wonder if I could hook up a dog whistle to my car and then trawl the streets looking for unleashed dogs to lure into the street so I could sue the owners and if such a thing would be profitable.

I'm fairly certain I'm a monster.

http://youtu.be/zft_-co3uGY

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    holy christ I hate the UI changes in Office 2013.

but now it makes it look like it would on your phone

where no sane person would attempt to use a word processing program

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    guys who even cares nothing matters anymore

three-boob chick was a hoax

(mildly NSFW pic in article behind link)

"Sorry, dudes: It appears your Total Recall sex fantasies have been temporarily sidelined."

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Sazerac design doesn't have a sugar cube block in it!

Be consistent pls

it did but it dissolved before they finished the drawing

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    I've been to many stores where I've been asked to show a receipt when I'm leaving. Hell, I've been a receipt checker a few times. This was in the 90s so its not a new practice. If you have a store that is literally hundreds of thousands of square feet, with hundreds of customers its not practical to visually see if someone has paid for their stuff. So they have someone check your receipt for like 15 seconds and then let you proceed.

By the quoted story, the employee grabbed the cart. Even if you don't believe the store can stop you from leaving, they could surely prevent you from taking a cart. At best convention calls for the store to allow you to use the cart to load your car, and the same convention would require him to allow his receipt to be checked. The guy used violence on one employee and then violence was used on him. I don't have too much sympathy.

Do you think the employee would have done nothing if he had started taking the bags to his car instead of using the cart to push them there?
    Speculating on a hypothetical based largely on one man's side of the story is rarely fruitful. By his own version of events, he was in the wrong and the store employee was within his rights to stop the cart from leaving the store.

But in the specific case of Costco, he has a written agreement that compels him to allow a search and to detain him in this situation.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @feral, what was that from?

http://www.nickbarclaydesigns.com/

they have more to purchase

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Many states have enacted the common-law privilege as positive law (for example, Oregon’s law is ORS 131.655). In either form, the shopkeeper’s privilege allows a retailer to detain suspected shoplifters and inspect their personal property for stolen items. Such a detention will not be punished as false imprisonment as long as it is limited to a reasonable (short) time, takes place in the store, if the force used to detain the suspect is reasonable, and if the retailer had the reasonable belief (often defined in this context as equivalent to probable cause) that the suspect was attempting to steal or had already stolen something from the store.

Situation 1) You try to exit best buy after purchasing an item and they try to stop you after refusing to show your receipt. I do not believe they have probable cause to stop you in this case.

Situation 2) You try to exit Costco after purchasing an item and you refuse to show your receipt. By signing your membership agreement and paying your membership fee you have agreed to the conditions Costco imposes on you to shop there. One of these conditions is you show your receipt upon leaving the premises. Despite agreeing, in writing, to show your receipt, you refuse to do so. I believe in this situation, because of the consent already granted and disclosures made, you have given them probable cause to stop you for failing to show your receipt.

If the membership agreement didn't exist, I think Costco would be shit out of luck. But it does, and that's what makes the two situations completely different.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    i am growing suspicious of how often my boss and this other lady tell me i'm doing a good job

maybe they think i'm really needy with praise, i just want shit to get done!

it never gets done

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    holy christ I hate the UI changes in Office 2013.
    but now it makes it look like it would on your phone

where no sane person would attempt to use a word processing program
    Shitty mobile garbage is the future of all computing, I will just have to suffer as the only person still using a god damn keyboard and mouse.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    i am growing suspicious of how often my boss and this other lady tell me i'm doing a good job

it never gets done

maybe they read some article on "how to work with milennials" or some bullshit

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Daiquiri.jpg

This one is just awful. Wut were u thinking, bro?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I've been to many stores where I've been asked to show a receipt when I'm leaving. Hell, I've been a receipt checker a few times. This was in the 90s so its not a new practice. If you have a store that is literally hundreds of thousands of square feet, with hundreds of customers its not practical to visually see if someone has paid for their stuff. So they have someone check your receipt for like 15 seconds and then let you proceed.

By the quoted story, the employee grabbed the cart. Even if you don't believe the store can stop you from leaving, they could surely prevent you from taking a cart. At best convention calls for the store to allow you to use the cart to load your car, and the same convention would require him to allow his receipt to be checked. The guy used violence on one employee and then violence was used on him. I don't have too much sympathy.

Do you think the employee would have done nothing if he had started taking the bags to his car instead of using the cart to push them there?
    Speculating on a hypothetical based largely on one man's side of the story is rarely fruitful. By his own version of events, he was in the wrong and the store employee was within his rights to stop the cart from leaving the store.

But in the specific case of Costco, he has a written agreement that compels him to allow a search and to detain him in this situation.

The purpose of stopping the cart to leave the store was to prevent the guy from leaving the store with the goods he had purchased, not to merely deprive him of the use of the cart as tit for tat. The purpose is illegitimate.

Couscous on
  • Options

well

it is a daiquiri

• Options
    edited September 2014

Of course it was. No doctor would do that, and no doctor would do it for 20K

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i fucking am tired of "millennial" clickbait shitshow articles on fuckface websites like BuzzFeed

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

"Sorry, dudes: It appears your Total Recall sex fantasies have been temporarily sidelined."

Yeh, so.

Sign me up for 3 boobs.

Or green skin.

Tentacles and needles for teeth, I am down.

I would love to venture out into the universe, meet strange intelligent life, and fuck it

The premise of other = unattractive seems fundamentally flawed.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

well

it is a daiquiri

daiquiri's are delicious, u heathan!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    When people confuse minimalism for design talent.

thbbbt i like them

My issue with them is if I took away the drink name and recipe and just look at the designs themselves, the only one people might understand is the Manhattan. It's the same beef I have with a lot of minimalist movie posters done by fan communities. They just tend to use minimalism as an excuse to be lazy whereas if you look at something like Saul Bass's work, he is minimalist and evocative. He produces as a reaction in a viewer.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

it never gets done
    I would prefer that over never getting any feedback at all, which has happened to me a lot.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

well

it is a daiquiri

daiquiri's are delicious, u heathan!

Deebs- tough on cider, soft on daiquiris

Is this hypocrite REALLY the man you want in charge of your alcohol??

(Paid for by the committee for cider advancement)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Agh god damn it

The ear I couldn't hear out of no longer feels like it is full of fluid but the sensation of being blocked has been replaced by a sharp stabbing pain when I move my jaw

japan on
  • Options
    7 REASONS WHY MALE MILLENIALS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK WITH

11 REASONS WHY OLD PEOPLE ARE THE BEST DRIVERS

4 REASONS WHY MY DICK IS SOFT

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    the whistles go whooooooooooooooo

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

The purpose of stopping the cart to leave the store was to prevent the guy from leaving the store with the goods he had purchased, not to merely deprive him of the use of the cart as tit for tat.

So?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    tyrannus wrote: »
    7 REASONS WHY MALE MILLENIALS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK WITH

11 REASONS WHY OLD PEOPLE ARE THE BEST DRIVERS

4 REASONS WHY MY DICK IS SOFT
    uiLqn.jpg

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    my kid hasn't even arrived and she already has a million headbands and bows and shit

15148878400_62179eee62.jpg

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    i fucking am tired of "millennial" clickbait shitshow articles on fuckface websites like BuzzFeed

I'd be fine if they stayed on BuzzFeed but they're leaking everywhere, first into ads, then shitty sites like weather.com, now into sources of news. CNN's front page features links like "Seriously, who does this on a flight?!" and "Calif. on fire: Must see to believe"

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

I'd be fine if they stayed on BuzzFeed but they're leaking everywhere, first into ads, then shitty sites like weather.com, now into sources of news. CNN's front page features links like "Seriously, who does this on a flight?!" and "Calif. on fire: Must see to believe"

Its just a new twist on the local news.

"A local store might be molesting your kids. Find out which one right after the break."

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    we watched Generation Like in a class yesterday

so depressing

re: millenials, although I think technically they were younger than millenials we were also discussing millenials

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    nick beard is a pretty tough name to have these days

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options

thbbbt i like them

My issue with them is if I took away the drink name and recipe and just look at the designs themselves, the only one people might understand is the Manhattan. It's the same beef I have with a lot of minimalist movie posters done by fan communities. They just tend to use minimalism as an excuse to be lazy whereas if you look at something like Saul Bass's work, he is minimalist and evocative. He produces as a reaction in a viewer.

The appeal to me is that the minimalist design reminds me of the minimalist quality of the recipes. The appeal of classic cocktails is their elemental nature - you don't need a lot of ingredients. You just need good quality ingredients in the right proportions.

• Options

i liked it on Cracked where the articles had substance and weren't just a bunch of lazy GIFS strung together with meme-laden fragments of attention-begging bullshit

• Options

thbbbt i like them

From his site, the ones I can tell at a glance are the Manhattan, Martini, Bloody Mary. With a better color selection, I'd get the Margarita. I would only get the Old Fashioned because I mistook "Large ice Cube" for the sugar cube, which is apparently represented by a line at the bottom. That's dumb.

?format=1500w

• Options
    dick attack 2 stronk

riot plz nerf

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

The purpose of stopping the cart to leave the store was to prevent the guy from leaving the store with the goods he had purchased, not to merely deprive him of the use of the cart as tit for tat.

So?

The intention of the person is usually very relevant in these situations. The employee's purpose was to detain the person, not merely deprive him of use of the cart to force him to take the bags to the car without use of the cart.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    It pisses me off even more when something that could have been an interesting opinion piece is in clickbait list format.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Many states have enacted the common-law privilege as positive law (for example, Oregon’s law is ORS 131.655). In either form, the shopkeeper’s privilege allows a retailer to detain suspected shoplifters and inspect their personal property for stolen items. Such a detention will not be punished as false imprisonment as long as it is limited to a reasonable (short) time, takes place in the store, if the force used to detain the suspect is reasonable, and if the retailer had the reasonable belief (often defined in this context as equivalent to probable cause) that the suspect was attempting to steal or had already stolen something from the store.

Situation 1) You try to exit best buy after purchasing an item and they try to stop you after refusing to show your receipt. I do not believe they have probable cause to stop you in this case.

Situation 2) You try to exit Costco after purchasing an item and you refuse to show your receipt. By signing your membership agreement and paying your membership fee you have agreed to the conditions Costco imposes on you to shop there. One of these conditions is you show your receipt upon leaving the premises. Despite agreeing, in writing, to show your receipt, you refuse to do so. I believe in this situation, because of the consent already granted and disclosures made, you have given them probable cause to stop you for failing to show your receipt.

If the membership agreement didn't exist, I think Costco would be shit out of luck. But it does, and that's what makes the two situations completely different.

I don't agree. Violating Costco's agreement by not showing your crumpled up receipt in your pocket means at worst you forfeit your membership and can't come back. If you tell the receipt checker you do not consent to a search of your bags that you paid for, well, that's that. Without actually seeing you slip an item into your pocket, leave the store without paying, or having the sensors at the exit go off, all they can do is politely protest.

• Options
    my kid hasn't even arrived and she already has a million headbands and bows and shit

15148878400_62179eee62.jpg

skippydumptruck

reinforcing gender roles from day zero

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    so close to figuring out something that I have been working on for a while here

coders high is so intense right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6JkfPiHPsw

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

donkey kong made this post...

...and you'll never guess what happened next

Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.