As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And, just on the off-chance y'all have missed the announcement elsewhere, GOG.com just rereleased the original and updated versions of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter sim computer games.

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Played an interesting game with my buddy tonight. When we get together, he normally runs Rebels and always runs a Falcon – this week, we mixed things up and swapped factions. Wanting to shake up our private little meta a little farther, I went with all A-Wings.
    • Tycho Celchu – Chardan Refit, Test Pilot, Outmaneuver, Push the Limit
    • Jake Ferrel - Chardan Refit, Test Pilot, Outmaneuver, Push the Limit
    • Green Squadron - Chardan Refit, Test Pilot, Outmaneuver, Veteran Instincts
    • Green Squadron - Chardan Refit, Test Pilot, Outmaneuver, Veteran Instincts

As one can see, I like Outmaneuver. To my mind, it is the EPT which makes the more maneuverable low attack ships viable - I had a lot of fun in a previous session using it with Vader. To fly A-Wings properly, you need to outfly the other guy anyway, so Outmaneuver just made doing so that much more effective.

He had:
    • Rexler Brath – Ion Cannon
    • Echo – Advanced Cloaking Device, Tactician
    • Kir Kanos

I spread the A-Wings wide – he had Rexler on my left and Kir in the center, with Echo near the right board edge. This gave him broad coverage, but it would leave Echo with limited options when it came to decloaking (I don’t think he thought about how broad a 2 bank would be with this set up.

Turn 1 saw the usual jostling for position – Rexler did a 5 forward and missed a long range ion cannon shot through an asteroid at an A-Wing (which did nothing in return). Then, with turn 2, things got interesting…

I predicted Rexler would do a K4 (expecting the A-Wings to zoom past him) while Kir Kanos would turn in towards the fight. As a result, I sent the Green pilots deep (5 forward) and even boosted with one to try and put an obstacle in the way of Rexler’s ion shot. Meanwhile, Jake and Tycho swung in to bracket Rexler’s stopping point.

Kir actually went left, which was so perfect that I couldn’t have planned a better move. Because of the board edge and asteroids, Echo had to stay cloaked.
    20141028XWing1.png

As you can see, this left him flanked by both Green A-Wings. Rexler, meanwhile, did the expected K4.
    20141028XWing2.png

This gave me two range one shots from his flank (btw Jake should have a focus in this photo in place of one evade, as should Rexler). During the combat phase, I stripped Rexler’s shields and tagged him for a hit and Kir took an engine crit (hard turns = red). Rexler’s ion cannon shot at a Green squadron pilot missed.

Next came the bit of flying I’m proudest of. I expected Kir would plan to K3 to try stay in the fight. Rexler would either break right to try and chase the Green squadron pilots or K4 again with the hope of jousting Jake and Tycho.

One Green Squadron pilot whipped his fighter around and with a slick little boost, put himself right on the spot to interdict a short koirogan. This also had the benefit of stopping Echo’s left forward bank from a decloak. The other Green Squadron pilot parked on Echo’s right forward bank decloak.

Kir, as expected, had a K3 and ended up without an action, facing the wrong way.

20141028XWing3.png

Echo couldn’t decloak and just entered the middle of the killing zone. Jake and Tycho took big forward moves to threaten Kir while Rexler broke right to chase a Green Squadron pilot. Tycho splashed Kir Kanos with a direct hit on the first shot of the round, while Rexler missed his pursuit shots on the Green Squadron.

Two rounds of fast, fancy flying then took place. Echo decloaked to try and trap Tycho, but the veteran pilot boosted out of both Imperial’s arcs. The Phantom then did a koirogan while Rexler tried to turn and give chase. That lead to this…

20141028XWing4.png

…where Tycho splashed Rexler with a long range shot when the dice broke in my favor. This left a singed Echo (down one shield) facing four mint condition A-Wings. The surviving Imperial pilot had suffered more than enough humiliation and broke for home. I don’t blame my friend – he had been completely out flown and the dice hadn’t seen fit to bail him out.

I’ve always enjoyed flying A-Wings, but they have rarely hit the table in the past because they pack too little punch for an untimed game (in a timed game, you can alpha strike with missiles and then play keep away, but that’s not recommended for playing with people who you want to stay friends with). The new Rebel Ace upgrades change that and Jake Ferrell’s ability is almost too much fun – he is essentially the Rebel answer to Soontir Fel.

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    How much of a noob would I be, and how much hate would I get for the following list? I just really fancy the idea of a list with no "military" ships.

+++ YT Spam (100pts) +++
    +++ 100pt Rebel Alliance Roster (Standard)) +++

YT-1300
    * PS 1 - Outer Rim Smuggler
    Anti-Pursuit Lasers, Weapons Engineer

YT-1300
    * PS 1 - Outer Rim Smuggler
    Anti-Pursuit Lasers, Weapons Engineer

YT-2400
    * PS 2 - Wild Space Fringer
    Countermeasures, Proton Rockets

The ORS move first, just being annoying and blocking movement for the APL to kick in. With the amount of shields and hull (30 total) I should be pretty survivable, and with 360 fire on everything.

• Options
    Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    How much of a noob would I be, and how much hate would I get for the following list? I just really fancy the idea of a list with no "military" ships.

It resembles the 3 Bounty Hunter Firespray list, but with less punch and that's where I'd think the problem may be. The problem I see is a combination of the 2 attack dice with the large bases - you're going to have a hard time focus firing with that set up, which means killing even a single TIE fighter should take multiple turns with average dice (meanwhile a full TIE swarm with Howlrunner should be able to kill an ORS in one turn with average dice). In my experience, APL do most of their good by forcing opponents to go elsewhere, rather than actually inflicting damage, but I'm not sure your other ships will be able to take advantage of the scatter.

Would be interested to hear how it goes if you try it.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »

+++ YT Spam (100pts) +++

The ORS move first, just being annoying and blocking movement for the APL to kick in. With the amount of shields and hull (30 total) I should be pretty survivable, and with 360 fire on everything.

aside from the issues that've already been mentioned, it's possible to do well with a defense-heavy squad (outside of timed tournament formats)

if you really want to go with this, here's what I would change though

Remove those weapon engineers. your primary weapons aren't good enough or firing often enough to make multiple target locks worth it- the standard YT doesn't really have enough actions to use them on anything but offensive target lock/focus anyways.

Instead, (if possible, or by proxy) go full ham and spend those points on Saboteurs and Tacticians. These will allow you to cripple and stress enemy ships, which makes forcing further collisions a lot easier. It only costs 2 points more total, too!

I haven't been keeping up with wave 5 stuff tbh, but I'd also drop the generic pilot and upgrades on the 2400 for the 3 skill guy, who will further let you exploit any stress the tacticians can drop (or is caused indirectly by saboteur criticals). That leaves you with a couple of free points and one probably very irritating gimmick list

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    All of your should get in on this:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/193959/cf-secret-santa-2014

So we can send each other X-wing minis.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »

PM sent, I'm in! :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

PM sent, I'm in! :)

Same with me!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm liking my odds of sending somebody tiny spaceships for Secret Santa...

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    I also signed up for it and look forward to sending a tiny spaceship to someone.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I managed to get the last copy of Rebel Aces in stock at PAXAUS, now I'm trying to fit them all in one list :P I think I want to run Farlander first, but I'm not super sure how to outfit him. Push the Limit seems like an obvious choice, maybe advanced sensors as well. Thoughts?

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ive been itching to use him in this squad

Keyan Farlander
    *Push the Limit
    *Advanced Proton Torpedoes
    *Fire Control System

Ethan A'baht

Jake Farrell
    *Outmaneuver
    *Chardaan Refit
    *A-Wing Test Pilot
    *Push the Limit

Although @Crimsoncoyote and I also talked about dropping the Advanced Proton Torpedoes for a few defensive things for Ethan(Veteran Instincts and R7-T1) and a flechette Torpedo for Keyan. I've also run him with a Heavy Laser Cannon before and it worked alright but he was maybe too obviously the centerpiece of that squad and got targeted down quickly and it left me in an awkward spot.

Stationary on
  • Options
    Yeah, you could run him with a HLC/Autoblaster, but Keyan then needs some kind of defensive option (B-Wing/E2+crew; Biggs+upgrades; etc) due to his low agility. I like HLC more than the Adv. Proton Torpedoes personally, but there aren't enough points for that in @Stationary's build.

I would be a little worried since this build is pretty much straight offense, and I think Keyan is the obvious first target. Though even if Keyan goes down, you still have some decent offense in Etahn's pilot ability and Jake's Outmaneuver.

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    Quick update, second preview of Scum's Most Wanted pack is up, showcasing the Firespray and HWK pilot cards:
    fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5171

hmm.gif
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    K-kath... *blush*

kath-scarlet-scum.png

Edit:
    Brb buying two Firesprays...

emon-azzameen.png
    andrasta.png

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    So, how are you supposed to deal with the millennium falcon? I've only flown against one once, against a beginner player, but the thing seems tanky and powerful enough that is basically obviates good flying. How does it actually pan out? How does one position against an enemy that doesn't care about positioning?

• Options
    All of S&V spoiled
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5171

Firesprays:
    We have seen these two I think:
    boba-fett.png
    kath-scarlet-scum.png

This is new:
    emon-azzameen.png

Which allows this:
    SWX28-bomb-diagram2.jpg

And gets a unique title for his firespray to give him 3 bombs to make use of his ability:
    andrasta.png

Finally the "Generic" firespray is anything but:
    mandalorian-mercenary.png

2 points more than the empire bounty hunter, (which means you cannot field 3 of them in one list) but gets an EPT, an illicit slot, and has a 5 PS.

Hawks:
    Works great in an ion heavy list, or just paired with an ion turret.
    dace-bonearm.png

Amazing, mess with your opponents:
    palob-godalhi.png

Wow, big F you to phantoms. Also... does this combo with predator?
    torkhil-mux.png

New crew, it is kinda meh:
    outlaw-tech.png

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Rend wrote: »
    So, how are you supposed to deal with the millennium falcon? I've only flown against one once, against a beginner player, but the thing seems tanky and powerful enough that is basically obviates good flying. How does it actually pan out? How does one position against an enemy that doesn't care about positioning?

Outmaneuver would help a bunch. Though to be honest I'm not really sure I have a full answer

• Options
    I am loving the ideas present in the Scum and Villainy box.

• Options
    holy cow, Most Wanted. Dang.
    Rend wrote: »

the Falcon is pretty tanky, but it's also big and relatively easy to predict where it'll end up, especially now that big ships can't barrel roll as effectively.

use that size against it. The ideal Falcon game involves flying past or away from you so it can take potshots without retaliation- as a tank, it wins in the long game, where it picks off your ships one at a time (taking the Falcon actually means a sizable decrease in offensive power!). You want to make this impossible. Place asteroids so they don't have a lot of room, then drive the Falcon into the rocks via blocking, ion shots, whatever. This'll give you a turn or two where you can just unload on them- and while the Falcon still has a lot of health, that health disappears fast under focused fire from a whole squad.

Also, don't be afraid to get close! Getting multiple ships to range 1 of the Falcon is way better for you than the Falcon, math-wise.

• Options
    Wait... does that mean with Andrasta, you can drop 3 proton bombs or seismic charges at once?

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Wait... does that mean with Andrasta, you can drop 3 proton bombs or seismic charges at once?

With the rules as-written, I think so.
    It'll get FAQ'd though. Because that would be broken as hell.
    You might still be able to drop 3 in a turn though. Seismic -> Maneuver -> Proton Bomb -> Proximity Mine.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm gonna need another firespray.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Stationary wrote: »
    ive been itching to use him in this squad

Keyan Farlander
    *Push the Limit
    *Advanced Proton Torpedoes
    *Fire Control System

Ethan A'baht

Jake Farrell
    *Outmaneuver
    *Chardaan Refit
    *A-Wing Test Pilot
    *Push the Limit

Although @Crimsoncoyote and I also talked about dropping the Advanced Proton Torpedoes for a few defensive things for Ethan(Veteran Instincts and R7-T1) and a flechette Torpedo for Keyan. I've also run him with a Heavy Laser Cannon before and it worked alright but he was maybe too obviously the centerpiece of that squad and got targeted down quickly and it left me in an awkward spot.

I love the jake farrell setup, really mobile and outmaneuver gives him a punch. I'm still trying to build rebels without using him, I've used jake in every build since rebel aces came out.
    Also tonight is our weekly game gonna try an empire build of interceptors and howlrunner. trying to fit in carnor jax, going to see if his focus and evade token denial is worth the extra points.

• Options
    That sounds pretty fun, carnor and howlrunner should play well off each other. What's the rest of that squad look like?

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Hmmm, thanks for the ideas guys, I might have a play around with both farlander and Jake cos why not.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Asher wrote: »
    Hmmm, thanks for the ideas guys, I might have a play around with both farlander and Jake cos why not.
    The two of them together adds some good diversity I think, so you have a pretty good flanker/harasser in Jake, and some hefty firepower with keyan

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Nevermind. I forgot that I preemptively bought another one.

Now to paint one of them up as Kath.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nevermind. I forgot that I preemptively bought another one.

Now to paint one of them up as Kath.
    Kind of sad that all the HWKs look so similar. Only difference in their paint jobs is where the red stripes go.
    At least the Firesprays look cool.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I wonder how bad/if the low initiative on Scum pilots is gonna hurt them- they've got a lot of 7s, 5s, and 3s

it's usually not a big deal, but they've only got 2 8s, even. Which is kind of ridiculous considering they should have six ships available!

I haven't been keeping up with competitive stuff since like... the wave 4 prerelease, does anyone know if the whole Phantom + Advanced Cloaking thing really caught on? Or is Headhunter swarms the big thing that came out of that set?

...I'm assuming it wasn't E-wings or Defenders (because they seem way more geared to epic size matches) but I'd be ok with being wrong

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    Oh yeah. Phantom plus ACD is totally a thing, yup.

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Oh yeah. Phantom plus ACD is totally a thing, yup.

...that seems like bad news for a faction that can't really beat them out, pilot-skill wise!

I guess there's a couple of nifty ways for scum pilots to boost their attacks to 4 and they've got access to some nice turrets/auxiliary arcs, but uh

that doesn't sound super great for them in general. kinda surprised Fett or Kath didn't get pushed to 9, at least

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    That sounds pretty fun, carnor and howlrunner should play well off each other. What's the rest of that squad look like?
    So just finished up 2 games, Got 2 wins so success!? so carnor with PTL and two royal guard Interceptors with PTL. finish with howlrunner and hull upgrade. keep in formation a front row of royal guard with carnor in the middle then howlrunner right behind carnor. Works out great due to pilot skills of 6 and 8 for easier formation flying, always take a focus and evade. try to get in some nice shots on the first pass. after that its chaos, scatter and try to boost and barrel roll away from whatever they got left. It seems like you really need to have good dice. in my second game I rolled 4 attacks and got 11 hits and 1 crit. taking a very nasty Y-wing out and getting wedge to 1 hull. Fun list but may the Dice be with you.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    How long does one of these games take to play? My buddies and I are very interested and were wondering if we could get a game in during an hour lunch.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    How long does one of these games take to play? My buddies and I are very interested and were wondering if we could get a game in during an hour lunch.

Once you know what you're doing, you can do a full 100-point-per-side game in an hour. (Usually.)

Smaller games - 25pts, 50pts, etc. - tend to go a bit faster.

Games while you're still learning how to fly around and what all the things do can take quite a bit longer.

Generally, you can ramp up the difficulty and the time requirements pretty gradually, starting with the starter box (1 X-Wing vs. 2 TIEs), then moving to simple ships (50 points apiece, no uniques) and then gradually layering in unique pilots with unique abilities and ship upgrades.

• Options

Every game I have played has been at least an hour, though I've also never played any of the missions the core game comes with so that might be possible?

So just finished up 2 games, Got 2 wins so success!? so carnor with PTL and two royal guard Interceptors with PTL. finish with howlrunner and hull upgrade. keep in formation a front row of royal guard with carnor in the middle then howlrunner right behind carnor. Works out great due to pilot skills of 6 and 8 for easier formation flying, always take a focus and evade. try to get in some nice shots on the first pass. after that its chaos, scatter and try to boost and barrel roll away from whatever they got left. It seems like you really need to have good dice. in my second game I rolled 4 attacks and got 11 hits and 1 crit. taking a very nasty Y-wing out and getting wedge to 1 hull. Fun list but may the Dice be with you.

man this is super tempting to try out, but I only have the two tie interceptors from imperial aces and buying the interceptor expansion right now seems almost impossible. Something ill have to keep in mind for another time I guess.

• Options

Once you get a handle on the rules a 75 point game will easily fit into an hour. A 100 point game takes about an hour if you're fast and the dice aren't too cold.

Or you can go with the time limit rules, and play for as long as you have and the winner is the person with the most total destroyed points.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Alright my buddy and I bit the bullet and bought two starter sets, so we are planning on playing Friday night. Any tips for the newbs?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Alright my buddy and I bit the bullet and bought two starter sets, so we are planning on playing Friday night. Any tips for the newbs?

Always fly max distance, never fails.

Going 2 or 3 when you could be going 4 or 5 is for babies.

[EDIT] Actual tip: Put the original star wars soundtrack on spotify and blast that crap.

Rend on
  • Options
    There's also a nifty playlist on youtube if spotify isn't your thing. It goes through the original trilogy soundtrack. (I did this with my wife the other night and she got kinda into it, even though Star Wars isn't quite her thing)

(I also outflew her pretty badly so I felt awful after that)

Playing with the Quick Start rules is a quick way to learn/teach the game, but it's also kind of boring (it covers movement and combat only). If you two don't mind taking a little longer to learn, use the actual rules (leave out asteroids/obstacles to start though) since it's way more fun.

I think the rules suggest only doing 31 points if all you have is a single core set for squad building, but you could easily combine the sets so you can do 4 TIE Fighters against 2 X-Wings and then separate them afterward.

I would fly Luke vs. 2 TIEs (Black Squadron, I think?) for the first game to get the basics down and start faster, then start squad building after that.