As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Not Sorry [Feminism]

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    I've found that I like Kuchera a whole lot more on Twitter than I did when he was doing the PA Report.

kuchera's gotten some deserved flak for writing some really dumb articles in the past

but he's been on point since all of this GG nonsense got rolling

Yeah, Kuchera was.... not great, before this.

on topic

Brianna Wu is also on my "no fly" list for more recent stuff

How come? I follow here and she seems an OK sort. (Obviously I'm less attuned to problematic situations because so few of them are directed at any of my demographics, so it's probably something really obvious.)

On a different note, my fiancée was asked by her aunt today if she'd been practicing her "married" signature, assuming that she is taking my name.

My fiancée is actually double-barreling, so I told her aunt that she was perpetuating the patriarchy. She agreed.

she did a business meeting with a known GG figure/harasser/game developer known for spouting off fox news conspiracies, and publicly saying racist/transphobic/homophobic stuff

which really isn't the problem, business being business (though, he's not someone I'd ever do business with)

but then she had the gall to call him an ally, and say he's a nice guy afterwards
    basically, doing the privileged white feminism thing

non-intersectional as all hell

she also has taken great pains to distance herself from transwomen who have been targeted by GG and generally talked down to them

• Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    You guys have a title called "Shadow Chancellor?"

And his name is Ed Balls?

I guess those two kind of cancel each other out

We have a shadow cabinet too.

Just a cupboard in a dark corner.

The shadow cabinet are people from a party that is not in power who would be in the cabinet if their party was in the majority.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that explanation is not for me.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Is she trying to make friends with her enemies to shut them up?

What no go back and fix the bridges you burnt, tear down the bad ones you built and go focus on your Representative who is trying to help you. (I mentioned this in an earlier post)

I understand making stupid decisions to get out of a bad place, I really do. I can't tell if Brianna Wu is stupid or actually is a bigot. Or both.

I greatly and wholeheartedly disagree with the abuse she's getting, but lady this is not how to do things...

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Quite true, I grabbed the wrong post to quote.

It is not often I get to show off my knowledge gained from watching Yes, Minister on PBS.

Slacker71 on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    oh phew!! I was like "do I seem that daft?" haha

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    nuka wrote: »

What no go back and fix the bridges you burnt, tear down the bad ones you built and go focus on your Representative who is trying to help you. (I mentioned this in an earlier post)

I understand making stupid decisions to get out of a bad place, I really do. I can't tell if Brianna Wu is stupid or actually is a bigot. Or both.

I greatly and wholeheartedly disagree with the abuse she's getting, but lady this is not how to do things...

pretty sure she's racist/sexist/queerphobic in the way that most americans are
    in where they object more to being called those things more than they care about actually changing their faulty worldviews

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I have really been noticing recently how much time people spend uselessly proclaiming "I'm not racist!" or "I'm not homophobic!"

Whether you are or aren't one of those things, saying that you aren't isn't going to convince anyone who is inclined to accuse you of being that thing.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have really been noticing recently how much time people spend uselessly proclaiming "I'm not racist!" or "I'm not homophobic!"

Whether you are or aren't one of those things, saying that you aren't isn't going to convince anyone who is inclined to accuse you of being that thing.

Yeah, definitely an action speak louder than words thing.

Also, realistically, people should say something more along the lines of "It's not my intent to be racist" or "it's not my intent to be homophobic" because, despite intentions you may find yourself being both of those things without meaning to be. But if you put yourself in the mindset of "I'm NOT racist" it means you are less likely to reflect and engage in serious introspection of your actions, and thus stop learning and improving on those fronts.

I see too many people falling into the trap of going "Well I am NOT racist, so, I can say this racist thing/joke/whatever and not be racist because well, I'm not a racist!"

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Not enough people seem to understand that bigotry is equal parts words and actions.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    nuka wrote: »

She said she met with the guy to discuss things like his maternity leave policy, which is apparently a pretty good one? I guess even awful people can be right every now and then...

I was super disappointed when she mentioned it too because it only takes a short read through his twitter feed to see just how vile it is. I'm also pretty sure I've seen him talking with and supporting the very people who have been some of the biggest instigators in her harassment so it's odd that she'd speak to him at all.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Even people who are generally on the "right" side of things can have shitty, backwards views and attitudes, or can go about things in a way that's awful and gross. I mean, none of that obviously justifies any sort of harassment or death threats or whatever other awful shit has happened.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just found this thread and am making my way through it (page 16 now, still reading!) but I just want to say:

1) yay to this thread for existing!
    2) As I have gotten older, I have become more confident in saying things directly and to the point. I am partly happy about this - when the shit is thickly being shoveled on to me, I no longer accept it quietly and just hate myself and everyone, I instead say something and the shit shovelers definitely hate me for it but at least there's no more shit on me. I also at times feel aprehensive - maybe I am a bitch, maybe I'm asking for too much, maybe from other people's perspective I'm being "difficult." But still overall, I'm much happier now than I ever was as the meek, wilting "I'm so sorry, I'm wrong about everything" wallflower.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    That's some real disappointing shit to hear about Brianna Wu. Also that EA dude can get fucked. I'd retweet Ben Kuchera's tweets about it but he has me blocked because he didn't like a thing I tweeted at him a while back.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The only guarantee there is to the phrase " I'm not racist" is that some racist as fuck shit is about to be said.

Also, Grumblegoops, when 4chan, 4CHAN, is backing away from you for being creepy and disgusting, TAKE THE HINT

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    The only guarantee there is to the phrase " I'm not racist" is that some racist as fuck shit is about to be said.

Or that some one is about to be "clever"

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I don't like the idea of a massive subscription blocklist, but that's my fear of rogue AI speaking. All it takes is someone getting write access to the list to break up a whole lot of networks on Twitter. Also, you're putting it all in the hands of one person. Even if that person is thoroughly decent (in this case, we follow each other, so I think he is), they might not always make the right calls. The serially harassed obviously need something since Twitter keeps dropping the ball, but this method has issues.

MKR on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm not racist, but I am uncomfortable around earthlings.

They leave litter and human waste all over the place and generally act like they're just waiting to launch a coup

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MKR wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of a massive subscription blocklist, but that's my fear of rogue AI speaking. All it takes is someone getting write access to the list to break up a whole lot of networks on Twitter. Also, you're putting it all in the hands of one person. Even if that person is thoroughly decent (in this case, we follow each other, so I think he is), they might not always make the right calls. The serially harassed obviously need something since Twitter keeps dropping the ball, but this method has issues.

1) The guy who was mad at the blocklist is completely wrong about the way it works. Retweeting someone doesn't trigger the blocklist. 2500 didn't just get blocked from his account because of a blocklist. 2500 people just think Milo is a transphobic, homophobic, lying, harassing, sexist, refusing-to-pay-his-employees piece of shit and didn't appreciate ANYTHING he has to say being retweeted, no matter how "profound." Unless it was a tweet along the lines of "I've been a real piece of shit and I'm sorry to everyone I've hurt by it." 2) The autoblocker puts people on the list for who they follow, and the list of who you have to follow to get on the list is public, and the people on that list are decidedly assholes (like the aforementioned lying skeevy fraud). The code for the blocker is also public and free to use for anyone.

Another thing about Milo is that he's been run out of journalism before, but he keeps changing his name so people can't connect the previous scandals. In one of his previous iterations he was apparently a neo nazi! I guess "neo nazi" is just the scarlet letter of today, huh Chris Mancil? Like I guess we can't judge all neo nazis just because some of them are bad, right!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I'm not racist, but I am uncomfortable around earthlings.

They leave litter and human waste all over the place and generally act like they're just waiting to launch a coup

#notallearthlings

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm not a racist, but I only like golden oreos

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    On the Daddy Geeks group on FB someone posted the Reaxxion "article" about PAX booth babe ban.

Of course the article gets virtually everything about the policy wrong, does not cite anything and implies that this is a new policy rather than a very old one. He makes up his own shit and presents them as block quotes in the text and even riffs on the "First they came for the communists..." quote.

All in all it is gamergate nonsense.

I got into it with GG douches in the comments of the group. Basically how it was an old policy, this article gets it all wrong, the author of the article is intentionally misrepresenting things, this isn't an issue...etc.

I shit you not, one of those guys pulled this:
    "But this is a job for these girls and shouldn't we be concerned about making sure they have work in these tough economic times?"

1309699867558s.jpg

When I mentioned that the girls are STILL there but they just aren't allowed to have their nearly naked breasts hanging out for no apparent reason, I was then accused of trying to silence an opposing viewpoint and though the article source is not very valid there is still "truth" in what he is saying.

1308950574440.gif

I am going to leave this group.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

1) The guy who was mad at the blocklist is completely wrong about the way it works. Retweeting someone doesn't trigger the blocklist. 2500 didn't just get blocked from his account because of a blocklist. 2500 people just think Milo is a transphobic, homophobic, lying, harassing, sexist, refusing-to-pay-his-employees piece of shit and didn't appreciate ANYTHING he has to say being retweeted, no matter how "profound." Unless it was a tweet along the lines of "I've been a real piece of shit and I'm sorry to everyone I've hurt by it." 2) The autoblocker puts people on the list for who they follow, and the list of who you have to follow to get on the list is public, and the people on that list are decidedly assholes (like the aforementioned lying skeevy fraud). The code for the blocker is also public and free to use for anyone.

Another thing about Milo is that he's been run out of journalism before, but he keeps changing his name so people can't connect the previous scandals. In one of his previous iterations he was apparently a neo nazi! I guess "neo nazi" is just the scarlet letter of today, huh Chris Mancil? Like I guess we can't judge all neo nazis just because some of them are bad, right!

I know how it works. My concern is that some GGer might have the wits to hack into it and add all their boogeyfolk to the list. They're imagining a conspiracy, but game people do talk to each other, and it'd be at least a huge inconvenience if they had to go through unblocking everyone.

• Options
    FortyTwo wrote: »
    On the Daddy Geeks group on FB someone posted the Reaxxion "article" about PAX booth babe ban.

Of course the article gets virtually everything about the policy wrong, does not cite anything and implies that this is a new policy rather than a very old one. He makes up his own shit and presents them as block quotes in the text and even riffs on the "First they came for the communists..." quote.

I got into it with GG douches in the comments of the group. Basically how it was an old policy, this article gets it all wrong, the author of the article is intentionally misrepresenting things, this isn't an issue...etc.

"But this is a job for these girls and shouldn't we be concerned about making sure they have work in these tough economic times?"

1309699867558s.jpg

When I mentioned that the girls are STILL there but they just aren't allowed to have their nearly naked breasts hanging out for no apparent reason, I was then accused of trying to silence an opposing viewpoint and though the article source is not very valid there is still "truth" in what he is saying.

1308950574440.gif

I wonder if Jerry still thinks GamerGate has it's heart in the right place.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    and if someone hacks it, then what...?

it would further cement the reasons why folk block GGers, for sure

I don't think we should be paralyzed just because an asshole might do a thing

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I don't think they think much about it at all.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    and if someone hacks it, then what...?

it would further cement the reasons why folk block GGers, for sure

I don't think we should be paralyzed just because an asshole might do a thing

I'm not saying it's bad. It's better than being harassed. It's still good to talk about potential problems.

edit: Maybe not here though.

MKR on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

1309699867558s.jpg

1308950574440.gif

I wonder if Jerry still thinks GamerGate has it's heart in the right place.

For a second there I was like, "Jerry... Seinfeld?"

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I always found it interesting is that despite GG being about "Ethics in journalism", I have yet to see a GG actually bring up anything other than "Women Gamemakers sleep around..." I mean, looking for corruption in the game industry is like finding a fedora at a MRA gathering. It's everywhere, whether it's game companies gifting free stuff for positive reviews, companies shutting down not-so-positive reviews via sneaky means, obviously biased journalists, etc.

But nooo, they pick the "according to her ex, a gamemaker may have slept with a reviewer"

• Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    I am very glad it seems that most here have no truck with this GG nonsense.

• Options
    I am very glad it seems that most here have no truck with this GG nonsense.

Well, there are a few people around here who would still try to defend it, those people just wouldn't be caught dead in a feminism thread (at least until they do a forum-wide search for goobergrape and then they might find this thread and do a "well, actually" on us)

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Other than the bits of info I get from here I know of how rather dumb and unprogressive GG is.

But 4chan I thought was a place to avoid

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I always found it interesting is that despite GG being about "Ethics in journalism", I have yet to see a GG actually bring up anything other than "Women Gamemakers sleep around..." I mean, looking for corruption in the game industry is like finding a fedora at a MRA gathering. It's everywhere, whether it's game companies gifting free stuff for positive reviews, companies shutting down not-so-positive reviews via sneaky means, obviously biased journalists, etc.

But nooo, they pick the "according to her ex, a gamemaker may have slept with a reviewer"

These are people who glom on to Breitbart, which is responsible for no fewer than two manufactured scandals. If any of them cared about ethics, they'd look into that.

• Options
    I still can't believe the guy actually brought up the "worry" about booth babe unemployment.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Boss lady called me in to unironically talk about the beauty of a graveyard near an old insane asylum. I had to adjust
    I need a high level eligible bachelor.

Depending on your definitions of high, level and eligible, there still isn't any appropriate or even polite way for me to end this sentence in this thread! *smoke bomb*

Edit: Great, a draft got in there as well. Just great. Great.
    Boss lady called me in to unironically talk about the beauty of a graveyard near an old insane asylum. I had to adjust

Depending on your definitions of high, level and eligible, there still isn't any appropriate or even polite way for me to end this sentence in this thread! *smoke bomb*

Yeah, well it's a pretty great draft, so thanks for leaving it in. Sounds like the start to one of those collaborative story things.

my erection up under my waistband in an effort to hide it, I don't want her thinking graveyards get me going. When I saw the pictures of the asylum and graveyard on her screen, I had a sudden

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

I dunno, looking at what FortyTwo posted, it also seems like games at conventions cannot be properly logically analysed unless the women in the booth are wearing tight and/or skimpy outfits. It's widely known that serious journalists need to be looking at tits in order to wrote the deep and incisive commentary on game previews that the gaming industry respects and indeed insists upon. The only way currently known those stalwart gaming industry experts to evaluate whether a demo is solid, a preview is promising, or a developer is just bullshitting is to evaluate the ass of the nearest Babe Booth. If Babe Booths are not allowed to be and to be fetishized, how will the keen analytical minds at the conventions tell the good games from the bad?

Just another example of how Gamersgate brings the hard hitting, serious issues.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Yeah, well it's a pretty great draft, so thanks for leaving it in. Sounds like the start to one of those collaborative story things.

my erection up under my waistband in an effort to hide it, I don't want her thinking graveyards get me going. When I saw the pictures of the asylum and graveyard on her screen, I had a sudden

urge to run to a thread about feminism and talk about my boner.

• Options
    Then everyone died and became zombie surf feminists.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly there is a digital distribution videogame site that shares a name with the harassment campaign.

I wonder how bad of a PR problem the whole thing is for them.

This discussion has been closed.