Options

[chat] with Tay Sway

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    I think the house is already too large to be functional. Individual representatives actually matter very little. Its nothing but coalitions. But then I would ideally get rid of the states altogether and only have a large federal government with a small number of regionally elected senators as the sole congressional body, and all other issues handled by regional administrative boards and local government.

Yup.

States are an antiquated notion.

:bro:

• Options
    ChelleYeahChelleYeah Mrs. Ludious Living it up in Cinderella's CastleRegistered User regular
    i avoid talking about politics like the plague. i used to have a very close friend who got caught up in the ultra conservative fox news type dogma and he just became more and more angry and closed minded over the years. i asked him repeatedly not to talk to me about politics because it stressed me out and upset me and it just made him livid and he refused. we were friends for 15 years and one day he just stopped talking to me. didnt even have a fight, no words exchanged at all, the last communication was me telling him about my brand new job. he just couldn't handle that i didn't want to talk about politics constantly and that i wasn't on his fox news band wagon. i was very deeply hurt and angry. i'm still angry. especially since another close friend of ours had stopped talking to me the year before too (she just decided to disappear from our social circle, still not sure why). i had been sharing with him how much it hurt me that she did that and how worried i had been about her and then he turned around and did the same thing to me not long after - cut off communication without a reason, no closure, nothing.

i deleted his ass from my facebook and any other thing he could possibly see me on, steam, etc. if he doesnt want to talk to me he doesnt get to keep an eye on me from a distance either, and i know that's exactly what he would have done because i saw him do it with other people. he always hated lud and wasnt happy i married him and thought lud was a terrible influence on me. the truth of the matter is that this guy was becoming a terrible influence on me and lud is the best thing that ever happened to me. that guy became ultra toxic and it stressed me out just to talk to him. i tried to save the friendship for 2 years by saying things like we can disagree but i still consider you family and care very much for you, etc. but you know, family doesn't walk out on you without a single word so whatever.

so if anyone starts talking about politics around me and i start getting annoyed just know there's a really good reason for it. :)

I post Makeup stuff and Schnauzers on instagram.

Ludious wrote: »
    I react like a dyslexic crash test dummy. Hit the wall then the brakes.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    In an ideal world none of this would be necessary but we also fought a war over whether or not we could own other people or not, so, you know

baby steps

Sometimes people forget how much progress we, as a species, have made in such a relatively short timeframe.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

DoctorArch wrote: »
    Personally, I don't believe federal politics should even be local, so I would be happy to see people assigned to districts with a random number generator. Or better yet, to just hold house elections at the state level, like the senate. I think the idea of your congressman going to our federal government to argue for a sweet heart deal for his home town seems off. Better to let the federal government deal with big pictures and make broad allocations which can be divied up at the state level while the federal government focuses on bigger issues.

Unfortunately, as the 20th century kind of proved, everything at some point becomes a "bigger issue" that necessitates the federal government becoming involved. There's just a lot of argument about where that line between "small issue" and "bigger issue" should be drawn.

I don't think it's that hard. If the issue isn't important enough for the state senators to take it up, I think it is properly characterized as a state level issue.

It is not so much that I agree with you, I just don't think people in low population density rural areas should be representes.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    WE WILL BURN UTICA TO THE GROUND

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    For me there better be more representatives than doctors per 1000 otherwise it's a got dang crapshoot as to who these fuckers actually serve

down with representative democracy

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    North Dakota shouldn't get any votes! Their opinions matter 0%. Give all North Dakota's votes of South Dakota.

Massachusetts and Connecticut votes really should just be given to New York. Rhode Island's, Vermont's, and new Hampshire's to Maine. New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland's to Pennsylvania...

This works out!

well but there are a lot more people in mass than in n dakota

like 9 times as many

this is true

but the point is that we set a level for how many people you need in order to become a State, and they met that bar. Going back now and saying "well that's not enough, we don't like that, we should x instead" doesn't make any more sense than lumping votes together by land area does. :)

need to adjust for inflation

north dakota hasn't been hitting its numbers

balance sheets are a mess

time for a merger

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Can we just have an algorithm redistrict with the intent of representative government based on census data? It seems 100% insane to allow people to manually participate in this process. I mean, come the fuck on, America!

we can't because that's racist.

I'm serious, this is the reason why we can't.

Indeed, the people who primarily get counted properly in the census are white and at least wealthy enough to have time to deal with the census. It's mostly the poorest of the poor and minorities that don't get counted properly.

This is not correct - the "poorest of the poor", and anyone connected to government welfare or healthcare services, get counted accurately. It's the people a step or two up from that, or the people who are invisible to the system entirely (transients etc) that maybe don't get counted well (but we don't really have great info on whether that's true or just a talking point).

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    In Sharknado 3, which takes place in Washington D.C., Mark Cuban and Ann Coulter will be guest starring to play the roles of President and Vice President, respectively.

• Options
    we'll sell north dakota to a hedge fund, take it private for a few years, up the population and cut emigration to the bone, and then IPO as the 51st state suck it puerto rico

• Options
    The feudal system was the peak of the curve all along...

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    in the south we used to force local governments to adhere to shit that wouldn't stuff black voters into a single district or black voters all strewn about in 90%-white nabes because both are really hamfisted efforts at vote dilution

algorithmic redistricting is what some people want to happen simply because it would mean that the majority wouldn't even have to pretend to give a single shit anymore in those places where minorities most desperately need representation

the only argument that makes sense for why we would care about minority representation is that they're racially oppressed and need to have representatives at the national level to guard against it.

Which has historically born out to be true.

And I would say is still true.

I'm not making a value judgment on this idea. I'm just saying that it's an idea. With districting and racial representation, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I am a fan of there being a system where the state with the lowest population every ten years sets the stage for what is "one" representative, and then any state with that population +1 gets 2, any state with that population*2+1 gets 3, so on and so forth.

Let the size of the body flex in size every decade. And if there is an even number, give that seat to the state with the largest population that has not had that bonus seat the last time it came up.
    I had a hilariously cynical thought that they should also keep the salary pool the same. Thus, as the country gets bigger and bigger, the money that a representative gets paid gets smaller and smaller. The repercussions of this would be hilarious and awful. More corruption as representatives attempt to compensate for their reduced salary, but they would have less power because their votes become more diluted, etc.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Let's be honest no one would take Jersey

Just throw all their votes into the Hudson, no one even cares.

@Hakkekage sorry you've been made politically redundant.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    For me there better be more representatives than doctors per 1000 otherwise it's a got dang crapshoot as to who these fuckers actually serve

down with representative democracy

The patients per doctor can be good but you have to move from doctor to gp and probably throw in NPN and PA as well.

Though for access to care we use hospital beds per x people in an area since that tells us how many critically ill people can be treated in that region.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    liberals hate the hard working peoples of Real America and want to gerrymander their votes away

shocker

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    I think the house is already too large to be functional. Individual representatives actually matter very little. Its nothing but coalitions. But then I would ideally get rid of the states altogether and only have a large federal government with a small number of regionally elected senators as the sole congressional body, and all other issues handled by regional administrative boards and local government.

Yup.

They are! Literally, in fact.

States made sense when cross-continental travel was difficult. When controlling wide swaths of land was a challenge. When delivering mail required horses.

There is no god damned reason to have states anymore.

Or countries, for that matter. But good luck getting anyone to think that thought.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    North Dakota shouldn't get any votes! Their opinions matter 0%. Give all North Dakota's votes of South Dakota.

North Dakota matters so little that the Fargo TV show takes place in Minnesota!

Let's China North Dakota. Tell them they aren't a state anymore, they are part of South Dakota and they can protest and get mad but we just maintain our version of the truth until they give up.

minot ND was the most dreaded duty location in the air force when I was in the reserves

the story was that icicles would form sideways on chain link fences, and people would have to keep extra uniforms at the office because they'd routinely be snowed in at work

Why not Minot?

/has a buddy who was in the AF :)

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    tumblr_nkkg8kPnl01qk3xbuo1_500.jpg

did jon just gulp down dog cum?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I am a fan of there being a system where the state with the lowest population every ten years sets the stage for what is "one" representative, and then any state with that population +1 gets 2, any state with that population*2+1 gets 3, so on and so forth.

Let the size of the body flex in size every decade. And if there is an even number, give that seat to the state with the largest population that has not had that bonus seat the last time it came up.
    I had a hilariously cynical thought that they should also keep the salary pool the same. Thus, as the country gets bigger and bigger, the money that a representative gets paid gets smaller and smaller. The repercussions of this would be hilarious and awful. More corruption as representatives attempt to compensate for their reduced salary, but they would have less power because their votes become more diluted, etc.

Gangs start forming; a conch is passed around

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    oh it's x^2 + y^2 = a^2 shit let me get my eskimo hood

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

...I think so......

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

If not an edit that is amazing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

I have struggled with that comic for years.

Best I can do is that the cup contains puppy embryos.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

who hasn't

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Yup.

They are! Literally, in fact.

States made sense when cross-continental travel was difficult. When controlling wide swaths of land was a challenge. When delivering mail required horses.

There is no god damned reason to have states anymore.

Or countries, for that matter. But good luck getting anyone to think that thought.

Let us organize by social and ethnic lines.

Because that works out well.

We do not live in a society that is post national yet. And highly doubt we will in my lifetime.

Countries are are already super structures when it comes to political alignments.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

why would it be in a coffee mug

why would you need that in the first place

how did it get into the mug

so many questions

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    Guys

Im super excited about Firewatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5lyHZIzW8A

All I can think of when I hear "firewatch" is "WHAT THE FUCK IS FIREWATCH":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfsY-hkBmh0

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    also, more importantly, does dog semen look like coffee?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

so many questions

oh that?

that's my milkin mug

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Hockey Guy confused me because we were talking about the OG GB and then suddenly she is talking about the GBA and then stuff happened
    and now I dunno.
    No you confused me because we clearly were talking about the GBA OG as I started this damn conversation with photographic evidence

TTO you have been tried, judged and found wanting

Begin seppuku preparations

No... I kind of agree.

You were talking about your pink OG Gameboy and how it made you da coolest teen, but then admitted to having a gameboy color so you were never a teenager with an OG Gameboy.

Pink OG GAMEBOY ADVANCE
    Let's be honest no one would take Jersey

Just throw all their votes into the Hudson, no one even cares.

@Hakkekage sorry you've been made politically redundant.

I am the voice of the people

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Gangs start forming; a conch is passed around

Nancy Pelosi, face painted with the blood of members of the House Ways and Means committee, announces the dissolution of the Senate and instates herself as Grand War Priestess.

The fat and asthmatic junior representative from Wyoming facing the point of her makeshift spear lacks the support to successfully filibuster.

TL DR on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

so many questions

That nurse was jerking off dogs all morning.
    Quality Control for doge artificial insemination is lacking.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck someone asked if i was "sir landshark from PA forums" in postgame chat yesterday

he didn't claim to be a big fan though so i didn't screenshot it

no idea who it was tho

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

so many questions

You guys are missing the important part here. It's not that Jon accidentally drank dog semen. It's what the fuck was she planning on doing with the dog semen and Garfield?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    as part of my manager training i had to do this hour long course on the dangers of meth, since we sell some of the chemical precursors.

that hour long video instilled a proper unease in me wrt meth. it is not the problem drug in philly but apparently these white people out here love it.

don't do meth y'all

• Options
    @skippydumptruck someone asked if i was "sir landshark from PA forums" in postgame chat yesterday

he didn't claim to be a big fan though so i didn't screenshot it

no idea who it was tho

those LCS scouts, man

blowin they cover

• Options

so many questions

Right? And how did he get a dog uterus from a coffee cup? Why would he think the contents are coffee? Why would the cup be sitting out on the exam table?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    so i am in copenhagen for work next week

apparently i might have a comedy gig in sweden while i'm at it

life is weird

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    as part of my manager training i had to do this hour long course on the dangers of meth, since we sell some of the chemical precursors.

that hour long video instilled a proper unease in me wrt meth. it is not the problem drug in philly but apparently these white people out here love it.

don't do meth y'all

Breaking Bad. Best anti-drug PSA ever.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
This discussion has been closed.