As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dream Games, or, OH MAN IT'D BE SO COOL

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I want a really rebuilt from the ground up remake of the oregon trail

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    A decent Gundam game. Hell, I'd be very happy with an original IP mecha combat game. HAWKEN is close but lacks a single player campaign, and suffers from balance issues.

Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Something like Guns of Icarus with larger ships and teams. I want my giant airship battleships please! Putting this in space is also acceptable.

Beyond Good and Evil 2.

A sci fi diplomacy game where you have to deal with some crazy first contact scenarios. I want truly weird aliens with whom communicating is a big inital hurdle.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 already jesus christ.

Superohero game set in the pulpy mystery men in masks era. Sorta like The Spirit. Investigation mechanics plus brawling combat plus cheesy plots!

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Minecraft/Dungeon Keeper MMO with Eve online like systems

Players able to assign different rooms they build purposes if the rooms have the required items in them, which attract NPC's. These NPC's would make up the towns vendors/guards/generic soldiers.

Players can build libraries which they can access wiki pages to read through how everything works/what resources they have access to/monsters their town has encountered. The more they read the wiki, the more research points they get which unlocks additional pages.

If you can sneak into another towns library you can take a copy of a scientific advancement they've made. Make it back to your town intact and you can add it to your own research for a huge boost.

Resource nodes would last for months, but eventually would run out. Towns would have to expand their influence to ensure they have a good flow of resources coming through.

War would be slightly DOTAish with each town throwing waves of soldiers at each other. The contested territories between the two would be full of patrols, skirmishes and the occasional full out battle.

Crafters would be able to mastermind the look of the items that the towns NPC's would equip, allowing them to craft their towns image.

You'd be able to go on an epic quest to capture a live T-Rex and if you manage it and get it to your towns stables your NPC knights would occasionally spawn riding them.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    @Inquisitor‌
    @JusticeforPluto‌

Go buy Commander: The Great War. It's a fantastic entry level WW1 game with competent AI and fantastic multiplayer support.

Also on the subject of unity of Command I wasn't really a fan. Mainly because of the specific combo of no undo buttons, absurdly strict time limits and campaigns that seem to end on a single failure. It felt more like a trail and error puzzle game than what I'd want out of a wargame.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    A game made by the team behind The Darkness 1 and the new Wolfenstein game, set in the C&C Tiberian universe

I just

I want a sequel go C&C Renegade so bad, you guys

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    A fine dining version of Cook, Serve Delicious in which you start out at the absolute bottom in a kitchen and work your way up to Head Chef.

A game that would fully utilize the camera and microphone of the Xbone: Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares 2015. You play as Ramsey in a beat and motion timing game, but instead of dancing in DDR or singing karaoke, you're screaming obscenities at virtual cooks and using arm and body motion to slam counters and throw food in the trash. You will also occasionally have to do a spit take.

Ok, you're hired

Might be easier to get Marco Pierre White to do the endorsement, he doesn't give a fuck what he puts his name to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EkGfeWaUsA

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A game made by the team behind The Darkness 1 and the new Wolfenstein game, set in the C&C Tiberian universe

I just

I want a sequel go C&C Renegade so bad, you guys

Is that the FPS that was utter garbage? Or was there another C&C FPS game that is not in the C&C: The First Decade collection that is better than the one included? Because I bought that collection, saw that there was an FPS, installed it, sequence broke it during the tutorial, got shitty at the almost completely broken controls and interface (compared to Halflife 1, which was the most recent FPS I had played before that), and promptly uninstalled it.

These people are trying to do a thing with the concept, though: http://www.renegade-x.com/

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Renegade had really terrible single player

but it had absolutely amazing multiplayer

besides, getting to explore the insides of all the buildings you saw in the RTS, then plant explosives inside them and watch them blow up, was tons of fun

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie have you heard of: http://www.renegade-x.com/ ?

Because I feel it might interest you as being basically exactly what you're looking for.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    More like Slowbino Bunny...

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    An RPG that uses an engine from any of the good first or third-person shooters.
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines used the Source Engine...

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor‌
    JusticeforPluto‌

Go buy Commander: The Great War. It's a fantastic entry level WW1 game with competent AI and fantastic multiplayer support.

Also on the subject of unity of Command I wasn't really a fan. Mainly because of the specific combo of no undo buttons, absurdly strict time limits and campaigns that seem to end on a single failure. It felt more like a trail and error puzzle game than what I'd want out of a wargame.

Oh hey it's from the guys that made that napoleonic total conversion mod for medieval 2 total war that I loved!

I'll give it a look, thanks.

• Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    Even though I hate the genre, I'm surprised at how well a Pokémon MOBA would fit together. Like off the top of my head:

- each character only knows 4 moves, like a standard MOBA. However throughout the match you can choose to buy TMs from the shop to change your move set instead of buying equipment.
    - you could probably also buy a single held item as well.
    - each team has 6 members because Pokémon
    - you don't have mana or a bar as resource, each move has its own charges/PP that refills slowly over time or all at once by visiting your Pokémon center
    - different types of creeps are found in different lanes, and killing them provides nearby team members EVs to modify their stats slightly. Not sure how it could be done but it would be better if the Stat system was simplified enough so that every type of EV would actually be useful to every pokemon, so deciding how to divide them across the team is an interesting decision.
    - because these are pokemon there wouldn't need to be any restrictions like not being able to have the same pokemon on both teams.
    - there could be areas between lanes only accessible by HM but that have greater rewards. However HM moves are suboptimal and can't be overwritten. Do you try to distribute them across the team, or have an HM slave that's useless in teamfights but five other optimal characters?
    - the typing system could lead to interesting spacing considerations. Like a ground pokemon carefully body blocking lightning attacks so they'll fizzle instead of hitting a water/flying ally.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I kinda want a remake of FFVII on a modern engine.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Guild Wars 2 expansions...

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I kinda want a remake of FFVII on a modern engine.

@halkun

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    What about a Dragon Age spin off where you play as Bulls Chargers?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Crimson Skies type game with extremely in depth customization of your plane, and utilizing the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor

• Options
    LA Noire style game with the Blade Runner license, where in you must determine if your suspects are replicants or not

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    LA Noire style game with the Blade Runner license, where in you must determine if your suspects are replicants or not

The Voight-Kampff test isn't reliable on these new models.

• Options

The Voight-Kampff test isn't reliable on these new models.

Damnit man, I want results!

• Options

Oh yeah also (naturally) you'd have to attempt to prove that you are not a replicant near the end

It wouldn't be clear that you were telling the truth though

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    This idea basically requires the 3DS mic to be more kinect level, but, a sequel to The World Ends With You where the bottom screen is controlled by analog stick (movement + L for dodge roll) and touch screen (attacks), the top screen is AI, but you can give voice commands to select attack methods and to better time their finishers to sync up a 'puck pass' system like the first game.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Warning: Huge post below

I've had an idea for a superhero game for a very long time, that until I recently didn't think would even be possible.

The basic idea stemmed from my fondness for City of Heroes, and how awesome it was to be able to create your own hero and set their powers. But I had two problems with the game.
    1) That feeling of "I'm awesome. I am a freaking superhero, finally.... in a world of 10 thousand other heroes. And they're all a lot better than me. Why am I here again?"
    2) While I got to build the super hero of my dreams, I didn't really get much control over their individual story. Every hero's story was more or less the same.

So I started talking about the idea with one of my best buds, and we've got a pretty good idea of what the game would be like. First of all, we wanted to be able to have complete control over each characters stories/powers - to an extent.

You start on your Day 0 - the day where you gained/found out/whatever your powers.
    -You go through a character creator to decide your basic look in your everyday clothes. Your starting position in the city would be randomized, as well as your career. You're given some menial task to get from point A in the city to point B.
    -There are hotspots all around the city. Most of them won't be active, but they all have a pool of events that can take place randomly once arriving at one.
    -Something I imagine being similar to a Telltale dialogue scene happens, allowing you to subtly define character traits, though the player may not recognize it.
    -Once the scene is over, the player is tasked to do objective X, depending on what even triggered. In the process, they somehow gain their powers (this is a particularly hard part to do)

Fast forward to your Year 1. You've been doing this for a little while, though mostly unsuccessfully. Here is where we further define character traits through use of more Telltale-type scenes, but more importantly introduce the Nemesis - a procedurally generated character that rivals yours - both in traits and powers. We'll throw in a couple more missions that are more tailored for your character here as well, allowing you to decide how your powers are manifesting.

Congratulations, you've been playing for about 4 hours at this point, grown pretty close to the character, and you've only just finished the character creation part of the game. Don't like how your hero is turning out? Sucks. Re-roll.

That's really the meat and potatoes of what my buddy and I have though of, but we think it would be pretty neat. We've toyed around with the idea of drop-in multiplayer with your friends, and maybe even have your friends' characters giving you missions while they're not logged in. Like, they could say they need some help with their nemesis or something. You could create your own super-group - and maybe even need their help to take down a big bad.

Another idea we had regarding multiplayer was to instance small areas of the city, making it so at most, you'd ever really see glimpses of online players flying off into the sunset - though like in Journey, you have no way to communicate with them. Even when you would see one, it would be an incredibly rare occurrence.

----

So uhhhh what do you guys think? I doubt anything of this caliber would ever be done, but by god I would play the shit out of it if it existed.

EDIT: Couple of things to add here, regarding the choices we went with.
    1) Roguelikes are fun. This would be kind of like a RL Superhero game, which would be like doubly fun.
    2) I want some powers to be just completely useless - or at least seem so at first anyway. Like, there are some mutants in the comics that can turn flowers different colors by blinking at them.

monsterror on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It seems like "customized superhero game" would be something hella in demand and I am actually wondering if someone doesn't have something in the pipeline as far as that goes. Cuz, like, with the recent resurgence in popular superhero IPs, having a video game that would cash in on the trend seems like it'd be a natural response.

Plus, people love customization! Especially if the system was even half as good as a City of Heroes. And it really seems like with today's technology you could make something like that work really well.

SOMEONE FUND THIS

ALSO GET PARKER IN HERE.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think that's kinda what Project TITAN was gonna be before they gave up on it and used the assets for Overwatch.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I just want someone to be able to create their own Iron Man or such, but not really have much say in how. A lot of random things would have to fall into place for them to be able to get a power suit, but it would technically be possible.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    online class-based bullet-hell-style spaceship shooter.
    diablo-loot-fiesta weapons and parts, 4 player co-op, procedurally generated missions.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I think a cyberpunk MMO that plays sort of like what The Division has been hyped up as would be great. Imagine an entire living breathing futuristic city with different districts. Some are upper-class businesses and high rises, there's a night market like in Hong Kong, a rainy Blade Runner inspired art deco looking part of town, slums underground, entire post-Cyberpunk parts of society trying to drag the city toward progress etc. etc. The problems of crowded NPC shops could be alleviated with items ordered online and delivered via drones and stores manned by androids.

Character classes would fill the roles typically assumed for the genre. For basic cover based shooting, stealth and other hands on work you could play a Syndicate style agent, a member of a criminal organization or just a common criminal. Hackers would play kind of like Glitchspace or Hack 'n' Slash where light programing skills are used to solve puzzles that would give you control of everything from cameras to other people. People playing these classes could seamlessly be brought together for missions by Fixers responsible for putting together jobs. Some players might want to play as the police simply for the Ghost in the Shell style tech. Cybernetic modifications and transhumanism could give players advantages at the risk of being hacked. You could even play with the concepts of permadeath and the singularity.

Plus it's the one MMO setting where everybody's dumb screen name would make sense.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    A lot of this sounds kind of like a never gonna happen MMO idea I have had kicking around in my head for awhile.

Basically everyone is part of some kind of secret society in some kind in a modern day city. These will include things such as Lovecraftian cultist, malevolent AIs, Harry Potter style wizards, vampires, werewolves, time travelers, psychics, maybe even some garden variety mobsters. All of them will play at least slightly differently and have their own unique goals which will generally, but not always, be at cross purposes.

The exception to would be an X-com kind of organization that is trying to root out all the crazy supernatural bullshit from the city. This means they are basically trying to kill all the other player characters. The thing is, the city is populated with thousands of NPCs that just go about their business and other player characters will be indistinguishable from those NPCs when the aren't using their abilities. The X-com people on the other hand are all uniformed and generally not subtle in their methods. They make up for it by generally being able to deal with individual secret society players if they could only find them.

Instead of a typical questing system, each faction is going to regularly receive group missions from their shadowy overlords. These will be open ended goals like, get this thing, or kill this NPC, which they which they will have to do without being caught by the x-com people or possibly beaten to the punch by another faction. These goals would provide tangible benefits such as new resources and abilities as well as bringing them closer to getting their factions final mission which, if completed, would mean they would win the game on their shard.

This would work because there would be a ton of small shards with player counts capped in the hundreds. This means that if your faction loses, or if you experience permadeath, you can start a new character somewhere and keep playing. Maybe stats could partially transfer between characters to soften the blow if your faction does lose. This also mean that the community on that shard will be stronger, rivalries will form and people will get to know their teammates better.

Also, and I'm not sure if this would work. But not every faction will be in every game and there would be no central resource with all the factions and information about them. This means that for a while the capabilities of factions you are not in will be somewhat of a mystery which would be discovered as a group by the larger community.

So yeah I never going to happen but if it did it would be so rad.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Also an online version of Netrunner, that would be cool.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    A Chrono Trigger sequel that:
    - takes place on the CT map (where the hell is 'El Nido Archipelago? I call BS!)
    - Retcons Chrono Cross out of existence through time travel
    - has a plot that makes sense unlike CC which is like a Metal Gear game plot

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    It occurs to me that Games Workshop abd Wizards of the Coast need to be a lot less tight-fisted with their respective IPs. In the right hands, a Warhammer Fantasy game would be ssssssiiiiiiiiick. And there have been great games based on D&D but not recently at all.

Plus, a Magic: The Gathering RPG where you play as a customizable planeswalker would be super rad.

Pathfinder and Darksun are practically begging to be used as a setting for a videogame.

This also reminds me of how sad I was to hear that the Whitewolf mmo got shitcanned.
    Wizards (Hasbro really) had signed a bad deal giving Atari exclusive rights to make D&D games for years.

Atari sucks and was broke, so it was squandered.

We should see more D&D games coming out in the future, though.
    Which is good. Because 4th Edition was basically tailor-made for rad-ass TRPG goodness and nothing ever came of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed: Ankh-Morpork.

Edit: Actually, no, I want Monolith to make a Shadow of Ankh-Morpork game where you play as one of Vimes' Particulars, having to take down a vast criminal network while occasionally skulking off to have a fag.

Side game where you are Vimes setting booby-traps for Assassin's Guild trainees trying to inhume him.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've been really wanting a western shootout game. Not necessarily a dueling game, just one where you have a shootout with gangs. There's already a few, but more wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm currently playing FEAR, which seems to get slowmotion as a special ability perfect and it has really good enemy ai. A western game with those two things and more realistic/animated gun handling would be great. Also, no reloading, you pick up guns off enemies, encouraging you to kill them before they can take their shots. It's not very western, but it's a mechanic I rather like that was in a saloon shootout web game.

• Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed: Ankh-Morpork.

Edit: Actually, no, I want Monolith to make a Shadow of Ankh-Morpork game where you play as one of Vimes' Particulars, having to take down a vast criminal network while occasionally skulking off to have a fag.

Side game where you are Vimes setting booby-traps for Assassin's Guild trainees trying to inhume him.

There's a pretty good Ankh-Morpork board game where the guy playing Vimes literally just has to stall out all the other players till the game ends from deck exhaustion to win.

It's pretty fun to do that and feels rather in character.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    A Chrono Trigger sequel that:
    - takes place on the CT map (where the hell is 'El Nido Archipelago? I call BS!)
    - Retcons Chrono Cross out of existence through time travel
    - has a plot that makes sense unlike CC which is like a Metal Gear game plot

I remember the NDS version had some anime endings to them for Chrono Trigger. Its been speculated (canon?) Crono and Marle are killed like 4 years into their reign over Guardia. Its the most incredible amount of horseshit I've read because how in the hell do you just kill off main characters practically off-screen like that?!

So yes, I'm all for the elimination of Chrono Cross from the canonical plot line. Or just make Chrono Cross its own time/universe in which Crono, Lucca and Marle aren't a part. I'd be fine with either.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I really wish Bioware would either license out or create more content based in the Mass Effect universe. Fuckin hard-boiled detective story working on the citadel, all tracking leads across this vast space station and stuff, high-speed future space car chases, going up to the presidium to deal with the real scum.

Cuz you expect a criminal to put a knife in your back while he picks your wallet, but a politician will put one arm around you while the other jams a pistol into your ribs, and they'll smile and call you "friend" the whole time.

Basically I want Max Payne in space.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I really wish Bioware would either license out or create more content based in the Mass Effect universe. Fuckin hard-boiled detective story working on the citadel, all tracking leads across this vast space station and stuff, high-speed future space car chases, going up to the presidium to deal with the real scum.

Cuz you expect a criminal to put a knife in your back while he picks your wallet, but a politician will put one arm around you while the other jams a pistol into your ribs, and they'll smile and call you "friend" the whole time.

Basically I want Max Payne in space.

I really wanted that Telltale collaboration they teased (the one that ended up as Minecraft: Story Mode, of all things) to be a Mass Effect adventure game :(