As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Primitivism [chat]

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Trying to discuss the philosophy of art with drunk abdhy is in itself art

have you tried showing him pictures of boats and ice

I'm really confused as to why he does that, along with posting tumblr art stuff too

it's really not that important

what's confusing?

he is sharing a thing he likes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Having spent incredibly little brain power thinking about the definition of a poem I will go with a slightly abbreviated version of wikipedia's definition until such a time that I forget about it or find another one I like more

Poetry is a form of literature that uses qualities of language to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning

which works for me. I don't see any good argument for calling all language a poem. Pointless word, then.

I think it's absolutely fair to say that all language could potentially be a poem. Again, its all about the framing of it.

"Poetry" that doesn't make a substantial effort to compact a larger amount of meaning or emotion into the poem then you could get by simply speaking plainly is probably not poetry. It's more likely bad english that someone is hoping to obfuscate by claiming it's poetry.

I would need to do more research to confirm this hypothesis but I think it's a pretty solid starting point.

I really disagree with this. There is amazing prose poetry out there. Some of it's maximalist too

I don't have any good counter definition I'm just not on board with the notion that absolutely everything can be defined as a poemn, because then "poetry" is kind of a meaningless word

or, well, I just realized, "poetry is anything called poetry" doesn't include everything

I feel like the definition I want to formulate is one that says something about how poetry has a point more than just plain communication

the difference between going "5.99 please" because you want a man to hand you six dollars, and going "5.99 please" to set a scene or do something interesting with rhythm or evoke something or provoke a thought or

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Come on guys, words don't have meaning anymore we are a post-vocabulary society.

If you really had something to say you'd say it with emojisms.
    LFYftUZ.gif

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Trying to discuss the philosophy of art with drunk abdhy is in itself art

have you tried showing him pictures of boats and ice

I'm really confused as to why he does that, along with posting tumblr art stuff too

it's really not that important

because I like it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    new season of mad men starts next week

maybe i'll just put myself in stasis until then

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Come on guys, words don't have meaning anymore we are a post-vocabulary society.

If you really had something to say you'd say it with emojisms.
    LFYftUZ.gif

Are you accusing me of being a drunk college graduate wizard?

I don't even know. I just don't know. Once everyone has completed the shift over to emojism communication I will be all alone.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I know Goldberg attorneys phone # by heart because of their commercial jingle from when I was like 10.
    Call goldberg
    6 oh 1 4

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    As I sd to my
    friend, because I am
    always talking,—John, I

sd, which was not his
    name, the darkness sur-
    rounds us, what

can we do against
    it, or else, shall we &
    why not, buy a goddamn big car,

drive, he sd, for
    christ’s sake, look
    out where yr going.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I know Goldberg attorneys phone # by heart because of their commercial jingle from when I was like 10.
    Call goldberg
    6 oh 1 4

Five eight eight, two three hundred EMPIIIRREEE.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am more than happy to treat commercial schlock as high art. And so are plenty of other people. David Trinidad wrote summaries of Peyton Place episodes as Haiku. Richard Brautigan copied an anti-VD ad and called it a poem. Erica Baum took photos of Dog Eared book corners and presented it as Concrete Poetry.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Pizza in the morning,
    Pizza in the evenin',
    Pizza at suppertime!
    When pizza's on a bagel,
    You can eat pizza anytime!

has anyone ever wrote anything as deep as that shit?

@surrealitycheck

• Options
    I don't only do things that I think are important to the larger picture

I do very little of that sort of thing, actually

and none of the important things are about sharing art I like or random thoughts about whatever.

and yeah we could probably have a debate about what importance means but I think we're both talking about society and large and shit, right?

well, I just don't think a thought-provoking art piece is how that shit is changed

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    (it seems to be mainly done by talking with men in their 50s in my experience)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I am deeply skeptical about the reliability of that deep-seated cognitive sense of awe or newfound insight that occasionally turns up when reflecting upon art (or, drolly, working papers)

sometimes it really is a novel idea, but more often it is a coincidental synchronicity. oh, your brain goes. you kinda sorta filed a similar-looking idea away in working memory a while ago. here it is again, with the serial number filed off.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I have a draft saved for 'art [chat]'

it's just 'Voice of Fire'

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I am more than happy to treat commercial schlock as high art. And so are plenty of other people. David Trinidad wrote summaries of Peyton Place episodes as Haiku. Richard Brautigan copied an anti-VD ad and called it a poem. Erica Baum took photos of Dog Eared book corners and presented it as Concrete Poetry.

http://haiku.nytimes.com/

tumblr_nl3vrtxumX1s9exp4o1_1280.gif

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i will shower and eat some ikea meatballs and then sleep

poo
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I like the little in-joke in the Sonic Boom cartoon show where Sonic explicitly refuses to wear pants, a subtle but humorous jab at Sega's astonished response to some of the designs proposed by the new art team.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    or just shower and sleep...

poo
  • Options
    I'm not a big haiku fan

they're kind of overplayed and it wasn't a terribly interesting form in english to begin with

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    tsuyu no yo wa
    tsuyu no yo nagara
    sari nagara

• Options
    I'm not a big haiku fan

they're kind of overplayed and it wasn't a terribly interesting form in english to begin with

when haikus are good, they're real good for me

• Options
    I like poetry, though

I attribute that to avoiding writing more than one poetry analysis in fifteen years of schooling. Nothing better for making you loathe poetry.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    the thing i dislike about that eddy is that it's just counting out the formal arrangement of a haiku

lots of people think that haiku have to be 5/7/5

there are plenty of things (like the above) that don't really qualify as haiku despite fitting the metrical restrictions

and there are plenty of haiku that do not fit the metrical structure but are

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Having spent incredibly little brain power thinking about the definition of a poem I will go with a slightly abbreviated version of wikipedia's definition until such a time that I forget about it or find another one I like more

Poetry is a form of literature that uses qualities of language to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning

which works for me. I don't see any good argument for calling all language a poem. Pointless word, then.

I think it's absolutely fair to say that all language could potentially be a poem. Again, its all about the framing of it.

"Poetry" that doesn't make a substantial effort to compact a larger amount of meaning or emotion into the poem then you could get by simply speaking plainly is probably not poetry. It's more likely bad english that someone is hoping to obfuscate by claiming it's poetry.

I would need to do more research to confirm this hypothesis but I think it's a pretty solid starting point.

I really disagree with this. There is amazing prose poetry out there. Some of it's maximalist too

I agree that poetry that takes more words to say less is amazing.

Just not the good kind of amazing. I also don't find those 8,000 page fantasy novels with endless descriptions of people's breakfast entertaining.

I'm probably just being picky.

every time GRRM orgasms over capons and juices dribbling down chins like waterfalls, I spend seven years finding myself in tibet

lol'd in my cubicle

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I like poetry, though

I attribute that to avoiding writing more than one poetry analysis in fifteen years of schooling. Nothing better for making you loathe poetry.

I've analyzed poetry pretty heavily and I love it

it's all about what you're interested in

Eddy on
  • Options
    when a haiku is great it's pretty special.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    haiku is a great exercise for learning to write sharp images

aside from like, gary snyder, i see little reason to read anyone aside from the three masters

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Art is a very poor means of trying to create a specific change in society. Art can change things, but how often is it intentional and the results expected?

Probably less effective than a letter writing campaign TBH.

• Options
    I'm not a big haiku fan

when haikus are good, they're real good for me

Me too, but like, it's not because they're haikus. They're just... I dunno, well chosen words written well.

but like, the thing of making anything into a haiku

it's just, it doesn't get anything from me anymore

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    youtuber in the obnoxious atheist vein
    [Jesus Christ as] "power-hungry and malicious but deceive others into thinking they are both compassionate and kind"

[on followers] "completely delusional and ignorant, and have absolutely no sound logic or knowledge about him that is grounded in reality"

(so what else is new)

... has been arrested and will be charged under the sedition act

uh

ok

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I like poetry, though

I've analyzed poetry pretty heavily and I love it

it's all about what you're interested in

yeah but like in the lower levels of school you don't get to analyze a poem you find interesting

you get to analyze this poem, fuck you.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4fObmAImA

speaking of art

holy shit this looks like so much fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Art is a very poor means of trying to create a specific change in society. Art can change things, but how often is it intentional and the results expected?

Probably less effective than a letter writing campaign TBH.

Art is an interesting barometer of cultural values, and they propagate, through their expression, values and etc of mainstream society

This is why feminism likes looking at depictions of women in media; precisely because art is important as a learning tool for behaviors, norms, and attitudes

• Options
    but nah, you guys are right - art isn't important at all

• Options
    mrmr

robert creeley is good

a little outside of my interests these days but definitely someone to read

• Options
    Ronya, my facebook feed has been filled with Lee Kuan Yew memorial stuff

there's a weird messianic vibe to a lot of them, though

to the point where I wonder if they're basically just Christian things with the numbers filed off

"during your times of trial and suffering, when you only see one set of footprints, it was then that Lee Kuan Yew carried you"

• Options
    viewing art as a utilitarian act toward revolution is a mistake to begin with

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    that applies both ways: you cannot rationalize its value as in contributing toward defeating ideological fascism, because frankly it isn't very good at that either

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    youtuber in the obnoxious atheist vein
    [Jesus Christ as] "power-hungry and malicious but deceive others into thinking they are both compassionate and kind"

[on followers] "completely delusional and ignorant, and have absolutely no sound logic or knowledge about him that is grounded in reality"

(so what else is new)

... has been arrested and will be charged under the sedition act

uh

ok

Welcome to the Concrete Island Jungle, we've got sedition laws and a really interesting self-censoring press?

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
This discussion has been closed.