As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Better Call Saul] S'All Good Man

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Haha, was that Trevor Philips?

That was exactly my though too!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Chuck's Illness:
    Great odds on his symptoms manifesting around the time Jimmy starts up his own practice? With what we know now, Chuck repeatedly taking phone calls from the monkey asking for more ammo for his machine gun could have been enough for him to feel ill whenever his phone rang.

Then forced him into indentured servitude bringing him food, ice, fuel, etc.
    I wouldn't exactly say forced. I mean, Chuck is sick. Jimmy wanted to help him.

Which is the real knife in the back here, Jimmy has not only brought this case to his brother, he also has shown a great deal of responsibility in caring for him for the past whoever knows how long.
    The best bit is that the case he does bring his brother? That is a rock solid case that will make innocent people's lives better while the loser is giant thieving business. If he's a monkey with a machine gun he's managed to point it at some pretty bad guys! Does Chuck even notice this? Nope.

Chucks whole reasoning is stupid
    If he is so worried about his brother messing up why not have him under his supervision at HHM. Then when Jimmy messes up just report him and let him sink or swim? Personally I think Chuck is an enabler who doesn't want his brother on an equal playing field. Maybe I'm reading too much into his character.
    They're not equals. Chuck is a superb lawyer, Jimmy is struggling with the basics, setting up a staged accident and accepting a bribe. I'd be weird about making Jimmy a bigwig at my law firm, too.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Chuck
    is a piece of shit. I don't buy for a second that he thinks Jimmy would be dangerous at his firm.

He just thinks it's been too easy for Jimmy. Jimmy didn't work hard like Chuck. Jimmy didn't go to the right school like Chuck. Jimmy doesn't take the law seriously like Chuck.

The man's ego is fucking priceless.

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Chuck
    is a piece of shit. I don't buy for a second that he thinks Jimmy would be dangerous at his firm.

He just thinks it's been too easy for Jimmy. Jimmy didn't work hard like Chuck. Jimmy didn't go to the right school like Chuck. Jimmy doesn't take the law seriously like Chuck.

But he's right. He's still Slippin' Jimmy except he hasn't been caught lately.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Chuck

And that, of course, has nothing to do with the fact that
    his fucking piece of shit brother has been blackballing him and fucking him in the ass at every turn

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Except all of Jimmy's scams to date have been born out of desperation to try and get his practice started.

The man lives in his office in the back of a day spa for Christ's sake.

Why would he be out scamming people if he had a good job at a prestigious law firm?

RT800 on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Chuck

No no no he's not right. Jimmy has been busting his ass.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Chuck

He's only gone slippin Jimmy the last couple times because of circumstances. He's made a couple different big decisions that were super not slippin Jimmy lately.
    Of course, we know he's gonna end back up in the illegal shit but I can't help but feel for him. If he hadn't spent all that time trying to make HMM work with him only to have his brother be blackballing him....

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Chuck

his fucking piece of shit brother has been blackballing him and fucking him in the ass at every turn

It's true he should have been straightforward. Laid it out plainly. He's still right.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Haha, was that Trevor Philips?

That was exactly my though too!

It's the guy that did his VA and he was pretty much dressed as him so I like to think it was actually Trevor. Breaking Bad and GTA shared universe!

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    Chuck

??
    He's been playing Bingo with seniors to scare up some business. Any business.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Chuck

It's true he should have been straightforward. Laid it out plainly. He's still right.
    Not the Jimmy I've been seeing!

I mean, what shady shit has he done? There's the situation with the skateboarders--which he did because he's broke and needed a client. There's the whole billboard situation--which he did because he's broke and needed a client. Accepted the Kettlemans' bribe--because he's broke, and ultimately he returned the money.

Broke, of course, at least partially because he's spending so much time and money supporting Chuck.

When it comes to his actual work as a lawyer, he's worked hard and stayed well within reasonable bounds of the law. I think the only thing Jimmy's done that's really thrown any kind of question on his worth as a lawyer is manipulating Chuck into helping out with paperwork. But even in that case, if he worked with a real law firm like HHM, he'd have that kind of assistance and wouldn't need to manipulate others.

I can understand not accepting Jimmy into the firm as an associate immediately. His law degree is from a diploma mill, and it makes sense to make Jimmy prove himself as a public defender first. But the rest of it is just Chuck sitting on his high horse.

• Options
    Chuck

??

I don't understand why that's a bad thing.

He needs clients. He's advertising so he can get clients.

Is he supposed to chill out in the backroom of the nail salon and hope clients come to him? That hasn't worked so far.

• Options
    Chuck

??

Is he supposed to chill out in the backroom of the nail salon and hope clients come to him? That hasn't worked so far.

He's not busting his ass with a few living wills on the side. Business is slow, free time is plentiful.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Chuck

??

He's not busting his ass with a few living wills on the side. Business is slow, free time is plentiful.

I question if you've been watching the same show I have.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Chuck

??

What the fuck.

Are you even watching this show?

Bubby on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The worst part is that
    Chuck’s right. He’s still Slippin’ Jimmy.

Now, I think that Chuck has handled this in a particularly cowardly and despicable way (and there’s a bunch of personal petty jealousy/self-righteousness issues going on), but we’re also talking about allowing his con-man brother to play with live ammo/the future of the firm.

Chuck knows that Jimmy’s heart is in the right place-- I don’t think that’s in question. However, he knows that Jimmy cuts corners and from Chuck’s perspective that’s exactly the weakness you exploit to win. Taking a bribe, the billboard, Tom Sawyering the wills at Chuck’s, etc. All of those are things that could not only fail a client, but also open up a world of hurt for the practice and expose innocent people (and Jimmy) to damages and possibly jail time.

It’s like Mike’s advice to Whitecollar Pillman, you can be a good or bad person on either side of the law. From what we’ve been shown, Jimmy’s a pretty darn good person, especially lately- but he’s still a criminal.

Of course, none of that excuses not just saying “Oh hey Jimmy, I’m worried about these things, maybe we start you off on something smaller,” but that’s where the ego steps in.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    He's not slippin jimmy!

That's like saying someone's a thief when you lock them in a room with a loaf of bread for a week and tell them not to touch it, and after a week of no food they finally devour the bread out of desperation just so you can bust through the door with your arms held high and scream "HAHA I KNEW YOU WERE ALWAYS A THIEF, THIEF!"

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    All I can say is, as someone who came super late to BB (managed to get caught up with the series when there were all of 2 episodes left) I am super, super enjoying watching this every week. Can't wait for the finale and next season.

And yeah, all of Mike's scenes this week were amazing. Half the reason I'm happy BCS is a thing is 'cause it means more Mike.

• Options
    He's not slippin jimmy!

That's like saying someone's a thief when you lock them in a room with a loaf of bread for a week and tell them not to touch it, and after a week of no food they finally devour the bread out of desperation just so you can bust through the door with your arms held high and scream "HAHA I KNEW YOU WERE ALWAYS A THIEF, THIEF!"

That's the magic of this show. We know Jimmy is crooked but we still consider him a swell guy and we'll make up outrageous excuses and parallels to defend him. We're all under his spell.
    On the flip side, Chuck's a conceited sneak but his assessment of Jimmy is accurate; Jimmy has goals now but people don't change. Despite a lifetime of diligent service to his clients as a straight-as-an-arrow law genius, fans still spew venom Chuck's way because he hurt Jimmy and we love Jimmy.

• Options
    He's not slippin jimmy!

That's the magic of this show. We know Jimmy is crooked but we still consider him a swell guy and we'll make up outrageous excuses and parallels to defend him. We're all under his spell.
    On the flip side, Chuck's a conceited sneak but his assessment of Jimmy is accurate; Jimmy has goals now but people don't change. Despite a lifetime of diligent service to his clients as a straight-as-an-arrow law genius, fans still spew venom Chuck's way because he hurt Jimmy and we love Jimmy.

We're not under any spell, he's not yet the corrupt asshole he was in Breaking Bad, and we're angry to see that what set him on that path was
    his shitheel arrogant cockknuckle brother who betrayed him at every turn because he was riding high on his smug as fuck high horse.

Like I said, you cant call someone a thief if you starve them for a week before taking a loaf of bread, and you can't call Jimmy a Criminal (yet) because at every turn he's been slapped down.

• Options
    He's not slippin jimmy!

Chuck's diligence and success doesn't really matter here. You can be a good, hard working lawyer and still be a shitty person.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    There's something to Jimmy that's a little bit scummy, but it's the kind of scummy that only wanders so far across the neutral line. He spilled coffee on a cop so his client could lift his notebook, but only out of loyalty to his client and a distrust of the cops breathing down his neck. He used a couple of scammers to get a case, but it was a case he had every intention of working honestly.

Latest episode:
    Not to nerd too hard, but he's basically a chaotic good guy that his brother thinks is just straight up evil.

And Chuck's line about how he was proud that Jimmy had a mail room job really makes it clear that it's not at all about Jimmy's morals, it's about taking what Chuck sees as the only right path. Yeah, Jimmy got a degrees mill diploma. He also passed the bar, studying while working a garbage job. Man's a lawyer. He worked as a public defender, and he put up a good fight for actual scum, because he's a lawyer. Chuck seems to value the law as the word of God, and anything that deviates from his views on the law is unforgiveable.

I hate to dumb it down too much, because it's obviously more than this, but Jimmy's basically a dirty fighter with a heart of at least, like, 10 karat gold.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Latest episode:
    Not to nerd too hard, but he's basically a chaotic good guy that his brother thinks is just straight up evil.

And Chuck's line about how he was proud that Jimmy had a mail room job really makes it clear that it's not at all about Jimmy's morals, it's about taking what Chuck sees as the only right path. Yeah, Jimmy got a degrees mill diploma. He also passed the bar, studying while working a garbage job. Man's a lawyer. He worked as a public defender, and he put up a good fight for actual scum, because he's a lawyer. Chuck seems to value the law as the word of God, and anything that deviates from his views on the law is unforgiveable.

My wife's in kind of a similar situation as Jimmy.
    We've been teaching at international schools, and while she doesn't have an education license, she's really skilled and experienced at teaching ESL. There's been a number of classroom teachers who won't give her ideas or skills the time of day, just because she didn't go through the same education process they did. Not everyone, fortunately, but enough to make things difficult.

This episode's made her like Jimmy a lot more. :)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    About Chuck,
    I did think it's about time somebody called Jimmy on that American Samoa law degree, but he sure took his time voicing his concerns. Not a word at the time except, wow that's impressive, good for you, while just filling up with bile and spite. Going to cloak & dagger lengths to sabotage the plans of the person who shouldered the burden of caring for him through his 'illness.'

Jimmy isn't the Walt of this series. Chuck is. The Law is Sacred is just Respect the Chemistry in a foil-lined suit.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Jimmy's law school is not terribly prestigious, but passing the bar is passing the bar. The law says he is a proper lawyer, no matter what some arrogant fuck might think to the contrary.

Jimmy's is a story of attempted redemption. More accurately, it's a story of an addict trying to recover. Giving up those smokes is fucking hard, and what's happening here is a certain self righteous asshole is waving cigarettes in front of Jimmy's face so that when he slips up he can say "I told you so."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Jimmy's law school is not terribly prestigious, but passing the bar is passing the bar. The law says he is a proper lawyer, no matter what some arrogant fuck might think to the contrary.

Jimmy's is a story of attempted redemption. More accurately, it's a story of an addict trying to recover. Giving up those smokes is fucking hard, and what's happening here is a certain self righteous asshole is waving cigarettes in front of Jimmy's face so that when he slips up he can say "I told you so."
    I've been in a position like Jimmy's before. Not with in regards to law, but very samey circumstances including the care. Seriously, this episode hit home way too hard and I've simply got one thing to say:

Newest episode spoilers:
    Fuck. Chuck.

Anyone who says
    "People don't change"
    needs a serious reality check.

Edit: Yeah, I know he's Saul in BB. I know what he turns into. As far as I'm concerned though, I'm dealing with the Jimmy now and what's happened up to this point.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    for how many years has Jimmy been working his dead end lawyer gig only to have his brother stab him in the back behind the scenes and drain his pocket book?

Sure jimmy may have 'slipped' but the cause was his brother and his desperation for work to support him and his brother

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Fuck Chuck, the least he could have done was be straight to his brother but he was too much of a coward to do so. I'm sure Jimmy earned his reputation as Slippin' Jimmy, but at least give the guy a chance or tell him he has no chance, don't string him along for years all the while undermining him from the shadows.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So I just realized that one of the guys on BCS is the guy who plays Todd in Last Man On Earth.

I am now pretending those shows exist in the same universe.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So I just realized that one of the guys on BCS is the guy who plays Todd in Last Man On Earth.

I am now pretending those shows exist in the same universe.

Last Good Man on Earth.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Regardless of whether you think Jimmy is Slippin' Jimmy due to circumstances or because he's the kind of person that wants to be a con man, I think we can all agree that Chuck had not been the better person.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Chuck is, in his mind, protecting himself.
    It's like the foil. He doesn't want to be associated with some rent-a-lawyer that has relatively little experience working the law. He passed the bar, sure, but University of American Samoa? That's bad for higher end business. Can you imagine extraordinarily powerful clients getting the McGills mixed up, and how Chuck imagines that kind of thing happening?

Much like his apparent illness, his assumptions about his brother are misplaced. The assumptions (my brother is only a criminal/magnetic fields force me to stay in my house) themselves are significantly more harmful than reality. Just like he's too cowardly to leave the house, he's can't bring himself to reveal his disdain for the other McGill.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    vDbgS7w.png

• Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    vDbgS7w.png
    He also has a bit part...
    on Broad City, and it's amazing!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPW_lwU_Hwc

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Mike's scenes were all pretty badass but
    he still should've brought a gun.

I mean seriously. You can do all the research in the world, but you still don't know how a thing's gonna go down until it does.

Better safe than sorry.

RT800 on
  • Options

I mean seriously. You can do all the research in the world, but you still don't know how a thing's gonna go down until it does.

Better safe than sorry.

DARE NOT QUESTION THE EHRMANTRAUT

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Better safe than sorry.

He had plenty of guns at his disposal.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    The intent of that scene was so fucking blatant, and I loved every second of it.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    There's something to Jimmy that's a little bit scummy, but it's the kind of scummy that only wanders so far across the neutral line. He spilled coffee on a cop so his client could lift his notebook, but only out of loyalty to his client and a distrust of the cops breathing down his neck. He used a couple of scammers to get a case, but it was a case he had every intention of working honestly.

Latest episode:

I hate to dumb it down too much, because it's obviously more than this, but Jimmy's basically a dirty fighter with a heart of at least, like, 10 karat gold.
    Fuck Paladins Chuck.

As somebody who was a pretty supreme fuckup as an adolescent, who has gone on to be a very successful adult, whose family still only sees the fuckup way more often than is valid I feel for Chuck. The only thing separating me and him is while my family still resents me for things that I did literally over a decade ago, I was able to go out and attain success on my own terms because they weren't stabbing me in the back and sabotaging me for years on end. If they had? I probably would have slipped too, fuck.

And fuck that guy who said people can't change. I'm more successful than either of my siblings now, and I'll probably be supporting my dad and my awful stepmom in their old age, and I'm not even sure any of them will ever appreciate that or any thing I do because of dumb shit I did a third of my life ago.

Fuck. Chuck.

Also, while Jimmy's Law degree was a little bit funky, everybody in this thread seems to be forgetting that motherfucker finished his Bachelor's at a local community college (“They’re not just for draft dodgers and yoga classes!” - Jimmy McGill), and then studied for and passed the motherfucking bar (which isn't fucking easy to do) all by his fucking lonesome, all while working in the goddamn mail room!
    And then his brother told him he was proud of him. And then his brother fucking used him. Was Jimmy's path to law easier than Chuck's? Maybe.

OTOH maybe Chuck didn't have to work his way through school, and maybe Chuck's parents helped him out a lot financially while they let Jimmy twist in the wind even as he was trying to claw his way out of the pit he'd dug himself. I know that's certainly been the situation with my fucking dad. Goddamn.

Giggles_Funsworth on